Good songs by bad artists

jimmyjazz

So enough talk about shitty songs, bad bands, etc.  Share with me some good songs by artists who . . . weren't good.  Basically, "yeah, I can't stand that band, but you know that ONE song was pretty great".  This is tricky, because it forces the admission that maybe some horrible singer or band actually put 2 and 2 together one time and got 4.  A couple of examples:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Britney Spears - Toxic 

Was actually written by a pop music dream team and originally "offered" to Kylie Minogue. All the sampling, guitar, etc. had nothing to do with the actual "artist." That said, Beyonce would have been perfect.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Grandioso said:

Britney Spears - Toxic 

Was actually written by a pop music dream team and originally "offered" to Kylie Minogue. All the sampling, guitar, etc. had nothing to do with the actual "artist." That said, Beyonce would have been perfect.

Since somebody said this, i'll also add bye bye bye by Nsync. 

16 hours ago, Grandioso said:

Britney Spears - Toxic 

This was going to be my submission. 

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've always liked that tune.  Is the rest of their stuff really bad?

I've always liked it too. And it benefits from the fact that I actually didn't listen to it much when it came out. I just heard it whenever it was on the radio. So I never got sick of it like I did with so many other songs from the era. 

34 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I don't get the Henley hate. I mean yea he's kind of a prick but he's talented af. And he is from Texas.

He's definitely a mega-talented singer, and he's written enough classic lyrics to be called one of the greats as a songwriter.  But man, when he misses ("Get Over It"), wow.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

He's definitely a mega-talented singer, and he's written enough classic lyrics to be called one of the greats as a songwriter.  But man, when he misses ("Get Over It"), wow.

Wouldn't that belong in the bad songs by good artists thread?

Taylor Swift "Wildest Dreams"

I'm not sure she's a bad artist so much as she mostly plays a crappy style of music.  She writes some really good tunes, and when she just plays with an acoustic guitar or piano, I dig it.  But her albums are digital pop crap.  Much like John Mayer, she shows these flashes of her musical genius, but settles for making stuff that she knows will sell.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

has Joan Jett written any good songs?

Miley Cyrus actually fits in a weird sub category of .... artists who get hate but actually tend to be pretty good.  Or at least, Party in the USA and Wrecking Ball are both great songs and she's a monster vocalist.  But I doubt she wrote any of those songs.  Taylor Swift would as well except I don't think she gets lumped into that category.  Katy Perry also in that category.  But again I take this as being about songwriting.

17 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

17 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I don't get the Henley hate. I mean yea he's kind of a prick but he's talented af. And he is from Texas.

15 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Good point. I forgot what thread this was. Lol at Don fucking Henley being a bad artist.

I absolutely think he's a bad artist. Don Henley writes self-indulgent soft-rock schlock that espouse all of the absolute shittiest values of the baby boomer generation. Boys of Summer included. BoS only kicks ass because Mike Campbell wrote the music. Don Henley is a shitty artist, and an even shittier human. #HotTakes #ComingInHot

5 hours ago, Mole said:

I think I might actually like this version better than the Replacements version.

In 2007 if you had told me that the guy from Against Me would be a chick, and got together with Joan Jett and Hannah Montana to knock a Paul Westerberg song out of the park, I would have laughed in your face.

37 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

In 2007 if you had told me that the guy from Against Me would be a chick, and got together with Joan Jett and Hannah Montana to knock a Paul Westerberg song out of the park, I would have laughed in your face.

Yeah, that's pretty good.  I prefer the 'mats and their boozy stumble, but the idea of getting those 3 together to cover that song is inspired.

Weird video.  It LOOKS to be all live, but the sound of the backing track screams studio.  Maybe the singers were live.  I'd have to watch it again.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, that's pretty good.  I prefer the 'mats and their boozy stumble, but the idea of getting those 3 together to cover that song is inspired.

Weird video.  It LOOKS to be all live, but the sound of the backing track screams studio.  Maybe the singers were live.  I'd have to watch it again.

I prefer the original as well, but that could have been so much worse.

I suppose Laura Jane Grace is a big Replacements fan, so she was probably going to keep it from going off the rails.  To your point, it does sound awfully slick, but I've seen a few of those well produced up close, controlled live recordings have similar sound quality.