My H.S. Coach and 51' Longhorn Died

SHOOTER12

Tried to find appropriate thread to post this in, but could not find anything.  Thought he deserved a mention though, he was a great guy and loved Texas all his life.

Ferdinand Burket IV

Ferdinand “Ferdie” John Burket, IV,  of Jourdanton, Texas, passed away at age 85 on Tuesday, March 27, 2018, surrounded by his family. He was born January 9, 1933, in San Antonio, Texas, to Ferdinand John Burket, III and Anna Regina Zotz Burket.

Raised in San Antonio, Ferd was a 1951 graduate of St. Gerard High School. He excelled in football, baseball and basketball, and he earned a full football scholarship to the University of Texas. While at UT he played quarterback and was a proud member of the National Championship Team of 1951 that won the Cotton Bowl.

After an injury, Ferd returned home to rehab, and later joined the US Army, playing football for them in Germany. After his military service, he received a football scholarship to Southeastern Oklahoma State University, where he met and later in 1959 became engaged to the love of his life, Glynda Ray. A year later Ferd and Glynda were married.

Ferd was drafted by the Baltimore Colts in the 14th round in 1959. He played for the Colts, followed by play for the Saskatchewan Roughriders and Montreal Alouettes for a total of six years.  While in the Canadian Football League (CFL), he set records for most yards rushing, longest punt and most touchdowns (5) in a single game; some of these records still stand today.  Ferd’s accomplishments in sports were acknowledged by these honors:  St.Gerard’s “Athlete of the Half-Century” and inductions into these Halls of Fame: St. Gerard High School, Southeastern Oklahoma State University, and Pleasanton High School.

After a career-ending injury in the CFL, Ferd and Glynda returned to Texas, where he continued his love of sports as a coach, Athletic Director, and teacher at Pleasanton High School. He also invested his time and savings in his treasured career as a rancher and cattleman, surpassed only by his most important time spent in being a loving, supportive husband and father.

Full obit at:

https://www.pleasantonexpress.com/articles/ferdinand-burket-iv/

15 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Sounds like a wonderful man.  RIP.

I do haz a confuse about "was a proud member of the National Championship Team of 1951 that won the Cotton Bowl."  Not that I was alive, but I don't remember a natty in 1951.

I don't either, don't know where the author came up with that one.  I do remember seeing something online about a month ago about "unclaimed" NC's for Texas and think 1951 may have been included.   Thank God we don't put that crap on walls like some people do.

In reference to his playing days and football skills, I don't know how well he punted as a young man, but as our coach he could punt the ball like nobody I had ever seen.  He used to embarrass the hell out of our kickers when he was working with them.  Not to mention that in 1975 he could still bench 400lbs.

Edited by SHOOTER12

24 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I don't either, don't know where the author came up with that one.  I do remember seeing something online about a month ago about "unclaimed" NC's for Texas and think 1951 may have been included.   Thank God we don't put that crap on walls like some people do.

In reference to his playing days and football skills, I don't know how well he punted as a young man, but as our coach he could punt the ball like nobody I had ever seen.  He used to embarrass the hell out of our kickers when he was working with them.  Not to mention that in 1975 he could still bench 400lbs.

Sounds like a hell of a guy... RIP

billbrasky.jpg

2 hours ago, BurntOrangeAss said:

Just looked it up on Wikipedia, but the University of Texas had a 7-3 record in '51 and it looks like we finished ranked #16.  The other UT - the University of Tennessee was national champs in 1951.

Oh, RIP coach 

I saw on wiki that Texas had an "unclaimed" title in 1950.  I wonder if that's what they were referring to.

I haven't had a chance to look up records yet.