T.O declines invitation to HOF induction ceremony

Goo Punch

Just when you think you've seen it all.  My first thought is that he doesn't have the funds to bring his family / entourage to Canton and throw a suitable party so he is declining to avoid the embarrassment.  Having said that, I assume that the HOF probably makes provision for people to have family there and might even make arrangements for a party.  If not, I would bet he could quietly reach out to the Jones and DeBartolo families who would most likely hook him up.

Other than he is just a weird dude, I'm not sure why he would decline.  As much as he loves the spotlight it seems like he would rush to this.

30 minutes ago, orange dream said:

My first thought is that he doesn't have the funds to bring his family / entourage to Canton

Well, he did squander $80 million after playing in the league for 15 years so there might be something to that.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

So popcorn or no popcorn?  Be cool if he was doing it to be with friends and family..... somehow I don't think this will be the case.

This will probably become a trend, depending on if an athlete is a bit over the top in trying to put his brand over that of the NFL...

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

So popcorn or no popcorn?  Be cool if he was doing it to be with friends and family..... somehow I don't think this will be the case.

But how many inductees actually have made their families a focal point of their ceremony?  Many, many, many of them.

It’s T.O.  He still loves him some ‘me.’

He’s certainly allowed to do his own thing.  No harm done.  It doesn’t make it unweird though.

1 hour ago, TheFlagship said:

Who cares? The HOF is a joke. TO should’ve been in on the first ballot but wasn’t cause old dudes didn’t like him having fun during his career.

The HOF is a joke for being too stingy in letting people in? The NFL Hall of Fame? Now that is a joke.

Anyway was he having fun? All his constant complaining and feuding with his teammates suggests he wasn't having much fun.

Edited by Valmy77

3 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Jesus, that dude is so weird

He had an incredibly fucked up childhood.  I don't like making excuses for people, but most of us would end up screwed up like he is if we went through something similar.

Has anyone else ever declined the invitation? 

This is strange. 

edit: He's the first http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/06/07/terrell-owens-makes-unprecedented-choice-not-to-attend-hall-fame-induction-ceremony.html

"

"I think T.O. actually was disappointed when he got in this year," Philadelphia Daily News writer Paul Domowitch, who presented Owens' case for induction, told The Associated Press. "I think he was happier when he got snubbed and could play the part of the persecuted victim and moan on every radio talk show that was willing to bring him on about the unfairness of the process."

Edited by The Dog

2 hours ago, TheFlagship said:

Who cares? The HOF is a joke. TO should’ve been in on the first ballot but wasn’t cause old dudes didn’t like him having fun during his career.

He's one of the best WRs to ever play and the fact they fucked him over for so long, good for him for giving the middle finger to the NFL.

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Marfa Low Crown said:

Since he left the game, T.O. gets fewer chances these days to show the world what a cunt he is. I'm glad he didn't waste this opportunity.

All athletes over time get pushed to the back of the shelf, but it won't demonstrate the athleticism that T.O. had in his prime in a radio podcast anyway for listeners who are to young to know who he is... 

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

He's one of the best WRs to ever play and the fact they fucked him over for so long, good for him for giving the middle finger to the NFL.

I agree that he was passed over a time too many, but I still think this will give players from this generation the thought of "I will boycott my HOF induction for (X) political cause...

2 hours ago, kopp0e said:

All athletes over time get pushed to the back of the shelf, but it won't demonstrate the athleticism that T.O. had in his prime in a radio podcast anyway for listeners who are to young to know who he is... 

I agree that he was passed over a time too many, but I still think this will give players from this generation the thought of "I will boycott my HOF induction for (X) political cause...

I don't really see this as setting any kind of precedent. Players want to attend for the spotlight and tell their story in front of everyone. T.O. is the only player that has declined I believe. And it doesn't surprise me from him. He got tired of being snubbed for this long and doesn't care to take their handout.

And good for him. Because the fact a few Cowboys players are on first team all decade team but not in the HOF is a joke. Fuck em.

9 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

Impeach him. He was voted in. Vote his unappreciative butt out already. Either that or keep his bust under wraps until a more "favorable" time to unveil it which in this case should be never.

Oh, waaaaa

Another example of why I don't much care for professional sports. Sports media can't take their eyes off of guys like this while I can't stand to look at them. There are plenty of good men playing pro sports, but this kind of shit makes me ignore it.

Had the Texans drafted Vince, I might have been drawn back in. Sorta glad they didn't.

17 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

For so long?  Wtf? What was this, his 3rd year of eligibility?  Boo-freaking-hoo.

Tommy Nobis is still not in the Hall, and now he's dead.  THAT'S a man who had reason to be upset with the process.

TO can EABOD.

9 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

For so long?  Wtf? What was this, his 3rd year of eligibility?  Boo-freaking-hoo.

Tommy Nobis is still not in the Hall, and now he's dead.  THAT'S a man who had reason to be upset with the process.

TO can EABOD.

There's something to be said about being a 1st ballot HOFer. The committee purposely screwed with him because of his personality. So yes, good for him for giving them the middle finger. 

18 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Art Monk (for a time the NFL's all time leading WR and most consecutive games with a reception and key component to three Super Bowl Teams) was better and he had to wait and he was about as gentlemanly as a wide out can be. So maybe it wasn't personal? Not that I would expect graciousness from bitchass cowboy fans.

Edited by Valmy77

45 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

There's something to be said about being a 1st ballot HOFer. The committee purposely screwed with him because of his personality. So yes, good for him for giving them the middle finger. 

There is also something to be said for spending your entire career with elite franchises and always coming up small in big moments. Like TO. Maybe don't lose all the time and maybe you can be 1st ballot. Champions get 1st ballot, not losers.

• Like 2

There is also something to be said for spending your entire career with elite franchises and always coming up small in big moments. Like TO. Maybe don't lose all the time and maybe you can be 1st ballot. Champions get 1st ballot, not losers.
Would you say Super Bowl 39 was a big moment? Would you say he came up small? His team lost by 3 to the Pats, but had they won, he would have been mvp.... playing on a still broken leg.

Go look at how many times he was injured, not hurt, and played well... when he should have shut it down for the season.

If you just don't like the guy, say so, but his game is unquestionable.

And, no, I don't think he should have been first ballot, but second. Third ballot is a symbolic gesture. People, who didn't like what he did personally, didn't vote him in. He probably knows he's deserving, but not welcomed, so he's not going.

But the dude could ball.