Instant Pot Recipes

dcbc

Honestly I don't find much gets into the meat in the insta pot. I might put some ACV in there and salt and pepper it but it seems like you have to do most of the seasoning after the fact. Maybe you could inject it before you put it in?
I find the insta pot to be pretty linear when it comes to flavors. I always brown or saute or char whatever I'm putting in there before I pressure cook it. 

Gotcha. I was thinking of just putting a wet rub in the instapot

Bigos:

8b392bcf1ab03c8a25bc3b6e6b50b1cb.jpg

Sweat 3 strips bacon, brown a link of sausage, brown pork leg steak, remove some fat, add some red wine to deglaze, reduce, add 1 sliced onion, cook down, add a couple tablespoons of beef base and tomato paste, 4 smashed garlic cloves, add a small chopped cabbage, 28 oz of drained sauerkraut, 14 oz drained chopped tomatoes, a very large shredded carrot, a handful dried mushrooms, a cup of chopped prunes, a tsp of allspice, a tsp of caraway seeds, add meat back in (chop up pork), cook on high pressure for 40 minutes, fast release, add kraut and tomato liquid, high for 10 minutes, fast release, serve with rye bread.

i think next time i'm going with fresh mushrooms that had the water cooked out of them as the very first step then added with the juices at the end. dried didn't quite rehydrate.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

C5BD589E-C1A5-4FEA-A7AD-DC649155417F.thumb.jpeg.596b41f527f636e96ff3536c640298f5.jpeg

Lots of good recipes thus far. You don't need an IP for this one. Any old slow cooker will do. Can't beat a whopping three ingredients either

Hadn't seen that before but I did a version the other day...

Sauteed mushrooms and diced onion.  Dusted pork chops with cajun seasoning.  Added a can of cream of mushroom soup, half a cup of chicken stock, and a few dashes of Maggi seasoning. Under pressure for 15 minutes.  Thickened the gravy with some corn starch once it was done.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 7:12 AM, elfenix said:

Bigos:

8b392bcf1ab03c8a25bc3b6e6b50b1cb.jpg

Sweat 3 strips bacon, brown a link of sausage, brown pork leg steak, remove some fat, add some red wine to deglaze, reduce, add 1 sliced onion, cook down, add a couple tablespoons of beef base and tomato paste, 4 smashed garlic cloves, add a small chopped cabbage, 28 oz of drained sauerkraut, 14 oz drained chopped tomatoes, a very large shredded carrot, a handful dried mushrooms, a cup of chopped prunes, a tsp of allspice, a tsp of caraway seeds, add meat back in (chop up pork), cook on high pressure for 40 minutes, fast release, add kraut and tomato liquid, high for 10 minutes, fast release, serve with rye bread.

i think next time i'm going with fresh mushrooms that had the water cooked out of them as the very first step then added with the juices at the end. dried didn't quite rehydrate.

I just made bigos last Sunday but it was Dutch oven. My wife and her parents were not liking it.  Too sour for them even though it was pretty standard bigos. I was sad. I had like to eat it for 4 days by myself after that. I was wanting to find an IP recipe but couldn't locate one. 

Did you eat right away or refrigerate fot a day?

ate right away.  i thought the mushrooms might continue to rehydrate and be better the next day but they were still dried apple in texture.  didn't think mine was particularly sour (kinda want it more sour, actually).  used a couple cans of generic walmart brand kraut that have been bumping around the back of the pantry for ages so maybe that had something to do with it. 

Edited by elfenix

On 7/15/2019 at 9:06 PM, LongestHorn said:

This has not been my experience.  But I’m a bitch about over cooked pasta.  And I can’t unfuck it up once it’s in the InstaPot.  I’m also now too lazy to use my pasta maker, it seems.  But if I boil the dry store bought pasta and fuck it up, I just boil more pasta.  

What is the secret to pressure cooking pasta?  How long are your noodles under pressure, no homo?

May be very late answering this but here goes. I found a good alternative online. This is only for regular pasta, not the gluten free stuff. Put one pund of pasta and 4 cups of cold water plus a inch of salt. Set to pressure cook one min for al dente, 2 for softer. Let it natural release for 5 minutes, then quick release the rest. 

Now if you are trying to cook an entire entree in there, notmsure but for just the pasta itself, this works a charm.

I made this below, tonight. Only the pasta was done in the instant pot.

20191221-195727.jpg

I was a bit lazy but the pasta(Supergreens rotini) was done in the instant pot, rest on the stovetop in T-Fal skillet. Rest is diced onion, bell pepper, crushed garlic clove, imitation crab meat, good sprinkling of Old Bay and Tajin, olive oil and lemon juice. Put skillet mixture on top of pasta, sprinkle with grated romano/parm mixture.

Edited by bamachine
  • Like 1

May be very late answering this but here goes. I found a good alternative online. This is only for regular pasta, not the gluten free stuff. Put one pund of pasta and 4 cups of cold water plus a inch of salt. Set to pressure cook one min for al dente, 2 for softer. Let it natural release for 5 minutes, then quick release the rest. 

Maybe it’s just me, but an inch of salt in your instapot seems like a lot
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Maybe it’s just me, but an inch of salt in your instapot seems like a lot

I remember when I lived in the pearl st co-op and I was in charge of a large creamy mushroom soup one evening and I put like 3 cups of salt in the pot. I swear the recipe told me to do that.....and it was so God aweful that I just went back to my room that night and didn't show my face until the next day.  

32 minutes ago, 77horn said:

Maybe this has been asked and answered here, but I didn't see it.

I got one of these things for Christmas, and I am interested in steaming veggies, etc.  Do I have to (or do you recommend) buy a steaming basket?

Yes you want to buy a basket.  Look on amazon for ones with many high reviews. 

On 6/10/2018 at 7:17 PM, CooterBrown said:

I make Chicken Tinga for work lunches.

• 5 bone in chicken breasts (Go with 8 thighs unless you need to be heart healthy like me)
  • 1 large white onion
  • 1 large can and 1 small can of chipotles in adobo
  • 6 garlic cloves
  • 2 cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes
  • 2 tsp ancho chili powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper

1. Put the Instant Pot on saute and add a Tbsp of canola oil. When hot, saute each of the chicken breasts skin side down until it's a bit browned. Remove.

2.  Add in the onion and saute. After about 5 minutes, add in the garlic and saute until everything is soft.

3. Put everything except the chicken in a blender and blend. If you're aggy, make sure you take the tomatoes and chipotles out of the can first.

4. Add the chicken back to the Instant Pot and pour the mixture on top.

5. Set the pressure for 18 minutes.  Let it natural release when done.

6. Remove the chicken, discard the skin, debone, and shred the meat. 

7. Put the meat back in back in the sauce and put it on saute, stir frequently until it thickens a bit.

It'll make 5 2-cup servings that are only around 350 calories each.  I generally mix it with a cup of riced cauliflower (50 calories). It's really filling and low calorie lunch.

Gotta give some love to this recipe. I have been doing this since you posted for the same tasty-but-sensible-meal-option reasons you posted, and it is amazing. 

Don’t have an InstaPot, thought. Just doing it old-school on the stove. 

Still freakin’ rocks, man. Well done!

Some of the first things we tried, and have repeated since:

rice - apparently I was misinformed on what rice is supposed to taste like.  This was delicious.

oatmeal - the whole oats, or old-fashioned, or whatever, not the instant kind.  Again, it might just change your thinking on oatmeal.  Make a big batch, then just scoop out smaller portions and add whatever you want.

mac and cheese - be careful about dairy in the instant pot, but find a good recipe that basically just cooks the noodles, then you add the cheese at the end.

pulled pork - sear pieces of a pork shoulder, then mix in a sauce of BBQ sauce and root beer.  Much better than it sounds, and the meat is perfect.

steamed veggies - be careful about mixing different ones.  We tried broccoli and carrots; the broccoli was done, but the carrots were still a bit crunchy and needed more time.  Use similar-density veggies or chop them up to make them more similar.

Gotta give some love to this recipe. I have been doing this since you posted for the same tasty-but-sensible-meal-option reasons you posted, and it is amazing. 

Don’t have an InstaPot, thought. Just doing it old-school on the stove. 

Still freakin’ rocks, man. Well done!

Made this tonight.
It’s fucking great but holy shit it’s spicy.

On 1/1/2020 at 12:09 AM, elfenix said:

that's a lot of chipotles for 5 chicken boobs, even with the gargantuan chicken boobs we've got nowadays.  i'd probably start with 1 small can and see how that is. 

I made it last night and did cut it back to one small can and it was still pretty great.  No idea why I used two cans back then but that's how I always did it. 

On 12/19/2019 at 12:59 PM, mr. sunshine said:

C5BD589E-C1A5-4FEA-A7AD-DC649155417F.thumb.jpeg.596b41f527f636e96ff3536c640298f5.jpeg

Lots of good recipes thus far. You don't need an IP for this one. Any old slow cooker will do. Can't beat a whopping three ingredients either

Made this tonight thanks to you. Added a can of HEB Cream of Poblano, the gravy was fucking badass. 

11 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

Did a pot roast tonight. Went with round. Don't think I'll do it again in the IP. Veggies were great but the roast was dryer than army brats mom. 

Did you let it naturally release the pressure or did you flip the valve?  Somewhere in a dark crevice of my mind I think I read that with beef if you don't let the cooker naturally release the quick change in pressure basically wrings the meat out like a sponge.  And I could be completely wrong. 

10 minutes ago, pops said:

Did you let it naturally release the pressure or did you flip the valve?  Somewhere in a dark crevice of my mind I think I read that with beef if you don't let the cooker naturally release the quick change in pressure basically wrings the meat out like a sponge.  And I could be completely wrong. 

Yeah,  10 minutes when I added the potatoes and 7 minutes when it was done. Those 3 minutes might have mattered as it a long quick release. 

That's interesting though.  Never thought of that. 

On 1/12/2020 at 8:06 AM, SydneyCarton said:

Cooking this later today. Will report back. 

https://thebetteredblondie.com/instant-pot-indian-butter-chicken-whole-30/

Pretty underwhelming. I don't know if I needed to double the coconut cream, but it's more soup than curry, and it's definitely lacking the creaminess/sweetness you come to expect. Would not make this recipe again. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hummus

Soaked a 1 lb bag of dry garbanzos overnight in salty water in the fridge.

Pressure cooked them for 25 minutes, naturally released, blended with lemon juice, garlic, then added a cup of tahini, cumin to blender using water from pressure cooker to make perfectly smooth.

Served with olive oil and paprika on top along with fresh hot naan off the skillet, also easy to make.

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-hummus/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eaa24c21a7fbae87896602a68c98e374.jpg1d8601804eab27a97e95253af57e67b5.jpg

• Like 2

Made some dirty rice, all in the pot, last week. with 1/2 ground Cajun sausage and 1/2 ground chuck. I never thought I would get tired of Cajun food until I ate it for 5 straight days. It turned out awesome...for the first 3 days. Sorry, forgot pics.

Just finished up a pot of turkey chili(yes, with beans, sue me, both black beans and kidney). It turned out awesome.

Used 1 lb ground turkey, 1 15 oz can of both black and kidney beans, drained, 2 cans 15 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes, 1 6 oz can of tomato paste, 2 cups of broth(beef, chicken or vegetable, I went with the veggie), 1 whole onion diced, 2 cloves garlic diced, 1 whole bell or poblano pepper(if you prefer, hard to find around here) diced, 1 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp black pepper freshly ground, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp chili powder, 2 tsp Tajin. You may prefer to add more or less of each of the spices.

Put pot on saute when it reaches temp, add turkey and lightly brown it mixing often. Once browned, scrape bottom with wooden spoon to make sure none sticks, add in onion and garlic, stir often for a few minutes until onions are translucent. Turn off pot, add in the rest of the ingredients, broth first, mix thoroughly, again scraping bottom of pot to make sure no stuck meat or onions, put on top, set for 5 minutes pressure cook, let it natural release for at least 10 minutes before manual release or let it fully natural release if you can wait, smelling it, that long, I could not. I chose to add fritos in my bowl, for some crunch and shredded gouda for some cheesy goodness.

spacer.png

Hopefully looks a little better than Jade's chili

spacer.png

Sorry, was too hungry from smelling it to take a pre eaten bowled picture. Just imagine a bowl of what you saw in the pot, with fritos and shredded gouda sprinkled on top.

On 1/24/2020 at 10:38 AM, Butch Had Not said:

I made tom kha gai soup last week. No specific recipe, looked at two and did a fusion between them. Turned out really good. Probably cook for a minute less or cut the chicken into larger slices as it was a little overdone. 

That is interesting, this is one of my favorite soups.  I made some the other day on the stove and it takes almost no time, I bet it took more time for the instant pot to get hot then to just make it on the stove. 

24 minutes ago, hornbri said:

That is interesting, this is one of my favorite soups.  I made some the other day on the stove and it takes almost no time, I bet it took more time for the instant pot to get hot then to just make it on the stove. 

You're probably right about cook time on stove vs IP. I've never actually made it before and looked up exclusively IP recipes. 

Wife (no pics) and I had been thinking about getting an InstantPot for a while, and seeing one marked down from $99 to $59 at Target sealed the deal. First attempt was chicken marsala:

2d0d48f1ce97ac83d4913bd94ffffc5b.jpg

Tasty and will definitely make again. My kiddo, who is firmly in the chicken nugg and mac & chee or nothing stage, even had seconds.

Dumb question amnesty from a noob, if the Surl will allow:

The recipe said to set the pot to “sauté” and wait until the display said “hot” before adding butter and browning the chicken. Which I did. Then while I was browning, the pot went back to “on” and lost heat (sizzling diminished) before taking about two minutes to get back to “hot.” Am I doing something wrong, or does the pot cycle the heat off and on?