Charles Krauthammer is dying

Gil Bang

I have been uncharacteristically silent these past ten months. I had thought that silence would soon be coming to an end, but I’m afraid I must tell you now that fate has decided on a different course for me.

In August of last year, I underwent surgery to remove a cancerous tumor in my abdomen. That operation was thought to have been a success, but it caused a cascade of secondary complications — which I have been fighting in hospital ever since. It was a long and hard fight with many setbacks, but I was steadily, if slowly, overcoming each obstacle along the way and gradually making my way back to health.

However, recent tests have revealed that the cancer has returned. There was no sign of it as recently as a month ago, which means it is aggressive and spreading rapidly. My doctors tell me their best estimate is that I have only a few weeks left to live. This is the final verdict. My fight is over.

I wish to thank my doctors and caregivers, whose efforts have been magnificent. My dear friends, who have given me a lifetime of memories and whose support has sustained me through these difficult months. And all of my partners at The Washington Post, Fox News, and Crown Publishing.

Lastly, I thank my colleagues, my readers, and my viewers, who have made my career possible and given consequence to my life’s work. I believe that the pursuit of truth and right ideas through honest debate and rigorous argument is a noble undertaking. I am grateful to have played a small role in the conversations that have helped guide this extraordinary nation’s destiny.

I leave this life with no regrets. It was a wonderful life — full and complete with the great loves and great endeavors that make it worth living. I am sad to leave, but I leave with the knowledge that I lived the life that I intended.

3 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Terrible news.  He was a great contributor to our public dialogue.

Indeed.  Didn't always agree with him (but often did), but he discussed ideas.  That's something we need, and something he provided.

I wish him peace.

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Rest in peace. In a time of partisan flame throwers, he was a true thinker who argued his positions logically and respectfully. We need more of that. A true loss.

He was great on the panel back in the day.  Hadn't watched Fox in years.  

He made the best of his situation by using his brain to keep going in life that had taken much of his physical ability.  RIP

I used to read his articles in Time religiously.  Sometimes I agreed, sometimes I didn't, but in every article I found something thought-provoking and well articulated.

We need more journalists like him.

I hope he went peacefully.

Echoing what others have said. I didn’t always agree with him but he always provided logical reasoning for his positions.  We need more of that, especially in cable news today.  

RIP

Edited by SDG

My dad is a conservative and Charles was his favorite so I grew up with him. I grew up a republican and still hold many conservative views. I’m a Democrat now but probably wouldn’t be if more republicans/conservatives were like Charles. He put genuine thought into his positions and didn’t speak in 140 characters or less.

1 minute ago, Cacti said:

Not even when he called Trump a "rodeo clown"?

Lol, maybe there were some exceptions. He'd been chapping my hide since I started reading newspapers about 30-odd years ago, so I kinda tuned him out. But he never seemed like it was about anything other than his beliefs. He didn't wait to see which way the wind was blowing before he spoke out.

I’ve spent some more time reflecting about his thoughts this evening. He played a big part in leading me down the wrong path on major issues such as the Iraq war. But, before my time, he realized that our refusal to deal with mental illness would reap harm on society and result in a ballooning homeless population. His Harvard medical school background likely played a role in this.

He went against many conservatives in his opposition of the tea party in some aspects. Later he widely criticized trump on more issues than I can count. Although I would never vote for a person with his views, we would be so much better off if our politicians had an ounce of the intellectual honesty of this man. In a world of talking points, he managed to survive on original thought.

• Like 2