Concerts you are attending

bamachine

Shows I saw at BottleRock, by day

Friday: Polo G (meh), G-Eazy (great performance)

Saturday: Warren G (great), Reignwolf (definitely want to see them again), North Mississippi Allstars (great), Dominic Fike (caught his last two songs while waiting for the next act, interesting and entertaining), Run The Jewels (will try to see them when they tour with Rage Against the Machine next year), Guns N’ Roses (first time seeing them live, Slash is amazing, Duff singing I Wanna Be Your Your Dog was cool, Axl looks like Michael Myers doing an imitation of Axl).

Sunday: Jimmy Eat World, Black Pumas (would see again), Cage the Elephant (great), Foo Fighters (fucking awesome).

Overall, it was a well-run festival with a wide-range of performers (we didn’t see Miley Cyrus or Meg Thee Stallion). Food was decent and lines for booze were short. Getting in and out wasn’t bad. No wait on Friday at 5 (probably because Chris Stapleton cancelled earlier in the day and people stayed away). Saturday afternoon was the worst with a 30 minute wait to get in at 2:15. There was no wait the next day at the same time.

We will definitely go back. May try VIP next time as it is easier to move between the two main stages if there is a schedule conflict.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Hoobastank and Living Colour making another pass through Austin on the 20th.  

I've never heard of the venue, Come And Take It on East Riverside.  Supposedly holds 800 people.  Hope I don't get Covid there.  

So, what was up with a fucking 30 minute intermission at the Primus show? They played a 10 song set and then a huge break before playing the Rush set. Even the techs had finished making adjustments after about 5 minutes and then nothing except an annoying song on repeat.  My kid and I bailed. I don't give a shit about Rush and at least we saw a pretty dang good, if short, Primus set.

yeah Glass Animals was fucking AWESOME, had no idea the guy spent his childhood in Texas...um that venue has no bad spots, SUPER intimate, fantastic for a band like this. man i love this group 🤘 what a great evening!

ETA man, my old man is such a good sport, he lasted as long as he could in our seats and then went to the back to chill out, told me where to meet him... the young couple next to me 'adopted me'...got extra drinks for me and then moved me way down the row during the encore so i could basically have center stage view. like, i'm an old gal, these kids thought i was the shit out there tonight 😄 umm i kind of like to dance at concerts 😁 they all wanted to hug me at the end, i just thanked all the young people for getting vaccinated haha

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 2

We saw Outlaw Festival in Philly. I didn't realize it was a rotating lineup, so we didn't get Nathaniel Rateliff, Lucinda Williams or Ryan Bingham. But we did have Sturgill and of course Willie. Heard some of Government Mule as we walked in.

Be advised, Sturgill is just doing around an hour acoustic bluegrass. It was terrific of course, but there are no rocking-out moments like his previous shows. No material off the Sound & Fury album, which is what his 2020 tour was supposed to be. Willie as usual put on a great show even at age 87. You can still hear his voice and Trigger play, plus his personality comes through as well.

On 9/12/2021 at 11:16 PM, mchookem said:

that venue has no bad spots,

I really want to get tickets for that Adirondack chairs section. That would be perfect.

Also, I noticed when leaving that you can't get tickets, you could just tailgate in that parking garage and have a perfect view of the stage.

Edited by CooterBrown

On 9/12/2021 at 11:16 PM, mchookem said:

yeah Glass Animals was fucking AWESOME, had no idea the guy spent his childhood in Texas...um that venue has no bad spots, SUPER intimate, fantastic for a band like this. man i love this group 🤘 what a great evening!

ETA man, my old man is such a good sport, he lasted as long as he could in our seats and then went to the back to chill out, told me where to meet him... the young couple next to me 'adopted me'...got extra drinks for me and then moved me way down the row during the encore so i could basically have center stage view. like, i'm an old gal, these kids thought i was the shit out there tonight 😄 umm i kind of like to dance at concerts 😁 they all wanted to hug me at the end, i just thanked all the young people for getting vaccinated haha

I love GA, have been following them since Zaba came out.  They were awesome at ACL, loved their show at ACL Live when it got moved from Stubbs, and Sunday was excellent as well.  

And Space Ghost is about a ‘friend’ of his from his Texas days who went onto to commit some apparently heinous crimes and is one of my favorites off Dreamland.  

Venue is indeed excellent, and we all thought those Adirondack chairs were the place to be as well.  Only bad views there would be the back ‘wings’ of the seated section toward the far corners.  We were in 105 row W and it was perfect.  Booze prices were outrageous, but guess that’s the norm now and we got hammered. 

• Like 1

Caught Lake Street Dive at a winery near Seattle last night- outdoor show, rain beforehand, but a really great night.

They played quite a bit from their new release, and said that this was the start of their autumn tour. They've mixed up their lineup (new keyboard and guitar), which really added quite a bit to their music.

On 9/17/2021 at 4:24 PM, dcar00 said:

Clapton on Wed.  setlist is what it is at this point.  He's playin the blues and he can still do it pretty damn well.  Probably the last time I see him.   the 2013 setlist was awesome.

20210915_210000.thumb.jpg.d74a7905b553b814451245459073821e.jpg

Saw him in FW the Monday before. I dug the set list of blues. He's still good. Only complaint was the encore. Paul Carrack singing and not Clapton, WTF?

Jimmy Vaugh playing Texas Flood to open was nice too!

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

Saw him in FW the Monday before. I dug the set list of blues. He's still good. Only complaint was the encore. Paul Carrack singing and not Clapton, WTF?

Jimmy Vaugh playing Texas Flood to open was nice too!

yeah he did that Joe Cocker song to close the 2013 setlist at Erwin Center also.  He likes it because it lends to everyone getting a chance to solo and he can just focus on guitar playing.  He's never really liked singing/playing anything but pure blues IMO but knew he had to do commercial stuff to truly make money.  Got to Get Better in a Little While is a very very underrated song.

I wish he'd just add Cocaine to the encore and then play High Time We Went.

My only real complaint is I have seen him 3 times and every time I've gotten acoustic Layla.  Its kinda cool but it ain't electric Layla.  his 3 most famous songs are Cocaine, Layla and I Shot the Sheriff.  at least play all those and electric.

That said, it was amazing to see a master playing the blues at 76 and he's playing limited dates in the US so was very lucky one was in Austin.

11 hours ago, Bigpoppapump said:

It's been the metal/punk venue for a few years now.

Cool venue actually. Good sound.  Too old to stick around for living colour.but enjoyed rest of show.  Got my sealegs for ACL next month 

On 9/14/2021 at 6:35 PM, Grandioso said:

Heartless Bastards 10/07 here in Houston. So pumped. Erika Wennerstrom rocks on the level of Chrissy Hynde or Karen O.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used to watch the original Heartless Bastards play in front of half a dozen people tops.  Erika would talk to you after the show and hang out.  Their first album was fire and I really liked them better than the mercenary band she plays with now.  Just not the same weirdo vibe.  She has a great voice and still writes great songs, just liked the oddball look and feel.    

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the St Vincent taping last night.  She is so great live.  Just an incredible performer.  I'm not a huge fan of her new album (find it kind of boring), but the live setting added a lot of juice to it and I enjoyed those songs a lot more than I thought I would.  Her old stuff still shreds.  

Decided to go again tonight with a buddy.  Want to see the show without all of the taping accoutrement. 

Saw Jeff Tweedy solo last weekend. He opened a new venue in Brooklyn that holds about 400 people. Really nice, low key show. 

I suddenly have a bunch of shows coming up. Waxahatchee on Monday, a couple of LCD Soundsystem shows in December (they are doing a random 20 night stand), then Mitski, Snail Mail, Big Thief and Porches in the Spring. 

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Saw Jeff Tweedy solo last weekend. He opened a new venue in Brooklyn that holds about 400 people. Really nice, low key show. 

I suddenly have a bunch of shows coming up. Waxahatchee on Monday, a couple of LCD Soundsystem shows in December (they are doing a random 20 night stand), then Mitski, Snail Mail, Big Thief and Porches in the Spring. 

Jealous

5 hours ago, nolongerU2horn said:

George/Willie AMEX presale happening now. They added a 2nd show for Saturday

I bought VIP tickets this morning for my parents as this is their dream concert. The last time they saw Willie person was at Armadillo World Headquarters in the early 70s.

Then, I said fuck it and bought two more so my youngest sister and I can attend the show with them. Figured since they’re in their late 70s/early 80s they’ll need help getting there and navigating the venue. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I'll be seeing Twenty One Pilots on Friday, and Billy Joel on Saturday, at COTA.

Last (and only) time I saw Billy Joel was during the tour for Stormfront in 1990, so I'll get to see if the intervening 30+ years have been as kind to him as they have to me. :)

So not a big concert-goer, but wanted to get my mom and us some tickets to go see the Rolling Stones. She has mobility and stamina issues. She can walk, but not long distances.

So I emailed them about handicapped accessible seating -- they want $350 per seat. Ok, that's out of the question given that there are three of us. Figured we could just rough it with lawn seats and she can sit in her walker or wheelchair. Went to go buy them yesterday and realized that we need parking too. The cheapest parking is $30... in Bastrop. Literally. They shuttle you in. The closest lots to the venue are $200.

Got so pissed off at it, said screw it.