Concerts you are attending

bamachine

I don’t think you’ve been made aware of the things venues are asking artists to do, just “in case” someone somewhere allows a show. 

They are asking the bands to add things like “temp and vaccination check all entrants”, as well as “ensure all entrants wear a mask at all times.”

That is just a start. But think about it logically. North Dakota may say ok, have your show. Other states may not. Or may not when things start, but open up last minute. 

The planning and logistics in a tour are ridiculous, even on a small scale. It won’t matter about how many have been vaccinated, it matters about how things are going by the time they can wait no longer to reschedule or cancel.

I want it to happen as much as the next person, but I can’t see any big shows happening this year outdoors (10’s and 10’s of thousands of fans) or indoor arena shows with only 10k-15k people.

If things were as they are right now, but the date today was October 12th, maybe. But it just won’t be quite soon enough to let the big shows happen.  Especially with the mutated variants now showing up and some unknowns with the current vaccines and their effectiveness against them. 

As well as how long the vaccine actually lasts. Is it like the flu shot and you need a new one annually, or is it like the anthrax shot and you need 5yr boosters, or like the measles or something where your done?

They have ideas, sure, but nothing solid yet. I can’t think of anywhere that is so out of touch that they would think a 20k+ concert would be a bright idea this year. 

Sucks, believe me, I was headed to the EU to follow my band a bit last summer, rescheduled to this summer, but no way will there be shows with 40k-60k+ in attendance  

What if the people in charge say ok, have your 30k show at Wrigley Field, but capacity cannot exceed 15k? Do they do two shows, lottery for fans with tickets? What do they do? 

The simple answer is they cancel the shows this year too and try again when shit settles out and things are more manageable  

I do love me some Styx. Mr Shaw has done an excellent job, and I won’t lie, I like him better than Dennis. Sometimes things like that work, and sometimes you get that fucking Gary guy fucking up bands all over. Including Extreme. First album to their second? Sold. The. Fuck. Out. Not that their first was stupid heavy, but Nuno busted out some fire chops on it with some fun songs.

Oh, while we're at it, I'll take some REO, Cheap Trick, and Little River Band too. (Then turn right around and blast Pantera, Slayer, or SOD. Speaking of which, I would love for them to do another run. Crazy fucking shows. Almost Motorhead level.)

17 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

I can’t think of anywhere that is so out of touch that they would think a 20k+ concert would be a bright idea this year. 

Might you have heard of...Ohio? (Actually not sure capacity but looks to be well into the thousands)

919096026_ScreenShot2021-02-12at7_10_56PM.png.f94527e9fcb5f8b199d6257c2dcfd152.png

Edited by Bartles
Photo size

I don’t give a fuck about a poster. I have tickets to a ton of shows this summer. 

Know what is going to happen?

Once they hit the time where they have to make the call, they will cancel. Could be a few weeks before. I had several shows cancel or reschedule last summer with only a few weeks before the tour was supposed to start. One band did rolling cancels/rescheduled for a few rounds. 

Bands are planning on touring, yes. Selling tickets? Yes. 

Will shit happen?

Nope.

Tiny clubs at half capacity? Maybe. Anything over that will be a while. 

i have vip phish tickets for the atlantic city shows canceled last august. the band rolled them them forward for those interested. these shows are literally on the beach off the boardwalk. preemptive fuck off to phish haters, but these concerts will be among the biggest parties on the planet when they happen.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I dunno man. Sounds like a good time, Jersey aside. I like phish, but not always if that makes sense? Gotta be in a mood for it, or I’ll flop. 

I’ve got vip tix and meet/greet for 4 of the crue/def lep stadium shows. 2 vip for lep, 2 for crue.

I had Sammy Hagar tix (with Whitesnake and Night Ranger.) I got a sweet-ass deal though. 4 tix that were 300 a pop, had a coupon so ended up being less. Show canceled, and I had the option of a full refund or 150% in credit to use at any live nation venue through 2022. Cool thing is they gave me credit for the face value, without consideration for the discount. So that was nice. $1800 credit for $780? Hell yeah.

Then there’s Maiden. I have an addiction, and that’s it. Give me the rail, two hours of Maiden, absolutely wiped out after, and ready to hit the next show. Some people shoot for it, jump for, snort for it... all ya gotta do is ride that rail.

So much for another adventure across the pond last summer, or this. Ugh. That’s my thing. Was originally only going to do the last two shows, was going to pick up a few more (try to hit about half the shows each year) since they twisted up the schedule a bit with the reschedule for this summer. There goes that shit, so hopefully they bust out the jet next year and I can hit some of those markets and some here and there.

There’s other one off shows I have tickets for as well. Smaller shows, club stuff. Maybe a few happen later on, but I doubt the three before July will. 

• Like 1

Thunder, what is the downside to letting some of these small/medium things go off at 50% capacity, especially outdoors? Assuming COVID conditions are much better than now, but maybe not all the way gone.

I don't think anyone has sued any of the SEC football venues or indoor restaurants, etc. It's just impossible to prove where an outbreak starts, especially since we don't contact trace. Is it just a matter of costs for PPE and safety on site?

I agree it will vary by location, and maybe some national acts don't want to skip California, the northeast and other major cities.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 6:22 AM, Bartles said:

Thunder, what is the downside to letting some of these small/medium things go off at 50% capacity, especially outdoors? Assuming COVID conditions are much better than now, but maybe not all the way gone.

I don't think anyone has sued any of the SEC football venues or indoor restaurants, etc. It's just impossible to prove where an outbreak starts, especially since we don't contact trace. Is it just a matter of costs for PPE and safety on site?

I agree it will vary by location, and maybe some national acts don't want to skip California, the northeast and other major cities.

Sorry, I didn’t catch this a month ago. 

There are a ton of things at play here. I’m going to kind of generalize, and say up front that there may be outlying cases and such. One off things, or whatever. And I’m speaking about big shows where there would normally be 10k+ attending.

First, when we get to say, September, things will look different than they do today. However, we don’t know what that will look like. We have expectations, but we just don’t know. We could all be shot up by mid summer, but maybe a new variant pops up that current vaccines can’t fight and we’re back to how things were 4 months or more ago. Who knows. 

So let’s start with rescheduled shows. If the venue holds say, 20k, but capacity restrictions say 50% capacity. Show is sold out. Who do you tell that they can’t come? How do you cut that capacity? Ask the band to play a second night for free? Even then, how do you split it up?

Do you check temps and vaccination cards on entry? How long will that take? How will that impact entry flow and crowd control. That’s all before the costs to do whatever are factored in.

Now what about the varying restrictions city by city, state by state.

Say a tour is tentatively set to kick off June 1st. The folks in charge have to make a decision a good bit before that. They have to base those decisions on the current landscape. At that time say for 50 shows over 3 months they would be able to actually play 30 of those shows. Now they have to replan the logistics and crunch the numbers. Would that work? What if as the tour starts another 10 or 15 shows get cancelled. More number crunching, more logistics. Or what if a few more open up and now 5 that were cancelled but still upcoming on the schedule would be green lit? Do you scramble to get them in, or keep the current plan?

These things get planned put way in advance. They need a ton of rooms for the crew and staff, plus the band. Those typically aren’t happening last minute. Not to mention getting local support crew and local equipment set up, which at last minute is a fucking bitch. Catering, laundry, grounds crew, all kinds of behind the scene shit that most people don’t think about. There is a LOT you don’t see. 

Now for an announced tour, fresh and not rescheduled from 2020. Some of the same things, but also if they can only sell 50% capacity, is that enough to at a bare minimum cover the cost? Do you double ticket prices? Double merch prices?

Do you do rolling cancellations or in chunks waiting for possible restrictions to lift? How long do you wait?

There is so much that goes on, and they can’t really make plans on “might be” or “predicted to be” type shit. 

They’ll announce it’s happening, absolutely. Question is, will it really happen when the time comes?

• 2 weeks later...

Thunder, you sound like a knowledgeable dude, but I respectfully disagree with your skepticism.

Live music in the US is a $10B plus industry that’s been offline for a year. The vast majority of artists, promoters, production companies and venues cant afford another year without revenue. As such, they’re going to roll the dice COVID be damned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, Footballpants said:

Thunder, you sound like a knowledgeable dude, but I respectfully disagree with your skepticism.

Live music in the US is a $10B plus industry that’s been offline for a year. The vast majority of artists, promoters, production companies and venues cant afford another year without revenue. As such, they’re going to roll the dice COVID be damned.

Well no shit they want to. However it is not their decision, and that’s the issue. 

They were pit too! Rescheduled, but rumor is that refunds are about to be issued before they reschedule again.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I’m not following you: are you saying the current dates are going to be rescheduled again? There are a lot of tickets available for the summer dates. I’m eyeing Chicago.

Well no shit they want to. However it is not their decision, and that’s the issue. 

I’m gonna hope that the current trends continue and the fact that there was no spike after the Super Bowl in Tampa will give the organizers, artists, and local governments the confidence to proceed. I don’t think we’ve seen a spike in Atlanta after the NBA All Star game either.

I’m gonna hope that the current trends continue and the fact that there was no spike after the Super Bowl in Tampa will give the organizers, artists, and local governments the confidence to proceed. I don’t think we’ve seen a spike in Atlanta after the NBA All Star game either.
Ufc about to pack Jacksonville end of April

58 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I hope to hell I’m wrong. However, knowing the logistics and using a little common sense just won’t let me get my hopes up at all.

Ask @AnotherUTFan, he knows I don’t fuck around when it comes to shows. That’s my addiction. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Footballpants said:

Thunder, you can rest easy big fella. It’s a virtual guarantee that big shows and festivals will be going off in a parts of the country this summer and fall.

See, that’s the problem. “Parts” of the country. That is where the logistical nightmare begins.

Say a tour is supposed to kick off mid June with 45 dates over the summer. So May 1, for example, of those 45 tentative dates, say 35 of those could happen at the time. OK, so they cut the 10. Then a few weeks later, maybe another 5 have to be cut. Then a few weeks later as the tour kicks off 6 of the now 15 canceled could happen. How is that handled? 

There is just so much that goes on behind the curtain that it can turn ugly fast. 

One-off shows like a festival? Maybe.

Big tours? Not impossible, but not likely. 

Going off last years timing, most won’t be known until about 6 weeks +/- before the show date, or the date of the first show. Depends if they do “rolling” cancel/resched, or cancel the whole thing.

Are they planning on going now? Of course. Will it follow through? Who knows. 

I’m not following you: are you saying the current dates are going to be rescheduled again? There are a lot of tickets available for the summer dates. I’m eyeing Chicago.
I texted with my friend who got us those tickets this morning. He says nothing's official, but the rumor is that its going to cancel and we'll be refunded.

To thunderlounge's point, its currently rescheduled for June 12. There is no way in hell we are going to have full arenas by June 12. If they try to do it at half, or a quarter capacity, who with a ticket gets told they can't go?

Plus its the pit for Run the Jewels and Rage Against the Machine, the crowd is a big part of the appeal of going. I hope they just postpone again.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

To thunderlounge's point, its currently rescheduled for June 12. There is no way in hell we are going to have full arenas by June 12. If they try to do it at half, or a quarter capacity, who with a ticket gets told they can't go?

Exactly. And way more than that if you want to go down the rabbit hole. 

I know for myself there isn’t a chance I’ll be wandering the EU starting in June, let alone any stadiums or sheds here. 

It’s more than just a big crowd, and I’m not sure many realize what’s going on behind the scenes of it all. 

Dang. 

Dear Ticket Holder,

The Flaming Lips with the Dallas Symphony, initially scheduled for Sunday, April 19, 2020, and later rescheduled for 2021, has been cancelled. 

To prevent fraud and protect the security of your information, our system did not store your credit card information. We will reach out to you by phone for your credit card details to issue a refund by card or to verify your mailing address to issue a refund check. 

I'm still sitting on two sets of Rollings Stones tix from last summer (Dallas/Austin).  

Yet ACLfest wants me to buy tix for October.  October seems more likely than this summer though.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Dang. 
Yet ACLfest wants me to buy tix for October.  October seems more likely than this summer though.  

It was a big move for ACL to recently publish the October date and i’ll sure as shit but tix the moment they become available. With vax rates I struggle how outdoor won’t happen by then.

23 minutes ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

It was a big move for ACL to recently publish the October date and i’ll sure as shit but tix the moment they become available. With vax rates I struggle how outdoor won’t happen by then.

Agreed.  We're nearly to 1/3 of the country vaccinated.  I suspect 25%-30% won't do it.  Pretty sure the remainder will be able to get it by October.