The Lebron destination thread

Longboard Horn

12 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Reading the tea leaves around the Cavs over the last 24 hours, I will be floored if Lebron re-ups.  Lots of speculation that Lebron to LA is a done deal.

Well, if he re-ups, he's definitely not staying in Cleveland. The only reason he'd opt in is to help facilitate a trade. The Cavs only hope is that he becomes a free agent in a few days.

KD moving to GS moved the goalposts for Lebron.

A couple years ago, Lebron told SI that he's chasing the "ghost" of MJ (read: 6 chips).  Well, now that KD jumped on the bandwagon, I'm sure Lebron can see the NBA landscape as well as the rest of us, which is that no team other than GS is winning the title next season.  So he really doesn't talk about titles anymore; instead, he said his family is going to be the driving factor.  But I also think that he truly wants to be a global icon and he wants Uninterrupted and Springhill to blow up and LA offers a better opportunity for that to happen than lil ole Cleveland.

Whatever happens, it's been a great run and 2016 will always be special, but it'll always feel like Lebron should have won more titles both in Cleveland and Miami.  Unfortunately, incompetent front offices, bad coaching, weak culture, his own coyness and refusal to commit long-term to Cleveland during his first stint in NE Ohio, and bad luck (Love's injury in 2015, the cap bump of 2016 that allowed KD to go west) prevented that.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Reading the tea leaves around the Cavs over the last 24 hours, I will be floored if Lebron re-ups.  Lots of speculation that Lebron to LA is a done deal.

i don't see PG13 as a game changer in the league, sort of overrated and undeserving of the hype. Still need a real team to beat GS. 

btw, will IT be with the lakers?

4 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

i don't see PG13 as a game changer in the league, sort of overrated and undeserving of the hype. Still need a real team to beat GS. 

btw, will IT be with the lakers?

Can't see IT with the team if Lebron is.  I doubt any team is going to give IT any more than the MLE in any case.

As for PG13, he absolutely can be the 2nd best player on a championship team.  He's perfect for this era of pace and space and 2-way players.  Sort of a better shooting Pippen.

5 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Can't see IT with the team if Lebron is.  I doubt any team is going to give IT any more than the MLE in any case.

As for PG13, he absolutely can be the 2nd best player on a championship team.  He's perfect for this era of pace and space and 2-way players.  Sort of a better shooting Pippen.

Meh, 3 through 5 better be fucking great if PG is going to be your 2nd best guy.  I think there is 2 players, maybe 3, where this is true.... and Lebron is one of them so it'll be a good place for him.  Still don't think it gets the Lakers past the top 2 in the West (especially if they're going to have to give up Randle or another piece), but it does make the Lakers matter again.  They'll be must watch TV if Lebron goes there.... That written, still surprised he wants to go there.  He'll never be Kobe in their eyes.  He'll never be Magic or KAJ or Shaq.  They'll be happy to have him and they're Lakers fans so they'll be front running like muther fuckers but in their franchise pantheon, he'll be Wilt like.....

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Meh, 3 through 5 better be fucking great if PG is going to be your 2nd best guy.  I think there is 2 players, maybe 3, where this is true.... and Lebron is one of them so it'll be a good place for him.  Still don't think it gets the Lakers past the top 2 in the West (especially if they're going to have to give up Randle or another piece), but it does make the Lakers matter again.  They'll be must watch TV if Lebron goes there.... That written, still surprised he wants to go there.  He'll never be Kobe in their eyes.  He'll never be Magic or KAJ or Shaq.  They'll be happy to have him and they're Lakers fans so they'll be front running like muther fuckers but in their franchise pantheon, he'll be Wilt like.....

No doubt about that, but surround Lebron and PG with good 2-way role players (which the Lakers don't have) and competent coaching and they'll be a tough out in the players.

As for Lebron and the Lakers legacy, I don't think Lebron cares about any of that.  I'm sure he knows he's not going to be Magic or Kobe to Laker fans and it doesn't bother him one iota.

Lebron is going to turn 34 in December, and 34 was the last season when MJ and Kobe were any good.  It seems weird to say this given he's still the best player in the game, but it's also entirely possible that Lebron really starts to show some wear and tear and slow down, if he hasn't already.

3 minutes ago, Chapo said:

What are the Cavs fantasy scenarios to help them compete with GSW (if Lebron stays)?

Can they get Kawhi with Sexton + extras?  Probably not

Trade Love back home for Beal, Evan Turner, spare change? 

Kawhi.  No.  

Trade Love where?

A lot of smoke the Cavs have big interest in Kemba Walker but MJ wants to attach a bad contract and they can't take one on.  Probably need to find a 3rd team.

The case for Kemba to Cleveland.... The glaring hole in the article is it operates myopically.  As if no other team can offer better than Cleveland's.... which is simply a meh offer.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/6/26/17506946/kemba-walker-cleveland-cavaliers-charlotte-hornets-trade-rumors

Edited by Patrick Bateman

11 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

This is exactly why I don't understand the concept of him going there.

3 hours ago, d2o said:

This is exactly why I don't understand the concept of him going there.

same here. he doesn't want to be in anyone's shadow which is why I think the rockets could be his best bet. most talent and they took GSW to 7 games.  not saying he's going there just my feelings on the whole situation.

More crazy but what if he went to the clippers? still LA but could win them a championship and be looked at as a god there and in Cleveland but that's just crazy talk.  still think he stays in Cleveland but hope I'm wrong

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

same here. he doesn't want to be in anyone's shadow which is why I think the rockets could be his best bet. most talent and they took GSW to 7 games.  not saying he's going there just my feelings on the whole situation.

More crazy but what if he went to the clippers? still LA but could win them a championship and be looked at as a god there and in Cleveland but that's just crazy talk.  still think he stays in Cleveland but hope I'm wrong

Winning with the Clips would do far more for his legacy than winning with the Lakers would IMO.    The Clips do have Jerry West running things now but they have NOTHING I could imagine Lebron would want to play with.   Unless he could convince Kawhi and/or PG to give up their Laker love and roll with the Clips I can't see it happening.   Even then it would take smoe massive movement to make it happen.

I've said from the start his best move was staying with CLE and getting guys to come play with him there and I still think that is what happens ultimately.

Does Hardin really want him? He left OKC to be the man.

On 6/27/2018 at 1:22 PM, d2o said:

Winning with the Clips would do far more for his legacy than winning with the Lakers would IMO.    The Clips do have Jerry West running things now but they have NOTHING I could imagine Lebron would want to play with.   Unless he could convince Kawhi and/or PG to give up their Laker love and roll with the Clips I can't see it happening.   Even then it would take smoe massive movement to make it happen.

I've said from the start his best move was staying with CLE and getting guys to come play with him there and I still think that is what happens ultimately.

I don't follow NBA financials enough to know if it's even possible, but yes, winning with the Clippers would be a legacy-securing accomplishment. If James could convince enough guys to join him on the Clippers to where they won a title? Holy shit.

As for being at the Wilt Chamberlain level in a team's pantheon, well Chamberlain is the greatest player of all time so I guess it wouldn't be all that bad.

Ha, yeah, I see a bunch of message board posters and journalists wanting to clarify the exact technical language behind the option. Like it fucking matters.

Here's your option year, are you playing in Cleveland next year according to this option year? Yes or no? Who gives a shit whether it's an opt-in or an opt-out?

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Ha, yeah, I see a bunch of message board posters and journalists wanting to clarify the exact technical language behind the option. Like it fucking matters.

Here's your option year, are you playing in Cleveland next year according to this option year? Yes or no? Who gives a shit whether it's an opt-in or an opt-out?

Well...define playing in Cleveland. It could be 41 games +playoffs with the cavs, 2 games +  with the Sixers or 1 game with the Lakers or rockets . 

This has very important implications for 

12 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

He screams 'black excellence' as he jumps off that little rock? Lmao. 

did not notice that.. hahaha.  Kobe would be "Black Mamba" 

he really was quite nervous throughout, even though his boys had already jumped. BTW, not a great idea IMO to jump into unknown waters with the jagged rocks a possibility. 

Edited by Orca of Peace

8 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

did not notice that.. hahaha.  Kobe would be "Black Mamba" 

he really was quite nervous throughout, even though his boys had already jumped. BTW, not a great idea IMO to jump into unknown waters with the jagged rocks a possibility. 

I just thought it was funny he screamed that as he jumps off something that small. Now if it was some high ass cliff or sky diving, sure.

I am guessing Lebron is not that thrilled with heights and he is trying something new. And yes, I would hope they would have inspected the water for depth and objects at the bottom before he jumped haha. 

16 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

If true.... LOL.  Careful what you wish for.  The timing is weird to me though..... seems like another Klutch Sports leak so Lebron can get some local cover when he chooses the Lakers next week.

way too conveniently reported

Windy touched on this the other day, but are players really eager to play with Lebron? 

I think that's a narrative that's been out there with little to no evidence.  Players know that on whatever team he goes to, it's Lebron's team and they see what happened to Love and Bosh and how Kyrie wanted out.  Lebron is about to be 34 as well and it may be why he is worried that other players won't follow him to LA. 

14 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Windy touched on this the other day, but are players really eager to play with Lebron? 

I think that's a narrative that's been out there with little to no evidence.  Players know that on whatever team he goes to, it's Lebron's team and they see what happened to Love and Bosh and how Kyrie wanted out.  Lebron is about to be 34 as well and it may be why he is worried that other players won't follow him to LA. 

I wonder about this too, especially in Paul George's case. Being liked and thought of in the superstar conversation  is clearly extremely important to him. In a month, he's gone from LA's favorite son to "yeah, yeah, it's still cool if you come...but have you heard anything from LeBron and Kawhi?" If he returns to OKC, he'll be idolized as a savior: the guy who stayed for the fans and for Russ (even though he looked awkward at times as the offensive third wheel there as well).

Kawhi is the domino that will determine where Lebron goes. The Kawhi drama is central to all the other big time FAs this summer.  Who knew KL's world was so damn complicated?

I'm hoping SA trades him to CLE for picks and any talent they have so Bron/KL can take on Boston in the East and we have HOU/GS in the west , making for a stout Final 4 

5 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Kawhi wants to play with him.... PG probably does too.  A bunch of ring hunting over the hill vets will probably want to play with him.  I'll guess Brook Lopez will stick around for the MLE and play with him.  Young pups will be in awe of him.  I think a lot of guys still want to play with him.  In 2 years?  Not so sure...

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Kawhi wants to play with him.... PG probably does too.  A bunch of ring hunting over the hill vets will probably want to play with him.  I'll guess Brook Lopez will stick around for the MLE and play with him.  Young pups will be in awe of him.  I think a lot of guys still want to play with him.  In 2 years?  Not so sure...

After the money he made the last couple yrs in LA, Lopez will owe them a couple yrs at vet min if he wants to hang around.    They should be able to get a better vet for MLE

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Has Kawhi said so?  Has he said anything?  I'm pretty sure at this point he's just a functional mute and everything we're getting in the media is from Uncle Dennis.

PG?  Again, I haven't seen anything definitive where he wants to move heaven and earth to play with Lebron.

The over the hill vets will always want to ring chase and play a remora, but the Mike Millers, Birdman, Richard Jeffersons, and Kyle Kovers aren't real difference-makers.

Lebron's been in the league now 15 years and there's not a whole lot of evidence that real difference-makers are moving heaven and earth and taking pay cuts to play with him.  It didn't happen in Cleveland from 03-10 (the good players turned down Cleveland, so they were stuck with Larry Hughes, Donyell Marshall, amon Jones, and corpses of Ben Wallace & Shaq; even Boozer wanted out and reneged on a handshake deal to go to Utah), it didn't really happen with Miami (unless you count over the hill except for one shot Ray Allen), and it's not happening in Cleveland now.

6 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Has Kawhi said so?  Has he said anything?  I'm pretty sure at this point he's just a functional mute and everything we're getting in the media is from Uncle Dennis.

PG?  Again, I haven't seen anything definitive where he wants to move heaven and earth to play with Lebron.

The over the hill vets will always want to ring chase and play a remora, but the Mike Millers, Birdman, Richard Jeffersons, and Kyle Kovers aren't real difference-makers.

Lebron's been in the league now 15 years and there's not a whole lot of evidence that real difference-makers are moving heaven and earth and taking pay cuts to play with him.  It didn't happen in Cleveland from 03-10 (the good players turned down Cleveland, so they were stuck with Larry Hughes, Donyell Marshall, amon Jones, and corpses of Ben Wallace & Shaq; even Boozer wanted out and reneged on a handshake deal to go to Utah), it didn't really happen with Miami (unless you count over the hill except for one shot Ray Allen), and it's not happening in Cleveland now.

I think it's obvious Kawhi's preferred (not only acceptable) destination would be to go to LA.  Whether or not it's a desire to take his ball and go home after someone hurt his feelings or to play with Lebron or some combination of both is probably up for debate but he's certainly not saying no.  And I think PG would like to play with Lebron, he may simply prefer to inexplicably play with Russ more.  Really have to wonder about his decision making ability.  And now you're moving the goal posts.  You wrote:

6 hours ago, Message Board User said:

You didn't say difference makers or other great players.  You said players... and while it's always interesting to wonder who sourced different articles, I think the answer is still yes.

We also have no idea how other players under contract feel.  Dwayne Wade followed him to fucking Cleveland last year, so he still has pull.  Maybe not the most pull any other player has had but players constructing teams is a rather new phenomenon.  

I thought it was obvious I meant difference makers, unless you believe that Larry sanders taking a charity deal last season underscores lebrons status as pied piper.

As for these tweets and rumors, 90% of them are probably leaked by teams or players with an agenda and we'll just see what happens in the next couple weeks...

3 hours ago, Orca of Peace said:

Kawhi is the domino that will determine where Lebron goes. The Kawhi drama is central to all the other big time FAs this summer.  Who knew KL's world was so damn complicated?

I'm hoping SA trades him to CLE for picks and any talent they have so Bron/KL can take on Boston in the East and we have HOU/GS in the west , making for a stout Final 4 

I don’t think he’s waiting on KL. This thing feels like it’s been in the works for awhile.