The LOST binge thread- discussion which includes the spoiler function

Goo Punch

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i just read your last few posts.  i'm glad you got through season 3.  the first few episodes of season 3 were not my favorite either.  there was a lot of complaining on the old hornfans boards about them.  the end of season 3 was fantastic, in my opinion, and is well worth the ride.

end of season 3 through The Constant is amazing TV.

• 1 year later...

In season 2 of another rewatch. This show is just so good. I just realized that the orientation film for the Pearl station never mentions anything about the swan station or the button. It was just good writing and great editing with characters looking off to the side at the monitors showing the swan that the heavy implication was that the button was fake which setup a great fake out at the end of the season. 

Also, Mr. Eko is the bomb.

Edited by Pasken

• 3 months later...

Just finished up my 3rd run through the show and I’m still as on edge and excited/sad as I was the first time.   Now that I’m 12 years older and about to become a father, I’m also liking the ending even more.   

the religion/philosophical coupled with some hardcore physics sidebar is about how I live in the world.   It makes me happy, sad, and inspired all at the same time.   What a great fucking show 

• Like 1

When Lost was a ratings hit for its first few seasons, the other networks tried making serialized dramas, the ones with long plot lines from one episode or season even to the next. I think there were several sci-fi mystery serialized dramas on broadcast tv in the next couple years, but I can't remember the names of any of them. Can anyone help me out?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Juliet > Kate both in looks and personality. Kate was just a regular ole thot who would run back and forth between the two alpha males, depending on which one was giving her the most (or sometimes least) attention at the time. Juliet was just a straight up slamming hottie with a kind personality who you know is down to clown. She's the total package. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Juliet > Kate both in looks and personality. Kate was just a regular ole thot who would run back and forth between the two alpha males, depending on which one was giving her the most (or sometimes least) attention at the time. Juliet was just a straight up slamming hottie with a kind personality who you know is down to clown. She's the total package. 

Juliet had some brains behind those knockers as well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm watching this for the first time, just finished up Season 2.  It's a damn good show, lots of twists and turns.  And it's really fucking ambitious; I'm surprised a network like ABC gave it a green light.

I can't put my finger on it, but it feels a *little* dated.  Maybe it's because the quality of TV has been turned up to 11 recently.   Can't fault it, it's been 15 years.

And speaking of hot chicks Michelle Rodriguez had a rockin spinner bod in Season 2.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/3/2020 at 6:57 PM, Mach 1 said:

I'm watching this for the first time, just finished up Season 2.  It's a damn good show, lots of twists and turns.  And it's really fucking ambitious; I'm surprised a network like ABC gave it a green light.

I can't put my finger on it, but it feels a *little* dated.  Maybe it's because the quality of TV has been turned up to 11 recently.   Can't fault it, it's been 15 years.

And speaking of hot chicks Michelle Rodriguez had a rockin spinner bod in Season 2.

Did you watch Alias? I thought Abrams took Alias and Lost on the same path: didn't have a clear meta-arc, and the conspiracy got away from him.. Started out with a cool, unique story idea and interesting characters. First three seasons spent about 50% on character development and 50% on the meta-plot. Around season four the meta-plot got too big and to confusing to pull back in to anything that made sense ... last seasons spend little on characters and trying to tie up discombobulated plot.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

I threw in the towel a few episodes into Season 5.  The show was all over the place with the time travel shit.  Ain'tnobodygottimeforthat.gif

I read how it wraps up.  I think I made the right decision.

Seems like a wise move. That’s about when shit starts to hit the fan plot wise,  IIRC 

On 9/11/2020 at 11:42 AM, Kyle said:

Did you watch Alias? I thought Abrams took Alias and Lost on the same path: didn't have a clear meta-arc, and the conspiracy got away from him.. Started out with a cool, unique story idea and interesting characters. First three seasons spent about 50% on character development and 50% on the meta-plot. Around season four the meta-plot got too big and to confusing to pull back in to anything that made sense ... last seasons spend little on characters and trying to tie up discombobulated plot.

Very good analogy. I loved the first season of Alias, but Mystery Box Abrams let it get away from him. Lost was exactly the same. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2020 at 6:57 PM, Mach 1 said:

Every time I rewatch this show I'm shocked at how insanely hot Michelle Rodriguez is in it 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Experiencing LOST as the show aired was one of the most enjoyable experiences I'v ever had with a TV show.
The early seasons were right before DVRs became a thing so I always made sure to clear my schedule on Wednesday nights because it was LOST night (or watch it the next day on ABC.com)
Then you spend the whole week discussing online what happened and everyone had a theory about what was coming next.
You really don't get that experience by binge watching it.
That was why it was one of my, if not the #1, favorite show ever.

It has the highest Ven diagram concentration of "quality" vs "frustration" in the history of television.

The two most accurate takes on this thread. Watching it in real time was fantastic and made for good water cooler convo. However it became clear as time went on that JJ Abrams was really good at concepts and really bad at endings.

5 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

The two most accurate takes on this thread. Watching it in real time was fantastic and made for good water cooler convo. However it became clear as time went on that JJ Abrams was really good at concepts and really bad at endings.

this may be true, but the ride is so fun, and so few shows have truly satisfying endings anyway. 

also, i gotta give a shoutout to the score of this show. at first it's a bit jarring, almost like the music takes center stage. not gonna lie, i chortled a few times at first when the ominous music would start playing. but once you get used to it, it seriously accentuates the show. 

On 9/11/2020 at 9:42 AM, Kyle said:

If you like Lost the spiritual successor is From.  They are doing a lot of the same things, both the good and the bad. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

If you like Lost the spiritual successor is From.  They are doing a lot of the same things, both the good and the bad. 

I've never, ever heard of this show.  Is it on a weird channel or platform like Freeform or Shudder or something?

• 2 months later...

I'm currently rewatching the show with my kids--10, 8, and 6 (possibly too mature, especially for the youngest but whatevs)--and they're all enthralled by it so far. A really fun rewatch with them... and we haven't even gotten to The Others yet, aside from that punkassbitch, Ethan.

• Like 1