Colonial Williamsburg/DC Recs

El Moco

Taking the family for a vacation to Colonial Williamsburg this June.  Planning to hit up as many historical sites such as Jamestown, Yorktown, Monticello, Mount Vernon, Antietam Battlefield, etc.  What other historical sites in the area are must visits and what good grub spots should we eat at? 

Fat Canary in Williamsburg for dinner.  Do a ghost tour of colonial Williamsburg, the kiddies will enjoy it.

Antietam ?  might as well do Gettysburg, it's a great national park and well developed facilities and Gettysburg has some great eats in town. Spend a night.  4 hour drive west.  I'd do Gettysburg over Antietam, it's a much much larger national site.  Yorktown is not the site I think it should be. It's badly in need of an update.  You won't be missing anything unfortunately.

Make sure to visit at least one of the plantations on the James (Shirley, Berkeley, Westover). All less than about 45 minuted from Williamsburg. Eat at Upper Shirley vineyards along the plantation route. Really really good food, and the wines are pretty decent.

Va. museum in Richmond 45 minutes west may still have the Terra Cotta army exhibit. cool as shit..  And boat loads of great eats in Richmond.  Richmond has boat loads of historical stuff, Civil war heavy for sure.

More to follow.......

13 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Va. museum in Richmond 45 minutes west may still have the Terra Cotta army exhibit. cool as shit.. 

I think they are gone as of last week, but I'm not positive. I should probably Google it.

I'd check out Le Yaca in Williamsburg too for food. Phenomenal place.

You are only an hour from the ocean as well, so you may want to look at stuff on the Southside like First Landing. Makes the Civil War stuff seem downright modern.