Bachelor/Bachelorette/Paradise Catch-All

C-Man

As far as I know/has been discussed publicly, Harrison’s leave of absence is only for the After the Final Rose. He may indeed be removed from the franchise completely, but he is a producer and has been with Fleiss since Day One, so who knows if he’s erased from the scene. I suspect there will be a very public mea culpa (more so than  what’s already been done) and they’ll hope it blows over. Rachel Lindsay’s response will be important to his future. That’s just where we are. 

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

What a crazy turn of events. Was this all for his comments about the plantation party? It was definitely a bad look, but that seems like a swift, drastic move. I’ll give Acho a chance, but I think this is gonna hurt the franchise. Everyone liked Harrison.

the way he quickly defended the show/current contestants (which is something he always does) was the issue.  he didn't really get into the specifics of what the girl did, but definitely implied that hey, some things that might not be ok now were totally cool 2 years ago and deal with it.  it was a bad look at a bad time and it took him a while to inject some common sense into his response.

i think it's shitty if he loses the gig altogether over this but that doesn't mean it won't happen.  people need to learn to read the room, and if they're not ready to say the right thing (or think the right thing) then they need to have a better non-answer answer ready to go.  he didn't have one of those.

Most people think that the reason for Harrison’s staunch defense of Rachael’s actions is that she wins. He did it the wrong way but he was trying to protect the franchise. The producers are sure to take that into consideration when deciding his future. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

the way he quickly defended the show/current contestants (which is something he always does) was the issue.  he didn't really get into the specifics of what the girl did, but definitely implied that hey, some things that might not be ok now were totally cool 2 years ago and deal with it.  it was a bad look at a bad time and it took him a while to inject some common sense into his response.

i think it's shitty if he loses the gig altogether over this but that doesn't mean it won't happen.  people need to learn to read the room, and if they're not ready to say the right thing (or think the right thing) then they need to have a better non-answer answer ready to go.  he didn't have one of those.

yeah that argument usually comes across better when it's ~10+ years ago and not 2.  

I also think he's defending people he knows.  He clearly gets (got)along with both Rachels and assume if he were in a position to, he'd defend Lindsay as well.  

Think he got hard done so far, but also think he stepped a little too close to the line if not slightly over to be 100% absolved.  Think the reaction on both sides is more about other issues than this one specifically.  

Interesting how many more posters this thread gets in the future lol.

26 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Most people think that the reason for Harrison’s staunch defense of Rachael’s actions is that she wins. He did it the wrong way but he was trying to protect the franchise. The producers are sure to take that into consideration when deciding his future. 

Yeah, he felt compelled to protect RK (and as TT noted, the franchise itself) since he knows how the season played out. But he was such a dumb ass in his response. 50 million people have been to Antebellum parties? He used the phrase “woke police” in his defense? Not bright, Chris.

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Hook 'Em 1

Sticking to the episode.  Didn't catch all of it, but was a little surprised that most of them kind of felt the same way.  Did think Anna was sorry.  Tough thing to own (and worse to say).  Victoria was pretty much, "yeah I was wrong, BUT...." and everyone else seemed to feel about each other as they did during the season.

4 hours ago, pied said:

Sticking to the episode.  Didn't catch all of it, but was a little surprised that most of them kind of felt the same way.  Did think Anna was sorry.  Tough thing to own (and worse to say).  Victoria was pretty much, "yeah I was wrong, BUT...." and everyone else seemed to feel about each other as they did during the season.

yeah, we watched some of it last night and i just ~watched the end today.  i thought it was hilarious that victoria was basically both-sides'ing the issue.  "yeah, i understand that i was horrible and mean, but since then, online, people have been horrible and mean to me for how i treated everyone on the show, so i don't really feel like i owe anyone a real apology, because i feel like i learned my lesson."

lulz.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, ajax said:

You know, if as a result of the recent controversy The Bachelor/Bachelorette shows became all-black or majority black, I would start watching again. That would be a fun show.

without getting too racist/racial, i personally have no issue watching a show with a white star and mostly white contestants, or black star and mostly black/mixed contestants (or any combination of people they end up with).

it was my understanding that the contestants are largely based on the preferences of the bachelor/bachelorette.  the format and structure of the show (or at least the first 5-6 weeks of any season) are what i like.  and i don't see a reason to have a diverse pool of contestants if that's not what the star wants, just because abc thinks they're "listening" or "learning" from the conversation.

if there's some dude or chick who knows she doesn't want to date/marry a particular race of person, i see no reason to overload with contestants that don't have any shot.

and yes, it's obvious in my scenario that i am the bachelor, and redheads are the ones with no shot.  gtfo you white walker pale looking weirdos.

Saw Harrison's interview this morning on Good Morning America w/Michael Strahan.  Harrison was apologetic and offered no excuses.  Certainly planned but there was not, "I'm sorry, but...."  just ~"I'm a bad guy and trying to learn and get better...."  Didn't see or hear anything out of the ordinary I guess.

After the interview, Strahan says that it didn't go below surface level and was pretty dismissive.  I don't know what he's normally like, but it seemed like a pretty hot take and likely intentional.  Clearly the interview was pre-recorded and he had time to craft his post-broadcast response.

47 minutes ago, pied said:

Saw Harrison's interview this morning on Good Morning America w/Michael Strahan.  Harrison was apologetic and offered no excuses.  Certainly planned but there was not, "I'm sorry, but...."  just ~"I'm a bad guy and trying to learn and get better...."  Didn't see or hear anything out of the ordinary I guess.

After the interview, Strahan says that it didn't go below surface level and was pretty dismissive.  I don't know what he's normally like, but it seemed like a pretty hot take and likely intentional.  Clearly the interview was pre-recorded and he had time to craft his post-broadcast response.

I did not watch all of the interview as I only caught the end. Based upon my limited viewing and listening to what Harrison said and then hearing what Strahan said, my initial thought was “WTH Strahan, what do you want him to say?”

IIRC, Strahan even cited all of the things that Harrison was doing; learning, see an expert, etc.

Edited by mininghorn88

27 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

I did not watch all of the interview as I only caught the end. Based upon my limited viewing and listening to what Harrison said and then hearing what Strahan said, my initial thought was “WTH Strahan, what do you want him to say?”

IIRC, Strahan even cited all of the things that Harrison was doing; learning, see an expert, etc.

Yeah, not sure anything he said would have been ok after hearing Strahan. 

watched a little here and there.  Nothing exciting.  Missed the part where he talked to his dad.  Apparently that has thrown Rachael Lindsay off, because it reinforced a stereotype.  May go back and watch that part but not sure I want to keep going down that rabbit hole

watched a little here and there.  Nothing exciting.  Missed the part where he talked to his dad.  Apparently that has thrown Rachael Lindsay off, because it reinforced a stereotype.  May go back and watch that part but not sure I want to keep going down that rabbit hole

That was about the only interesting part last night. His dad was like, “Hold on, son. I came home one day and your mom had split with you.”

And Matt said, “Dad, it’s because you were constantly cheating on her!” Pops still didn’t quite get it.

(Of course the irony is/was Matt was about to lay the wood to three different women in three nights on this “reality” show.)

IMO he sent home the best of three with Bri. I liked her. Rachael is nuts.

Acho seems to be edging for a permanent role.  Would seem hard for them to put Harrison back I think.

The on-air personality and best-selling author replaced Harrison following an ongoing racism controversy for the franchise — which currently has its first Black bachelor in Matt James — that saw the longtime host step away for a period of time.

Explaining a little bit of what happened, Acho recalled that Harrison tried to go to the defense of Rachel Kirkconnell, who became the subject of scrutiny after images surfaced on social media of Kirkconnell attending an "Old South" plantation-themed college party in 2018. "Chris Harrison, he was — as he would admit — was ignorant and he was arrogant in saying that in 2018, what Rachel Kirkconnell did wasn’t that bad, Chris Harrison’s words, not necessarily my own," said Acho. "And we’ve all kind of acknowledged and called to the attention, ‘no, no, no, in 2018 it was just as bad. We are more aware now, but 2018, acknowledging and dressing in the attire of an Antebellum south plantation is just as bad as it is today."

Colbert went on to ask Acho if had an opinion about whether Harrison should "be dismissed for good for this, or [if] this is an opportunity for education and redemption?" Acho was quick to note that he "doesn't believe in cancel culture." Though, as he explained, he does believe in accountability.

"For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction and that can be a law of Newton or that can just be basic common sense," said Acho. "[Harrison] had an action and he is currently dealing with the reaction from that. Should he return to that role, you have to decide, what’s in the best interests of Chris Harrison? What’s in the best interest of the show and the executive producers, but also, what’s in the best interest of the cast? They’re trying to commit to diversity, they had their first Black bachelor, what’s in the best interest of all three of those primary parties at play, and make the decision that serves the most good."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/emmanuel-acho-on-whether-chris-harrison-should-return-to-hosting-the-bachelor-i-dont-believe-in-cancel-culture

Edited by pied

5 hours ago, zman13 said:

I thought Acho did a great job as the host. He's much better than Harrison. 

James wasn't having any of Rachel. The rejection of the hug was awkward/hilarious at the same time. 

Acho's suit looked like it was shrunk by the dry cleaner.

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

They’ve taken away the pleasure and left only the guilt. 

Well put.

12 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

Matt has so poorly handled this season that I'm likely to just delete the DVR queue and stop watching for a while.  Bring back BIP, or I'm out.

You'll get back-to-back helpings of Bachelorette and like it. BiP isn't coming back until next summer -- if then.

18 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

That was part of the draw for me. At times, it was so fucking awkward I was squirming in my seat. I had to avert my eyes when he practically had to throw them off the stage at the end.

It was like an episode of the Bachelor mixed with Nathan For You. 

ok, so i stopped watching the week before hometowns, and have read stuff here and a couple articles.  obviously rachel won, and obviously they're not still together.

so without getting this thread sidetracked into anything political or racial or woke or whatever people want to call it - i'm having some trouble making sense of the exact chain of events.

so matt obviously liked rachel.  both matt and rachel knew matt was black.  matt spent a ton of time with rachel, and one would have to assume in all that time, matt never felt like rachel was racist, or had that type of hatred in her heart, or however you want to explain it.  so then the show's over, and the social media pics come out (other than old south, i had heard there were a couple other problematic photos but can't remember them exactly). 

and then matt breaks things off because...he thinks she's racist now?  or realizes she was racist in 2018?  or maybe racially insensitive in 2018?  or he can't be with someone who thinks (or thought) it's ok to go a party like that?  i'm not defending her or the show (which is what harrison got in trouble for), and i'm not really defending or attacking matt's decisions either, but the timing is hinky. 

when people get accused of racial insensitivity, often times the accusers don't personally know the accused.  and people who defend them say nonsense like, "he/she doesn't have racism in their heart" or whatever the fuck.  but this is a very rare instance where matt and rachel were in a private relationship, away from cell phones and instagram and just with each other, and obviously fell for each other.  but once the shit hits the fan now (about 2018), matt rethinks it and breaks it off?

either stick up for her and say you'll work on things together, or time it better.  matt made bad decisions all season, and this seems like yet another one.

also when we saw clips, the wife said, "i would divorce you if you grew your beard like that."  keep in mind, i've had a beard since before she met me.  that's how gross she thought it was.

maybe some of this was addressed in the show, so my bad,

also bip til i die, let's fucking go.

• Hook 'Em 3

HG, many or your thoughts echo some of what I was thinking, but I said “fuck it” and deleted, because it’s hard to try and have a reasoned take without the internet taking it the wrong way. 

In episode one, he literally told Harrison he didn’t want his choices resulting in “pissed off black people,” and then literally said as the product of an interracial marriage, he “was both (Black and white),” so he didn’t want to be pressured into choosing a certain race, just because he was the first “Black Bachelor.” But after the Rachel photo came out (she also apparently either criticized someone on social media for dating a Black guy, or “liked” such criticism), and the groundswell arose, he then felt compelled to end things with her, either due to his own beliefs or pressure from the circumstances. That’s why I wrote above he looks miserable. Because he is. 

The guy was not there to find a wife or even a serious girlfriend. I believe they call it clout. It was a convenient out for him. What I’ve seen doesn’t make Rachel racist. She was ignorant. Who wasn’t at that age? I believed what she was saying last night. She’s taken way too much shit for this.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, that’s a great post. Very reasoned. I think he just didn’t dig her. That happens. When you look at it, you’re right the reasons don’t make a lot of sense because he’s trying to work this angle in. 

Plus he doesn’t come off as genuine. One of the worst guys for this show they’ve had. Don’t think he knows what he’s looking for or ready. 

• 4 weeks later...

So, to the shock of no one, Colton Underwood jumped over the fence and now out of the closet.

Former “Bachelor” star Colton Underwood sat down with Robin Roberts on April 14 for a deeply personal interview, revealing that he is gay.

In the interview, Underwood, who is also a former pro football player, was emotional revealing the truths he learned about himself during quarantine.

“Obviously this year’s been a lot for a lot of people, and it’s probably made a lot of people look themselves in the mirror and figure out who they are and what they’ve been running from or what they’ve been putting off in their lives. For me, I’ve ran from myself for a long time and I’ve hated myself for a long time, and I’m gay. I came to terms with that that earlier this year and have been processing it,” Underwood told Roberts. “The next step in all of this was sort of letting people know. I’m still nervous, but it’s been a journey for sure.”

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/bachelor-colton-underwood-gay-gma-1234950849/