The LOST binge thread- discussion which includes the spoiler function

Goo Punch

Alright people, we can do this. Let’s discuss the show while appropriately using spoiler tags. Baboon is currently running through the series and is ~6 or 7 episodes in I believe. I’m watching it for my second time through right now and I’m on season one episode 11. Great, great show that gets an overly bad rap for what was admittedly a less-than-ideal inning. Lost’s best seasons and episodes match up with just shit any show ever, particularly on network TV.

the first 3 seasons (some would even say 4) are on par for me with mad men, sopranos, breaking bad, the wire, and west wing.  also, 3 seasons of lost was 72 episodes, which compares only to west wing in sheer volume.  parts of 4-6 were fantastic, but they just had too steep a hill to climb, and there really was no home-run ending possible, as they created too many unanswerable questions.  to me, the mystery was the thing, and i had a feeling, even if explained thoroughly, that it wouldn't be completely satisfying, so the ending didn't break my heart.

with the possible exception of the first few eps of s3, there really isn't a lull.  my favorite episode of all time is "through the looking glass", but my favorite mini-arc is definitely the henry gale storyline.

i was 23 years old when the americans came to my country.  i was a good man.  i was a soldier.  and when they left, i was something different.  for the next six years, i did things i wish i could erase from my memory, things which i never thought myself to be capable of.  but i did come to learn this.  there is a part of me that i'm always capable of.  you want to know who i am?  my name is sayid jarrah...and i am a torturer.

also...

but still i did not believe it to be true.  so i dug up that grave and found that there was not a woman inside, there was a man. a man named henry gale.

thus my long love affair with sayid.  watching week to week was absolute agony back then.

I started to do a re-watch but it's tough because there are just too many episodes, and too many especially that are half-filler. I ended up fast forwarding through most of the flashbacks. Instead I just periodically re-watch some of my favorite eps, which isn't something I'd do on, say, The Wire.

ETA: I didn't start watching it week-to-week until S4, and I really didn't find myself fully invested until the stretch run of S1 when I was binging. Needless to say I cruised through S2 and S3, at least as much as I could during the days of Netflix disc delivery. It was always a couple of loooong days waiting for that next disc.

Edited by drewcifer

Experiencing LOST as the show aired was one of the most enjoyable experiences I'v ever had with a TV show.

The early seasons were right before DVRs became a thing so I always made sure to clear my schedule on Wednesday nights because it was LOST night (or watch it the next day on ABC.com)

Then you spend the whole week discussing online what happened and everyone had a theory about what was coming next.

You really don't get that experience by binge watching it.

That was why it was one of my, if not the #1, favorite show ever.

• Like 1

FYI, for as you're catching up, I highly recommend pausing after each ep and spending some time on Lostpedia (maybe check our Sepinwall's reviews, too). It won't give you the full experience that Bobby Light mentioned, but you can capture part of it.

• Like 1

I think it suffers from setting up a lot of situations that require a mystical resolution. Instead of resolving them, the show brushes them away. I'm perfectly okay with a mystical explanation but resolution is required.  In the end, who was Jacob? What was the Island? What was Walt? etc.  I liked that feeling of dread when the Others first showed their face and took Walt.  Explaining the Others with the Dharma Initiative felt shoehorned in to give the show a grounding in reality when it did not need or warrant that.

I have a bad feeling Stranger Things is going down the road as well by trying to make the Upside Down too based in reality when it shouldn't be at all.

Edited by CooterBrown

5 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Yeah, my bad. I enjoyed the show in it's first few seasons, then it just became a convaluted mess and I bailed. Carry on...

that just shows how great it was for 85 episodes (or longer) that people judge the rest so harshly.  it was merely "really good" for most of the last 40 episodes and many people shit all over it because they didn't get all the answers they wanted.

meanwhile, silicon valley started to slide after 20-25 episodes and some people are still giving it a pass saying it's "better than most of what's on tv".  25 episodes of a comedy.  i think we've gotten spoiled with good tv.

10 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

my favorite episode of all time is "through the looking glass",

Without a doubt my favorite TV episode of all time.

Charlie’s death, Hurley running over The Others, Not Penny’s Boat, and finally, the Jack and Kate airport scene. That final scene blew my mind in a way that no other show has ever managed to do. MM, BB, The Wire, GoT — none of them had that crazy of a “holy shit” moment.

I also agree with others that the Lost experience was elevated by watching it live with a week in between with lengthy seasons. The writers’ strike happened around S3-S4 and we all threw a fit when they announced future seasons would only have 16 episodes. That’s unheard of today. Network TV (and for the most part, cable TV) was otherwise shitty. Lost broke the trend, it was presented in glorious HDTV with a gorgeous location and gorgeous cast, and it created discussion that only X-files could rival, except with the added benefit of internet message boards. It was incredible.

Not sure where it ranks for me. Definitely top 4 with Mad Men, The Leftovers, and GoT. Yeah yeah, something about Breaking Bad and The Wire, but they both fell a little short for me personally.

Edited by wild_turkey

1 minute ago, drewcifer said:

Michael Giacchino is fantastic.

100%.

oh, and raise your hand if you've ever been somewhere like cvs and the elevator music is playing lightly in the background, and you hear "make your own kind of music" and you smile to yourself.  try singing that song in your head without seeing des riding his stationary bike. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Bobby Light said:

Experiencing LOST as the show aired was one of the most enjoyable experiences I'v ever had with a TV show.

The early seasons were right before DVRs became a thing so I always made sure to clear my schedule on Wednesday nights because it was LOST night (or watch it the next day on ABC.com)

Then you spend the whole week discussing online what happened and everyone had a theory about what was coming next.

You really don't get that experience by binge watching it.

That was why it was one of my, if not the #1, favorite show ever.

I had the same experience and feelings about the show.  Loved it!

13 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Without a doubt my favorite TV episode of all time.

Reveal hidden contents

Charlie’s death, Hurley running over The Others, Not Penny’s Boat, and finally, the Jack and Kate airport scene. That final scene blew my mind in a way that no other show has ever managed to do. MM, BB, The Wire, GoT — none of them had that crazy of a “holy shit” moment.

I also agree with others that the Lost experience was elevated by watching it live with a week in between with lengthy seasons. The writers’ strike happened around S3-S4 and we all threw a fit when they announced future seasons would only have 16 episodes. That’s unheard of today. Network TV (and for the most part, cable TV) was otherwise shitty. Lost broke the trend, it was presented in glorious HDTV with a gorgeous location and gorgeous cast, and it created discussion that only X-files could rival, except with the added benefit of internet message boards. It was incredible.

Not sure where it ranks for me. Definitely top 4 with Mad Men, The Leftovers, and GoT. Yeah yeah, something about Breaking Bad and The Wire, but they both fell a little short for me personally.

Lost was escapist television. It transported you to this mysterious place, and you were motivated to try to figure out the mystery episode by episode. Still my favorite. 

The two episodes mentioned above are pure greatness. Watching the show live with the internet message board was a amazing experience, I am not sure it can be duplicated. 

Westworld comes close, but too many people wait and binge it. 

I've said it before, but by far the best experiences I've ever had watching a TV show were during Lost episodes (particularly The Constant and Looking Glass), and that's worth something to me.  And I didn't love a number of aspects of the final season, but the ending never bothered me all that much.  My personal island theory survived intact, and explained everything, so I left satisfied.   The only thing that keeps me from rewatching is all the filler inserted throughout to extend the show. 

• Like 1

Random observation I thought of last night after I watched E6. 

Spoiler

Why the fuck did the dad who got into the fight with the Korean decide it would be a good idea to cut him free by cutting the handcuff chain with an axe? Don't you think those cuffs might come in handy later? 

On 6/9/2018 at 4:38 PM, henrygandorf said:

at this rate baboon is gonna take longer than 6 years to finish.

Troof. When you have a houseful of chaos like I do I'm lucky to get everyone in bed and watch an episode a night. Today we had workers over cutting down 2 very large trees, a flag football game at 2 (preceded by practice at 1), and then cub scout end of year picnic at park, which I bailed early on to go to the grocery store so I could pack lunches for tomorrow. Life is glamorous. 

Just finished E10.

Spoiler

So that Ethan dude is the French lady's son I'm guessing. 

On 6/8/2018 at 9:11 PM, Mojo Hand said:

I've said it before, but by far the best experiences I've ever had watching a TV show were during Lost episodes (particularly The Constant and Looking Glass), and that's worth something to me.  And I didn't love a number of aspects of the final season, but the ending never bothered me all that much.  My personal island theory survived intact, and explained everything, so I left satisfied.   The only thing that keeps me from rewatching is all the filler inserted throughout to extend the show. 

The Constant was an incredible episode. 

• Like 1

Weird how some episodes grab some people and others don't/grab others. As mentioned earlier I didn't think E4 was all that compelling. For some reason the dipshits stalking through the jungle in E11 really hooked me. I'm full in now. I should be done with Season 1 by September. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2018 at 10:44 PM, Dutchrudder said:

The first 3 seasons were some of the most compelling TV drama I have ever seen. I absolutely loved it up until S4 when things went bonkers. I still slogged through it, but whenever I rewatch any of it, I stop after Through the Looking Glass. 

man i just don't get it when i see this line of thinking.  season 4 was GREAT.

i just googled "shaggytexas.com lost season 4" and found a thread started by....bigorange, discussing theories from march, 2008.  then googled "hornfans lost season 4" but only found the finale thread.  someone with superior search skills and more time to kill could probably locate our individual episode threads which likely didn't start on hornfans until season 2 or 3.  i specifically remember leading the charge on some of the early season 3 episode threads.

i never understood how people could post during an episode, but man, i was on that thread right when it was over.

since 2000, i can probably count on one hand the number of shows that were truly "event" viewing, not just "oh hey, look what's on my dvr now."  shows that i couldn't wake up and deal with people the next day if i hadn't seen it yet.

lost, breaking bad, mad men, game of thrones...

The most unrealistic part of this show is how many grueling treks they went on where they invited Hurley. 40+ survivors, yet out of everyone they need Hurley to walk 12 miles uphill on a tropical island multiple times. 

Edited by Goo Punch