Anthony Bourdain dead

Deej

2 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

CDC just came out with a report that suicides are up in almost every state since 1999 and up over 30% in half of states.  People who attack those who commit suicide or argue that this isn't a serious problem are wrong and should shut the fuck up, imo.  

https://www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns/suicide/

Chris Del Conte is really widening the role of Texas AD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Fucking tragic. He had the dream job of dream jobs and all the money and perks that went with it. Still didn't silence those demons.Cook free or die.

my two cents

1) happiness is always relative. its not about what you have , but where you are going (or not going)

2) we tend to think of drug abuse in the moment only. see heroin relapse comments up thread. i firmly believe drug issues cause lifelong mental problems and can lead to serious depression even when cold turkey. we don't have the science (at least i don't think so) that fully supports that, but thats my feeling. could be clean for 30 years and his brain was scrambled a bit more than most due to heavy coke us. 

RIP. had my dream job. i will not judge. thanks to him for making this world a much better place. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Washpark said:

Guess he checked in for his last reservation....

Interesting comparison between this thread / response and Kate Spade's.

This site is full of hypocrites.  Jokes a puns when a fashion designer commits suicide, but don’t dare make light if the situation when their favorite food writer takes his own life.

• Like 4

He is one of the coolest people I ever met and I loved his shows. My pub friend Kyle who plays with The Sword brought him into the Draught House when he filmed a show in Austin.

This is such a tragic loss to humanity.

• Like 1

I didn't know Kate Spade. The first time I knew she existed was her exit. That doesn't make it any less tragic. 

This one hurts more because I liked the ornery fucker. 

Yeah, if any of y'all are in the throes of an outbreak I'd like to extend an invite to our thread. I started the thing. It's not mine. It's for anybody. 

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I posted this on the food and travel thread, but appears to me to have a pussy undefeated angle in play. 

Last weekend in Rome:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5807979/Asia-Argento-embraces-Hugo-Clement-shared-attack-Harvey-Weinstein-Cannes.html

damn.  hope this is not the case.  no person is worth it.

7 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

sidenote, when the misogynistic incels make the leap, they are going to cyber bulling the shit out of Asia.

for anyone else who was wondering...

Incels (a portmanteau of "involuntary celibates") are self-identifying members of an online subculture[1][2] who define themselves as unable to find a romantic or sexual partner despite desiring one, a state they describe as inceldom.

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Search all over the world as he might, he could never find anything to top that beef rib at John Mueller's and the shots of Garrison Brothers Texas Bourbon from my bottle.

RIP

For real? from your bottle?  Dang I missed a story somewhere.

Damned sure going to miss Bourdain.  Really enjoyed his shows and his quirks.   Never would have guessed he had so much troubling him that he would do something like commit suicide.  Hope he found the peace he was missing.

RIP

1 minute ago, Orca of Peace said:

thanks AB for leading us in travels and cultural discovery all over the world. You were a Uniter of humanity. What a dream job as others have stated. The world is much poorer without him. 

my feelings exactly, except that the world is now much richer because of him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

For real? from your bottle?  Dang I missed a story somewhere.

Damned sure going to miss Bourdain.  Really enjoyed his shows and his quirks.   Never would have guessed he had so much troubling him that he would do something like commit suicide.  Hope he found the peace he was missing.

RIP

It does illustrate that everyone is facing his own crises.  And when you have a mental illness, those crises can overwhelm.

It's weird--a lot of people say that they would commit suicide if they had a terminal painful physical illness, both to end the pain and to spare their loved ones from watching their decline.  And somehow that is viewed as a rational decision.  It may not be the decision that you would make for yourself, but most people view it as rational.

But when it's a mental illness--whoa, that's "selfish" or "irrational."  But it sure doesn't seem that way to the sufferer.  To him, it appears to be a rational decision to end the pain and spare his loved ones from being further impacted.  To them, it's not selfish, it's selfless; it's not irrational; it's the only rational decision.

That's what mental illness does to you.  It's tragic.  But it's an illness all the same.  He died of an illness just the same as if he'd have died of cancer.

• Like 6

Jesus

This one actually effects me hard.

I believed so strongly in his work that travel and exploration has become an ethos for me. I have tried and experienced so much more in life because of the influence of his writings and shows on me.

I felt his narration was brilliant and his storytelling was only getting better.

This really really sucks.

I want to be this type of person. I don’t have the time or money (i.e. the balls) to actually do it, but I’m hoping when my kids are older and I have a little more financial stability that my wife and I can do some real traveling. For now I live vicariously through travel and food shows, and AB was one of my favorite. RIP.
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2018 at 9:42 AM, Ghost of LL said:

It does illustrate that everyone is facing his own crises.  And when you have a mental illness, those crises can overwhelm.

It's weird--a lot of people say that they would commit suicide if they had a terminal painful physical illness, both to end the pain and to spare their loved ones from watching their decline.  And somehow that is viewed as a rational decision.  It may not be the decision that you would make for yourself, but most people view it as rational.

But when it's a mental illness--whoa, that's "selfish" or "irrational."  But it sure doesn't seem that way to the sufferer.  To him, it appears to be a rational decision to end the pain and spare his loved ones from being further impacted.  To them, it's not selfish, it's selfless; it's not irrational; it's the only rational decision.

That's what mental illness does to you.  It's tragic.  But it's an illness all the same.  He died of an illness just the same as if he'd have died of cancer.

I started to make a comment on the bolded abover earlier but didn't so here goes.

I may have posted this at that other place in the past but am not sure, but since a very young age I had always had the mindset that should I ever become physically disabled, paralyzed or something like that, that I would end it all.  Having been extremely active in all aspects of my life everyday would have just made it unbearable to have to adjust to a "lesser" lifestyle.  Lo and behold, I have a major accident at 38 years old that eventually causes the amputation of my leg 2 years later.  So at that point I had basically spent 2 years of my life flat on my freaking back not able to do anything.  The left leg was badly damaged as it was used as a tissue donor site to try to save the other leg.  Along with my latissimus dorsi muscle, and my left rectus abdominus muscle.  After it was all said and done, it dawned on me that I never, despite depression, and anger thought of following through on harming myself.   Sometimes some of us tap into reserves of strength we didn't even know we possessed.

In reference to an earlier comment about seeing a gash on your arm and knowing you need stitches.  I had never thought about how many "soul" or emotional injuries can stay invisible and hidden to us, sometime for years.  They may only become evident right at the tipping point when it may be extremely hard to seek help or get things turned around.  Thank God I've never experienced that (yet), but one of my children has and even looking in from the outside it's terrifying.  Emotional pain and anguish can reach depths that are almost incomprehensible.  Since we had our scare with our daughter, I surely see the world through different eyes.

*EDIT:  I remembered after talking with my wife this weekend that there one time I did consider suicide during the ordeal with my leg.  It was during debriding after the last surgery trying to save it.   If you have ever had serious debridement you'll understand that it is painful beyond description.  It was during debridement with no sedation and minimal pain meds that it hurt so bad I started grabbing at the technicians tray trying to find a pair of scissors so I could stab myself to death.  Yes, it hurt that bad.  After that, I was given "twilight sleep" prior to any further procedures like that.

Edited by SHOOTER12
fat finger McGee
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I want to be this type of person. I don’t have the time or money (i.e. the balls) to actually do it, but I’m hoping when my kids are older and I have a little more financial stability that my wife and I can do some real traveling. For now I live vicariously through travel and food shows, and AB was one of my favorite. RIP.

I am lucky that I get to travel for work.  I explored (and will continue to explore) parts of cities I would have never entered 15 years ago.  

I am convinced that the explosion and acceptance of more ethnic foods and the search for culinary authenticity is largely a result of Bourdain's influence.  Andy Ricker, Roy Choi, David Chang..the list goes on and on

Not to mention the TV guys like Zimmern, Ripert, Costintino, even Tesar all owe Bordain a HUGE amount of credit for where and who they are.  Hell, FlavorTown owes him a HUGE debt of gratitude for the press alone.

Just trying too capture his influence on food and travel, and his influence on me is hard to put in words.  I kind of feel like I lost my guide.  As soon as our kids are out of the house my wife and I are going to vagabond it around world capitals for 10-15 years.  Largely because of how small I realized our worldview was based on some of Bourdains work.

I read he was found by Ripert.  That just fucking sucks man.

Edited by Gardner Barnes
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

I am lucky that I get to travel for work.  I explored (and will continue to explore) parts of cities I would have never entered 15 years ago.  

I am convinced that the explosion and acceptance of more ethnic foods and the search for culinary authenticity is largely a result of Bourdain's influence.  Andy Ricker, Roy Choi, David Chang..the list goes on and on

Not to mention the TV guys like Zimmern, Ripert, Costintino, even Tesar all owe Bordain a HUGE amount of credit for where and who they are.  Hell, FlavorTown owes him a HUGE debt of gratitude for the press alone.

Just trying too capture his influence on food and travel, and his influence on me is hard to put in words.  I kind of feel like I lost my guide.  As soon as our kids are out of the house my wife and I are going to vagabond it around world capitals for 10-15 years.  Largely because of how small I realized our worldview was based on some of Bourdains work.

I read he was found by Ripert.  That just fucking sucks man.

I appreciate your comments here quite a bit. I was very fortunate to basically be a child of two immigrants and therefore was raised traveling. Later in my life I realized the importance of those experiences and maintain to this day that traveling is my number one passion. I also believe that it is thee best way to get educated on just about anything. It is the best learning. It is the best window into yourself and into others. 

I am even trying to figure out how to do more volunteer work re: traveling. Not where I travel (to do it), but I spend my $ and/or time promoting traveling as a primary education tool for people who don't have access to it, or don't currently value it. If you see anything along those lines hit me up. I will do the same. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

DM now making the link to undefeated explicitly.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5821039/Anthony-Bourdain-died-suicide-age-61.html

I will say, if you have to go, this is as good a last meal as any.

4D0D597000000578-5821039-Bourdain_s_last

holy fuck, a quote from that DM article:

Just two hours before the news of Bourdain's death was announced, Argento posted a photo of herself to her Instagram story, wearing a 'f*** everyone' t-shirt showing Bourdain's idol Sid Vicious. She wrote on the image: 'You know who you are'. The image was later taken down. 

This one really sucks.

His attitude and approach to the world -- meaning all of its places, people, cultures, and food -- has actually been quite influential in my family's life.  My daughter still chews me out for passing up an opportunity to meet Bourdain, instead spending the day with her on her birthday (hey, family first).

And interesting that she found out as she deplaned in Frankfurt.  She sent us a text asking if it was true, as she didn't have data coverage.  Then, she scrambled through customs, had to hunt for her bag, and barely made her train for Cologne.  Now she's on the train, feeling a bit sad, and looking forward to eating her first fresh German strawberry.

At times, I really f'n hate this planet, and I am an incredible pessimist.  But guys like Bourdain, being out and about in the massive, chaotic milieu of it all, help remind me of its beauty.  And that it is to be experienced, enjoyed, and treasured.  My kids know and believe that, and that may be the best thing we've instilled in them as parents.

The world is poorer for his loss.  Now, we need to pick up the slack.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 4

I always appreciated David Foster Wallace’s description of the mindset of the suicidally depressed.

“the person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise”

Like said before, it simply becomes perceived to be the rational choice.

• Like 1

Shit must have been real bad if he did it in France while with Ripert.  One of his favorite countries and one of his closest friends.

I take it the other way, go in your spiritual homeland with one of your favorite people there to ensure things get done right.

1 hour ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

I always appreciated David Foster Wallace’s description of the mindset of the suicidally depressed.

“the person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise”

Like said before, it simply becomes perceived to be the rational choice.

QFT.

Once you understand that THIS is the typical mindset of a suicidal person, then you understand the threat/risk we're working against.

9 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

true, hanging in a hotel room in both cases IIRC

I would have to think they wouldn't have called it a definitive suicide if he was found with his pants at his ankles and a rope around his neck.

this has got me thinking deeply today. you never really know what the guy next to you is carrying with him. that goes for the grocery store line, the stoplight, whatever. but you can be an agent of change for people you know. you can reach out and make that phone call to see how things are going. you can have a relationship that goes beyond social media or text message. call a friend today. call a friend every day. talk to people. i have not been doing enough of that, i think.

• Like 3

this has got me thinking deeply today. you never really know what the guy next to you is carrying with him. that goes for the grocery store line, the stoplight, whatever. but you can be an agent of change for people you know. you can reach out and make that phone call to see how things are going. you can have a relationship that goes beyond social media or text message. call a friend today. call a friend every day. talk to people. i have not been doing enough of that, i think.

I hate all the positive affirmations I see on social media, but someone posted this today “don’t forget to check on your ‘strong’ friend.” Seems pretty relevant.