Top Gun 2

Red Five

On 7/22/2019 at 1:53 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

Without question.  I used to listen to Jay Mohr's podcast a lot and he gushes about how great Tom Cruise was during the production of Jerry Maguire.... first one on the set, last to leave, nice to every single person he interacted with, etc.

I know some of the people he dealt with at Walmart and he went to Bentonville once to help promote a DVD back when people bought DVD's.  He went out to dinner that night by himself at some restaurant on the town square and hung out for almost 3 hours while people came up and introduced themselves and had their pictures takes with him.  I can't think of another celebrity that would do that.  

Really, helluva guy.  There's just the space people thing.....

On 7/22/2019 at 11:41 AM, demos said:

Worst part of that fucking game.

But was there a better feeling that when you nailed it, with that 8 bit song playing and the sunset in the background when you landed safe?  

Edited by pops

10 minutes ago, Parliament said:

If an officer goes 30 some years without a promotion, wouldn't he have been run out of the Navy by then?

You probably should suspend your disbelief a bit more than that and contemplate exactly how many guys who are in their mid to late 50s are still active save the world pilots...naval aviators.

Mav is commissioned so he's likely been to college (22 years old at best) He enters flight school after that where unlike Cougar he wasn't anybody's brother.  That's 1-2 years of training and then specialization in the F-14.  Then he's been on active duty long enough to make Stinger do something he can't believe.  So probably 25 at best at time of Top Gun.  

On 7/26/2019 at 8:11 PM, pops said:

But was there a better feeling that when you nailed it, with that 8 bit song playing and the sunset in the background when you landed safe?  

The sequel on NES, Top Gun: The Second Mission, was unforgiving as all hell.  It was like being bludgeoned to death with burning bowling balls.

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

If an officer goes 30 some years without a promotion, wouldn't he have been run out of the Navy by then?

Who said he has gone 30 years without a promotion? 

He just hasn't been promoted as much as he should have been, and probably hit his ceiling at captain.

According to The Navy Officer Ranking a Captain (where Maverick is currently) is three levels above Lieutenant (where Maverick was in Top Gun).

A 2 star Admiral is two levels above Captain.

So instead of being promoted 5 times, he has just been promoted 3 times.....assuming he hasn't been demoted at any time.

22 hours ago, BornOrange said:

Screen-Shot-2019-07-20-at-5.20.31-PM.png?resize=580%2C588&ssl=1

May have something to do with the fact he's almost 10 years beyond mandatory retirement.  They tend not to let almost-70 year olds be Captains, let alone 2-stars.  

21 minutes ago, Lobo said:

May have something to do with the fact he's almost 10 years beyond mandatory retirement.  They tend not to let almost-70 year olds be Captains, let alone 2-stars.  

He would be an almost-60 year old.....and it's the movies.

Edited by BornOrange

On 7/20/2019 at 11:56 AM, longhornmatt said:

I think Harrison Ford is the biggest star of the last 30 years and possibly of all time (although I guess maybe I’m just getting old considering him a part of the modern era, because he basically shut it down 20 years ago).  

I do think Cruise is probably second after him in that 30 year period and a top 10 star ever.  Tom Hanks had to start shifting into more “age appropriate” roles 15 years ago whereas Cruise is still doing big budget “leading man hero who gets the girl” roles as a 60 year old thanks to his alien anti-aging sorcery.

Based on pure stardom, which I’m arbitrarily saying is some combination of box office draw and playing the lead in movies that become enduring classics, my uninformed hot take top 10 list would be something like the following (going chronologically and not necessarily the ranking):

1. Humphrey Bogart

2. Jimmy Stewart

3. John Wayne

4. Cary Grant

5. Paul Newman

6. Clint Eastwood

7. Al Pacino

8. Harrison Ford

9. Tom Cruise

10. Tom Hanks

That's a pretty good list, yo. Agree completely.

On 7/21/2019 at 3:27 AM, MillerEP said:

Not ashamed to admit that I’ll be watching this one opening weekend.

I got 2 boys, 13 & 15. You bet yer ass we'll be there, too. If you don't come outta the theater wanting to fly jets after Top Gun, you might be dead...

On 7/26/2019 at 9:42 PM, futureman said:

I don’t understand why she wasn’t cast.  is she not as attractive as jennifer connolly?

Careful there is already a twitter backlash that Cruise and Kilmer are back but not the "two original" older women. ie-  Hollywood is age sexist. 

I approve of Phoenix- 

11 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Are we supposed to act like Charlie was somehow important to the first movie or empowering for women?  

Ok, you want Kelly McGillis in the sequel?  Her character was a civilian contractor who was completely wrong about the MiG’s capabilities in the only scene we saw her doing her job.  Otherwise, she was a barfly who hooked up with one of her students because he was a bad boy with a cool motorcycle.  They had a fling that would last the few weeks he was in town, except then she developed feelings for him.  He left anyway to go blow up Russians and slay other base poon.

You really want to see how that woman is doing in 2019, America?  Let’s check in on Charlie and her cats in between aerial combat scenes.  

She shouldn't have even been in the original, much less the sequel. Ugly AF.

57 minutes ago, wood said:

I saw that roll at low altitude over the top of the mountain & thought it was bullshit, then I saw this. Fuck me ...

Once I was backpacking in the North Cascade mountains in Washington.  We were coming up on a saddle between two mountains when we heard some rumbling.  Skies were blue, no storms.  Then we saw 2 jets come screaming up the valley and through the saddle at very low altitude over us.  And one of them was doing a motherfucking barrel roll.  So awesome, we were high fiving each other. 

• Like 1