Concerts you are attending

bamachine

1 hour ago, Kennythetiger said:

Hinterland kicks ass.  It's had a line up that good for years.  I've caught the following acts there:

Willie, Sturgill, Childers, Turnpike, Ray LaMontagne, Grace Potter, Shovels & Rope, Lake Street Dive, Hayes Carll, Houndmouth (when Katie was still in the band), Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats, Margo Price, Blackberry Price, and I'm sure a few other damn fine acts.

I don't see myself going this year, though.  I think it's a really well run festival (it's not that far from Des Moines and they have a shuttle service that runs you back and forth from there), and that's a great line up, but I'm getting to be "don't have the stomach for festivals" years old.

It's like an hour from Des Moines, 1.5 hours from Kansas City, and maybe 2 hours from Omaha.  That's where most of the attendees come from, it seems.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

The coolest thing I saw at Hinterland was when Sturgill headlined in '18.  Sound & Fury was still a year out from dropping, but he was touring those songs.  His keyboard player was sick that night, so they did it as a power trio.  Sturgill just jammed the fuck out on guitar to make up for the lack of keys, and it was easily one of the best rock shows I've ever seen.

I was really disappointed on my first listen to Sound & Fury because I was expecting that roaring power trio sound.  I grew to dig the keys and synths, but if you could have bottled that performance, god damn.  I really hope there's a recording of it somewhere.  It was Sound & Fury with no synth.  Just loud-ass snarling angry rock & roll.

• Hook 'Em 1

I texted with my friend who got us those tickets this morning. He says nothing's official, but the rumor is that its going to cancel and we'll be refunded.

To thunderlounge's point, its currently rescheduled for June 12. There is no way in hell we are going to have full arenas by June 12. If they try to do it at half, or a quarter capacity, who with a ticket gets told they can't go?

Plus its the pit for Run the Jewels and Rage Against the Machine, the crowd is a big part of the appeal of going. I hope they just postpone again.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Just notified that my Rage Against the Machine/Run the Jewels show has been rescheduled from June this year to April, 2022.

Also was notified today that a Roger Waters show I completely forgot I had tickets to has been rescheduled to Sept, 2022.

• Like 1

Just notified that my Rage Against the Machine/Run the Jewels show has been rescheduled from June this year to April, 2022.

Also was notified today that a Roger Waters show I completely forgot I had tickets to has been rescheduled to Sept, 2022.

Well shit. But at least now we know.

21 hours ago, tbone_ said:

That’s ambitious shit to play in a tribute band. How was the dude?

they were ok I guess... I don't know the in's and outs of playing instruments and shit, but they sounded fine to me.  Weird looking crew to be together, but it worked for the most part.  I guess my only issue would have been the vocals were a little weak.  

On 4/19/2021 at 3:24 PM, Scraps said:

they were ok I guess... I don't know the in's and outs of playing instruments and shit, but they sounded fine to me.  Weird looking crew to be together, but it worked for the most part.  I guess my only issue would have been the vocals were a little weak.  

LOL.  a hendrix/srv tribute band...and scraps is talking bout the vocals being a little weak.  that's awesome.

8 minutes ago, sidis said:

LOL.  a hendrix/srv tribute band...and scraps is talking bout the vocals being a little weak.  that's awesome.

Guess that means it was pretty good then since the vocals would be the easiest to handle. 

Have never really saw the appeal of tribute bands myself. I won’t avoid them if they are playing somewhere I’m already at, but won’t really go out of my way to see one. Rare exception is I’ll catch Zoso if there isn’t anything better to do that night. They do a really good Zep, and their “Page” guy really has it nailed. I like listening to him play. 

Maybe it’s tributes of bands still touring that I don’t get.

Story time. I’m in Nashville in ‘19 for a Maiden show. There was a semi-private party put on the night before at the Hard Rock. Ok, had passes, no thing. They had hired a Maiden tribute band for the evening. Sure, whatever. Then Steve Harris and Adrian Smith show up, and of course the promoter had tables set aside just in case.

I can’t imagine being a so-so Maiden tribute band and having to play with Steve right in front of you. Talk about pressure. I kinda felt sorry for them for a second. 

5 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Guess that means it was pretty good then since the vocals would be the easiest to handle. 

Have never really saw the appeal of tribute bands myself. I won’t avoid them if they are playing somewhere I’m already at, but won’t really go out of my way to see one. Rare exception is I’ll catch Zoso if there isn’t anything better to do that night. They do a really good Zep, and their “Page” guy really has it nailed. I like listening to him play. 

Maybe it’s tributes of bands still touring that I don’t get.

Story time. I’m in Nashville in ‘19 for a Maiden show. There was a semi-private party put on the night before at the Hard Rock. Ok, had passes, no thing. They had hired a Maiden tribute band for the evening. Sure, whatever. Then Steve Harris and Adrian Smith show up, and of course the promoter had tables set aside just in case.

I can’t imagine being a so-so Maiden tribute band and having to play with Steve right in front of you. Talk about pressure. I kinda felt sorry for them for a second. 

I have it on good authority that Mysterious Ways, Austin's most famous U2 tribute band that used to do weekly sets at Fado on 4th St. was @4th&Five's favorite show of all time.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Yeah Zoso is good.   

The one I really only go out of my way to attend is Badfish.  I am going Friday night to see them for about the 10th time in concert.  They put on a great show.  

Maybe a better way for me to have said that earlier was that I don’t get people going out of their way and getting all spun up over a tribute like they’re the real thing. 

Now a cover band, I can get that. Being a new band you have to start somewhere and show people you can play. Then slip in an original here and there, and build your following.

One cover band example, back from the early-mid 00’s: The Zoo. Which of course is how Arnel got the frontman spot in Journey, etc. 

The ending aside, if you go back and catch some youtube vids of them, they were pretty well rounded and Arnel could impersonate just about anyone pretty well. Not just Steve Perry, but many more. Was kind of wild. 

I can see hitting a bar you like if a good cover band was playing. Good live music is good live music.

I guess for me it really is the whole costume, completely try to impersonate, and people going nuts over them that is the kicker for me. 

Speaking of Zoso earlier, saw them a few years ago and they had some ac/dc tribute from the general area open. Not good. Drums were on time, but bass and guitar players, even vocals on occasion a tick, were just a bit off. Not super off like half a bar, but just sloppy enough that the music was loose.

That reminded me of a show I saw in Norfolk/Portsmouth at The Boat House in ‘02.  Saliva was the headliner, with Audioslave and Theory of a Deadman. 

Theory comes on first and kicks it. Great set from them. Audioslave gets on, with their one fucking “hit” at the time and were fucking terrible. So off beat from each other it was embarrassing to even watch. By the middle of the second song my buddy and I had turned our back to the stage, as did a few others. By the time they were into their 4th song, 95% of the crowd had turned around. And they stayed that way, even when they played that “hit”. 

As soon as they left the stage I walked back a bit to the sound guy and told him I felt sorry for him to be stuck trying to mix that shit. It was bad. I can’t recall seeing a worse band play live in terms of timing and sloppy. It was horrid. 

Saliva kicked ass though, and was a great show. 

21 hours ago, Stringer said:

Black Pumas is still on at Stubb's at the end of May.  We'll see if that sticks.  Haven't seen anything about reduced crowds.

I bought tickets for one of the Black Pumas May 2020 shows at Stubb's.  Am I supposed to be reissued tickets for one of the May 2021 shows?  Haven't heard a peep.  I still have the paper tickets in my ticket drawer at home for the May 2020 show.

I'm in the same boat for the Rolling Stones show.  Also had Sturgill Simpson tickets for the Erwin Center.  Not a word.

Anyone had luck on refunds, replacement tickets, or credits?

10 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

i got tickets to see Arlo Parks in October.  i may see a show before then, but these are the first concert tickets i've purchased in over a year.

Wish I would've known about her Parish show in October.  It's now sold out.  Her album has been an important part of my pandemic soundtrack.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, J-Mart said:

I bought tickets for one of the Black Pumas May 2020 shows at Stubb's.  Am I supposed to be reissued tickets for one of the May 2021 shows?  Haven't heard a peep.  I still have the paper tickets in my ticket drawer at home for the May 2020 show.

I'm in the same boat for the Rolling Stones show.  Also had Sturgill Simpson tickets for the Erwin Center.  Not a word.

Anyone had luck on refunds, replacement tickets, or credits?

I could have sworn I got an update from FrontGate tickets, but I went back to look through my e-mail and didn't find anything.   Must have been a fever dream.

Either way, you can go to the Stubb's site and click on any Black Pumas date.  On the next page, you should have a login button near the top left.  I just went in there and had them resend my tickets for May 29, 2021.  So, for now, I have tickets.

With you on the Stones as well.  It's still open on my Ticketmaster login.  We'll see where that goes...

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

House of Blues in Dallas is my least favorite venue in the history of venues but I think I’m pulling the trigger on the Dayglow concert in September. 

its not great for huge concerts, but half capacity shows there are pretty great.  imo.

His management is stalling. 

stalling...what are you talking about? they are literally one of the earliest bands to commit to big shows starting in July. you seem to know about the touring industry which makes your negative outlook bombs hard to understand. outside of states overruling their plans, how can public announcements with date commitments equal his management stalling?

I'm not sure how many times I have to give you the same info.

I don't give a flying fuck what someone "commits" to. It is wishful thinking and nothing more.

There may be a place or two or three that might have the balls for a crowd of 10k+ that isn't spread out. Maybe 10k in a ball park, ok. Full capacity, no way. Nobody is going to take that chance to become the epicenter of a new, big wave.

Tours that were rescheduled from last summer to this one, not happening. Why? Capacity. You can run a tour and make a profit when you have no idea from one day to another if a venue will be able to host or not.

The only realistic ways a big tour would happen this summer are:

a) New tour and not rescheduled from last year that sells up to a certain capacity and explicitly distances the crowd.

b) New tour where total tickets meet full capacity, but spans multiple nights to keep true capacity per night under whatever restrictions are currently placed on the venue.

c) Rescheduled tour from last year where the new dates span multiple days to get capacity under whatever limit is imposed by the current restrictions of the venues location.

Now, the only one of those that is even somewhat realistic is the first. However you now have another problem. Promoters aren't going to go for that. They aren't in the game to break even. A venue has a price tag, and the available capacity when trying to put it together may not make the ends meet.

You aren't going to ask a band to play 2 or 3 nights for the price of a single night. A very few bands might consider 2 nights, but the reality of it is that to meet most current requirements it would take 3 nights, if not 4. That's 4 nights paying for a venue, 4 nights paying the band (and the openers too), 4 nights of hospitality, local crew, local equipment rentals, so on and so forth. And the money coming in from tickets was for just a single night. So you have 4x the overhead, and zero increase in revenue.

Then you still have the same fucking problem with logistics and the changing landscape of restrictions. They not only vary state to state, but county to county, and city to city. Large shows can't fucking win for shit in a landscape like this. You have to get tons of rooms for the band(s) and crew. Those don't just shit themselves out of nowhere. What do you do when venue X has to call it off? Then what do you do when 40%, 50%, 60%, or more of the venues have to call it off?

What happens if they get called off, but then 5 days before the show they could go on? Too late, tour has done passed it over.

I get everybody wants shows. I want them more than just about, if not, everybody on this board. I hit shows all over the globe, every year, every chance I get. So this isn't something I want to happen, but it is something that is going to happen. No city, venue, or band want to be labeled as "those fuckers who couldn't just wait for it to be safe and caused the next mega spike of the pandemic that set shit back another 6-8 months or more."

Just because someone announces, doesn't mean shit. It's hoping they can, knowing deep down that the likelihood of it happening is slim to none.

37 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

They will keep rescheduling and postponing to avoid giving refunds of money that’s already been spent.

For the most part, yes. Some won’t, and didn’t. But take Live Nation for example. I had great seats to see Sammy in St Louis last summer. Great place to see him. He fucking loves that city and they love him right back. Cancelled. In steps Live Nation with an offer of a full refund or 150% value in credit to spend through the ‘22 season. Fuck it, took the credit. Why not? Money was spent, planned to be, so why not take a little extra when I would be buying tickets anyway.

Some tours it makes sense to reschedule. Others that are your more generic variety would make more sense to just cancel and move forward when able (no new album to support, no special whatever, just your generic summer show.)

But that isn’t up to the band. That’s management getting with tour coordinators and promoters and such for the most part. 

I'm not sure how many times I have to give you the same info.

Well first off, don’t be cunty, you don’t HAVE to give a shit and i’ve yet to accept your omnipotent’ish vibe. You seem to have above average insight into the industry, but that’s it. What would a band like DMB who can sell out pre covid have to lose by putting concert dates out now?

8 hours ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

What would a band like DMB who can sell out pre covid have to lose by putting concert dates out now?

Rescheduling/canceling. 

Look around and you will see several big acts doing exactly that already. More to come.

Selling out pre-covid means nothing, unless you’re trying to make reference to how well of a crowd can be drawn.

Regardless, the above points stand, and aren’t going anywhere. It’s just the way it is. 

They have to have something on the schedule, even when they know there is less than a 5% chance it will happen. Easier to cancel/postpone than pull a tour out of thin air and expect much of it to sell last minute. 

Don't worry assholes, y'all can consider me the sunshine pumper of this thread. Big Venue live music, Major Act tours, and large scale Music Festivals are just over the horizon. The train has left the station, there ain't no stopping the rock-n-roll train. Late summer and fall are gonna be on like donkey kong! Thunderchoad is full of shit. Checks notes:

Hinterland / Bonnaroo / ACL / Outside Lands / Life is Beautiful are a go.

DMB, Avett Brothers & Tyler Childers, Tame Impala, Deftones, Leon Bridges, Megan Thee Stallion, Post Malone, Vampire Weekend, KOL, Foo Fighters, Lizzo, etc all starting to perform the latter half of the summer.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1