The LOST binge thread- discussion which includes the spoiler function

Goo Punch

She's way hotter in this than elsewhere.

I finally realized why I can't keep the names straight in this show. Frankly it's a bit embarrassing. Charlie. Charlie is Jack. Charlie Salinger. In the back of my head he will always be Charlie. It throws everything else for a loop. I've got Locke and Kate. And maybe Sawyer. But the rest of them are a mish-mash because I can't keep Charlie and Jack straight. 14 in. 

Just finished season 1. I'm remembering what it felt like the first time through. I'm just sitting here like, "I have got to stop assuming that I have a clue what's going on!" Shit is crazy yo.

Favorite characters to this point:

1)Sawyer

2)Locke

3)Sayid

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

Ok not spoiler tagging this because I don't believe it to be spoiler worthy. 

S1:E17 Flashback to Jin working for Sun's father. Jin visits some guy to deliver a message that the Godfather is displeased and the guy's daughter is watching TV and on the TV is a commercial with Hurley in it????? WTF

11 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Ok not spoiler tagging this because I don't believe it to be spoiler worthy. 

S1:E17 Flashback to Jin working for Sun's father. Jin visits some guy to deliver a message that the Godfather is displeased and the guy's daughter is watching TV and on the TV is a commercial with Hurley in it????? WTF

if this makes you say wtf, you in for some shit, bubba.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going through this again slowly, haven't rewatched since the original airing of the series finale. I'm on like S1E8, when the cave collapses and Sayid is trying to get the radio signal. It's not quite as gripping as I remember, but I do recall binging through S1 during the S2 run. I saw the premier while over a friend's place and got hooked, so I had to go back and watch Season 1 in a week to catch up for the weekly get-togethers to watch each episode as it aired. This was back in my sophomore year of college, so about 5 of us would crowd into a dorm room and watch it each week. Good times.

When I watched the show I liked to look at the sets and think about where the scenes were shot around Hawaii. The plane scenes were filmed in a special plane used in lots of Hollywood movies, its something like a real plane taken apart in a studio in LA. Everything else is in Hawaii until the final season. There is something like an abandoned YMCA camp where a ton of the series was shot, then there are old WWII bunkers for other scenes, and they have a plant person who puts plants everywhere to make the same jungle area look like different places on the island. Lots of blue screen shots to get the mountains to look right too.

On 6/6/2018 at 2:17 PM, drewcifer said:

FYI, for as you're catching up, I highly recommend pausing after each ep and spending some time on Lostpedia (maybe check our Sepinwall's reviews, too). It won't give you the full experience that Bobby Light mentioned, but you can capture part of it.

I can't recommend this enough. I used to go to What's Alan Watching to get his insight after each episode. He seemed to always catch little things or connections that I missed.

i'm about 65% thru season two now, and after a few episodes that we're getting a little too soap opera-y for my tastes, the show has picked back up. here's why:

(still keeping the spoilers a little nondescript just in case some newbies can't help themselves and want to read ahead)

the french woman captured someone who she believes to be one of "the others", and we've seen sayid, mr.eko, locke, and ana lucia all have a go at him. last night when i stopped watching the prisoner had sent ana lucia and sayid out into the jungle with a map...could leas to his balloon, could be a trap. we finna find out!

Edited by Goo Punch

On 6/26/2018 at 4:29 AM, Goo Punch said:

what was the general consensus on jack the first time through? i didn't like him the first time i watched and and i don't like him now, even though he's ostensibly the protagonist of the show.

Just got back from a week out of town myself. Watched one episode last night (S1:E22). Started E23 but fell asleep last night. Rewatching now. 

One thing that I find hilarious (no spoilers) are the randoms. Like all of a sudden 8 guys jump out of the woodwork to help the main cast with a random task. Shouldn't everyone know everyone else by this point?

On 6/26/2018 at 3:29 AM, Goo Punch said:

what was the general consensus on jack the first time through? i didn't like him the first time i watched and and i don't like him now, even though he's ostensibly the protagonist of the show.

He was a bloody gaping asshole for almost the entire series run.  Fucking hated him.  Locke should've let him drop off that cliff.

1 minute ago, Dutchrudder said:

Don't remember when Julliette shows up (just finished S1E11), but she had nice cheeks and a great smile. I recall liking her voice a lot, it was very soothing. Kind of a milf vibe going on. Nttawwt

like a hot therapist or school counselor, with a great rack.

So Goo (and others), I've been watching but I admittedly haven't really gotten hooked. It's kind of a thing to pass the time and it's mildly entertaining. Just hasn't really gripped me yet. The end of Season 1 I think might have done it, and I watched 3 episodes last night (S2 1-3). However, all of that being said, here is what keeps going through my head. There is no way they can tie all of this shit together. It's entertaining but there's no way you can tie:

Spoiler

An invisible robotic monster, secretive jungle people, magical unlucky lotto numbers, a mystical buried hatch, a dude living in the hatch that previously randomly encountered Jack in a stadium and gave him advice, a girl that Jack met in the airport lounge and maybe switched seats with and is now one of the secret hidden people, a guy who used to be paralyzed but now is Bear Grylls, etc etc

I just get the sense (again maybe because I know from chatter that the ending and last few seasons of the show were not great) that they aren't going to tie any of this up. I'm a tie up person. I'm ok with some intrigue but if all of the above randomness does not have some kind of explanation I'm probably going to be irritated. 

15 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

So Goo (and others), I've been watching but I admittedly haven't really gotten hooked. It's kind of a thing to pass the time and it's mildly entertaining. Just hasn't really gripped me yet. The end of Season 1 I think might have done it, and I watched 3 episodes last night (S2 1-3). However, all of that being said, here is what keeps going through my head. There is no way they can tie all of this shit together. It's entertaining but there's no way you can tie:

Reveal hidden contents

An invisible robotic monster, secretive jungle people, magical unlucky lotto numbers, a mystical buried hatch, a dude living in the hatch that previously randomly encountered Jack in a stadium and gave him advice, a girl that Jack met in the airport lounge and maybe switched seats with and is now one of the secret hidden people, a guy who used to be paralyzed but now is Bear Grylls, etc etc

I just get the sense (again maybe because I know from chatter that the ending and last few seasons of the show were not great) that they aren't going to tie any of this up. I'm a tie up person. I'm ok with some intrigue but if all of the above randomness does not have some kind of explanation I'm probably going to be irritated. 

i'm not going to tell you what they do and do not tie up, but i wouldn't worry about what you're worried about at this point.  what you don't realize is that every season really has a totally different direction and agenda, so you really don't have any idea where it's going.

like i said, enjoy the ride, you'll get plenty of answers.

+1 on the mr. eko love.  

i haven't watched lost since the finale aired, but i keep telling myself one day i'm gonna go back and rewatch the entire series.  i love that enough time has passed that i completely forgot about mr. eko.  i figure if i wait a few more years i'll have forgotten everything but the major plot points (ie, "we have to go back!") and it'll be fun to rewatch without knowing exactly whats about to happen.

also, anyone who is a fan of lost and hasn't watched the leftovers is missing out.  it's damon linedlof doing what he does best: mysteries, broken characters, deeper meanings, etc and the score is just as good, if not better, than the lost score.  it's only 3 seasons and like 30 total episodes so the story telling is much more compact than lost and the acting is phenomenal.  basically my point is if you like lost, watch the leftovers.  

• Like 1