Topping ingredients

• 1/4 cup peanuts crushed
  • 1 lime
  • 1/3 cup cilantro chopped
  • red pepper flakes optional
  • 1 lemon
  • 1/3 cup cilantro chopped

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Prepare rice noodles according to the instructions on the package, or as described above. 

2. Drain the noodles and add 1 tbsp oil to prevent it from sticking. Set aside.

3. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together brown sugar, rice vinegar, soy sauce and fish sauce. This is the Pad Thai sauce.

4. Select Sauté/Browning on Pressure Cooker and allow to fully heat. Add remaining 3 tablespoons of oil, garlic and half of the green onion and sauté 1 minute. (Optional: Add red flakes)

5. Add carrots and sauté for 2 more minutes.

6. Push the mixture to the edge of the pan and add beaten eggs to the center. Cook and scramble until eggs have cooked through.

7. Add in bean sprouts and cook for 1 minute.

8. Add in shrimp and toss everything together, then Lock on Lid and Close the Pressure Valve. 

9. Cook at High Pressure for 1 minute. When Beep sounds, wait 5 minutes and then release pressure. Do not turn off pot.

10. Add noodles and sauce mixture to the pot. Toss everything together and combine well. Place lid back onto Pressure Cooker, but do not lock in down. When Keep Warm time on the pot reaches 10, remove the lid and stir.

11. Squeeze fresh lime to taste along with peanuts, cilantro, more green onions. Serve and enjoy!

I used chicken, so I tossed it in early on sautee, since it needs longer to cook. Break the noodles in half, then soak for 10 minutes in hot water before adding. 

Today:  1/31/19

Amazon Deal of the Day:  https://smile.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Plus-60-Programmable/dp/B01NBKTPTS?ref=dotd_h_t&ref_=pe_837390_391659460

Instant Pot DUO Plus 60, 6 Qt 9-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilize

List Price: $129.95 
Deal of the Day: $79.99  | FREE Same-Day

On 1/28/2019 at 9:28 AM, CHIEF said:

Instant makes the best baked potato I have ever had, real light and fluffy inside. You can do 4 potatoes in about half the time it would take in a microwave.

CHIEF

I made them in the instant pot, rubbed the outside with olive oil and coarse salt then crisp up the skin a bit in the air fryer. Great bake potato. Very fluffy on the inside 

Green beans, potatoes, ham

Sauté one diced onion.

Add 1.5 pounds thick sliced ham.

Add 1 cup of chicken stock. I used some smoked turkey stock.

Mix in 1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning.

Add 1.5 pounds of trimmed green beans and 3 diced russet potatoes.

Set pressure for 8 minutes.

Quick release, stir, and eat.

Doesn’t look like much but everyone agreed it’s one of the best things to come out of the instant pot.

8e1b26e7c5a04cb97755e2684254b3d1.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

i made the carnitas in my sandwich using this copycat recipe. used the adobo from the chipotles and erred on the high side of heat with some dried japones chiles and a couple good shakes of cayenne.  sazon was goya.  the timing on that recipe seems a bit long.  next time i'll probably try 70 minutes. 

Edited by elfenix

6 hours ago, elfenix said:

i made the carnitas in my sandwich using this copycat recipe. used the adobo from the chipotles and erred on the high side of heat with some dried japones chiles and a couple good shakes of cayenne.  sazon was goya.  the timing on that recipe seems a bit long.  next time i'll probably try 70 minutes. 

Yeah carnitas is great out of the instapot. I like to crisp up the meat under the broiler right before serving. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here you go. I did mashed potatoes separately. I also let the ribs pressure cook for about 10-12 minutes longer than the recipe. They were ridiculously tender. 

6 - 10 pieces (1116g) bone-in short ribs (1.5 - 2 inches thick)

6 cloves garlic , crushed and chopped

2 (300g) small onions, sliced

2 (170g) medium carrots, chopped

2 ribs (90g) celery , chopped

½ cup (125ml) red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon)

½ cup (125ml) beef stock

2 tablespoons (30ml) balsamic vinegar

1 - 1.5 tablespoon (14-21g) brown sugar

1 tablespoon (15ml) light or regular soy sauce (not low sodium soy sauce)

1 tablespoon (15ml) fish sauce

1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil

2 bay leaves

A pinch dried thyme

Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste

Thickener:

2.5 tablespoons (22.5g) cornstarch

3 tablespoons (45ml) cold water

Instructions

Brown Short Ribs in Instant Pot: Heat up Instant Pot using Sauté More. Wait until it says HOT (prevents short ribs from sticking to the pot). Add 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil in Instant Pot. Season one side generously with salt and black pepper. Add in 5 pieces of short ribs, then brown each side for 4 minutes. While one side is browning, season the other side with more salt and black pepper.*Pro Tip: Avoid overcrowding by browning short ribs in batches.

Saute Onion & Garlic: Set aside the browned short ribs. Add in sliced onions, and saute until soften (~ 3 minutes). Add in chopped garlic, and saute until fragrant (~30 seconds).

Saute Veggies & Spices: Add in chopped carrots, celery, a pinch of dried thyme, and 2 bay leaves, then saute for 2 minutes.

Deglaze Instant Pot: Pour ½ cup (125ml) red wine in Instant Pot and deglaze by scrubbing the flavorful brown bits off the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Give it a quick mix. Let the wine simmer for a minute to allow some of the alcohol to evaporate.

Pressure Cook Short Ribs: Add 1 tbsp (15ml) light soy sauce, 1 tbsp (15ml) fish sauce, 1-1.5 tbsp (14-21g) brown sugar, 2 tbsp (30ml) balsamic vinegar, and ½ cup (125ml) unsalted chicken stock in Instant Pot. Carefully add in browned short ribs + meat juice.If you are making mashed potatoes: Cut 3 - 4 potatoes in half, then place them in a stainless steel bowl. Layer the bowl on top of the short ribs. Then, pressure cook:-With Potatoes: High Pressure 42 minutes + Natural Release 15 minutes-No Potatoes: High Pressure 45 minutes + Natural Release 15 minutes

Optional - Make Mashed Potatoes: Drain & transfer the potatoes to a larger mixing bowl. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher. Mix in 100ml whole milk and 1 – 2 tbsp (14g -28g) unsalted butter. Season to taste with salt & pepper.

Thicken & Seasonings: Carefully set aside the short ribs. Mix 2.5 tbsp (22.5g) cornstarch and 3 tbsp (45ml) cold water together in a small mixing bowl. Bring the sauce to a simmer and add the cornstarch mixture one third at a time to thicken the red wine sauce until desired thickness. Taste and season with more salt, black pepper, and brown sugar if necessary (For reference: we added 3 large pinches of salt).

Serve Short Ribs: Carefully place the short ribs back in the sauce to keep them hot. 

• Like 1

Asian Baby Back Ribs

There are several recipes on line.  Here is how I do it:

Remove the membrane from the rack of baby back ribs and cut them into individual ribs.  Season the ribs generously with Chinese five spice powder, and if you have it available, ground szechuan peppercorns.  Add 1/2 cup (or minimum amount) of water to the Instant Pot and insert metal rack and place ribs on top of rack.  Cook at high pressure for 18 minutes and let pressure reduce naturally for 10 minutes.  Release pressure and remove the ribs.

Meanwhile, make the glaze using equal parts soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and ketchup.  If you want it spicy you can add red chili paste to taste.  Brush the ribs generously with the glaze and bake at 475 for 10-15 minutes or until ribs are dark, but not burned.  Brush with more glaze before serving.

• Like 1

On those Asian Baby Backs, I forgot to say that I usually add a few tablespoons of rice vinegar to the glaze to balance out the sweetness.  And if your brush isn't getting enough of the glaze on the ribs, you can dunk them in the glaze before and/or after baking them.

On 5/9/2019 at 11:48 AM, Deej said:

Here you go. I did mashed potatoes separately. I also let the ribs pressure cook for about 10-12 minutes longer than the recipe. They were ridiculously tender. 

6 - 10 pieces (1116g) bone-in short ribs (1.5 - 2 inches thick)

6 cloves garlic , crushed and chopped

2 (300g) small onions, sliced

2 (170g) medium carrots, chopped

2 ribs (90g) celery , chopped

½ cup (125ml) red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon)

½ cup (125ml) beef stock

2 tablespoons (30ml) balsamic vinegar

1 - 1.5 tablespoon (14-21g) brown sugar

1 tablespoon (15ml) light or regular soy sauce (not low sodium soy sauce)

1 tablespoon (15ml) fish sauce

1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil

2 bay leaves

A pinch dried thyme

Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste

Thickener:

2.5 tablespoons (22.5g) cornstarch

3 tablespoons (45ml) cold water

Instructions

Brown Short Ribs in Instant Pot: Heat up Instant Pot using Sauté More. Wait until it says HOT (prevents short ribs from sticking to the pot). Add 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil in Instant Pot. Season one side generously with salt and black pepper. Add in 5 pieces of short ribs, then brown each side for 4 minutes. While one side is browning, season the other side with more salt and black pepper.*Pro Tip: Avoid overcrowding by browning short ribs in batches.

Saute Onion & Garlic: Set aside the browned short ribs. Add in sliced onions, and saute until soften (~ 3 minutes). Add in chopped garlic, and saute until fragrant (~30 seconds).

Saute Veggies & Spices: Add in chopped carrots, celery, a pinch of dried thyme, and 2 bay leaves, then saute for 2 minutes.

Deglaze Instant Pot: Pour ½ cup (125ml) red wine in Instant Pot and deglaze by scrubbing the flavorful brown bits off the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Give it a quick mix. Let the wine simmer for a minute to allow some of the alcohol to evaporate.

Pressure Cook Short Ribs: Add 1 tbsp (15ml) light soy sauce, 1 tbsp (15ml) fish sauce, 1-1.5 tbsp (14-21g) brown sugar, 2 tbsp (30ml) balsamic vinegar, and ½ cup (125ml) unsalted chicken stock in Instant Pot. Carefully add in browned short ribs + meat juice.If you are making mashed potatoes: Cut 3 - 4 potatoes in half, then place them in a stainless steel bowl. Layer the bowl on top of the short ribs. Then, pressure cook:-With Potatoes: High Pressure 42 minutes + Natural Release 15 minutes-No Potatoes: High Pressure 45 minutes + Natural Release 15 minutes

Optional - Make Mashed Potatoes: Drain & transfer the potatoes to a larger mixing bowl. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher. Mix in 100ml whole milk and 1 – 2 tbsp (14g -28g) unsalted butter. Season to taste with salt & pepper.

Thicken & Seasonings: Carefully set aside the short ribs. Mix 2.5 tbsp (22.5g) cornstarch and 3 tbsp (45ml) cold water together in a small mixing bowl. Bring the sauce to a simmer and add the cornstarch mixture one third at a time to thicken the red wine sauce until desired thickness. Taste and season with more salt, black pepper, and brown sugar if necessary (For reference: we added 3 large pinches of salt).

Serve Short Ribs: Carefully place the short ribs back in the sauce to keep them hot. 

I made this tonight, it was incredible. I did make the potatoes in the instapot and it worked really well. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Green beans, potatoes, ham

Sauté one diced onion.
Add 1.5 pounds thick sliced ham.
Add 1 cup of chicken stock. I used some smoked turkey stock.
Mix in 1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning.
Add 1.5 pounds of trimmed green beans and 3 diced russet potatoes.
Set pressure for 8 minutes.
Quick release, stir, and eat.

Doesn’t look like much but everyone agreed it’s one of the best things to come out of the instant pot.

8e1b26e7c5a04cb97755e2684254b3d1.jpg

You think this would be the same substituting ham hocks?

You think this would be the same substituting ham hocks?

I’ve done that and it’s tasty. Actually made this for lunch today. I’ve been using the the pack of honey ham pieces HEB has near the bacon. I’ve also made it enough that I’ve found that 5 minutes is perfect.

I’ve done that and it’s tasty. Actually made this for lunch today. I’ve been using the the pack of honey ham pieces HEB has near the bacon. I’ve also made it enough that I’ve found that 5 minutes is perfect.
I'm just wondering if the time is enough for the ham hocks versus ham/bacon pieces. Maybe saute the ham hocks first?

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Deej said:

Pasta turns out pretty decent in the InstantPot. 

This has not been my experience.  But I’m a bitch about over cooked pasta.  And I can’t unfuck it up once it’s in the InstaPot.  I’m also now too lazy to use my pasta maker, it seems.  But if I boil the dry store bought pasta and fuck it up, I just boil more pasta.  

What is the secret to pressure cooking pasta?  How long are your noodles under pressure, no homo?

Edited by LongestHorn

i'm mind bottled about going to all the fuss of dragging the instant pot out from the cabinet, setting it up, and then cleaning and putting it all back, when pasta is damn straight easy: boil way less water than you're lead to believe, toss in pasta, give it a hard stir or 3, put lid on, take heat off, and then let it sit for about 2-3 minutes short of whatever it says on the package.  deposit pasta and a couple few spoonfuls of pasta water into the sauce and give it another minute or two.  done.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I made this recipe this weekend and it is fucking tremendous. I've been eating off it all week, to date:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/pressure-cooker-fast-and-easy-chicken-chile-verde-recipe.html

Just really, really good solid food. And I'm not keto or anything, but it's definitely going to be a low carb recipe for this with that kind of diet. Nothing in there but veggies and chicken. I did add a bit of chicken stock to get things going, about half a quart maybe. But damn this was good. I also used chicken thighs (costco organic) over chicken breasts. 

• Like 3

Tonight, it's chicken, mushrooms and rice.

3 chicken breasts

1 can cream of mushroom

1 can chopped mushrooms

2 cups rice (brown or white)

4 cups water

salt, pepper, turmeric, Garam Masala or whatever you like apart from salt and pepper.

Pro Tip:  Before putting any ingredients into the pressure cooker, make certain the pot is in the cooker.
I hate my life.

My wife did this with rice. Didn’t realize the pot wasn’t in until she started pouring water in.

I can still shake rice out of it almost a year later.