Concerts you are attending

bamachine

Went to Telluride Bluegrass Festival to really see Sturgill.  Was my first time on the grounds and was a very intimate but hot setting on Sunday.  The wife and I set up camp around 2 PM and really just sat in our chairs enjoying the crowd and music.  I'm not a huge Bluegrass fan so it was more about soaking in the setting.  Avery kept us well hydrated and the food lines were rather short and good.

It was interesting to watch the crowd change as Sturgill's set approached.  Most families left, was late maybe 9:15 and getting cold.  Many of the "festivarians" wandered off as they were more about the Bluegrass.  As soon as he stepped on stage, the wife and I wandered up to the stage and the entire feel changed.  He opened with Welcome to Earth and moved into The Promise and he was on point.  Past that it became difficult at times to determine which song he was in as he and the band just jammed for a good 30 minutes each song and the energy in the little mountain town was insane.  Guy really knows the way around his guitar.

He did a great job of pausing inbetween sets and getting the crowd going, slowed it down at times only to build it back up.

Was definitely one of the best concerts I've attended.

By way of follow up, you guys who are seeing the Pixies/Weezer tour are in for a treat.  Great sets with no lulls from both acts.  They were both shorter sets than I'd like (Pixies 1hr, Weezer 1.5) but the up side was they got going and never let up.  Weezer's whole stage production was really cool as well.  Took you through their career visually.  I won't spoiler it, but I thought it was pretty clever low-fi cool in the true 80s/90s alt rock tradition.

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2018 at 7:50 PM, Greg Davis Apologist said:

Saw Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie in The Woodlands last night. Manson on made it through five songs before he quit. Not sure if he couldn't take the heat or he's just in horrible shape. Probably a combination of both. 

I've never seen Rob Zombie but he put on a heck of a show.

Rob is a health nut.

Saw Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie in The Woodlands last night. Manson on made it through five songs before he quit. Not sure if he couldn't take the heat or he's just in horrible shape. Probably a combination of both. 
I've never seen Rob Zombie but he put on a heck of a show.

Says it was food poisoning

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Video-shows-Marilyn-Manson-collapse-during-13168466.php

18 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Saw that. I call bullshit. I talked to a girl this weekend who saw him in Dallas a couple days before and she said he looked like shit. Pretty much what I've read and heard over the past year. 

Dude is just out of shape.

On 8/20/2018 at 12:43 PM, 4th&Five said:

Adding these 2 to my list. Haven’t seen REK in way too long. 

I saw Robert Earl Keen last night in Santa Fe and he sounded as good or better than ever. His band was fantastic, especially the dude on the mandolin. Concert was at the Santa Fe Opera building and the sound was absolutely amazing...I hope they continue to use that venue for touring acts. It'd be well worth a drive for anyone in west Texas. Flatlanders opened and they also sounded great. They played a short set and then joined REK for his encore, including a tremendous version of West Texas Waltz. 

Edited by Chopper

Saw Evanescence and Lindsey Stirling this past weekend in The Woodlands. Wifey bought the tix. Pretty good show.

Lindsey needs to add to her music or she wont last long. Dancing violinist will start to get old unless she starts getting some vocals involved.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

heading out to Tab Benoit at Sam's Burger Joint in SA in a couple hours. i highly recommend. seen his several times and always great. not just blues, but shreddin cajun blues. if you are bored on a Wednesday night head out there. he will be at the Mohawk in Austin Friday night.

• 2 weeks later...