Nancy Pelosi is a badass MF and I want her to be Speaker

Hugo Stiglitz

21 minutes ago, suddenly shaggy said:

False again. As I clearly said in my second sentence, I saw it, but gave you the benefit of the doubt that you weren't understanding the nuance of their positions. Shockingly, you aren't such an aggressive dick about the importance of reading comprehension when it applies to you. 

Strawmen and ad hominem. Lame and boring

On 8/22/2019 at 9:32 AM, GW Hayduke said:

It seems that every time trump shits his pants in front of the world, folks come in here and blame Pelosi. 

Amen to that.

Imo, those are the some of the most politically clueless people on earth. Same with those criticizing her for not leading an impeachment brigade. 

16 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Sounds a lot like, it's not a lie if you believe it.

The fact is she's been in Congress for over 30 years, which makes her part of the problem, not the solution...she's Mitch McConnell in a dress.  She should follow the lead of the younger members of Congress who have a better read on the pulse of the new generation...in other words, anger.  

She's too worried about what the money people think, and how she can stay in power.  Period.  

She can be removed as speaker by her caucus at any time.

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

She can be removed as speaker by her caucus at any time.

If your point is that the Dem establishment is a bunch of old, rich cowards who care more about themselves than the American people, then I couldn't agree more.

Another consideration on the timing of all this is giving the Dem presidential candidates the oxygen needed to build campaign momentum before things really heat up next year and Trump failures get lit up directly and relentlessly.  Having active impeachment proceedings on blast next Spring into Summer could actually buttress the final candidates/nominee heading into the Fall.  If formal impeachment were launched now, it would heavily distract from these essential formative months for individual candidate campaigns in the field.  Let the public better sort out who the final top 1 or 2 are, hear them, understand them, and get behind them, then put Trump in the chute.

I can see a real path to success based on how this is progressing, and don't mind if anyone thinks that's just spin.  2020.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a House vote tomorrow that should lend some clarity.  It's kind of fruitless to get bogged down in the semantics right now.  Just realize it's too soon - Pelosi, Nadler et. al. know they need Trump financials which realistically won't be available until November at the earliest.  It would make sense for trolls and Russian spawned disinformation to sow American discord over House not impeaching already - before they get to the Trump/Russia financials, and some social media observers familiar with Russian disinformation have taken notice of this activity.

If the Deutsche Bank/Mazars documents demonstrate Trump to be a career Russian money launderer, bank fraudster and tax cheat, then getting through all the bellyaching right now will have been well beyond worth it.  Top House counsel Doug Letter has also brought on Daniel Goldman (former SDNY deputy chief of organized-crime unit) and Daniel Noble (former SDNY co-chief of the complex frauds and cybercrime unit) to break down Trump's financials when they receive them.  They will know how to analyze it and break it down.

Until then, Dems have to somehow slow the roll in the face of mass Trump corruption in broad daylight.  Everyone should be asking where the fuck are the Republicans ?  This is mass public corruption in the open and they are AWOL.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

There's a House vote tomorrow that should lend some clarity.  It's kind of fruitless to get bogged down in the semantics right now.  Just realize it's too soon - Pelosi, Nadler et. al. know they need Trump financials which realistically won't be available until November at the earliest.  It would make sense for trolls and Russian spawned disinformation to sow American discord over House not impeaching already - before they get to the Trump/Russia financials, and some social media observers familiar with Russian disinformation have taken notice of this activity.

If the Deutsche Bank/Mazars documents demonstrate Trump to be a career Russian money launderer, bank fraudster and tax cheat, then getting through all the bellyaching right now will have been well beyond worth it.  Top House counsel Doug Letter has also brought on Daniel Goldman (former SDNY deputy chief of organized-crime unit) and Daniel Noble (former SDNY co-chief of the complex frauds and cybercrime unit) to break down Trump's financials when they receive them.  They will know how to analyze it and break it down.

Until then, Dems have to somehow slow the roll in the face of mass Trump corruption in broad daylight.  Everyone should be asking where the fuck are the Republicans ?  This is mass public corruption in the open and they are AWOL.  

tumblr_n4ubivzRmB1ssnqqgo1_400.gif

We could literally have live video footage of Trump murdering a nice family touring the White House and Pelosi would say, “We need to get the financial documents to determine the motive before going forward with impeachment.  We need to make sure the case is air tight.”   

And people here would still defend her.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

We could literally have live video footage of Trump murdering a nice family touring the White House and Pelosi would say, “We need to get the financial documents to determine the motive before going forward with impeachment.  We need to make sure the case is air tight.”   

And people here would still defend her.

And you still wouldn't have the votes.

28 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

For the last time...it's not about the GODDAMN congressional votes.  It's about continually, and vocally exposing the GOP for the corrupt pieces of shit they are for the entire electorate to see.  Believe it or not, the vast majority of Americans don't spend time reading political blogs, commenting on message boards or any other wonky activity.  They get headlines and 30 second soundbites.

Why is this so fucking hard to understand?  

PS - not directed at you personally DD, but the line of thinking in general

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

For the last time...it's not about the GODDAMN congressional votes.  It's about continually, and vocally exposing the GOP for the corrupt pieces of shit they are for the entire electorate to see.  Believe it or not, the vast majority of Americans don't spend time reading political blogs, commenting on message boards or any other wonky activity.  They get headlines and 30 second soundbites.

Then it's up to Jerry Nadler and individual members. Leadership is not going to do this because they disagree with it politically.

For now.

Edited by David Dennison

41 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The argument that it shouldn't be done because Democrats in the House would vote against impeachment after a month or more of public impeachment hearings is even dumber than the argument that it shouldn't be done because impeachment should be bipartisan.

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

The argument that it shouldn't be done because Democrats in the House would vote against impeachment after a month or more of public impeachment hearings is even dumber than the argument that it shouldn't be done because impeachment should be bipartisan.

A failed impeachment vote on the House floor doesn't help Democrats.

But there wouldn't be a vote.

So there would be hearings and no vote.

Cool.

Edited by David Dennison

Just now, David Dennison said:

A failed impeachment vote on the House floor doesn't help Democrats.

But there wouldn't be a vote.

So there would be hearings and no vote.

Cool.

You know that there's no need for any Surly poster to adopt this view-from-nowhere perspective. That's for the TV journalists of the world.

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's also the view of the Speaker of the House and House leadership.

That's kind of important.

This circular arguing is tiresome.  We are well aware that its leadership's view. That's exactly what we're criticizing them for, having a shitty view on this vital issue.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Of course I am. She disagrees with us. She's opposed to impeaching Donald Trump. She's made that perfectly clear.

No, you seem to also disagree with us.  

We don't need you telling us she doesn't agree.  We can see by her lack of action that she doesn't agree...that's why we're here bitching.

She's a feckless Speaker who likes to "lead" from behind. Period.

1 minute ago, DixonHur said:

No, you seem to also disagree with us.  

We don't need you telling us she doesn't agree.  We can see by her lack of action that she doesn't agree...that's why we're here bitching.

She's a feckless Speaker who likes to "lead" from behind. Period.

I support impeachment.

But why would Nancy Pelosi lead on an issue she disagrees with? Why would you even expect her to?

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I support impeachment.

But why would Nancy Pelosi lead on an issue she disagrees with? Why would you even expect her to?

Just between you and me...I don't think she reads posts on Surly

And by-the-by....most of us aren't only talking about impeachment...we're talking about perception of doing something.  Even if that's just angry soundbites for evening news.

Edited by DixonHur

7 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

The vast majority of Americans also have an attention span of about 2 weeks.  Adjust your 'public outrage fatigue' timeline accordingly.  When the impeachment push happens, it needs to be an avalanche over an uninterrupted period of time that carries greater emotional weight in the minds of the public, i.e. in the 6 month run-up to election time.  Otherwise a pre-mature sprint leads to a bonk.  This is as much about understanding idiosyncratic patterns and tendencies of human behavior in getting the desired end result as it is about leadership and doing what's right.  House IS doing the work.  I'd be curious to see how an outfit like Cambridge Analytica would advise high paying clients on timing impeachment under these circumstances with an eye on how to best jettison Trump and punish a complicit Senate.  I bet they'd caution House blowing its wad too soon.

And yesterday Pelosi did level a barrel on the dereliction of Moscow Mitch:

2 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

The vast majority of Americans also have an attention span of about 2 weeks.  Adjust your 'public outrage fatigue' timeline accordingly.  When the impeachment push happens, it needs to be an avalanche over an uninterrupted period of time that carries greater emotional weight in the minds of the public, i.e. in the 6 month run-up to election time.  Otherwise a pre-mature sprint leads to a bonk.  This is as much about understanding idiosyncratic patterns and tendencies of human behavior in getting the desired end result as it is about leadership and doing what's right.  House IS doing the work.  I'd be curious to see how an outfit like Cambridge Analytica would advise high paying clients on timing impeachment under these circumstances with an eye on how to best jettison Trump and punish a complicit Senate.  I bet they'd caution House blowing its wad too soon.

And yesterday Pelosi did level a barrel on the dereliction of Moscow Mitch:

The key phrase was...

Pressed on congressional response on gun violence, Speaker Pelosi says...

Also, attention span fatigue is only an issue when you're talking about 1 or maybe a couple of things...Trump provides new material on a daily basis

Edited by DixonHur

20 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

So the leadership's midterm strategy is to tell the base that they're impeaching Trump while telling moderates that they're not, which is the perfect encapsulation of Democratic politics.

VVV

19 hours ago, triplehorn said:

There's a House vote tomorrow that should lend some clarity.  It's kind of fruitless to get bogged down in the semantics right now.  Just realize it's too soon - Pelosi, Nadler et. al. know they need Trump financials which realistically won't be available until November at the earliest.

VVV

Nadler reads the surl. lol

Edited by triplehorn
to the courts !

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

And THIS:

As above, the measure of 'incoherence' used for harping is trying to pin down the difference between definitions of an impeachment 'inquiry' versus 'investigation' or some other semantic term, i.e. more obsessive media/pundit navel gazing.  fuckin a people.

12 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

As above, the measure of 'incoherence' used for harping is trying to pin down the difference between definitions of an impeachment 'inquiry' versus 'investigation' or some other semantic term, i.e. more obsessive media/pundit navel gazing.  fuckin a people.

Yeah, Nancy's such a great leader that her team can't even get on the same page regarding the nomenclature they want to use.  

This isn't oopsy I used the wrong word once...this has been happening for a while and yet they still can't all use the same terminology.  That stinks of poor leadership.

I hate McConnell, but I respect his game.  That guy keeps his caucus in lock step hitting the same talking points.  That's what we want to see from Nancy.

Forget the impeachment part for a while...name a coordinated effort from the House Dems to rebuke anything Trump has done?  

Edit:

Aside from the rogue "Squad" that Nancy admonished for actually doing their jobs.

Edited by DixonHur

24 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Yeah, Nancy's such a great leader that her team can't even get on the same page regarding the nomenclature they want to use.  

This isn't oopsy I used the wrong word once...this has been happening for a while and yet they still can't all use the same terminology.  That stinks of poor leadership.

I hate McConnell, but I respect his game.  That guy keeps his caucus in lock step hitting the same talking points.  That's what we want to see from Nancy.

Forget the impeachment part for a while...name a coordinated effort from the House Dems to rebuke anything Trump has done?  

Edit:

Aside from the rogue "Squad" that Nancy admonished for actually doing their jobs.

Remind me what are Mitch's talking points on Trump emoluments violations and self dealing, obstruction of justice, and conspiracy to commit a campaign finance felony ?

If the lock-step is "abject failure to say anything at all", then yeah, respect ! 

----> More people need to adhere to the axiom "watch what they DO, not what they SAY."   House Dems have been DOING - following their established plan for impeachment - since early spring after getting sworn in last January.

Edited by triplehorn

5 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Remind me what are Mitch's talking points on Trump emoluments violations and self dealing, obstruction of justice, and conspiracy to commit a campaign finance felony ?

If the lock-step is "abject failure to say anything at all", then yeah, respect ! 

Yes, that is EXACTLY what they should do if the Dems aren't pushing the issue.  Why would you try to score an own goal?  

8 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

---> More people need to adhere to the axiom "watch what they DO, not what they SAY."   House Dems have been DOING - following their established plan for impeachment - since early spring after getting sworn in last January.

I agree, but have you met the American public?  Especially in flyover territory like where I live in rural Kentucky?