Scottsdale

The wife and I are headed to Scottsdale in the fall for our anniversary.  I've been a handful of times but haven't been able to explore the area all that much.  What are some good restaurants to check out and places for good drinks (good bourbon menu is a plus).  

We also plan to play some golf (maybe 2 total rounds) and I'm torn on where to go.  My gut says TPC Scottsdale but Troon North looks incredible.  What are the "must play" courses?  

Edited by BearCountry11

No idea on the golf but last week I ate (Sunday brunch is awesome) at the Rokerij, not exactly Scottsdale, a bit west, but always loved that place. Durants is an old school steakhouse that I've always liked about 5 blocks south of that.

Still like OHSO brewery there on Indian School.

Beckett's table was pretty trendy, may have jumped the shark.

There's tons more better options that I cannot recall right now (I've never lived there but often visit family in Scottsdale). Somebody else will be along shortly with some better recs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GringoSalado said:

No idea on the golf but last week I ate (Sunday brunch is awesome) at the Rokerij, not exactly Scottsdale, a bit west, but always loved that place. Durants is an old school steakhouse that I've always liked about 5 blocks south of that.

Still like OHSO brewery there on Indian School.

Beckett's table was pretty trendy, may have jumped the shark.

Not terrible recommendations there, but how long are the blocks in your world? Durant’s is an easy 5 miles from Rokerij. And if you think Beckett’s is pretty trendy, I would be interested in observing your reaction to a place like Sumomaya.

Why not both? I've always favored the Pinnacle course, but that's just a preference based on it being designed as a truer representation of a desert style course. Both are fantastic. 

Seriously, if you can, try and play both. You won't regret it. You'll probably need to book some extra spa time for the wife...

Edited by Irwin F Fletcher

Where in Scottsdale are you staying?  How serious of a golfer are you?  What kind of meals are you looking for?  Do you need a recommendation for a romantic place to take the wife?  Let me know and I can try to fill in the blanks.

On 6/8/2018 at 9:01 PM, HeHateMe said:

Where in Scottsdale are you staying?  How serious of a golfer are you?  What kind of meals are you looking for?  Do you need a recommendation for a romantic place to take the wife?  Let me know and I can try to fill in the blanks.

Staying in Carefree technically but plan to spend most of our time in Scottsdale.  

I shoot mid 80s typically.  I’ll probably get 3 rounds over the 5 days we’ll be there before my wife gets mad.  She’s been clear that she’ll let me golf but we need to explore the area too.  

Food-wise we are looking for local places.  A nice blend of fancy dinners and also some casual lunch spots.  We’re not picky about cuisine.  Good drinks are always a major plus.  Would definitely want one really nice place to take the wife.  

At Troon North, Pinnacle is significantly better than Monument, in my opinion.  I'll take heat for it, but I'd rather play either 18 at Grayhawk over Monument...felt a little bit tricked up to me.  TPC Scottsdale is fine, but I didn't think it was great for the money, and we even played it right after the Waste Management (stands were still up including all the way around #16).

TPC Scottsdate will prove to you how good the pros are.  It's pretty dang hard and they're routinely throwing 64s on it.  Insane.

On June 10, 2018 at 6:56 PM, BearCountry11 said:

Staying in Carefree technically but plan to spend most of our time in Scottsdale.  

I shoot mid 80s typically.  I’ll probably get 3 rounds over the 5 days we’ll be there before my wife gets mad.  She’s been clear that she’ll let me golf but we need to explore the area too.  

Food-wise we are looking for local places.  A nice blend of fancy dinners and also some casual lunch spots.  We’re not picky about cuisine.  Good drinks are always a major plus.  Would definitely want one really nice place to take the wife.  

Both Troon North tracks are great, and can't go wrong with either Grayhawk track.  Seriously, pick one at both and trust it and enjoy.  As for the third round.... Unless you want to play where the pros play, I'd skip TPC Stadium.  It's overpriced and basically a resort course.  TPC Champions course is a better track and about half the price.  

For dinner, there is a great Italian place up north called Sassi.  It's close to the Four Seasons and not far from where you are staying.  There is also a Mastro's up that way.  However, if you want to go that route, drive the extra 10 minutes and go to Mastro's Ocean Club.  The talent and people watching alone are worth it.  And get the fucking butter cake!!! As for romantic, take her to Elements at the Sanctuary Resort.  Make a reservation for after sunset, but get there early for cocktails at Jade Bar.  The drinks are great and the views over Paradise Valley are incredible.  Spend a few hours trolling around old town and don't have an agenda.  Plenty of serviceable lunch spots or places to grab a drink.  Kelly's or the Montauk are both good spots for a drink but you can find what fits your tastes.  

Scottsdale is very big North to South and you are way the hell up North.  Just know going in that you are going to spend some time in a car if you want to experience it all.  You should have a blast though.  And let me know if you need anymore recommendations on hikes or spas or any other shit.  Enjoy.

Edited by HeHateMe
Your mom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, BearCountry11 said:

Have to give a HUGE shoutout to @HeHateMe   

We just had dinner at Elements and it was the best culinary experience we have ever had.  Perfect anniversary dinner.  Thank you!!

hopefully my boy beaumac was in the house...he is a really good friend and a phenomenal lover of food. elements and jade bar makes for a pretty strong night. awesome.

• 2 months later...

Anyone remember that Shagster who opened a Texas BBQ joint in Scottsdale/Mesa/Phoenix/Tempe?  Headed out there for a few days for the holidays and was gonna try to hit him up.  Pretty sure it was on TOS and I can’t remember his name or the name of the place or anything and I don’t feel like going over there to try to find it.  I think maybe he said it was near the airport?

17 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

All that just went over my head.  

So I shouldn't be so excited about the ne location? It's my side of town so I do want to check it out. 

TBD. Haven’t tried the new location yet, but was far less excited about it when I learned they were using Oyler smokers. Maybe it will surprise me, but I don’t see how you turn out the same product on a commercial electrically powered smoker.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...