Texas Track and Field

Machinator

Mentioned in today's article about the new administrative hirings: https://www.hookem.com/story/texas-ad-chris-del-conte-hires-former-nebraska-ad-shawn-eichorst-tcus-drew-martin/

Del Conte was traveling Thursday to Eugene, Ore., for the NCAA track championships and could not be reached. The Longhorns have 20 men’s and women’s entries in the championships, and Del Conte is also searching for a new track coach. 

Looks like that should be resolved sooner than later.

if we're going to hire a new coach I would just offer Leroy Burrell at UH. He is a Houston grad so no clue if he would be interested. 

Burrell's son (who runs track at UH) is graduating so he might make the move with a decent offer. 

I’d go after Edrick Floreal. Ran a great program at Stanford with their entrance requirements as a hindrance and now runs a great one an effin’ Kentucky. He’d kick so much ass with our resources.

• Like 1

Nothing yet. Tonya Buford-Bailey is/was the interim. Boy did we suck ass at NCAAs.  CDC was in Eugene scouting a new coach.  I don't think Tonya is going to get the interim tag off.

Edited by Js1

On 6/10/2018 at 11:31 AM, CooterBrown said:

I’d go after Edrick Floreal. Ran a great program at Stanford with their entrance requirements as a hindrance and now runs a great one an effin’ Kentucky. He’d kick so much ass with our resources.

Looks like you got your wish. 

1 hour ago, jeevsie said:

Wow.  Can't believe I missed all the Sategna drama.  Any updates from the articles I just read from when he was run?

What happened with that guy? I missed it all.

And what happened to the sensational freshman shotputter Adrian Piperi? Last I saw he won the B12 championship with a put of 66' 3". That should've gotten him into the NCAA meet, but haven't heard anything.

Congrats to Coach Floreal..... Welcome to the Forty Acres!

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

What happened with that guy? I missed it all.

And what happened to the sensational freshman shotputter Adrian Piperi? Last I saw he won the B12 championship with a put of 66' 3". That should've gotten him into the NCAA meet, but haven't heard anything.

Congrats to Coach Floreal..... Welcome to the Forty Acres!

Adrian? He got fourth in outdoors at NCAAs

Sategna had alcohol problems

7 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Any UT coaches still on the hot seat? Connie was the big one imo and she gone

ATM, not really.

Shaka's seat is a little warm, but we aren't going to fire him unless we miss the tournament. And even that, maybe not.
Kelly's seat was warm, but that Sweet 16 showing really saved her and she's primed for a good season.

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

ATM, not really.

Shaka's seat is a little warm, but we aren't going to fire him unless we miss the tournament. And even that, maybe not.
Kelly's seat was warm, but that Sweet 16 showing really saved her and she's primed for a good season.

I disagree with this.If we miss the Tournament this next year. He should be gone. Very underwhelming hire and performance so far. This is not Football. You should be able to turn a program around 2-3 years.

Edit: Not the basketball thread

• 2 weeks later...

If you listen to Floreal's press conference it certainly sounds like Herbster isn't going to be retained as the cross country/distance coach. 

I figured this might be a hire made by Del Conte. If you listen to Floreal discuss the hiring process for distance coaches it seems like he's  going to be in total control of this hiring process.  

Edited by texasstrong12

I would guess he brings Toby Stevenson with him as the vertical jumps/Multis coach.  This year he had an NCAA champion pole vaulter and decathlete plus he's coached quite a few All-Americans at Kentucky and Stanford in his short career. He was an Olympic silver medalist in the PV and is an Odessa native so he may have a strong pull to get back to Texas.  Floreal coached with him at Stanford and brought him to Kentucky.