Adrian Belew Power Trio - Live Stream 9e/10c

WhatTheBuck

One of the most underrated guitarists. "Discovered" by Zappa, stolen by Bowie, played with King Crimson, Talking Heads, Paul Simon, and Nine Inch Nails to name a few. His hometown Cincinnati band The Bears is probably the best psychedelic pop band you've never heard.

Check it out:

http://theiridium.com/live/

[Edit: Dont misread that. This won't be a psychedelic pop show. It will probably be psychedelic friendly. Kaiser should tune in.]

Edited by WhatTheBuck

Years ago, I sat at a table next to him at Kerbey Lane Cafe one night during SXSW.  I couldn't contain my geeky inner fan and interrupted to tell him how much I loved the "Let's Dance" era tour he did with Bowie.  He proceeded to chat us up for 20 minutes or so, super nice guy, very down to earth, in town to "check out some music".  

A frighteningly original and talented player.

I always wondered whether the "belew" in hullabelew was a tribute or a coincidence. 

I've seen Adrian with his power trio, with The Bears, with King Crimson, with the KC side project ProjeKct X, and just playing solo acoustic. At one of his solo shows, while he was tuning up between songs, I shouted "Freebird!" just as a goof. He gave me the finger and said "I got your free bird right here." I thought that was awesome. 

I have a friend who has a sometimes-group with some of the KC guys (Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto) along with Mike Keneally (Zappa).  My friend is the guitarist for the band, so I never really worked up the audacity to ask him why they didn't invite Adrian Belew, too.

On 6/8/2018 at 10:26 AM, Shoxthemonkey said:

He has been a favorite of mine going back to "Elephant Talk" with KC. I had a pm exchange with @hullabelew a long time ago and was hopeful that he was Adrian. Alas he was not. Or so he says.

I completely forgot about that.  Only two things I have in common with Adrian are 1) the spelling of our last name 2) we both own guitars.