Concerts you are attending

bamachine

9 minutes ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

Thought hard about buying tix. AAS just published a review and said the line to get them stretched for blocks in mid day heat. Bummed to have missed it.

Yeah the line to get the tickets sucked. I heard about it just before tickets went on sale at noon on Wednesday, and I just happened to be near downtown so ran down there and got in line. Sun was beating down with no shade but the Mohawk dudes passed out cold waters to folks in line.

The show was great. Played a lot of older tunes from Gimme Fiction and Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. It was packed, but that was expected. It was awesome to see a real live show again. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It looks like my 1st post-pandemic show will be Thievery Corporation next Sunday unless something happens between now and then. I've also go tickets to see Billy Stings in Sept, Testament/Exodus in Nov, and Black Pumas in Dec. All Bay Area shows. 

Seems like events are being added daily at this point. Hard to keep up with them all.  

• Hook 'Em 3

anybody going to this Summerland 2021 tour tomorrow night at Cedar Park Center (Everclear, Hoobastank, Living Colour, Wheatus)?  

Good 90's nostalgia. 

On 7/10/2021 at 9:31 AM, Lobo said:

anybody going to this Summerland 2021 tour tomorrow night at Cedar Park Center (Everclear, Hoobastank, Living Colour, Wheatus)?  

Good 90's nostalgia. 

the son and I went.  was fun, except Everclear had a wireless mic issue that ruined at least one song.  didn't realize alexakis was diagnosed with MS.  Living Colour can still rock and Glover still has the pipes.  set was too short though.  would like to see them in a full concert.  Hoobastank is really early 2000's and don't know their stuff as much but they put on a pretty good show and they have good songs.  son knew their stuff.

wheatus did a good cover of rock n roll damnation.  you can see a video on youtube.

saw the summerland tour with Everclear, Sugar Ray, Lit and Marcy Playground a while back.  at ACL so the sound was great.

cheap(relatively these days) fun.  I can say the sound just sucks in cedar park center.

Well, I guess we're all going to COTA for the Rolling Stones on 20 November?  

Their 2006/2007? (can't remember) show at Zilker was actually really awesome and I'm not a big Stones fan.  

Not sure if I wanna pony up that kinda cash, but one thing is for sure---this will be their last concert ever in Austin.  Where Bob Wills is still the King.  

i got a refund in an effort to get ticketmaster to go out of business, clearly that was never going to happen. purchased them again today. can't imagine a worse venue to see them at but i'm reluctanly looking forward to this giant clusterfuck. 

Just spent 5 days at Floydest 21 in Floyd, Va.  Great bluegrass, country, rock, a heavy dose of grateful dead covers, and dead like musical sets, and an assortment other funky musical offerings from literally all over the country, and the world.

Avett brothers, Band of Heathens, Jimmy Strings, Old Crow medicine show, Keller Williams, Chupacabra, GOTE, Jerry Harrison and Adrian Beleu (Talking Heads) performing the entire Remain In Light album, (now touring under the name Turkuaz), Leftover Salmon (Bluegrass version of T-Rex  Bang a Gong was not to be missed), and at least a dozen other bands performing 2-4 times over the course of the week.  Band members sitting in with each other all week at jam sessions, small venues with 50-200 people up to the main stage with 10-12k folks.  1- 2 hour sets all going on from 10 in the morning till about 2:00 am every day at 2 main stages, a smaller mid size stage and 3-5 other much smaller stages. Ya need a spreadsheet to make sure you see who you want, and get to the show as soon as the one you're watching ends.  Things get foggy as you run thru the day drinking, smoking, and doing other things as night falls, and the light shows get good.  

Saw Downtown Abbey and the echoes. Tight band whose pretty cute, female leader singer sung just about the entire Dark side of the moon album including the Great Gig in The Sky, and fucking nailed every note like a diva. Then saw the same band later in the week doing a whole set of Dead cover tunes, then a set with all their original stuff.

Jimmy Billy Strings, 27 year old guitar player who you would have sworn was 70 based on his depth of musical emotion, and voice playing bluegrass, Dead, and some country 5 guys all on stringed instruments with no drummer, in a circa 1970's Dead concert arrangement complete with a trippy light show. Most amazing musical talent of the 5 days.

Old Crow medicine show a Nashville act that leans to country, but crushes bluegrass, and the Beastie Boys (Fight for your Right to Party) easily the best show for their dynamic stage presence, and lead singer/banjo/ fiddle player who must love coke, cause it's mentioned  in at least 6 of the tunes they destroyed the crowd with. Several times the entire band, base fiddle and all chased each other around the stage belting out great raucous sounds.

You're watching a small show, and the drummer and lead guitarist of Band of Heathens might be standing next to you enjoying the same band who might be folks from Floyd Va.  who can play world class bluegrass.  It's just a laid back, chill week of amazing music, food, and great times.

They do this right. 80's during the days, and down into the 50's at night for great hammock sleeping in the mountains of SW Va.  Never seen even a hint of any kind of strife the 3 years we've gone, no arrests, no fights, no brawls, not an unkind word spoken by staff or festival goers. The staff (500 or so folks) are the chillest people on the planet, and set the stage for nothing but fun in the sun, and under the moon, and stars every day.  Think 5 days with 60k rock, bluegrass, and country music fans, families with toddlers, 90 year old Dead head, hippy freaks, and every type in between.

All ready game planning for next year.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

Put the kids to bed and stepped outside to take out the trash and just realized it's Gary Clark, Jr. at Blues on the Green.  Clear night with manageable humidity so I can hear him front my front porch in South Austin just fine.  I'm all outta beer from entertaining this weekend.  What's an app that can get me a sixer here immediately?  A little taste of normal Austin live music, dig it.  

Hella Mega Tour tonight in Arlington!
Green Day
Weezer
Fall Out Boy
The Interrupters

Caught this show in Atlanta tonight. Merch lines were insane but I’m not a big concert merch guy.

Missed Interrupters (pouring rain), Weezer was great and really glad to be there, Fall Out Boy is everything that is wrong with music but they sounded great and the crowd was loving them. Green Day kicked ass (and said we were a better crowd than Dallas so suck it).

It was good to be out with a big crowd again. Fun times.