Instant Pot Recipes

dcbc

The pot does everything it can to avoid burning your food, including removing heat. It has temp sensors all around the pot. It can even tell when you have food stuck to the pot, which would cause it to burn and ruin your dish.

Edit: Meant for @Dutch, did not know this was going to take us to a new page.

Edited by bamachine

Wife (no pics) and I had been thinking about getting an InstantPot for a while, and seeing one marked down from $99 to $59 at Target sealed the deal. First attempt was chicken marsala:

2d0d48f1ce97ac83d4913bd94ffffc5b.jpg

Tasty and will definitely make again. My kiddo, who is firmly in the chicken nugg and mac & chee or nothing stage, even had seconds.

Dumb question amnesty from a noob, if the Surl will allow:

The recipe said to set the pot to “sauté” and wait until the display said “hot” before adding butter and browning the chicken. Which I did. Then while I was browning, the pot went back to “on” and lost heat (sizzling diminished) before taking about two minutes to get back to “hot.” Am I doing something wrong, or does the pot cycle the heat off and on?

Please stop using the term “kiddo”. That’s up there with “natty” in terms of annoyance.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, bamachine said:

The pot does everything it can to avoid burning your food, including removing heat. It has temp sensors all around the pot. It can even tell when you have food stuck to the pot, which would cause it to burn and ruin your dish.

Edit: Meant for @Dutch, did not know this was going to take us to a new page.

It's honestly the only thing I don't like about the instant pot. Unless it is just garlic or maybe a small shallot, I do all the browning in a separate pan on the stove. 

I just don't think the domed shape of the bottom of the pot as well as the lack of heat leads to much color. 

Yeah I get that takes away from the simplicity and maybe the point of the pot but it improves the food enough that it is worth it to me. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, pops said:

I just don't think the domed shape of the bottom of the pot as well as the lack of heat leads to much color. 

I think you might be falling victim to what happened to me. 

When you turn on the sautee function, you can hit the +/- buttons to adjust the heat. I didn't realize that for a bit and was disappointed that I could not properly sautee garlic. Once I learned, I turned it up to high and never have an issue now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Orange&White said:

When you turn on the sautee function, you can hit the +/- buttons to adjust the heat. I didn't realize that for a bit and was disappointed that I could not properly sautee garlic. Once I learned, I turned it up to high and never have an issue now.

This, except on mine I think you hit sautee again to change the heat setting.

Made a keeper last night. No pics.

Lemon-Garlic Chicken

• 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut in half
  • 1 half onion roughly chopped
  • 6 cloves of garlic roughly chopped
  • zest and juice of 2 lemons
  • 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 3/4 cup water and 1 Tbsp Better than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base (or 3/4 cup chicken stock)
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • salt
  • pepper
  • garlic powder
  • onion powder
  • olive oil
  • chopped parsley

1. Dust thighs liberally with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. 

2. Put IP on Saute add a bit of olive oil and saute thighs until brown. Remove thighs to a plate.

3. Add onion, garlic, and sautee for a minute. 

4. Add butter and water and roasted chicken base (or chicken stock) to deglaze pot.  Get the roasted chicken base. It has a deep and rich umami flavor. Much better than stock. 

5. Add lemon zest/juice, Italian seasoning, and thighs.  Mix to coat.

6. Set pressure for 10 minutes.  Manual release when done.

7. Set to saute and add a corn starch/cold water slurry to thicken. Taste for salt.  Top with parsley for serving if you like.

Kids had it with spaghetti. Adults had it with a sweet potato on the side.

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

to answer an earlier question about what this really is, and whether one should get one, etc:

-if you dont have a pressure cooker, definitely get this thing

-if you have a pressure cooker, maybe get this thing

-if you only have a crockpot/slowcooker, definitely get this thing.  they're complete different devices

compared to a traditional pressure cooker, this thing is (1) easier to clean (because you just remove the sleeve and wipe down the machine, whereas the pot and lid of the pressure cooker is bulker) (2) has built-in timer (3) automatic management of pressure - which is probably the biggest advantage.  

the preset modes for rice and stews and cassoulets and roux are like the 99 modes on your blender - functionally useless.

i set saute mode on high, and measured 200*C before i started cooking in it.  thats beyond smoking point of olive oil, so its plenty hot for browning.  its not great for browning however because the bottom is sloped and oils/fats run off to the side (they cant transfer heat to the food), and also the sheer shape of the thing makes it awkward to handle.  thats why people saute in wide pots instead of tall ones. 

problem i have is of counterspace and i dont know if it does rice as well as the zojirushi to dethrone that one for my countertop appliance. 

http://www.thedefineddish.com/instant-pot-texas-style-brisket-tacos/

This recipe made up for some of the recent dishes that lacked flavor. My biggest gripe against the instant pot is it does not develop flavor near as good as the crock pot does.

I followed directions close with the exception of the spices (I could not find exactly what it called for) so I went with equal parts chipotle powder, chili powder and cumin. Probably 40 - 50% more then recipe called for. They were glorious. The liquids ratio was perfect. Flavor was spot on. Tossed a little sliced poblano and onion in the IP as well before pressure cooking. Sautéd the vast majority of the onion and poblano in cast iron.

Garnished with Cilantro, Avocado and queso blanco

Will make again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last night I made a great batch of Mexican rice that I’ve never really been able to perfect on the stove. 

Rinse 1 cup of white rice

Sautee mode - High - 2 tablespoons canola oil. Toast rice, throw in a couple dashes of cumin, slightly toast the cumin once rice is toasted. Add like 1/2 a teaspoon each of salt, pepper, chili powder and paprika. Stir and let those seasonings bind to the rice. 

Throw in 1 1/2 cups of water with a caldo de tomate mixed in by heating in the microwave. Add a small can of green chili’s. Cook on highest rice setting completely sealed with vent closed (it’s like 12 minutes) let de-pressure naturally for 5 minutes, then manually release pressure. I was drunk when I made it, but I’m pretty positive this is how I did. I’m gonna be pissed if I can’t replicate it.   

I attempted to make this with chili verde in the instant pot. Unfortunately, the pork did not turn out how I wanted it to. 

15 minutes ago, huge said:

58ab007304f40fd2070687ffa3c8fb66.jpg

Made the chile verde recommended by that known poof@sydneycarton

It was my first use of my instapot. He should feel flattered.

Next time I will use at least a whole garlic and quadruple the cumin instead of double. And maybe leave in some Serrano seeds. Needed a little more kick.

Ha. But other than the blandness, what did you think?

Since my palette is much less developed than yours, kind sir, I was happy spicing it up after the fact. Yellowbird's Serrano sauce was a wonderful addition. 

brown 3 lb chuck roast with garlic cloves stuck in it, remove

add sliced onion, diced carrot, and diced celery, stir to deglaze

add 2 tsp beef base, 1 tsp chicken base, cayenne, thyme, and black pepper

add 2 cups of water, add meat back in

pressure for 55 minutes, natural release for 15

pull meat, reduce liquid by half.  i cheated and also added a gelatin packet (i'm out of cornstarch). 

blitz liquid + veg with stick blender.  put meat back in gravy.

make po boy

027a606afc0ab7c216fbdb18115e7b24.jpg

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, huge said:

58ab007304f40fd2070687ffa3c8fb66.jpg

Made the chile verde recommended by that known poof@sydneycarton

It was my first use of my instapot. He should feel flattered.

Next time I will use at least a whole garlic and quadruple the cumin instead of double. And maybe leave in some Serrano seeds. Needed a little more kick.

Not IP because I don't think it can do Chile verde justice but absolutely blown away with this one on the stove top. The reduction is key to create the amazing sauce consistency. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ha. But other than the blandness, what did you think?

Since my palette is much less developed than yours, kind sir, I was happy spicing it up after the fact. Yellowbird's Serrano sauce was a wonderful addition. 

Oh it wasn't bland, I just wanted more business end.

And I liked it a lot.  And added Yucateca XXX.  

What should I cook next?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

Anyone getting a metallic taste from the IP? Gave old one to my son. Old one never had a problem. Got new larger one and it has a definite metallic taste to everything. 

That's the coronavirus you're tasting.

Pressure cooking and this stuff play well together for richer flavors.  I had been using the beef, but their roasted garlic is also excellent when combined with beef or chicken bouillon.  To say nothing of upping your garlic bread game.  Must Recommend.
spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Pressure cooking and this stuff play well together for richer flavors.  I had been using the beef, but their roasted garlic is also excellent when combined with beef or chicken bouillon.  To say nothing of upping your garlic bread game.  Must Recommend.
235615-600x600-A.jpg

I use those all the time. Make sure to cut down on salt though. They are salty AF.

Made our first meal in the brand new instant pot. Decided to make the chicken tikka masala recipe listed near the top of the thread. Very solid results and it was fairly easy to make. Pretty fired up about what this appliance can do to mix up the meal rotation.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, huge said:

I do a brisket or a small pork butt once a week for leftovers.

Love the IP

Yeah I just tossed up 8 basic chicken breasts for shredding. Will make 2-3 other recipes with it. Brisket isn’t a bad idea. You know when even shitty. Ridley tastes amazing? On bfast tacos. 

• 10 months later...
Got the kids solo next week.  They would love this.  Recipe?

let the ribs pressure cook for about 10-12 minutes longer than the recipe. They were ridiculously tender.

6 - 10 pieces (1116g) bone-in short ribs (1.5 - 2 inches thick)

6 cloves garlic , crushed and chopped

2 (300g) small onions, sliced

2 (170g) medium carrots, chopped

2 ribs (90g) celery , chopped

½ cup (125ml) red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon)

½ cup (125ml) beef stock

2 tablespoons (30ml) balsamic vinegar

1 - 1.5 tablespoon (14-21g) brown sugar

1 tablespoon (15ml) light or regular soy sauce (not low sodium soy sauce)

1 tablespoon (15ml) fish sauce

1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil

2 bay leaves

A pinch dried thyme

Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste

Thickener:

2.5 tablespoons (22.5g) cornstarch

3 tablespoons (45ml) cold water

Instructions

Brown Short Ribs in Instant Pot: Heat up Instant Pot using Sauté More. Wait until it says HOT (prevents short ribs from sticking to the pot). Add 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil in Instant Pot. Season one side generously with salt and black pepper. Add in 5 pieces of short ribs, then brown each side for 4 minutes. While one side is browning, season the other side with more salt and black pepper.*Pro Tip: Avoid overcrowding by browning short ribs in batches.

Saute Onion & Garlic: Set aside the browned short ribs. Add in sliced onions, and saute until soften (~ 3 minutes). Add in chopped garlic, and saute until fragrant (~30 seconds).

Saute Veggies & Spices: Add in chopped carrots, celery, a pinch of dried thyme, and 2 bay leaves, then saute for 2 minutes.

Deglaze Instant Pot: Pour ½ cup (125ml) red wine in Instant Pot and deglaze by scrubbing the flavorful brown bits off the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Give it a quick mix. Let the wine simmer for a minute to allow some of the alcohol to evaporate.

Pressure Cook Short Ribs: Add 1 tbsp (15ml) light soy sauce, 1 tbsp (15ml) fish sauce, 1-1.5 tbsp (14-21g) brown sugar, 2 tbsp (30ml) balsamic vinegar, and ½ cup (125ml) unsalted chicken stock in Instant Pot. Carefully add in browned short ribs + meat juice.If you are making mashed potatoes: Cut 3 - 4 potatoes in half, then place them in a stainless steel bowl. Layer the bowl on top of the short ribs. Then, pressure cook:-With Potatoes: High Pressure 42 minutes + Natural Release 15 minutes-No Potatoes: High Pressure 45 minutes + Natural Release 15 minutes

Optional - Make Mashed Potatoes: Drain & transfer the potatoes to a larger mixing bowl. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher. Mix in 100ml whole milk and 1 – 2 tbsp (14g -28g) unsalted butter. Season to taste with salt & pepper.

Thicken & Seasonings: Carefully set aside the short ribs. Mix 2.5 tbsp (22.5g) cornstarch and 3 tbsp (45ml) cold water together in a small mixing bowl. Bring the sauce to a simmer and add the cornstarch mixture one third at a time to thicken the red wine sauce until desired thickness. Taste and season with more salt, black pepper, and brown sugar if necessary (For reference: we added 3 large pinches of salt).

Serve Short Ribs: Carefully place the short ribs back in the sauce to keep them hot.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

let the ribs pressure cook for about 10-12 minutes longer than the recipe. They were ridiculously tender.

6 - 10 pieces (1116g) bone-in short ribs (1.5 - 2 inches thick)

6 cloves garlic , crushed and chopped

2 (300g) small onions, sliced

2 (170g) medium carrots, chopped

2 ribs (90g) celery , chopped

½ cup (125ml) red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon)

½ cup (125ml) beef stock

2 tablespoons (30ml) balsamic vinegar

1 - 1.5 tablespoon (14-21g) brown sugar

1 tablespoon (15ml) light or regular soy sauce (not low sodium soy sauce)

1 tablespoon (15ml) fish sauce

1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil

2 bay leaves

A pinch dried thyme

Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste

Thickener:

2.5 tablespoons (22.5g) cornstarch

3 tablespoons (45ml) cold water

Instructions

Brown Short Ribs in Instant Pot: Heat up Instant Pot using Sauté More. Wait until it says HOT (prevents short ribs from sticking to the pot). Add 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil in Instant Pot. Season one side generously with salt and black pepper. Add in 5 pieces of short ribs, then brown each side for 4 minutes. While one side is browning, season the other side with more salt and black pepper.*Pro Tip: Avoid overcrowding by browning short ribs in batches.

Saute Onion & Garlic: Set aside the browned short ribs. Add in sliced onions, and saute until soften (~ 3 minutes). Add in chopped garlic, and saute until fragrant (~30 seconds).

Saute Veggies & Spices: Add in chopped carrots, celery, a pinch of dried thyme, and 2 bay leaves, then saute for 2 minutes.

Deglaze Instant Pot: Pour ½ cup (125ml) red wine in Instant Pot and deglaze by scrubbing the flavorful brown bits off the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Give it a quick mix. Let the wine simmer for a minute to allow some of the alcohol to evaporate.

Pressure Cook Short Ribs: Add 1 tbsp (15ml) light soy sauce, 1 tbsp (15ml) fish sauce, 1-1.5 tbsp (14-21g) brown sugar, 2 tbsp (30ml) balsamic vinegar, and ½ cup (125ml) unsalted chicken stock in Instant Pot. Carefully add in browned short ribs + meat juice.If you are making mashed potatoes: Cut 3 - 4 potatoes in half, then place them in a stainless steel bowl. Layer the bowl on top of the short ribs. Then, pressure cook:-With Potatoes: High Pressure 42 minutes + Natural Release 15 minutes-No Potatoes: High Pressure 45 minutes + Natural Release 15 minutes

Optional - Make Mashed Potatoes: Drain & transfer the potatoes to a larger mixing bowl. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher. Mix in 100ml whole milk and 1 – 2 tbsp (14g -28g) unsalted butter. Season to taste with salt & pepper.

Thicken & Seasonings: Carefully set aside the short ribs. Mix 2.5 tbsp (22.5g) cornstarch and 3 tbsp (45ml) cold water together in a small mixing bowl. Bring the sauce to a simmer and add the cornstarch mixture one third at a time to thicken the red wine sauce until desired thickness. Taste and season with more salt, black pepper, and brown sugar if necessary (For reference: we added 3 large pinches of salt).

Serve Short Ribs: Carefully place the short ribs back in the sauce to keep them hot.

Do not omit the fish sauce. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Easy chicken tacos I’ve been doing:

Chicken breasts, 1/2 cup chicken broth, can of Rotel and taco seasoning packet. 

High for 12 minutes then manual pressure release. Shred the chicken and dump it back in to soak up the juices. 

Sounds perfect -- fast and easy.  What's the quantity you're using on the chicken breasts?  

On 1/27/2020 at 11:42 AM, Orange&White said:

huh did not know, thanks.

• Hook 'Em 1