Surly Sausages

Baboontyme

I would look into selling at a farmer's market. Usually the regulations are loosened for those. You could easily dump a bunch on a Wednesday night or whenever it is plus you may get some good contacts if you want to get more serious.

On 6/7/2018 at 7:11 PM, Baboontyme said:

Also feel free to post store bought stuff that you like

Where does the shaggysurl stand on this for someone in Austin? HEB is my store, but if there are meat markets I should go to for superior product, I'm all for it. Opa's, Meyer's, Southside are usually what I grab. 

1 minute ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Where does the shaggysurl stand on this for someone in Austin? HEB is my store, but if there are meat markets I should go to for superior product, I'm all for it. Opa's, Meyer's, Southside are usually what I grab. 

http://texashotsausage.com/

I have used their pork and beef mix fresh sausages for a few different large cook outs, and they have smoked up nice. They are over off east 12th. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I made a batch today for Thanksgiving. My nephews love it (disclaimer, both families are hard core quarantining for two weeks so we can get together). Holy shit it is exhausting. By the time I stuff and clean up I want to sleep for a week. There's got to be an easier way to do this. What the fuck was I thinking trying to make a side career of this. I'm going to invent an auto stuffing, auto cleaning sausage machine. I will call it the sausage glory hole. Any engineers on here?

On one of the Bourdain shows he visited this old lady in Eastern Europe who stuffed sausage by hand. Just a pile of filling and some intestines. No machines or tools at all. She could stroke out a foot of meat tube in about 1 second. He was completely blown away by her meat handling skills.

You should learn that method and you will eliminate most of your clean up effort.

13 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I made a batch today for Thanksgiving. My nephews love it (disclaimer, both families are hard core quarantining for two weeks so we can get together). Holy shit it is exhausting. By the time I stuff and clean up I want to sleep for a week. There's got to be an easier way to do this. What the fuck was I thinking trying to make a side career of this. I'm going to invent an auto stuffing, auto cleaning sausage machine. I will call it the sausage glory hole. Any engineers on here?

It's why we only do it once a year.  One big batch that will last us the whole year.  The setup and cleaning afterwards are pain in the ass.  Might as well make a fuckton of it once you have everything ready to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Sausage party posters, would appreciate a spot check on a recipe that I am working up for some pork/venison alsatian sausage.  Do the protein/fat contents look right?  I will be doing a 20# batch probably. Do I need to go more fat content or is 20% ok?

Alsatian Venison Sausage    

Total Weight 100    

#'s oz's.  
Pork Butt (25% fat) 30.00 480.00 30%
Pork Belly (50% fat) 30.00 480.00 30%
Venison 40.00 640.00 40%
Salt 2.00 32.00 2.00%
Black Pepper 0.50 8.00 0.50%
Coriander 0.50 8.00 0.50%
Garlic 0.50 8.00 0.50%
Allspice dash    
Cloves dash    
Water 2.00 32.00 2.00%

Total 106    

Total fat 21%    

Also, does this look right ballpark for jap and cheese?

Alsatian Jap and Cheese Venison Sausage

Total Weight 20    

#'s oz's.  
Pork Butt (25% fat) 6.00 96.00 30%
Pork Belly (50% fat) 6.00 96.00 30%
Venison 8.00 128.00 40%
Salt 0.40 6.40 2.00%
Black Pepper 0.10 1.60 0.50%
Coriander 0.10 1.60 0.50%
Garlic 0.10 1.60 0.50%
Allspice dash    
Cloves dash    
Cheese 2.00 32.00 10.00%
Diced Japs 0.20 3.20 1.00%
Water 0.40 6.40 2.00%

Total 23    

Total fat 19%    

We use pork butts only and don't trim any fat off.  We do straight pork for fresh sausage and pan sausage and mix pork and deer for dried sausage.  That ratio is 70/30 pork to venison.  For a 100lbs of meat we use 2 lbs table salt, 8 oz Tones Restaurant black pepper and 4 oz granulated garlic powder.  You can scale it for however much meat you end up with.  I would use it as your base for those 3 ingredients.  It is really, really good.  Never made jalapeno cheese, so can't help you there.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

Can we talk grind for a bit.

Most of the recipes I see call for two passes through the plates. 

I ran one time through the big holes, and started making a second pass through the big holes and the pork fat just created an emulsification that gummed everything up.  We ended up just putting it all in the stuffer after one pass and moving on.  What are y'alls grinding procedures.  Do you free after the first pass to make it workable, or just do a single pass.  I keep all my temps in low 30s and freeze the equipment so it is not a temp issue unless I just need to partially freeze the first gring. 

On 11/22/2020 at 12:52 PM, Hpara759 said:

Westphalia Meat Market in Hutto....

their Hutto recipe German sausage is worth going for a visit

Something in Hutto is worth visiting?  FIL passed away a few years ago and he lived on East St in Hutto.  I hated Hutto because there was fucking nothing in Hutto.  Hutto Donuts was the best part of visiting him.

I’m using Cabela’s seasoning, but happy with these 80/20 venison/pork belly snack sticks done on applewood in my Little Chief electric.  Not sure why people insist on putting so much pork or beef in with venison when it’s such a mild meat and makes great sausage at 15% or so fat content. 

I’m super lazy about making them real stick length so I just run a (that’s what she said) super long sausage link and the coil it up on racks.  It gets cut to length later and is much faster.

3E346DDF-A680-4FC9-9F05-AB7657092EEE.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, USCATX said:

I’m using Cabela’s seasoning, but happy with these 80/20 venison/pork belly snack sticks done on applewood in my Little Chief electric.  Not sure why people insist on putting so much pork or beef in with venison when it’s such a mild meat and makes great sausage at 15% or so fat content. 

I’m super lazy about making them real stick length so I just run a (that’s what she said) super long sausage link and the coil it up on racks.  It gets cut to length later and is much faster.

3E346DDF-A680-4FC9-9F05-AB7657092EEE.jpeg

Looks nice.  I got pork butt @ 25% fat in my recipe calculator, which is based on the one that @Judge Roybeanbag shared here a while back...so 80/20 puts you at 5% fat which is pretty low. Probably alright for snack sticks, but not sufficient for sausage imo. 50/50 with butt gets you to 10-12%.  I'd love to find fat back as judge mentioned in another thread, but I don't exactly see that shit hanging out in the coolers at HEB. 

Looks nice.  I got pork butt @ 25% fat in my recipe calculator, which is based on the one that [mention=168]Judge Roybeanbag[/mention] shared here a while back...so 80/20 puts you at 5% fat which is pretty low. Probably alright for snack sticks, but not sufficient for sausage imo. 50/50 with butt gets you to 10-12%.  I'd love to find fat back as judge mentioned in another thread, but I don't exactly see that shit hanging out in the coolers at HEB. 

Ask the meat cutters at H-E-B. Sometimes I’ll call ahead and ask them to start setting aside beef fat trimmings for tallow. I make 4 or 5 big mason jars and share with family and friends. Lasts a while since I don’t use it as much as I used to. Thanks a lot to genetics finally catching up to my arteries. Maybe they can do fatback the same. They usually charge me around $1/lb. The best was when they said, “we’re trimming all the prime/wagyu stuff now. How much do you want?”

All of it. Obviously.

• 1 month later...

Made our first run at sausage this weekend.  We shot two whitetail doe this fall.  Ended up with 35 lb of deboned venison.  We tried a bunch of different spices / seasonings, but landed on a few that worked really well.  Lots of work over the weekend, and we'll definitely improve the process and get help next time.  Cold smoked all the link for 4 hrs.  We went 50/50 venison / pork for everything except the hamburger.  We did a few of those with 20% bacon for burger patties.  The final tally was 10 lb hamburger, 15 lb breakfast sausage, 20 lb regular link, 15 lb jalapeno cheese link, and 7 lb Italian.  

IMG_4741.jpeg

IMG_4744.jpeg

IMG_4745.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Drool 2

• 2 years later...

I made an obscene amount of sausage to smoke tomorrow. It was my first time making sausage, and after popping the casing a few times at first, I finally got in a groove and the process got a lot faster. Made a basic pork sausage using one of the Chud’s bbq videos. I’m glad I have enough to not have to do this again for a while. 

3A81439D-C10B-40F1-9571-DDC7D3CFF983.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I made an obscene amount of sausage to smoke tomorrow. It was my first time making sausage, and after popping the casing a few times at first, I finally got in a groove and the process got a lot faster. Made a basic pork sausage using one of the Chud’s bbq videos. I’m glad I have enough to not have to do this again for a while. 

3A81439D-C10B-40F1-9571-DDC7D3CFF983.jpeg

That looks like a feast!  Good job!

• 5 months later...

So I finally got around over the weekend to opening the meat grinder I got for Christmas last year. I started with a simple pan breakfast recipe I found in an artisanal sausage cookbook. Basically, it was a whole ground up shoulder mixed with some different spices and it turned out much better than I expected. Even my picky 13 yo son said, "That was really good."

Very excited to try more. My goal is to eventually come up with a German central Texas-style recipe of my own that I can add to the smoker rotation for more variety when I barbecue on the weekends.

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It’s pretty amazing how much small differences in seasonings, grinds, and ingredients make big differences.

I make bulk breakfast and Italian sausage. Cased sausage I haven’t tackled yet but want to for processing my son’s deer harvest.

I like different combos of red pepper, black pepper, sage and garlic for breakfast sausage (wife likes some brown sugar in it) and the same for Italian less the sage adding fennel and oregano.

• Hook 'Em 1

I honestly forgot about this thread!  I sold my house and thus my smoker setup.  Just moved into the new digs and still a few months away from rebuilding the pit.  Which was unfortunate because we processed an elk, an axis and a whitetail this winter.  Had help this time, and did over 250 lb of sausage.  Plus a lot of roasts, etc from the elk.  I can't remember the final tally and I didn't take any pictures, but we had pan, Italian, Greek, Andouille and traditional smoked link sausage.  Gave a ton away, but still have a bunch in the freezer.  I'll try to post pics of the setup this winter.  Got a pretty nice processing station in my garage now with a gambrel on a rail, floor drain, rolling stainless table and two-compartment sink.  It should really make things a lot more efficient from now on.  

Holy shit, dude. Respek!

5 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

I honestly forgot about this thread!  I sold my house and thus my smoker setup.  Just moved into the new digs and still a few months away from rebuilding the pit.  Which was unfortunate because we processed an elk, an axis and a whitetail this winter.  Had help this time, and did over 250 lb of sausage.  Plus a lot of roasts, etc from the elk.  I can't remember the final tally and I didn't take any pictures, but we had pan, Italian, Greek, Andouille and traditional smoked link sausage.  Gave a ton away, but still have a bunch in the freezer.  I'll try to post pics of the setup this winter.  Got a pretty nice processing station in my garage now with a gambrel on a rail, floor drain, rolling stainless table and two-compartment sink.  It should really make things a lot more efficient from now on.  

Speaking of andouille, I used this seasoning on a batch this year and it turned out really good.  You have to use a lot of water with the mix, so I hung the sausage in the smokehouse for a day or 2 with our dried sausage to get some of the water out and the flavor concentrated and it turned out excellent.

https://www.amazon.com/Plantation-P-Smoked-Andouille-Sausage-Seasoning/dp/B00FCF8CUS/ref=sr_1_2_pp?keywords=andouille+sausage&qid=1690389981&sr=8-2