First Man (on the Moon) - Neil Armstrong Biopic

atomheartbevo

On 10/29/2018 at 9:27 PM, atomheartbevo said:

They did end up divorced.  

I believe that 5 of the surviving 7 "Next Nine" astronauts ended up divorced. Jim & Marylin Lovell and Frank & Susan Borman were the only couples who didn't. 

Being an astronaut in the Gemni/Apollo era had to be pretty rough on a marriage.... working 12-15 hour days... splitting time between Houston, the Cape, and all the different places where they were making the CM and LM components (North American, Grumman, McDonald Douglas, etc.).  And this is all going on around people's ages when marriages generally start to strain (late 30s to mid 40s).  Had to be rough.

On 10/29/2018 at 11:22 PM, cabowabo said:

I watched a couple of documentaries on Netflix after seeing this movie. Last Man on the Moon and Mission Control: The Unsung Heroes of Apollo both blew away the movie.

Well to be fair, they are documentaries about the space program. If that's what you're interested in seeing then you should just watch those. First Man wasn't trying to be a documentary on Gemni/Apollo.  It's a biopic focusing on one man.

But related - if you haven't seen the Discovery series "When We Left Earth" you should check it out. I think it's pulled off Netflix right now, but you can get it from iTunes for like $10.

Edited by oSuJeff97

"contact light" were the first words spoken on the moon, right?

Just saw it and IMO Ramjet is nitpicking. Movie was a bit slow at times, 2hrs 20 minutes. Overall A- and I'd see it again no doubt. 

Now i have to ask == was the actual landing just that dangerous being on the cusp of the huge crater and low on fuel? If that low, how did they dock back to the mothership? Would have also like do see / hear more conversation on the 4 days going there. They also missed out on the journey back and splashdown which was epic. Still, the views were spectacular and I gained much respect for the danger of that entire project and the guts. Bravo Astronauts, true heroes! 

15 hours ago, NowThis said:

Now i have to ask == was the actual landing just that dangerous being on the cusp of the huge crater and low on fuel? If that low, how did they dock back to the mothership? Would have also like do see / hear more conversation on the 4 days going there. They also missed out on the journey back and splashdown which was epic. Still, the views were spectacular and I gained much respect for the danger of that entire project and the guts. Bravo Astronauts, true heroes! 

Yes the landing was that dangerous and yes Neil navigated past/around a boulder field and big crater which is actually why they landed with so little fuel.

The fuel remaining was calculated based on how much fuel they had to land AND ascend back to the command module in lunar orbit.  So it's not like they were 100% out of fuel when the clock reached zero... it's that if they weren't on the lunar surface when the clock reached zero, they had to immediately abort the landing and go into direct ascent back into lunar orbit, because if they didn't then they wouldn't have enough fuel to reach the CM in lunar orbit.

(I'm sure Ramjet can give a more precise explanation, but I think that's the gist of it)

Edited by oSuJeff97

• 8 months later...
4 minutes ago, futureman said:

no joke.  from what I understand he was extremely flamboyant and always very loud and animated.  talk about hollywood getting it wrong. 

His tie collection is amazing.  And over never seen anybody else with entire suits made out of clothe that’s American- or space-themed.  Tim Allen was the perfect choice for an animated action figure named after him.  

23 hours ago, futureman said:

no joke.  from what I understand he was extremely flamboyant and always very loud and animated.  talk about hollywood getting it wrong. 

Where did you get that?

I've seen pretty much every documentary out there on Apollo and read several books, and I don't think I've ever heard/seen Armstrong described as "extremely flamboyant and always very loud and animated..." If that describes any Astronaut, it would be Pete Conrad, lol.

Armstrong certainly wasn't as dour as he was depicted in First Man, but he was always described as a buttoned down professional who never lost his cool.

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Where did you get that?

I've seen pretty much every documentary out there on Apollo and read several books, and I don't think I've ever heard/seen Armstrong described as "extremely flamboyant and always very loud and animated..." If that describes any Astronaut, it would be Pete Conrad, lol.

Armstrong certainly wasn't as dour as he was depicted in First Man, but he was always described as a buttoned down professional who never lost his cool.

goddammit, jeff.  you’re better than this.