Concerts you are attending

bamachine

Old guy here. 

how are the Eagles shows nowadays?  I never saw them back in the hey day but have always loved them. Then saw the 2 part doc and really loved it. 

Friend has offered to buy us good floor seats if we really want to go. I am scared at  the prices I might be disappointed. 

Anybody been recently?
I saw them a year or so ago. I thought they were really good. Vince Gill fits right in and Freys son did a pretty good job.

I'd go again if tix weren't so high.

Picked up tickets to see Shane Smith in Denver next month.  They usually play for a night or two on their way two or from the big festival in Steamboat Springs.
I heard on the radio that Motley Crue, Poison, Def Leppard are touring next year.  We saw Crue at least on their farewell tour, and they swore up one side and down the other that they weren't going to be like all of the other retiring bands and reunite a year or two down the road.   
I just looked up tix today for that def leppard/Crue/poison/joan jett in Houston.

$80 pre fees to get in the door.
Lowers pushing double that pre fees.

I've seen them all before except Crue, but think I'm gonna pass.

I like Vince.  Just not a fan of the Amy Grant/Christmas stuff. But Rodney Fucking Crowell wipes out any of that.  I'd sit through Michael Bolton to see Rodney.  

Do love me some RC. Caught him at the student union auditorium on UT campus years ago, as the show was wrapping up the night skies outside opened up so he did an extended encore kicking it off with wish it would rain. Cool seeing slaid cleaves in the crowd that night.

Edited to add, got black pumas, 1100 springs, Dwight Yoakam, and Susto on the radar in coming months.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 10:39 AM, hullabelew said:

I like Vince.  Just not a fan of the Amy Grant/Christmas stuff. But Rodney Fucking Crowell wipes out any of that.  I'd sit through Michael Bolton to see Rodney.  

Couple of years ago my girlfriend gifted me tickets to Rodney Crowell and ELH at a venue in Boulder, CO that is basically a giant barn turned into a theater. It was like Emmy was singing to me in my living room. 

On 12/12/2019 at 11:16 PM, Scraps said:

I just looked up tix today for that def leppard/Crue/poison/joan jett in Houston.

When we saw Motley Crue several years ago it was an awesome show. Then we caught them on their “Farewell Tour”, and I am not sure if it was the sound system or Vince’s vocals, or both, but we couldn’t hear at least half of the vocals. 

On 12/12/2019 at 11:13 PM, Scraps said:

I saw them a year or so ago. I thought they were really good. Vince Gill fits right in and Freys son did a pretty good job.

Ticket scalpers getting good money for this one. Buddy called last night and section 12 at AAC (front floor) $1200 per. He said no problem I’ll get them for 3 of us. 

Then says he will get rooms at W so we can walk to show. That’s a good friend. 

On 12/12/2019 at 11:16 PM, Scraps said:

Considering 3 of the 4 bands headline on their own, it's not horrible. Not great, but by today's standards is less than I would have thought.

23 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

When we saw Motley Crue several years ago it was an awesome show. Then we caught them on their “Farewell Tour”, and I am not sure if it was the sound system or Vince’s vocals, or both, but we couldn’t hear at least half of the vocals. 

It was Vince. Many thought he was drunk and forgetting the words. No, the truth of it is he was out of shape and out of breath. Poor performance vocally from him, but the band sounded fucking great though.

On 12/13/2019 at 12:13 AM, Scraps said:

I haven’t been to an arena show since advent of cell phones. Did they allow or not to this show?

I haven’t been to an arena show since advent of cell phones. Did they allow or not to this show?
The one I went to in Houston did allow them.

I've actually never been to one that didn't. I know there are probably some that don't, but I haven't heard of them. Now I have for stand up comics.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2019 at 8:34 PM, Shaddie said:

Old guy here. 

how are the Eagles shows nowadays?  I never saw them back in the hey day but have always loved them. Then saw the 2 part doc and really loved it. 

Friend has offered to buy us good floor seats if we really want to go. I am scared at  the prices I might be disappointed. 

Anybody been recently?

I saw them in 94 in Texas Memorial Stadium.  They were fantastic.  Always told the wife I would take her and did so about 4 or 5 years ago for the "story of the Eagles" that followed the documentary you mentioned.  That might have been even better because of all of the commentary they added to the sets, but that first show was hard to top.  Both concerts sounded just like the radio.

I'm headed to Mile 0 Fest in Key West at the end of the month.  REK and Isbell headlining with a ton of good names on the undercard.  Seems that they finally made a perfect festival for the old folks.

I was a huge Femmes fan back in the 90s, but never got the chance to see them live.  They usually played places that I wasn't old enough to get into as a high schooler.  "Great guy" wouldn't have been my guess for Gano though.  That guy wrote some crazy shit.  Country Death Song was one I was fascinated and horrified by at the same time.

Would love to go to that concert though.  I was a big fan of both a few decades back.

7 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

I hang out with Gordon Gano (Violent Femmes lead) pretty often -- super great guy. Should be a fun show at Red Rocks. 

That was some underwhelming shit

I thought it was a-ight. Wife and her friend dragged me to the show. I had very little pre-show exposure to their work. My wife really likes them. There were moments of real genius — once they came on (seriously long interlude between opening act and Pumas). Apparently, lead singer was late getting to Dallas from Austin. Canton Hall was way, way oversold. That part sucked.

Ya cman, was coming back to mention at least part of the underwhelm was the venue overselling the hell out of tix so the whole experience was tainted, but really I just didn’t think they were very good (at least, that show wasn’t). You aren’t kidding about the long interlude, swear it was 45 min between sets. Similar familiarity with them as you as well, just heard the hype and went into it with near virgin ears.

Very curious to know how the Kessler sets go and how they set up for it. I guess their C Boys background in Austin translates really well to a Kessler size venue.

On 1/14/2020 at 8:38 PM, CooterBrown said:

Haven’t picked a date yet but Ministry is doing a 30th anniversary tour for The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste. It’ll be the same bill as then with KMFDM and Front Line Assembly in support. They will play the ‘89 set lists from that tour.

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2020/01/13/ministry-kmfdm-front-line-assembly-tour/

Ministry’s Industrial Strength Tour
July 1: Seattle, WA @ The Showbox Sodo
July 2: Portland, OR @ Roseland Theater
July 3: Missoula, MT @ Wilma Theatre
July 5: Denver, CO @ Ogden Theatre
July 7: Minneapolis, MN @ First Avenue
July 9: Pittsburgh, PA @ Stage AE
July 10: Detroit, MI @ Royal Oak Music Theatre
July 11: Chicago, IL @ Riviera Theatre
July 12: Niagara Falls, NY @ Rapids Theatre
July 13: Cleveland, OH @ Agora Theatre
July 15: Boston, MA @ House of Blues