Instant Pot Recipes

dcbc

I made this recipe this weekend and it is fucking tremendous. I've been eating off it all week, to date:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/pressure-cooker-fast-and-easy-chicken-chile-verde-recipe.html

Just really, really good solid food. And I'm not keto or anything, but it's definitely going to be a low carb recipe for this with that kind of diet. Nothing in there but veggies and chicken. I did add a bit of chicken stock to get things going, about half a quart maybe. But damn this was good. I also used chicken thighs (costco organic) over chicken breasts. 

Made this tonight. Fucking great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 11:30 AM, SydneyCarton said:

I made this recipe this weekend and it is fucking tremendous. I've been eating off it all week, to date:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/pressure-cooker-fast-and-easy-chicken-chile-verde-recipe.html

Just really, really good solid food. And I'm not keto or anything, but it's definitely going to be a low carb recipe for this with that kind of diet. Nothing in there but veggies and chicken. I did add a bit of chicken stock to get things going, about half a quart maybe. But damn this was good. I also used chicken thighs (costco organic) over chicken breasts. 

Pro tip.... Throw the peppers, tomatillos onion and limes on the grill for a bit and get a little char on them before you put them in the IP. Gives it a much more complex flavor and makes it even more kick ass. 

I probably make this 2 or 3 times a month. It's one of my family's most requested. 

i've been using the instant pot for about a month now.  some observations:

1.)  i like how it doesn't heat up my entire kitchen.  i can turn it on under the vent hood and the heat escaping is minimal compared to using my full blown range.

2.)  the time saved on stuff like spaghetti sauce, curry, stews, some soups is nice, but it takes so long to build up pressure and slow release. 

3.)  why cook stuff like pad thai, pasta, or fried rice dishes in an instant pot?  why would you make a stir fry dish in a sealed environment? 

4.)  i love how i can throw frozen meats straight into the thing.

it takes so long to build up pressure and slow release. 

Yep. You’ve got to always add 20-30 minutes for pressurization to the cooking time. Slow release is another 20-30 minutes.

The worst is when it “finishes” pressurizing and starts the timer but doesn’t actually pressurize. This has happened to me twice and I didn’t notice until I went to turn the pressure valve and the bobber was already down.

Green beans, potatoes, ham

Sauté one diced onion.
Add 1.5 pounds thick sliced ham.
Add 1 cup of chicken stock. I used some smoked turkey stock.
Mix in 1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning.
Add 1.5 pounds of trimmed green beans and 3 diced russet potatoes.
Set pressure for 8 minutes.
Quick release, stir, and eat.

Doesn’t look like much but everyone agreed it’s one of the best things to come out of the instant pot.

8e1b26e7c5a04cb97755e2684254b3d1.jpg

This was really good. So easy except for trimming the beans.
I’m loving the fuck out of the instapot.
It’s been really helpful in trying new things for dinner and gotten my kid to try new things.
a4f52c1a5c624cd362cfeadfc5fa9ce4.jpg

This was really good. So easy except for trimming the beans.

I’ve since switched to using the large prepackaged bag of French green beans so I don’t have to trim them. Just cut the bag in half long ways to get them all in half at once. Also, HEB sells a one pound package of honey ham pieces which is perfect for this.
  • Like 1

Already posted in another thread I think, but it is fucking fantastic. I brown the chicken and get some char on the peppers before throwing them in the pot. 

Serious Eats Chicken Chili Verde

Made this for the first time in over a year. So good. However, I skip the fish sauce. Did it the first time I made it and all could taste was the fish sauce. Completely ruined the fish for me.

39 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Made this for the first time in over a year. So good. However, I skip the fish sauce. Did it the first time I made it and all could taste was the fish sauce. Completely ruined the fish for me.

I don't do the fish sauce either. I do a couple squirts of soy for a little umami but I don't get along with fish sauce. Kenji puts it in everything. 

Edited by pops

Funny, everyone says boiled eggs. The one time I tried those it was sub par, eggs detach cleanly from the shells. Since I already had a pretty bulletproof egg method I never tried again. 

That green chili is seriously the fucking tits. 

Also, I’ve cooked plenty of great things in a crock pot. But now there just isn’t a point unless it’s quest or meatballs for a party. 

• 1 month later...

Cooked an Instant Pot version of this last night, and it's fucking perfect for the incoming cold weather. It turned out WAY better than I expected, mostly because vegetable soups in general to me are hard to get past a solid 6-7 in the excitement scale. No one has ever eaten a hearty vegetable soup and had their nethers tingle. That being said, this was a solid 7-7.5, which for my own personal tastes is a hell of a vegetable soup. Anyway, the recipe was more of a general guide than what I actually followed. Details below.

https://www.realfoodwithjessica.com/2019/06/30/paleo-whole30-sausage-summer-vegetable-soup/

So, my modifications here were:

Only 1 lb of italian sausage, since I only had 1 lb. But this worked out perfectly, since it's packed with flavor in every bite (the italian sausage I used really broke down well into tiny pieces and the flavor is in every bite). 
Only used 4 (2 each) zuchini and yellow squash
1 small bag of HEB organic baby carrots chopped into halves and thirds
7 cups of organic chicken stock (costco)
4 cans of organic diced tomatoes (costco)
3 small onions, diced thick
2 Green Bell Peppers (fuck that recipe)
2 red bell peppers
4-5 Generous few splashes or Lea and Perrins
2-3 Generous Splashes of Braggs Coconut Aminos
Generous (not measured, but probably a couple teaspoons) apiece of: Salt, Pepper, Italian Seasoning (dried basil, oregano, rosemary, etc), smoked paprika, red cayenne pepper

Pretty damn good and probably makes 6-8 VERY big bowls of soup. I tossed everything except the zuchini in the instant pot on manual for 7 minutes, released it, then set it to saute, threw in the zuchini and let that all boil until the zuchini was cooked, probably 10 minutes. 

Will make again. 

• Like 1

Cooked an Instant Pot version of this last night, and it's fucking perfect for the incoming cold weather. It turned out WAY better than I expected, mostly because vegetable soups in general to me are hard to get past a solid 6-7 in the excitement scale. No one has ever eaten a hearty vegetable soup and had their nethers tingle. That being said, this was a solid 7-7.5, which for my own personal tastes is a hell of a vegetable soup. Anyway, the recipe was more of a general guide than what I actually followed. Details below.
https://www.realfoodwithjessica.com/2019/06/30/paleo-whole30-sausage-summer-vegetable-soup/
So, my modifications here were:
Only 1 lb of italian sausage, since I only had 1 lb. But this worked out perfectly, since it's packed with flavor in every bite (the italian sausage I used really broke down well into tiny pieces and the flavor is in every bite). 
Only used 4 (2 each) zuchini and yellow squash
1 small bag of HEB organic baby carrots chopped into halves and thirds
7 cups of organic chicken stock (costco)
4 cans of organic diced tomatoes (costco)
3 small onions, diced thick
2 Green Bell Peppers (fuck that recipe)
2 red bell peppers
4-5 Generous few splashes or Lea and Perrins
2-3 Generous Splashes of Braggs Coconut Aminos
Generous (not measured, but probably a couple teaspoons) apiece of: Salt, Pepper, Italian Seasoning (dried basil, oregano, rosemary, etc), smoked paprika, red cayenne pepper

Pretty damn good and probably makes 6-8 VERY big bowls of soup. I tossed everything except the zuchini in the instant pot on manual for 7 minutes, released it, then set it to saute, threw in the zuchini and let that all boil until the zuchini was cooked, probably 10 minutes. 

Will make again. 

Making this tonight. Will report back...
  • Like 1

Save your bones and your veggie waste and make bone broth on a two hour pressure cook.  You’ll buy chicken stock again, but it won’t be as good as your homemade stock.

Buy chicken feet for the best bone broth.  I can’t stress this enough.  HEB sells them cheap, when they’re open.  But them in with your pork and chicken bones.  

spacer.png

Frozen gel broth is nice to have around when you need it .  It’s a good thing.  Maybe the best of things.

Freeze the bones for the next bone broth until disintegration.  Less flavorful after each use, but still getting healthy nutrients.  

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-bone-broth/

Edited by LongestHorn
Because your mother is a whore.

8 hours ago, LongestHorn said:

Frozen gel broth is nice to have around when you need it .  

I freeze my homemade broth in a muffin tin so they're half cup portions. Throw them in a gallon freezer bag so you can pull out exactly what you need. That portion size is really convenient when cooking for 1-2 and obviously scales up easily. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Made this last night.  Skyrocketed to the top of my favorite vegetarian/vegan recipes (I'm neither, but we do dabble from time to time).  Doesn't look the best, but the taste was fantastic.  I used the regular coconut milk, not the lite kind, but otherwise followed the recipe to a T.  If anything, I might go 16 mins (vs. 15 in the recipe) on high next time, especially if you like the lentils on the extra tender side.

https://www.wellplated.com/instant-pot-lentil-curry/

Easy, CREAMY Instant Pot Lentil Curry. Amazing flavors, not too spicy, and it’s hands free, vegan, and healthy! Made with green or brown lentils, Indian spices, and coconut milk.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

How long should I do a 6 lbs boneless pork but that I want to make pulled pork with for?

45 minutes, natural steam release. 

Oh, and for the record, kitchen aid stand mixer with the paddle attachment to pull the pork. Fucking game changer. 

Edited by pops

1 hour ago, Bevo VIII said:

No shit? Will try that

Yeah...just tear it into a couple of chunks first. 6 pounder will fit in the bowl easily. Add some apple cider vinegar, some rub and salt and pepper before you mix it. Pretty solid. 

You can also throw the shoulder under the broiler for a bit before you put it in the mixer to give a little texture. Won't equate bark, but i think it makes it better. 

Yeah...just tear it into a couple of chunks first. 6 pounder will fit in the bowl easily. Add some apple cider vinegar, some rub and salt and pepper before you mix it. Pretty solid. 
You can also throw the shoulder under the broiler for a bit before you put it in the mixer to give a little texture. Won't equate bark, but i think it makes it better. 

What do you use in the instant pot for seasoning? Do you season the pork but as you would prior to putting on the pit?

2 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

What do you use in the instant pot for seasoning? Do you season the pork but as you would prior to putting on the pit?

Honestly I don't find much gets into the meat in the insta pot. I might put some ACV in there and salt and pepper it but it seems like you have to do most of the seasoning after the fact. Maybe you could inject it before you put it in?

I find the insta pot to be pretty linear when it comes to flavors. I always brown or saute or char whatever I'm putting in there before I pressure cook it.