Canada: Don't Come Running To Us For Asylum

phdhorn

Canada, the supposed haven for immigrative asylum, is telling potential immigrants: 1) don't be coming up here illegally, and 2) they're seizing and deporting over 90% of those attempting it back, not to the U.S., but straight back to their countries of origin.

Canada warns immigrants in U.S. about heading north of the border

Alan Gomez, USA TODAYPublished 3:35 p.m. ET June 8, 2018 | Updated 3:57 p.m. ET June 8, 2018
CLOSEFearful they will be deported by the Trump administration, thousands of immigrants are illegally crossing from the U.S. into Canada in hopes of being granted asylum. (Aug. 9) APAFP AFP_RA3DW I SOI SOI CAN QU

(Photo: Geoff Robins, AFP/Getty Images)

CONNECTTWEETLINKEDIN 1COMMENTEMAILMORE

MIAMI — As President Trump travels north to Canada to attend the G7 summit, Canadian officials have been heading south to try to stem a wave of undocumented immigrants headed their way.

In what has become an increasingly regular mission, Canadian representatives visited the U.S this week to warn immigrants fearful over President Trump's immigration crackdown that they can't simply rush north of the border to find safe haven. 

Randy Boissonnault, a liberal member of Parliament and a special advisor to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, visited South Florida this week to try to educate would-be immigrants about the limitations of the Canadian immigration system.

In the past year, Canada has seen bursts of U.S.-based immigrants crossing illegally into Canada, mostly into the Quebec province that borders New York and other northeastern U.S. states.

In August, Royal Canadian Mounted Police caught more than 5,500 people trying to illegally cross from the U.S. Those were mostly Haitian immigrants who will soon loseTemporary Protected Status as part of the Trump administration's phase-out of the TPS program that has protected more than 300,000 people from countries struck by war and natural disasters.

Only about 8% of their asylum application have been approved, however, meaning the vast majority have been turned down and are being deported straight back to their home countries.

"People seem to think that if they cross the border there's this land of milk and honey on the other side," Boissonnault said from the Canadian consulate in Miami on Thursday. "What we want is for people to have the right information. We want them to do the right thing for their families."

The Canadians started conducting their visits to the U.S. last summer, when they first saw their illegal immigration numbers going up. They've visited Los Angeles, where many Mexican and Central American immigrants live. And they've made several trips to the Little Haiti neighborhood of Miami.

This week, Boissonnault met with groups that work with a variety of immigrants in South Florida. He even went on a Radio Caracol, a Spanish-language station, to explain the realities of immigration using his best Spanish.

Olga Radchenko, director of parliamentary affairs for Canada's Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, said officials in their 12 consulates around the U.S. have been trying to deliver the same message. And by this summer, the Miami consulate will have a new full-time officer whose responsibilities will include outreach to communities most likely to try to illegally enter Canada.

"Canadians are broadly supportive of immigration," Radchenko said. "But Canadians truly believe in order and well-managed immigration."

Part of the reason many immigrants try their luck in Canada is the way the country has responded to the global refugee crisis. 

The country has been increasing the total number of immigrants it admits each year. It's on pace to accept 310,000 permanent residents this year, with a goal of increasing the annual total to 340,000 by 2020. 

The Canadian government has also increased the number of refugees it accepts to help ease the burden on European countries that are overwhelmed with people fleeing war and famine in the Middle East and Africa. The country is planning to accept about 43,000 refugees this year, increasing that to nearly 49,000 by 2020.

Meanwhile, the Trump administration has been trying to limit legal immigration and has at times completely halted the refugee program in the name of national security.

The administration is pushing legislation to reduce the number of legal immigrants admitted to the country, and it set a cap of 45,000 refugees for 2018, the lowest number since Congress passed the Refugee Act in 1980. The administration may not even reach that number, however, as it has only approved 14,887 refugees through Friday with less than four months left in the fiscal year.

The Canadian officials would not comment on the Trump administration's actions on immigration, but they emphasized how Canada, like the United States, is a land of immigrants that must always welcome those searching for a better life.

Boissonnault told the story of his forefathers, who first landed in Canada in 1642. He said it makes no difference, however, whether someone's family has lived in Canada for "four centuries, four decades, four months or four minutes: A Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian.

"Other than indigenous peoples...our country has been built on, and will continue to be built on, immigration," he said. "But if you cross the border illegally, you will be breaking the law. You will be apprehended. And after that, you will be in detention."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/06/08/canada-warns-immigrants-u-s-heading-north-border/683297002/

Some of the rhetoric in the article whitewashes it otherwise ("gee we LOVE immigrants... but...", but Canada has no DACA/Dream Act, no huge detention program, and, like the U.S. they they deport people despite their families being there, if found to sufficiently violate immigration policy (i.e. be an illegal) or won't let the foreign fiance of a quadriplegic new mother into the country if they're not satisfied of his intent.

It's always interesting to find that we're squeezed between two countries that are, as a matter of routine policy, harsher and "by the book" regarding immigration policy than we are, yet we're the "big, bad bully on the block."

And now they're saying, "not in our backyard" unless you do it legally.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Pathetic attempt at trolling. From your own article, Canada, a nation whose population is less than California, is announcing it is raising its refugee quota to a level that will actually be higher than that of the United fucking States.

Why this sudden hard-on to criticize Canada, a country with a population that is only 10 times smaller than ours? Hmm... could it be that our piece of shit "president" is embarrassing himself by pissing off friends and coddling enemies at this very moment in that country?

Nice job trying to deflect and distract from what really matters. PhD, I know you're a conservative, but I thought you actually had principles. I didn't realize you were such a partisan prick. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

And to make sure you or anyone else reading this thread don't miss the point: On a per capita basis, Canada is accepting nearly 10 times the number of refugees than the US, and you dare to criticize them?

Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door! 

Talk about a misleading thread title.

Edited by bolverk
  • Like 1

If anyone's wondering why I'm so upset about this is that PhD, a very well-respected poster, comes in here and shits out this thread - all while remaining relatively silent on a myriad of other disgraceful shit going on right now.

It's the sort of behavior one would expect from tinhorn, epicqueen, or dsa; not from one of surly's leading scholars and renaissance men. You're better than this, man.

17 minutes ago, bolverk said:

If anyone's wondering why I'm so upset about this is that PhD, a very well-respected poster, comes in here and shits out this thread - all while remaining relatively silent on a myriad of other disgraceful shit going on right now.

It's the sort of behavior one would expect from tinhorn, epicqueen, or dsa; not from one of surly's leading scholars and renaissance men. You're better than this, man.

Got a little thing for him don'tcha ?

• Fuck You 2

Canada is having an election in 2019, and they are currently a top target for the alt-right, xenophobic, Russian disinformation campaigns. r/canada on reddit has a huge alt-right presence now. 

I don't believe this particular piece by USA today is straight up fake news or xenophobic propaganda, nor do I think phdhorn is a witting alt-right troll. However, news articles like this can easily be re-framed into a divisive, misleading discussion. Taking legitimate news and turning it into a wedge between groups is classic tribalism, identity politics. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Weathermen are “scholars” now?  We truly are living out Idiocracy at this point.

Is the leader in Canada calling these immigrants rapists and murderers? Is he using ethnic and cultural differences to generate fear and hate? Does he call other countries shit holes? Does he do these things with the support of 40% of Canadians?

Yea, they're worse than us. Goddamn uberhonkies to the north!

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

This is just your juvenile way of reacting when someone might disagree with you.  Not unexpected, I've seen you do it a lot - including your admission of weakness by using ad hominem.  

In any event, I don't give a fuck about your reaction.  I'm not trolling.  This was an article in that troll rag called "USA Today", the #1 read daily in the country.  And the article was about Canada's cracking down in illegally entering immigrants.  In actuality they're doing what should be done, going to the letter of the law.  I'm citing it as a good thing.

As for the rest of the clamoring hordes, of course you completely misread the thing or my intent.  I don't fucking care.  You can shit yourself or you can talk intelligently.  Either way, 

hqdefault.jpg

But it IS funny watching some with absolutely no self-control shit themselves.   

And on your "refugee totals" you'd better do some reading.  Your quote on "quota level" is embarrassingly off.  The article is talking about refugees.  The U.S. accepts over 1 million people per year.  Canada about 340,000 (both the U.S. and Canada have quotas, the U.S. about 3X Canada).

On the Emma Lazarus poem, do you even know the history behind that?  Do you know the history behind U.S. immigration policy especially up to the 1990's?  No, you don't.  That's a whole 'nother argument.

I'm not trolling, I've posted an article that simply made the fucking front page today, saying Canada is hustling to ensure that immigrants shouldn't expect to be able to enter the country, and whose policy is just as restrictive of the U.S.   Like this:

Canada's immigration policy is actually stricter than the U.S.... they size people up for their potential for success and refuse entry if they feel they're unlikely to achieve it.  And Mexico is in another subject.
The point of all of this except for the dumbshits that can't read/are blinded by their own hatred and ideology, is that Canada is just as, if not more, restrictive than the U.S.

You wanna discuss the article, discuss the article.  You wanna fling monkey shit, it don't make a shit except to make you look dumber and less in control of your faculties.  Either way, have a nice fucking day.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

This is just your juvenile way of reacting when someone might disagree with you.  Not unexpected, I've seen you do it a lot - including your admission of weakness by using ad hominem.  

In any event, I don't give a fuck about your reaction.  I'm not trolling.  This was an article in that troll rag called "USA Today", the #1 read daily in the country.  And the article was about Canada's cracking down in illegally entering immigrants.  In actuality they're doing what should be done, going to the letter of the law.  I'm citing it as a good thing.

As for the rest of the clamoring hordes, of course you completely misread the thing or my intent.  I don't fucking care.  You can shit yourself or you can talk intelligently.  Either way, 

hqdefault.jpg

And on your "refugee totals" you'd better do some reading.  Your quote on "quota level" is embarrassingly off.  The article is talking about refugees.  The U.S. accepts over 1 million people per year.  Canada about 340,000 (both the U.S. and Canada have quotas, the U.S. about 3X Canada).

On the Emma Lazarus poem, do you even know the history behind that?  Do you know the history behind U.S. immigration policy especially up to the 1990's?  No, you don't.  That's a whole 'nother argument.

I'm not trolling, I've posted an article that simply made the fucking front page today, saying Canada is hustling to ensure that immigrants shouldn't expect to be able to enter the country, and whose policy is just as restrictive of the U.S.   Like this:

Canada's immigration policy is actually stricter than the U.S.... they size people up for their potential for success and refuse entry if they feel they're unlikely to achieve it.  And Mexico is in another subject.
 The point of all of this except for the dumbshits that can't read/are blinded by their own hatred and ideology, is that Canada is just as, if not more, restrictive than the U.S.

You wanna discuss the article, discuss the article.  You wanna fling monkey shit, it don't make a shit except to make you look dumber and less in control of your faculties.  Either way, have a nice fucking day.

I was referring specifically to this section:

The Canadian government has also increased the number of refugees it accepts to help ease the burden on European countries that are overwhelmed with people fleeing war and famine in the Middle East and Africa. The country is planning to accept about 43,000 refugees this year, increasing that to nearly 49,000 by 2020.

Meanwhile, the Trump administration has been trying to limit legal immigration and has at times completely halted the refugee program in the name of national security.

The administration is pushing legislation to reduce the number of legal immigrants admitted to the country, and it set a cap of 45,000 refugees for 2018, the lowest number since Congress passed the Refugee Act in 1980. The administration may not even reach that number, however, as it has only approved 14,887 refugees through Friday with less than four months left in the fiscal year.

And nice job of misquoting me. At no point, did I ever say "refugee totals".

I think folks are ok with the article. The issue is what you are trying to show based on the article.

49 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

And the article was about Canada's cracking down in illegally entering immigrants.

The article is not about Canada "cracking down" on anything. The article is about Canadian officials spreading the word that Canada has immigration laws and follows them and why they are doing that. You seem to be making the point that Canada enforcing their immigration laws is somehow notable and somehow means something.  All countries have immigration laws and enforce them. IMO it is more telling that immigrants/refugees are trying to leave the US and get to Canada.

3 hours ago, phdhorn said:

"People seem to think that if they cross the border there's this land of milk and honey on the other side," Boissonnault said from the Canadian consulate in Miami on Thursday. "What we want is for people to have the right information. We want them to do the right thing for their families."

Another point you seem to be making is that Canada's "strict" immigration laws and enforcement somehow makes the US's laws and enforcement look easy, less strict, more humane, or something. Why do you feel you need to make the US's immigration situation look a certain way? 

Points from the article:

- Canada is expected to increase their total number of admitted immigrants and total number of refugees.

- The trump administration is decreasing the total number of admitted immigrants and total number of refugees.  

- Canada and the US are expected to accommodate almost the same number of refugees.  Considering our differences in total populations, this is rather significant. 

The article didn't even paint the entire picture of US's current immigration situation: trump ran on an anti-immigrant platform inline with the alt-right, trump has attempted various muslim bans, and his administration has implemented the policy of splitting up families in the name of deterrence.

Your main evidence that Canada is "stricter" seems to be that they use qualifications/skills when evaluating immigrants.  This wasn't described in the article. If you are interested in having an intelligent conversation on the pros and cons of US's and Canada's approach, another article would probably be more relevant - one that preferably provides some grounding in the basics.  I would advise that immigration is a wedge issue that is often used to inflame emotions, so care should be taken if you want to have a productive discussion.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, phdhorn said:

hqdefault.jpg

You didn’t just “post an article.”  The entire premise of your post/rant is America let’s in too many browns and still gets criticized while our Canadian neighbors get to somehow skate by without criticism even though I your opinion they are supposedly harsher on immigrants than president shitstain and his republican friends. 

Well as for immigration. All you have to post is the whites in America, especially the olds, think we are letting in too many browns. That would sum up 99.9 percent of all internet threads on immigration like the one you just started. 

8 hours ago, bolverk said:

Don't sell phd short, he can be just as shitty as anybody. 

• Like 1

canada has almost full control of immigration because of the ocean and the us as buffers, and because it is very difficult to be undocumented and access health care or work.  it takes in more legal immigrants/refugees per capita than the us does, but it has almost zero illegal immigration.

historically canada has almost no issues with either illegal immigration or refugee claims from the us. it's been the opposite with small numbers of folks flying to canada on a visa to sneak into the us because they can't get a us visa.

but since trump was elected asylum seekers and illegal immigrants already in the us have started walking over the border into canada. 

this is now a problem in canada.  there is a tent city at a quebec border crossing to handle the flow.  the locals there and folks at the manitoba border are fed up with it.

to contest this the canadian government is trying to get information warning prospective refugee claimants that they are likely going to be deported home.  unofficially, this is to encourage them to go illegal and stay in the states.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

You didn’t just “post an article.”  The entire premise of your post/rant is America let’s in too many browns and still gets criticized while our Canadian neighbors get to somehow skate by without criticism even though I your opinion they are supposedly harsher on immigrants than president shitstain and his republican friends. 

Well as for immigration. All you have to post is the whites in America, especially the olds, think we are letting in too many browns. That would sum up 99.9 percent of all internet threads on immigration like the one you just started. 

Is it browns or unskilled? Personally, I don't care what color they are.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2018 at 8:52 PM, bolverk said:

If anyone's wondering why I'm so upset about this is that PhD, a very well-respected poster, comes in here and shits out this thread

Well, people that actually read his shit get over the PhD thing pretty quick and realize he’s as big a crackpot as the rest of the trolls.

I am definitely taking a vacation to Canada over the next year.  I went on a cruise last year in December after the election and we got seated with a Canadian couple.  

The guy says, “ Sow, whatcha think aboot Trump?”  Instant faceplam from me and I said he was a media manipulating con man. The wife agreed and said she hated Trump but the guy liked him.  It was weird.