Penelope

Open a bar they said, It will be fun they said...

hang the fuck on.... you are happy to pay a $5400 fine?       for the employee who wasnt on the job and drinking?    wtf, a huge chunk of the bars in town have the employees go off shift, change out of their uniform, and drink at the bar. ive seen it easily 50 times in the last 7 years.

2 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

hang the fuck on.... you are happy to pay a $5400 fine?       for the employee who wasnt on the job and drinking?    wtf, a huge chunk of the bars in town have the employees go off shift, change out of their uniform, and drink at the bar. ive seen it easily 50 times in the last 7 years.

i-think-you-might-have-a-little-drinking

On 6/17/2018 at 8:27 PM, Neonmoon said:

Are there bartenders who don’t steal, do drugs, or fuck the customers?

[Former bartender] No. [/Former bartender]

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

True. And I’ve been one of those employees myself over the years. But it is a law, and it was my unfortunate luck that they came when she was there and intoxicated. And yes I’m very happy to pay $5400 as opposed  to $19000 because it was his discretion what to fine me. And I’m sure she was intoxicated according to tabc guidelines. As it turns out, when you open a new bar tabc must visit you at least 3 times in the first 3 months. We called the cops on an unruly customer, which equates into an extra visit. Because we violated and had an intoxicated employee that was over served in the presence of tabc officers we got “flagged”. Which means tabc has to visit my place again 3 times without violations before they will close my case. The officer I met with informed me that they had been there 10 times and this was the only occurrence. Which is why he gave me the least possible fine he could. And he also informed me that if it had been me as an owner, intoxicated, I would have been shut down immediately for 60 days. I have the choice to fight it in court, but that wouldn’t help. The law is what the law is and I’m obligated to abide by it. I spoke with my lawyer right after the incident happened and he said to just pay them. Fighting it in court is just a hassle and I will lose. Again it could have been $19000 but because we have not violated since the initial fine, they were lenient towards me 

tldr: tabc owns my ass. 

3 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

If you can't be drunk in your own bar, what's the fucking point? 

Sorry for your predicament, Pennifer. 

No shit. They could basically fuck any bar at any time with the employee/owner being intoxicated thing. 

No shit. They could basically fuck any bar at any time with the employee/owner being intoxicated thing. 
Agreed. I don't know how many bars I've been in where I've seen the bartenders taking shots and pouring drinks for themselves behind the bar.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Or he could've made you pay $0.00 and suspended the whole of the fine, as well as listed you as "in compliance x rather than just convinced you they were doing you a favor when they were fucking you and shaking you down.

Allegedly.

26 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I bet it’s ok for people dealing weed to be stoned.

The Colorado dispensaries I've been to are stone-cold sober.  Think of going into a bank branch that requires ID before you even enter the first door.

22 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

The Colorado dispensaries I've been to are stone-cold sober.  Think of going into a bank branch that requires ID before you even enter the first door.

When I lived there, it was quite obvious that there was some product testing going on.

My local pub (also in Wilco) got hit by TABC about a month ago. Undercover agents witnessed the bartender serve an obviously drunk patron. In fact, the bartender said loud enough to be heard by several people as the drunk approached the bar "I can tell you're shitfaced so I'm only gonna give you one drink." Brilliant.

Bartender was popped on the spot. Bar owner was given a similar-but significantly lighter-option as Penelope: close for 8 days or $2400 fine. Obviously took the fine.

Bartender was fired immediately. Regular drunks have been put on notice & warned about the stings. I'm in the HH crowd, stop by for one after work or catch a big day game on weekends so not worried about my own situation, but odds are slim they don't get popped again while on probation. Hell, a regular drunk aggy who smells like an outhouse had to get an uber home before 7pm the other night according to a friend. He regularly gets plastered & people are tired of shuttling him home even though he's a mile from the bar.

6 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Hell, a regular drunk aggy who smells like an outhouse had to get an uber home before 7pm the other night according to a friend. He regularly gets plastered & people are tired of shuttling him home even though he's a mile from the bar.

Does the asshole have legs?

Does the asshole have legs?
Hah. He's a chain smoking, overweight slob who gets winded walking from the parking lot to the front bar. When-not if-he has his massive heart attack nobody's gonna offer to administer CPR.

Ooooff!!

sorry to hear that.  Beware of “kind” regulators, impo they are often the biggest dicks in the end.

Do you agree with all the violations?  A common tactic with inspectors is to represent they are doing you a “favor” with a limited number of issues.  When that is really a strict enforcement.  (I haven’t dealt with TABC). 

Edited by Incredulity

So they did 10 visits...and finally pop someone for being drunk?

Seems like the best response at that point would be, “Hey we can tell you’re running shit above board, so suspend/ terminate the employee OR will fine you.”

Then again, we’re talking Texas liquor laws here, and they make aggy logic seem like some Ivy League think tank.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

So they did 10 visits...and finally pop someone for being drunk?

Seems like the best response at that point would be, “Hey we can tell you’re running shit above board, so suspend/ terminate the employee OR will fine you.”

Then again, we’re talking Texas liquor laws here, and they make aggy logic seem like some Ivy League think tank.

Was buying a six pack of beer to take with me fishing last week.  I paid for the beer and told the lady I did not need a plastic sack (my boat was outside and the cooler iced down, so I was just going to drop them in the cooler).  The clerk told me it is a state law when buying a single or six pack, that it must be in a bag.  Who makes these dumbass laws?

There's a misconception in Alabama that that is the law as well.  It is not, but you'll have a hard time convincing a cashier of that.

7 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Was buying a six pack of beer to take with me fishing last week.  I paid for the beer and told the lady I did not need a plastic sack (my boat was outside and the cooler iced down, so I was just going to drop them in the cooler).  The clerk told me it is a state law when buying a single or six pack, that it must be in a bag.  Who makes these dumbass laws?

baptists.

Edited by crash_davis

On 6/23/2018 at 5:42 PM, SKJ said:

Or he could've made you pay $0.00 and suspended the whole of the fine, as well as listed you as "in compliance x rather than just convinced you they were doing you a favor when they were fucking you and shaking you down.

Allegedly.

[Officer] I could give you a ticket for your license plate light being out in addition to this speeding ticket for going 4 miles over the limit... but I'm gonna give you a break. [/ officer]

Actually happened to me in Pearland. 

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

[Officer] I could give you a ticket for your license plate light being out in addition to this speeding ticket for going 4 miles over the limit... but I'm gonna give you a break. [/ officer]

Lucky for you that he had already met his quota and was feeling really nice.  Either that or he just wanted to harass someone but didn't want to take on the enormous task of actually writing the ticket.

On 6/21/2018 at 6:39 PM, Penelope said:

tldr: tabc owns my ass. 

Pics of this ass?

Edited by Whitman

On 7/3/2018 at 11:13 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

No wonder people thought I opened a bar in Jarrell.

emoji33.png

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Want to buy a bar in Jarrell?

13 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Yeah, this is Penelope without her spoon. Don't know how anyone could get the two confused.

It’s actually Penelope Witherspoon and Penelope Dontgiveafork.

On 6/12/2018 at 5:54 PM, CooterBrown said:

Try closing earlier. You don’t have to match the drinking hours and I’d guess most issues occur in the 12-2am window.

yeah that'll be great for business ."hey let's all go that bar that's always closed early."

So TABC visits me twice a month from now until forever. On a positive note, I just cleaned up puke all over my ladies room. Fun times 

On 7/7/2018 at 5:14 AM, Goo Punch said:

yeah that'll be great for business ."hey let's all go that bar that's always closed early."

Just like every packed tap room that closes at 10pm.

On 6/27/2018 at 10:15 AM, BigHorn'13 said:

Two violations? You're lucky he didn't just shoot you on the spot.

There's a misconception in Alabama that that is the law as well.  It is not, but you'll have a hard time convincing a cashier of that.
I've said it a few times to clerks that as noted by Johnny sack, it's not a law. They then say yes it is, they know because they work there (or similar response).

No need in arguing, I just let it go.

5 hours ago, baboso said:

For a bar that's not open much, you sure do have a pukey clientele.

Well the bartenders are all wasted and tend to over-serve.

Which one of you Surlites got over served at Penelope's bar and wandered over to get a bite at McD's??

Screenshot_20180815_063208_Facebook.jpg

Edited by SurlyBDR

25 minutes ago, SurlyBDR said:

Which one of you Surlites got over served at Penelope's bar and wandered over to get a bite at McD's??

Sherriff’s name is quite descriptive 

Is this the bar on south bound 35 access road with the big propeller curling fan Iinside? If so I go there to watch the horns every thanksgiving I don't have tickets to the game.

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

Is this the bar on south bound 35 access road with the big propeller curling fan Iinside? If so I go there to watch the horns every thanksgiving I don't have tickets to the game.

No.  East side of 35, same cross-street where the McDonald's is located.

This could be one of the saddest things that I’ve ever read.

.c21380e4fe15d1db5eab5f1e7d219093.jpg

12 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

12 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

No.  East side of 35, same cross-street where the McDonald's is located.

v9gz4s8.jpg

Adults standing around doing nothing bad, government comes over and breaks their legs, hands them crutches and citizens thank the government for allowing them to walk.

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

Adults standing around doing nothing bad, government comes over and breaks their legs, hands them crutches and citizens thank the government for allowing them to walk.

when should we expect your manifesto?