First Man (on the Moon) - Neil Armstrong Biopic

atomheartbevo

On the heels of their six-time Academy Award®-winning smash, La La Land, Oscar®-winning director Damien Chazelle and star Ryan Gosling reteam for Universal Pictures’ First Man, the riveting story of NASA’s mission to land a man on the moon, focusing on Neil Armstrong and the years 1961-1969. A visceral, first-person account, based on the book by James R. Hansen, the movie will explore the sacrifices and the cost—on Armstrong and on the nation—of one of the most dangerous missions in history. Written by Academy Award® winner Josh Singer (Spotlight), the drama is produced by Wyck Godfrey & Marty Bowen (The Twilight Saga, The Fault in Our Stars) through their Temple Hill Entertainment banner, alongside Chazelle and Gosling. Isaac Klausner (The Fault in Our Stars) executive produces. DreamWorks Pictures co-finances the film.

Spoiler

He lands on the moon  

Shockingly, I'm in.

(although I truly hope that snafu of throwing "Go at throttle up" in there was someone on the trailer team not realizing that was Shuttle audio and not Apollo)

I also like that there's going to be some Gemini pron in this.  That was such a critical program that never gets the love or respect that it deserves in history.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

Shockingly, I'm in.

I also like that there's going to be some Gemini pron in this.  That was such a critical program that never gets the love or respect that it deserves in history.

Looks like they also show him ejecting from the Lunar lander simulator. That thing shoulda killed him. 

Edited by atomheartbevo

Looks awesome.

In34.

Edit - just looked at the cast list... lots of great people in this... Kyle Chandler is Deke Slayton, Pablo Schreiber is Jim Lovell, Jason Clarke is Ed White, Shea Whigham is Gus Grissom, Ethan Embry is Pete Conrad... Ciaran Hinds is also listed in it on IMDB but his character isn't shown...wonder if he's someone like Werner Von Braun... he kind of looks like Von Braun.

Edited by oSuJeff97

On 6/9/2018 at 7:21 AM, RamjetFDO said:

Agreed.  As I understand it, Gemini VIII was some seriously scary stuff.

I find it interesting that after using McDonnell to build the Mercury and Gemini spacecraft, NASA went with North American Aviation for Apollo.  Or course Gemini hadn't happened yet when the contact was awarded.

6 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

I fear this thing will suck hind tit.  Not sure why, just a feeling.

This is clearly not a tent pole movie. I’m not even sure who the audience is outside of space buffs.  Armstrong just didn’t put himself out there like Aldrin, Yeager, etc. so I wonder if most people under 50 even have an impression of him other than walking on the moon first  

But watching that trailer, it feels like a labor of love. 

8 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

I fear this thing will suck hind tit.  Not sure why, just a feeling.

It certainly has talented people involved.  Damien Chazelle directing, for example.  Good to great actors like Kyle Chandler, Jason Clarke, and Brian D'Arcy James.  Besides I'm a sucker for these movies.  It could just be flying around in space taking a shit and I'd watch it...I've heard it takes awhile in zero-g.

On 6/11/2018 at 11:19 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Just realized they show the Apollo 1 fire in the trailer. 

That’s gonna be tough to watch. 

Yeah and you have Shea Wingam and Jason Clarke playing Gus Grissom and Ed White, respectively, so it's not like it's going to be just a little side note like in Apollo 13. 

I assume they are going to spend quite a bit of time on Project Gemini, which is cool.

• 1 month later...

I'm in.

Dad worked at NASA for 37+ years.  I met and spoke with Armstrong several times as a result when I was a little kid.  The science that went into the space program is still something I am just not smart enough to comprehend or understand.  Imagine sitting on top of a rocket loaded with fuel and saying to yourself, "ah, fuck it.  go ahead and light this thing and let's see if I can land and walk on the moon.  and then get back home."

• Like 4

2 hours ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

WTF you’re just telling us this now?!??

Met many of the astronauts.  I went to elementary, middle and high school with many of their kids.  A few even at UT.  The last time I saw/spoke to Neil Armstrong, I was about 11 or 12 years old and he and I were sitting next to each other getting our hair cut at the barbershop.  Also, my dad has all kinds of memorabilia (signed photos, plaques, etc).  I told him I wanted all that stuff willed to me when he dies -- Does this make me a bad/selfish person?

I’m 60 years old. And I’m curious if anyone my age ever wondered how oddly quiet Armstrong remained his entire life after returning from that mission? His crew members sure didn’t have any issues talking about it.

I’m sure he was never hurt for money. But I was told from a very young age to be weary of any man who talks to much about his accomplishments, but question the accomplishments of any man who never mentions them. 

for those who know, how much more complex is the os that powers the phone in my pocket in comparison to the computing power that sent a man to the moon?  there was an article a couple years ago about this but i couldn't find it.
The main Apollo 11 computer had 2 kilobytes of RAM. Today's phones have a million times more. That computer had a single core microprocessor that clocked in at 1 MHz. Today's phones have multiple multi core processors clocked at thousands of times faster.

On 7/31/2018 at 9:08 PM, Hamttx said:

I’m 60 years old. And I’m curious if anyone my age ever wondered how oddly quiet Armstrong remained his entire life after returning from that mission? His crew members sure didn’t have any issues talking about it.

I’m sure he was never hurt for money. But I was told from a very young age to be weary of any man who talks to much about his accomplishments, but question the accomplishments of any man who never mentions them. 

In one of the major documentaries - When We Left Earth or In the Shadow of the Moon, I think it was Alan Bean told a story about Armstrong that summed up his quietness.

Armstrong was flying the Lunar Lander simulator, as much as you could fly it, and it was extremely dangerous (basically just a metal frame with jet engines or rockets or something).  Anyways, shit went south, Armstrong ejected with just a few second left before it crashed, he parachuted down, went back to his office, and was doing paperwork.  Bean or whoever heard that he ejected, walked into Armstrong's office, and Armstrong sat there doing paperwork.  Bean said something about him having to eject, and Armstrong was like "yep" and kept on doing his paperwork.

Anyways, point being, Armstrong was one of those steely-eyed missile men that didn't feel the need to brag or anything.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

In one of the major documentaries - When We Left Earth or In the Shadow of the Moon, I think it was Alan Bean told a story about Armstrong that summed up his quietness.

Armstrong was flying the Lunar Lander simulator, as much as you could fly it, and it was extremely dangerous (basically just a metal frame with jet engines or rockets or something).  Anyways, shit went south, Armstrong ejected with just a few second left before it crashed, he parachuted down, went back to his office, and was doing paperwork.  Bean or whoever heard that he ejected, walked into Armstrong's office, and Armstrong sat there doing paperwork.  Bean said something about him having to eject, and Armstrong was like "yep" and kept on doing his paperwork.

Anyways, point being, Armstrong was one of those steely-eyed missile men that didn't feel the need to brag or anything.

Yup ... the "Flying Bedstead" was a dangerous-as-hell thing, but Neil handled his ejection like everything else.  Cool as a cucumber.

He was the *perfect* Apollo 11 commander because of it, and nothing after that changed his demeanor or personality.

• Like 1

Fuck yea. Count me in.

Dad took us up the East coast in '70, because he had Naval War College in Newport, RI. I was 8 and remember it as my family's version of  the movie Vacation. Even had the Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser station wagon. Saw all the monuments in DC and of course hit the Smithsonian. Still remember seeing the spacecraft and moon rocks. Cool stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

I love that scene in Apollo 13 when they introduce Armstrong by name to the elderly mother of one of the guys up in space at the time.  After meeting him and hearing his name she asks him if he is part of the Space Program and everyone just looks at her.  I wonder if that ever really happened to him.

20 hours ago, Not a cat said:

I love that scene in Apollo 13 when they introduce Armstrong by name to the elderly mother of one of the guys up in space at the time.  After meeting him and hearing his name she asks him if he is part of the Space Program and everyone just looks at her.  I wonder if that ever really happened to him.

That was Ron Howard's mom and she wasn't connected to NASA so I'd say no.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1