Tell Me About Arkansas

Vic Mackey

We played in Fayettenam in the early 70s at the old Barnhill. It was as big as OU if not bigger because it was a conference game. Back then Fayettenam was a pit. The airport consisted of a runway and if the pilot could see the runway, they landed. If not, good luck. As much as we hated them, they hated us even more. They had a chip on their shoulders because they were the only non Texas team in the SWC and they always thought the refs were biased against them and that was a big reason why they ultimately left. 

They still haven't gotten over the 69 game. Interestingly the fan bases hate each other but one of the nicest players that I met from another team was a kid who played for pig. Really a nice guy. Those were the good ole days and its a shame that many of you didn't get to experience the old SWC. Just my .02

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

What the fuck kinda trophy is that?!  Does the winner get free long distance service as well?

It's the old trophy awarded from FOX, (sponsored by AT&T), when In Living Color was still airing:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

This just happened during their Super Regional championship game. Yeah. They still love us. 5abf2fb6056c2295c16e9725e19de4bb.jpg

It's like the small Chihuahua in this video (Arkansas) hoping to play against the big dog Great Dane (Texas)...

Arkansas would be the best possible fit for the Big XII, as many have said. Athletically they’d be better off here too. A month or two ago there was a long thread on their forums about whether they’d rather be in the Big XII or SEC. it was about 50/50. If the Big XII could pick up Arky + whothefuckever, the conference would be set. Arky vs Texas/ OSU/ OU/ TCU/ KSU/ BU would be great.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I’d love to play them every year. There is nothing better than a road trip to some dump where the fans hate you. Fuck going to some place with nice scenery and polite people, that’s not college football.

They damn sure hate us (and we properly hate them), but Fayetteville ain't a dump.  It's really cool, especially compared to some of the regional out-and-out craptowns like College Station, Waco and Norman.

Road trips to Ark would be fun as hell, especially while we pack their shit in their stadium.

I’d love to play them every year. There is nothing better than a road trip to some dump where the fans hate you. Fuck going to some place with nice scenery and polite people, that’s not college football.

Then why'd you cancel your H&H with Ohio State. Sips.

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Must be why aggy is happy as a pig in slop.

On 6/8/2018 at 12:44 PM, BabaYaga said:

3.  They were really the only out of state member.  As I vaguely remember, they always felt there was a better 'fit' with those schools.  Problem was, when they left, their Texas recruiting suffered.  They the ewe-fukers helped open that gate back wide open.  

I don't think A&M to the SEC has helped Arkansas in recruiting Texas all that much. Post scandal Baylor has beaten them on the recruiting trail plenty in the past couple seasons. 

On 6/11/2018 at 11:39 PM, LTbear said:

Arkansas would be the best possible fit for the Big XII, as many have said. Athletically they’d be better off here too. A month or two ago there was a long thread on their forums about whether they’d rather be in the Big XII or SEC. it was about 50/50. If the Big XII could pick up Arky + whothefuckever, the conference would be set. Arky vs Texas/ OSU/ OU/ TCU/ KSU/ BU would be great.

Throw in both New Mexico/ Colorado State to the west & Arkansas to the east, (and allow West Virginia to join the regional fit in the ACC)...

The XII then becomes regionally compact whilw expanding into new markets in growing states to the west & adding a historic rival to the east...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Throw in both New Mexico/ Colorado State to the west & Arkansas to the east, (and allow West Virginia to join the regional fit in the ACC)...

The XII then becomes regionally compact whilw expanding into new markets in growing states to the west & adding a historic rival to the east...

Koppoe, look at that... we agree for once. Or just leave WVU (I like having them around, despite the distance) and take NM). But whatever. Call Bowlsby.

Edited by LTbear
  • Like 1

I traveled all over Arkansas on business back in the mid-80s to early 90s. I never had a problem with Razorback fans, although they did seem a little tense come October. I stayed in Texas that month. 

I can say the exact same for OU fans, as Oklahoma was in my territory as well.

College Station on the other hand....

• Like 1

Saw a post game interview with one of the pig players.  He went into detail about how he was from Arky so the horns down thing came naturally.

Keep in mind if he's a college player then he's only around 20 years old which means he has no memory of Arky playing Texas is anything yet he still hates a team he's never played.  (I totally believe that, BTW.). 

Arky really should be in the Big 12.  There's not one other school in the SEC that player would say that about.  The hate would keep them warm on a cold winters night.

20 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I was surrounded by hog fans at the game yesterday and they were pretty cool. I even got invited to come to Fayetteville to see a game in their new ballpark. I image it was somewhat different I. The cheap seats though.

Arkansas is not comprised entirely of toothless hillbillies.  And neither is Texas comprised entirely of sophisticated, intelligent, genteel people.  In fact, we probably have, gross and maybe even per capita, more toothless hillbillies than they do.  East Texas is a large and scary place.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Arkansas is not comprised entirely of toothless hillbillies.  And neither is Texas comprised entirely of sophisticated, intelligent, genteel people.  In fact, we probably have, gross and maybe even per capita, more toothless hillbillies than they do.  East Texas is a large and scary place.

You need to separate Arky fans by where they're from.  The ones from the two counties in the Northwest part of the state are generally normal and corporate monied types.  The ones in every other county in the state are deranged hillbillies who have no actual tie to the school.

51 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

You need to separate Arky fans by where they're from.  The ones from the two counties in the Northwest part of the state are generally normal and corporate monied types.  The ones in every other county in the state are deranged hillbillies who have no actual tie to the school.

None of my family is from the NW.  Dey from Souf Central.  Any decent size town is going to have some normal folk.  Someone had to found and build the cities, and they aren't all dead yet, or their descendants.  And there's quite a bit of oil and timber money dispersed all through the state.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 6/8/2018 at 12:44 PM, BabaYaga said:

1.  Yes.  Moreso even.  See the late 60's early 70's

2.  No.  It's nice.  And the campus is really nice, as is there stadium.  Lot of Texas kids headed that way when they allowed them to qualify for in-state tuition.

3.  They were really the only out of state member.  As I vaguely remember, they always felt there was a better 'fit' with those schools.  Problem was, when they left, their Texas recruiting suffered.  They the ewe-fukers helped open that gate back wide open.  

This is my impression as well.

More Texas kids are going to Arky because it offers instate tuition to a lot of Texas high school kids.   Several that don't get into to McCombs or Mays go there. 

I remember Arky in the SWC but they left shortly after I was at Texas.   I didn't have the animosity for them but I know the generation before me did.   Everyone loathed ou while I was Texas and they continue to suck to this day.

I have visited Fayetteville several times over the last few years and like the town.   Driving around Arkansas is nothing like driving in the shit hole that is Oklahoma. 

Everyone native to Arkansas roots with a passion for the hogs because there is no other major college football program and no pro sports team in the state. 

I often wonder if Arkansas regrets leaving the SWC.  Arky was one of the dominant forces in the SWC and got tons of talent from Texas.  Since leaving they have not won an SEC title and they only have winning records in the SEC against: Miss St., Ol Miss, South Carolina and Vandy .    They have losing records to the other 9 members including Kentucky and Missouri.  They are 0-6 against the aggies which represents their longest losing steak in the history of the rivalry.   aTm's all time record v. Arky is 30-41-3.    They have been in the SEC now for 27 years.  With little to no success.   I bet the old timers in Arky long for the days of the SWC.  

When the ags moved to the SEC I was shocked they didn't consider the plight of the pigs in their decision making process but stupid is as stupid does.   They think their instate local will be the difference maker.  Time will tell.

7 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

When the ags moved to the SEC I was shocked they didn't consider the plight of the pigs in their decision making process but stupid is as stupid does.   They think their instate local will be the difference maker.  Time will tell.

Ags are correct in their assertion that being the only Texas school in the SEC helps them.  They get more notoriety and exposure.  Get out from under the shadow of Texas, retain their Texas recruiting ties, and SEC money > Big12 money.  If/when the era of the super-conferences gain traction, the Big12 is in real trouble.  Who do we add?  Cincinnati?  It's been rehashed to death, but realignment is only a matter of time.  

5 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Ags are correct in their assertion that being the only Texas school in the SEC helps them.  They get more notoriety and exposure.  Get out from under the shadow of Texas, retain their Texas recruiting ties, and SEC money > Big12 money.  If/when the era of the super-conferences gain traction, the Big12 is in real trouble.  Who do we add?  Cincinnati?  It's been rehashed to death, but realignment is only a matter of time.  

I think being in Texas mitigates the problem Arky had by leaving, but I think Bama and LSU (when they have a decent coach) are still the SEC schools that the top Texas kids will go to if they want to play in the SEC.  Plus aTm still has to compete with Texas and ou for talent.   I just don't see them having much more sustainable success with the move.   They may not be as bad as Arky but I don't see them ever being a powerhouse in their division of the SEC.

Edited by UTEX90
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

I think being in Texas mitigates the problem Arky had by leaving, but I think Bama and LSU (when they have a decent coach) are still the SEC schools that the top Texas kids will go to if they want to play in the SEC.  Plus aTm still has to compete with Texas and ou for talent.   I just don't see them having much more sustainable success with the move.   They may not be as bad as Arky but I don't see them ever being a powerhouse in their division of the SEC.

That’s always been their selling point:  only Texas school in the SEC, etc.  Problem is, it opened the door for the bigger players to dip their toes.  AR has been desperate to get a toehold in the state.  Played a series with Texas.  Then the “rivalry” game with the Ag’s @ Jerryworld that was supposed to eclipse the RRS.  Hired a coach with Texas HS ties.  This is what killed Nebraska.  The removal of partial-qualifiers and losing a line into Texas talent. 

The Ag’s won’t be top dogs in the conference.  But I don’t think they care.  As long as they are in the conversation they are happy.  They are raking in money.  Out of our shadow.  And get to run “SEC” up the flagpole.  I will say they are positioned better regarding conference alignment.  Big12 just isn’t viable as it is right now.  Nor are we pulling any significant P5 schools away.  Texas and OU will be fine.  But the conference won’t. 

10 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

That’s always been their selling point:  only Texas school in the SEC, etc.  Problem is, it opened the door for the bigger players to dip their toes.  AR has been desperate to get a toehold in the state.  Played a series with Texas.  Then the “rivalry” game with the Ag’s @ Jerryworld that was supposed to eclipse the RRS.  Hired a coach with Texas HS ties.  This is what killed Nebraska.  The removal of partial-qualifiers and losing a line into Texas talent. 

The Ag’s won’t be top dogs in the conference.  But I don’t think they care.  As long as they are in the conversation they are happy.  They are raking in money.  Out of our shadow.  And get to run “SEC” up the flagpole.  I will say they are positioned better regarding conference alignment.  Big12 just isn’t viable as it is right now.  Nor are we pulling any significant P5 schools away.  Texas and OU will be fine.  But the conference won’t. 

Literally every single objective metric says otherwise.

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Literally every single objective metric says otherwise.

The conference landscape isn't done shifting.  I agree with the assumption that there will be a handful of super-conferences that remain, supported by ever increasing TV deals.  The Big12 doesn't have the eyes or the market share.  Why do you think the SEC took A&M and Mizzou.  They added the Texas and STE/midwest markets.  It's why the Big10 added Rutgers.  These deals are what's driving the landscape.  We add, Cincinnati?  Who?  Another Texas school.  We already have that market.  A FL school?  Maybe.  But whom?  When the SEC, PAC, and BigTen start looking to expand again, it's going to break apart the smaller conferences.  No way the Big12 competes with market shares in TX, OK, Iowa, WV, and Kansas.

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

The conference landscape isn't done shifting.  I agree with the assumption that there will be a handful of super-conferences that remain, supported by ever increasing TV deals.  The Big12 doesn't have the eyes or the market share.  Why do you think the SEC took A&M and Mizzou.  They added the Texas and STE/midwest markets.  It's why the Big10 added Rutgers.  These deals are what's driving the landscape.  We add, Cincinnati?  Who?  Another Texas school.  We already have that market.  A FL school?  Maybe.  But whom?  When the SEC, PAC, and BigTen start looking to expand again, it's going to break apart the smaller conferences.  No way the Big12 competes with market shares in TX, OK, Iowa, WV, and Kansas.

The Pac expand?

They're in the shitter financially, and no one on the west coast gives a damn.  If you haven't been paying attention, people are losing interest in super conferences where no one plays.  The Big 10 and SEC are fine due to large rabid fanbases, but the Big 12 is outpacing both the PAC and the ACC by a considerable margin.  Texas and Oklahoma make a ton of money.  Oklahoma has yet to lose out on a playoff bid due to conference affiliation.  Texas won't either when they start winning enough to be in the ball park.

Potential markets mean dick in the era of cord cutting.  This isn't 2010 anymore.  Are there fanbases that actually give a shit and people willing to watch is the question.  The Big 12 is beating the Pac 12 and the ACC in that regard, and probably always will.  The incentive to move towards the 4 x 16 model that was salivated over a decade ago is waning, and with it the likelihood of a massive shake up like we saw at that time.

11 hours ago, UTEX90 said:

This is my impression as well.

More Texas kids are going to Arky because it offers instate tuition to a lot of Texas high school kids.   Several that don't get into to McCombs or Mays go there. 

I remember Arky in the SWC but they left shortly after I was at Texas.   I didn't have the animosity for them but I know the generation before me did.   Everyone loathed ou while I was Texas and they continue to suck to this day.

I have visited Fayetteville several times over the last few years and like the town.   Driving around Arkansas is nothing like driving in the shit hole that is Oklahoma. 

Everyone native to Arkansas roots with a passion for the hogs because there is no other major college football program and no pro sports team in the state. 

I often wonder if Arkansas regrets leaving the SWC.  Arky was one of the dominant forces in the SWC and got tons of talent from Texas.  Since leaving they have not won an SEC title and they only have winning records in the SEC against: Miss St., Ol Miss, South Carolina and Vandy .    They have losing records to the other 9 members including Kentucky and Missouri.  They are 0-6 against the aggies which represents their longest losing steak in the history of the rivalry.   aTm's all time record v. Arky is 30-41-3.    They have been in the SEC now for 27 years.  With little to no success.   I bet the old timers in Arky long for the days of the SWC.  

"When the ags moved to the SEC I was shocked they didn't consider the plight of the pigs in their decision making process but stupid is as stupid does.   They think their instate local will be the difference maker.  Time will tell."

You do realize that aggy went to the sec just to spite Texas, hoping the conference would dissolve, but I doubt tht they took arkie into consideration.  aggy is aggy.

11 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

It doesn't matter. Once the era of the Super-Conferences comes along I will cease to be a fan of College Sports. It will just be a shitty version of pro-sports by the time that happens. But I don't see it happening. Re-alignment is dead. The conferences are going to be where they are because all the big fancy TV Cable money is going away and there is zero reason to have a super conference without that.

I do not see much value in exposure or notoriety.  Those are just corporate garbage buzzwords. I am a sports fan so I care about sports not that garbage. But good for all their corporate measurables and deliverables. I am not sure those give you any bonus wins

15 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The Pac expand?

They're in the shitter financially, and no one on the west coast gives a damn.  If you haven't been paying attention, people are losing interest in super conferences where no one plays.  The Big 10 and SEC are fine due to large rabid fanbases, but the Big 12 is outpacing both the PAC and the ACC by a considerable margin.  Texas and Oklahoma make a ton of money.  Oklahoma has yet to lose out on a playoff bid due to conference affiliation.  Texas won't either when they start winning enough to be in the ball park.

Potential markets mean dick in the era of cord cutting.  This isn't 2010 anymore.  Are there fanbases that actually give a shit and people willing to watch is the question.  The Big 12 is beating the Pac 12 and the ACC in that regard, and probably always will.  The incentive to move towards the 4 x 16 model that was salivated over a decade ago is waning, and with it the likelihood of a massive shake up like we saw at that time.

I hope you're right.  I really do.  But the conference as-is is dicey.  The PAC is down relative to the Big10 and SEC, but still far and away better than most other conferences.  The Big12 is going to have to change.  Adding UConn, Memphis, or Cincinnati isn't going to fix that.  Houston?

I don't think re-alignment is ever going to stop.  Only pause.  Nor will the contracts.  And these are based upon market share.  This arms escalation is never over.  The expiration of it's grant of rights will be telling for the Big12. 

Texas and OU control the conference.  They receive enough incentive to leave, and the whole thing cracks wide open.  Of course, if they are going to add teams, AZ and ASU make a hell of a lot more sense.  You add in the Phoenix and west-coast markets. 

5 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Of course, if they are going to add teams, AZ and ASU make a hell of a lot more sense.  You add in the Phoenix and west-coast markets. 

Love that idea.  Adds a huge market and doesn't dilute the league with Conf USA type teams.

15 minutes ago, lateshow said:

That's actually a pretty good doc. It's a shame what HDN and Gus did to that kid. 

Not a fan of HDN or Gus at all, but Mustain was what he was.  They didn't ruin him in the 5 months they had him at Arkansas.  In fact, he played the best football of his life the one season he was with them.

He had 4 years under Carroll, Sark, Kiffin and never amounted to anything.

14 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Not a fan of HDN or Gus at all, but Mustain was what he was.  They didn't ruin him in the 5 months they had him at Arkansas.  In fact, he played the best football of his life the one season he was with them.

He had 4 years under Carroll, Sark, Kiffin and never amounted to anything.

Did you watch the doc?