Instant Pot Recipes

dcbc

Have several go-tos on this, but this is a new one, and my kitchen smells amazing.

Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala (Pressure Cooker)

Most popular chicken tikka masala recipe, adapted for a pressure cooker like the Instant Pot.

Prep Time 1 hour, 20 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Servings 4 servings
Calories 460 kcal

Ingredients

For marinating the chicken:

• 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts about 2, chopped into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 cup plain 2% fat greek yogurt 7 ounces
  • 1 tablespoon garam masala
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

For the sauce:

For serving:

Instructions

1. Marinating the chicken: Combine all marinade ingredients (minus the chicken) in a bowl and mix well. Add chicken chunks and coat with the marinade. Let sit in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
  2. Pressure cooker saute mode: Select the saute mode on the pressure cooker for medium heat. When it has reached temperature, add chicken chunks (along with any marinade sticking to them) to the pressure cooker. Saute until the chicken is cooked on all sides, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off the saute mode.
  3. Pressure cooker high pressure mode: Add all of the sauce ingredients except the cream to the pressure cooker, over the chicken, and stir. Secure and seal the lid. Select the manual mode to cook for 10 minutes at high pressure. Use the quick steam release handle to release pressure.
  4. Pressure cooker saute mode: Select the saute mode on the pressure cooker for low heat. When it has reached temperature, add cream to the pot, stirring with the other ingredients. Simmer until the sauce is thickened to your liking, a few minutes.
  5. Serving: Serve with basmati rice or naan. Garnish with cilantro.

Nutrition Notes

This recipe yields 12.5 g net carbs per serving. Nutrition information does not include rice or naan.

Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 460  
Total Fat 27g 41%
   Saturated Fat 17g 85%
   Trans Fat 0g  
Cholesterol 171mg 57%
Sodium 970mg 40%
Potassium 320mg 9%
Total Carb 19g 6%
   Dietary Fiber 6.5g 26%
   Sugars 6g  
Protein 32g  
Vitamin A 40% · Vitamin C 33% · Calcium 7% · Iron 10%
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

https://www.thepinningmama.com/instant-pot-creamy-tomato-soup/

This soup is fairly good.  Subscribed, need to try that tikka marsala

Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Basil Soup

author kimber

Ingredients

• 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1 tbsp crushed garlic
  • 1 14 oz can of chicken broth, or 2 cups
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 1/3 cup butter, cut into 1/2" cubes
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 15-20 basil leaves -OR- 1 Tbsp dried basil leaves

Instructions

1. Pour the tomatoes, broth, and garlic into the Instant Pot bowl. If you are using dried basil, also add it now. Then close the lid and set on Soup mode and reduce the cooking time to 20 minutes. If using a different pressure cooker brand, then set to pressure cook for 20 minutes.
  2. When it is done, release the pressure and stir in the sugar then stir in the butter and stir continuously until melted and well combined.
  3. Next stir continuously while pouring in the heavy cream very slowly. Continue to mix until it is incorporated throughout. If you are using fresh basil stir in the basil now.
  4. Serve hot, topped with a dollop of pesto, croutons and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
  • Like 2

I make Chicken Tinga for work lunches.

• 5 bone in chicken breasts (Go with 8 thighs unless you need to be heart healthy like me)
  • 1 large white onion
  • 1 large can and 1 small can of chipotles in adobo
  • 6 garlic cloves
  • 2 cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes
  • 2 tsp ancho chili powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper

1. Put the Instant Pot on saute and add a Tbsp of canola oil. When hot, saute each of the chicken breasts skin side down until it's a bit browned. Remove.

2.  Add in the onion and saute. After about 5 minutes, add in the garlic and saute until everything is soft.

3. Put everything except the chicken in a blender and blend. If you're aggy, make sure you take the tomatoes and chipotles out of the can first.

4. Add the chicken back to the Instant Pot and pour the mixture on top.

5. Set the pressure for 18 minutes.  Let it natural release when done.

6. Remove the chicken, discard the skin, debone, and shred the meat. 

7. Put the meat back in back in the sauce and put it on saute, stir frequently until it thickens a bit.

It'll make 5 2-cup servings that are only around 350 calories each.  I generally mix it with a cup of riced cauliflower (50 calories). It's really filling and low calorie lunch.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Three thick cut boneless chops,  spinkled with Garam Masala and salt.  Browned 2 minutes on each side in ghee on the saute/brown setting.  Had some Fredericksburg peaches in the freezer.  Thawed and poured about a can's worth on top of the chops and then pressurized all of it for 18 minutes.   Damn juicy and easy chops.  

My fave so far is the butter chicken, but the chicken in red chile sauce is pretty kicking. 

• 3 weeks later...

I usually buy a Butterball Turkey breast netted once a month.  great for dinners and sandwiches.  I decided to try pressure cooking it.  55 min cooking, 20 min release time.  

I tried to follow this: https://easyfamilyrecipes.com/pressure-cooker-turkey-breast/

I went with what I had today.  I used the rest of my Better Than Bullion with some water and a teaspoon of the chopped garlic jar, cut up an onion (I didn't have celery), S&P.  Put that in the bottom of the pan and put it on Poultry 55 min.  Oh the recipe called for Lemons on top.  I didn't have those, so I sprinkled some lemon pepper on the breast with more pepper and salt. (I would admit the lemon, I didn't like the lemon taste.)

Took the breast out of the freezer, opened it.  Did the usual running warm water over it to disconnect the gravy packet.  Re Adjusted the netting (important or the turkey usually stays connected to it when you remove it later.)  

I couldn't find my rack, so I did the balling of foil trick and placed the turkey on top of the three balls out of the liquid.

Took it out, set the pot on saute, added some flour water to thicken the gravy.

Made some wild rice and a can of green beans.  

It was nice and juicy. More so than when I usually roast it for 2.5 - 3 hrs. 

4e7e1233e27957298c4439d7d667d1a1.jpg06caf9ff526fa0362d79b59b0e104b02.jpgc2edb2a42ced873179ad86bc04c95048.jpgb11939543b03bd39cacfe92595130aed.jpg323520d3035a2bc241e97351df9d276e.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I may have posted this on previous threads, but I made it again last night and it was good enough that I think it's worth posting again.

I make this in an 8 qt Instant Pot. You can make it in a 6 qt pot, but you'll probably need to move it to a larger bowl/pot after it is cooked and you need just need to fold in the spinach.

Mushroom Risotto

INGREDIENTS:

1 stick unsalted butter, cut in half

6 cloves garlic, minced

1 onion, diced

12 ounces various mushrooms, variously sized slices

Salt and white pepper, to taste

2 cups chicken stock

1 cup arborio rice (don't substitute other rice)

6 sprigs fresh thyme (or ½ Tblsp dried thyme)

4 cups FRESH baby spinach

3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed

3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan

DIRECTIONS:

Set Instant Pot to the high saute setting.

Melt ½ stick of butter; add garlic and onion, and cook, stirring often, until onions have become translucent, about 5-7 minutes.

Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8-10 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Stir in chicken broth, rice and thyme.

Select manual setting; adjust pressure to high, and set time for 6 minutes.

When finished cooking, allow pressure to release naturally.

Stir in spinach and remaining 2 tablespoons butter until the spinach has wilted, about 2 minutes.

Stir in peas and Parmesan until heated through, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.

Serve immediately.

IF YOU LIKE VENISON STEAK.....

Description

This recipe makes the most juicy and fall off the bone tender venison steak in only two hours!

Ingredients

• 2-5 pounds of frozen bone-in venison steaks
  • 2-5 Tablespoons of onion soup mix or favorite seasoning (1 Tablespoon per pound)
  • 1 – 14.5 oz. can of beef broth
  1. 1. Remove butcher paper or plastic wrapping from frozen venison and place inside the pot.
  2. 2. Sprinkle over one Tablespoon of onion soup mix per pound of meat.
  3. 3. Pour one 14.5 oz. can of quality beef broth into the inner pot and lock the lid.
  4. 4. Press the “Manual” button using high pressure and set the time for 90 minutes.
  5. 5. When the 90 minutes are up, allow the instant pot to come to natural pressure release.
  6. 6. When the float valve drops, open the lid and remove the meat.
  7. 7. Serve alongside roasted vegetables or your favorite sides.

Not quite on topic, but I didn't find an alternative thread:  I'd like to buy an Instant pot for my family to give me for Christmas (because at this point I really don't want them spending my money on shit I don't want #scrooge).  I don't think I mind the most stripped-down model.  What are the "must have" functions, and how big a cooker should I get if I routinely prepare meals for 4-5 average eaters?

6 quart is perfect for 4 and will usually leave leftovers. I'd just go with the regular version.  However,  the Lux version (IIRC, that's what it's called) allows you purchase a sous vide insert and use it as a sous vide machine.  The Lux version has been on sale at Target for $60 and is cheaper than the regular version. We bought it for my parents.

Edited by CooterBrown

One of their competitors (Cosori) has 6 different pressure settings.  Is that overkill?  Even though they are reviewed as being the same quality at a slightly lower price, I'm leery of having to adjust recipes.

The Duo seems to offer "yogurt maker" above the Lux, which means absolutely nothing to me.  Sounds like your call on the Lux might be right if they're the same in other respects.

On 6/9/2018 at 8:05 PM, dcbc said:

Have several go-tos on this, but this is a new one, and my kitchen smells amazing.

Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala (Pressure Cooker)

Most popular chicken tikka masala recipe, adapted for a pressure cooker like the Instant Pot.

Prep Time 1 hour, 20 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Servings 4 servings
Calories 460 kcal

Ingredients

For marinating the chicken:

• 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts about 2, chopped into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 cup plain 2% fat greek yogurt 7 ounces
  • 1 tablespoon garam masala
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

For the sauce:

For serving:

Instructions

1. Marinating the chicken: Combine all marinade ingredients (minus the chicken) in a bowl and mix well. Add chicken chunks and coat with the marinade. Let sit in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
  2. Pressure cooker saute mode: Select the saute mode on the pressure cooker for medium heat. When it has reached temperature, add chicken chunks (along with any marinade sticking to them) to the pressure cooker. Saute until the chicken is cooked on all sides, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off the saute mode.
  3. Pressure cooker high pressure mode: Add all of the sauce ingredients except the cream to the pressure cooker, over the chicken, and stir. Secure and seal the lid. Select the manual mode to cook for 10 minutes at high pressure. Use the quick steam release handle to release pressure.
  4. Pressure cooker saute mode: Select the saute mode on the pressure cooker for low heat. When it has reached temperature, add cream to the pot, stirring with the other ingredients. Simmer until the sauce is thickened to your liking, a few minutes.
  5. Serving: Serve with basmati rice or naan. Garnish with cilantro.

Nutrition Notes

This recipe yields 12.5 g net carbs per serving. Nutrition information does not include rice or naan.

Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 460  
Total Fat 27g 41%
   Saturated Fat 17g 85%
   Trans Fat 0g  
Cholesterol 171mg 57%
Sodium 970mg 40%
Potassium 320mg 9%
Total Carb 19g 6%
   Dietary Fiber 6.5g 26%
   Sugars 6g  
Protein 32g  
Vitamin A 40% · Vitamin C 33% · Calcium 7% · Iron 10%

I made this tonight in my pressure cooker for the first time.  Thanks for the idea.  I elected to use chicken thighs because I'm a cheap bastard and although it is a pain in the ass to pull the thighs out, pull the bones, and toss them back in the sauce, I like the shredded chicken effect as opposed to the chunks.  Do not forget the cup of heavy whipping cream.  I served it with basmati rice.  BTW, HEB sells the big ass bag of garam masala for like $4.  I don't believe I will use all of it in my lifetime, but I will be making it again.

Marinating

bc346a4d-a19a-487a-8594-6290e1137960-ori

cfa320aa-8506-4088-83a3-e3e0361da2f8-ori

I have so much Garam Masala from that bag, a recycled parmesan cheese container would not hold it all, for fucks sake.

b638ce76-fd00-4674-85e5-9a3985088174-ori

Not shown there is the minced garlic from the jar.  I like garlic.  I mixed it up in the tomato sauce before pouring over chicken in pressure cooker.

8b986815-76c3-444f-88b5-a5d2e55d2b5a-ori

It was spicy heat and tasty with rice.  Will freeze leftovers and buy naan.  

896e28ea-b311-4b11-98a3-410635a4538e-ori

2fd62e90-4f05-4800-b7f8-551116aa66a5-ori

• Like 4

Man, that looks tasty.

Regarding Garam Masala & other spices:  check the bulk jars at HEB or Central Market.  Most items are priced in the $0.40 - $0.50 per ounce range.  Might be a little more than you'd pay per ounce for that giant bag, but you can just buy a few tablespoons (or however much you need).  Bonus:  it's less likely to go bad on you.

I did a 5# pork butt Jamaican jerk style yesterday and it came out fantastic.

bought a $3 bottle of jerk marinade and started that on Wednesday with some mango/pineapple juice. Browned the pork on Thursday night. Friday morning rubbed it with 8oz of hot jerk spice from central market bulk area. 

Put it in the pot on the trivet Friday morning with 2 cups pineapple mango juice and did a medium slow cook for 8 hours. Got home and did 30 minutes pressure cook. Shredded up perfectly And was as moist as South Austin’s mom.

Served with fried plantains and an avocado/mango/habenro relish, black beans and corn tortillas. Had Red Stripe and some fancy rum drink that the lady concocted. It was one of the the best total responses to a meal I can remember having in a long time.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Carne Guisada

Ingredients:

• HEB preseasoned Carne Guisada pack
  • container of HEB hot pico
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • Tortillas

1. Saute meat.

2. Dump in water and pico.

3. Set pressure for 25 minutes.

4. Quick release, check for tenderness. Feel free to add time if you need to.

5. When done, put on saute and dump in a corn starch slurry to thicken.

6. Make a taco. Eat taco.

Gumbo for the Holidays, using Instant Pot Duo, 6 quart.   I combined two recipes: the tried and true Emeril (who draws from Paul Prudhomme, R.I.P.) for the roux directions, and for the ingredients and the sequencing of ingredients. Second recipe came from an online Instant Pot random find.    The saute temp was a little too low for the roux.  But I later discovered I could hit the saute button twice, to increase the temp.  No time time nor energy to make Emeril's chicken stock, but will do so later, to keep around as a staple.   Okra has to go in after pressure cooking, on a quick, high temp saute setting that heats up quickly and bubbly, with the double hit of the button..   I cooked the rice on standard stove top.  Organic Brown Basmati.     I used 4 quarts of liquid.  Less would be better.  There's no shrinkage.  

.Truth told, it's not Louis gumbo, this first time with Instant Pot,  because of the saute heat for the roux, but (1) I can continue tweaking it, and (2) a cold front came in and this gumbo hits the spot. 

https://emerils.com/129273/chicken-and-andouille-gumbo

https://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/instant-pot-gumbo/

Got one of these for Christmas, and don't have any real experience with a pressure cooker, so subscribed.

Any recommendations on black-eyed pea recipes?  I have a ham bone left from Christmas, so I thought that might be a good first attempt with this thing.

On 12/29/2018 at 3:34 PM, Pope Joan said:

Gumbo for the Holidays, using Instant Pot Duo, 6 quart.   I combined two recipes: the tried and true Emeril (who draws from Paul Prudhomme, R.I.P.) for the roux directions, and for the ingredients and the sequencing of ingredients. Second recipe came from an online Instant Pot random find.    The saute temp was a little too low for the roux.  But I later discovered I could hit the saute button twice, to increase the temp.  No time time nor energy to make Emeril's chicken stock, but will do so later, to keep around as a staple.   Okra has to go in after pressure cooking, on a quick, high temp saute setting that heats up quickly and bubbly, with the double hit of the button..   I cooked the rice on standard stove top.  Organic Brown Basmati.     I used 4 quarts of liquid.  Less would be better.  There's no shrinkage.  

.Truth told, it's not Louis gumbo, this first time with Instant Pot,  because of the saute heat for the roux, but (1) I can continue tweaking it, and (2) a cold front came in and this gumbo hits the spot. 

https://emerils.com/129273/chicken-and-andouille-gumbo

https://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/instant-pot-gumbo/

you can also just take the inner pot out and put it on the stove.

edit years later: don't do this unless you have the new ones that are specifically made to go on the stove.  with the regular one the stove can warp it and then it doesn't work. 

Edited by elfenix

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Instant pot being delivered today. Better late than never. Can't wait to try it out

Love this thing so much we now have two (a 6-quart and a 3-quart). My wife rolled her eyes when I first told her about it, but once we got it and she used it, it's now her favorite way to make meals. So much so, that we bought a Mini so that she could make two things at once (the small one quite often used for rice.)

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 12:11 PM, pops said:
One tip is I rarely use the saute feature. Just can't put out enough heat to really brown any protiens. I always brown the meat on the stove then throw it in. Makes for a better end product. 

Take the inner pot out and out it on the stove. Then you don't dirty 2 pots.

edit years later: don't do this unless you have the new ones that are specifically made to go on the stove.  with the regular one the stove can warp it and then it doesn't work. 

Edited by elfenix

8 minutes ago, elfenix said:
28 minutes ago, pops said:
One tip is I rarely use the saute feature. Just can't put out enough heat to really brown any protiens. I always brown the meat on the stove then throw it in. Makes for a better end product. 

I saw on Amazon where the support folks at the manufacturer say you shouldn't do that. Will it be ok? Maybe.

19 minutes ago, elfenix said:
40 minutes ago, pops said:

Certainly an option and I've tried it but for me it is just easier to use a dedicated pan and deal with the cleanup. 0

1 hour ago, pops said:

Have you adjusted it to the highest setting? I didn’t realize that the sauté function had three setttings and really only the highest one is hot enough to actually sauté on.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SurlyORama said:

I saw on Amazon where the support folks at the manufacturer say you shouldn't do that. Will it be ok? Maybe.

interesting.  i remember reading on instantpot's faq page that you could.  maybe people did it and they decided to change the answer

1 hour ago, Orange&White said:

Have you adjusted it to the highest setting? I didn’t realize that the sauté function had three setttings and really only the highest one is hot enough to actually sauté on.

Not sure. Will check. Shape of the bottom of the pot still makes it less than ideal to sauté, but thanks for the tip. 

• 2 weeks later...