Post a pic that makes you lol

Born Burnt

• Replies 36.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, BTW said:

https://www.newsweek.com/100-percent-wrong-pronunciation-gif-483374

—unless of course you happen to care about the continued degradation of the English language in a slang-obsessed age.

I agree with the article's conclusion -- it's obvious to anyone with a background in the evolution of the English language that this ought to be a hard G -- but this closing emphatic premise is simply laughable.  All ages of all languages are "slang-obsessed", and the idea that that means the language is being degraded is simply wrong. All it means is that the language is evolving. And evolution is not a linear march to perfection, it's just a description of change over time. It's neither better nor worse, it simply is.

Edited by Walden Ponderer
Make it easier to read the quoted section
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I would think the dude who invented the thing gets to determine how to pronounce it. He says J.

what do we mostly use gifs for?  the fact that Futureman is a soft g guy just confirms it's a troll job, all the way.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

My daughter waits tables here in North Carolina, and she had a customer tell her, "You must not be from the South if you don't know how to pronounce pee-can." She replied, "I am from Texas, where we know more about how to use pecans than anyone on Earth, and it's 'pecan', not 'pee-can'."

She was raised right, even if she doesn't know how to maximize tips.

Her next retort can be (as my grandmother's was, and she should know, as a direct descendant of Austin's Old 300), "well, where I come from, a pee can is something you keep under the bed.  Would you like that kind of pie?  Bless your heart." 

3 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

My daughter waits tables here in North Carolina, and she had a customer tell her, "You must not be from the South if you don't know how to pronounce pee-can." She replied, "I am from Texas, where we know more about how to use pecans than anyone on Earth, and it's 'pecan', not 'pee-can'."

State tree of North Carolina = pine.  State tree of Texas = Pecan.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I spent 22 years in that industry and went from busboy to GM & wine director. I can absolutely tell you that a table here and there doesn't mean jack shit to a server's bottom line. 
Some fuckers have to be educated. Your daughter was raised right. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, nnm said:

Her next retort can be (as my grandmother's was, and she should know, as a direct descendant of Austin's Old 300), "well, where I come from, a pee can is something you keep under the bed.  Would you like that kind of pie?  Bless your heart." 

I was 40 years old before I realized that old people aren’t being nice when they say “Bless your heart.”  

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

A friend’s bit role in The Ringer was cut and didn’t make it in the final movie. She was going to be billed as “The Slut”.

South Austin's mom does not have bit roles.  She has huge roles (for her huge holes) in bit movies.

Edited by jeevsie
typo

3 hours ago, markstanco said:

People who say it with a hard G thinks the plane stays put.

airplane-treadmill.thumbnail.png

Define “stay put.”  It can go backwards. It can go forward until it hits the lip of the treadmill, which isn’t very far. It can’t take off, not nearly enough room. And even if it did, the wingspan is larger than the treadmill panel supports. 

• Like 2