Instant Pot Recipes

dcbc

11 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Bumping this thread as I got one for Christmas.   Need some recipes 

NSIAP.  This has been our go-to recipe for years.  Enjoy the new appliance.  They are really handy.

Tuscan Lamb Shanks with White Beans

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/tuscan-lamb-shanks-with-white-beans-350883

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

NSIAP.  This has been our go-to recipe for years.  Enjoy the new appliance.  They are really handy.

Tuscan Lamb Shanks with White Beans

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/tuscan-lamb-shanks-with-white-beans-350883

I assume you do not put the instant pot in the sink and run water over it to depressurize, right?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I assume you do not put the instant pot in the sink and run water over it to depressurize, right?

That's funny!  We've made this recipe a dozen times over the past 10 years or so and never read down that far. I almost always use natural pressure release on meat or when I make stock in mine.  One of the things about the stove-top or electric pressure cookers and those now branded as instant pots is that you need to make cooking time allowances in the recipes.  Stove-top pressure cookers have higher pressure (hence shorter cooking times) than most electric pressure cookers or instant pots.  We tend to add four or five minutes to recipes originally designed for stove-tops.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

That's funny!  We've made this recipe a dozen times over the past 10 years or so and never read down that far. I almost always use natural pressure release on meat or when I make stock in mine.  One of the things about the stove-top or electric pressure cookers and those now branded as instant pots is that you need to make cooking time allowances in the recipes.  Stove-top pressure cookers have higher pressure (hence shorter cooking times) than most electric pressure cookers or instant pots.  We tend to add four or five minutes to recipes originally designed for stove-tops.

That's interesting.  We have an old stove-top one that I used to use for canning starter worts for beer.  That process always seemed more terrifying.

That recipe looks good though.

Edited by dcbc

this is a two pot b/c:

2 bunches collards
1 pound black eye peas
1 large onion
4 romas
2-3 jalapenos
1/2 bulb garlic
smoked sausage
4 strips bacon
couple-few carrots
paprika, thyme, cayenne, salt, pepper
chicken stock/base
some of whatever beer you're drinking

in separate pot on the stove brown meat, then put in instapot with chicken stock/base and beer and rinsed/sorted peas, set pot for high pressure for 10 minutes

back on the stove deglaze with onions and some beer, then add in spices, carrot, garlic, tomatoes, and collards and cook a little bit. 

quick release your peas, then add in all the stuff from the stove pot, and set for high another 12 minutes.  quick release and you're done. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 1/2/2022 at 1:32 PM, Butch Had Not said:

For beginners,  hard boiled eggs.

Mushroom risotto is really easy and just takes like 5 ingredients. 

Carnitas is really good but you will need to broil the tips in oven

My absolute favorite though is bolegnese. Just a shit load of ingredients needed and prep time but in the end its delicious. 

have a favorite recipe for this you use?

edit: nm, found out kenji has one i have missed somehow https://www.seriouseats.com/pressure-cooker-ragu-bolognese-sauce-italian-recipe

Edited by NoName

On 5/9/2019 at 11:48 AM, Deej said:

Here you go. I did mashed potatoes separately. I also let the ribs pressure cook for about 10-12 minutes longer than the recipe. They were ridiculously tender. 

6 - 10 pieces (1116g) bone-in short ribs (1.5 - 2 inches thick)

6 cloves garlic , crushed and chopped

2 (300g) small onions, sliced

2 (170g) medium carrots, chopped

2 ribs (90g) celery , chopped

½ cup (125ml) red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon)

½ cup (125ml) beef stock

2 tablespoons (30ml) balsamic vinegar

1 - 1.5 tablespoon (14-21g) brown sugar

1 tablespoon (15ml) light or regular soy sauce (not low sodium soy sauce)

1 tablespoon (15ml) fish sauce

1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil

2 bay leaves

A pinch dried thyme

Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste

Thickener:

2.5 tablespoons (22.5g) cornstarch

3 tablespoons (45ml) cold water

Instructions

Brown Short Ribs in Instant Pot: Heat up Instant Pot using Sauté More. Wait until it says HOT (prevents short ribs from sticking to the pot). Add 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil in Instant Pot. Season one side generously with salt and black pepper. Add in 5 pieces of short ribs, then brown each side for 4 minutes. While one side is browning, season the other side with more salt and black pepper.*Pro Tip: Avoid overcrowding by browning short ribs in batches.

Saute Onion & Garlic: Set aside the browned short ribs. Add in sliced onions, and saute until soften (~ 3 minutes). Add in chopped garlic, and saute until fragrant (~30 seconds).

Saute Veggies & Spices: Add in chopped carrots, celery, a pinch of dried thyme, and 2 bay leaves, then saute for 2 minutes.

Deglaze Instant Pot: Pour ½ cup (125ml) red wine in Instant Pot and deglaze by scrubbing the flavorful brown bits off the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Give it a quick mix. Let the wine simmer for a minute to allow some of the alcohol to evaporate.

Pressure Cook Short Ribs: Add 1 tbsp (15ml) light soy sauce, 1 tbsp (15ml) fish sauce, 1-1.5 tbsp (14-21g) brown sugar, 2 tbsp (30ml) balsamic vinegar, and ½ cup (125ml) unsalted chicken stock in Instant Pot. Carefully add in browned short ribs + meat juice.If you are making mashed potatoes: Cut 3 - 4 potatoes in half, then place them in a stainless steel bowl. Layer the bowl on top of the short ribs. Then, pressure cook:-With Potatoes: High Pressure 42 minutes + Natural Release 15 minutes-No Potatoes: High Pressure 45 minutes + Natural Release 15 minutes

Optional - Make Mashed Potatoes: Drain & transfer the potatoes to a larger mixing bowl. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher. Mix in 100ml whole milk and 1 – 2 tbsp (14g -28g) unsalted butter. Season to taste with salt & pepper.

Thicken & Seasonings: Carefully set aside the short ribs. Mix 2.5 tbsp (22.5g) cornstarch and 3 tbsp (45ml) cold water together in a small mixing bowl. Bring the sauce to a simmer and add the cornstarch mixture one third at a time to thicken the red wine sauce until desired thickness. Taste and season with more salt, black pepper, and brown sugar if necessary (For reference: we added 3 large pinches of salt).

Serve Short Ribs: Carefully place the short ribs back in the sauce to keep them hot. 

Here's the short ribs recipe.

• Hook 'Em 1

I like it for pinto beans. Bag of beans, couple sliced jalapenos, onions, bunch of spices (heavy on ground pepper), knorr suiza chicken powder and water two inches higher than beans. 50 minutes. Add more knorr suiza at the end as needed to salt. Cilantro at the end. If I have bacon or left over ribs I'll throw those in. But I like the clean flavor of vegetarian beans. Much faster than stove top or crock pot plus soaking beans isn't necessary.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2018 at 6:17 PM, CooterBrown said:

I make Chicken Tinga for work lunches.

• 5 bone in chicken breasts (Go with 8 thighs unless you need to be heart healthy like me)
  • 1 large white onion
  • 1 large can and 1 small can of chipotles in adobo
  • 6 garlic cloves
  • 2 cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes
  • 2 tsp ancho chili powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper

1. Put the Instant Pot on saute and add a Tbsp of canola oil. When hot, saute each of the chicken breasts skin side down until it's a bit browned. Remove.

2.  Add in the onion and saute. After about 5 minutes, add in the garlic and saute until everything is soft.

3. Put everything except the chicken in a blender and blend. If you're aggy, make sure you take the tomatoes and chipotles out of the can first.

4. Add the chicken back to the Instant Pot and pour the mixture on top.

5. Set the pressure for 18 minutes.  Let it natural release when done.

6. Remove the chicken, discard the skin, debone, and shred the meat. 

7. Put the meat back in back in the sauce and put it on saute, stir frequently until it thickens a bit.

It'll make 5 2-cup servings that are only around 350 calories each.  I generally mix it with a cup of riced cauliflower (50 calories). It's really filling and low calorie lunch.

I can't cook at all and my wife is great at it. When we got married we thought separating duties was a good idea. She would take the skilled labor meal roles(cooking) and I would take the unskilled roles (cleaning up and dishes). This worked for 10 years until we got a pellet smoker (judge away). Turns out any dumb monkey, which I am, can make decent food using it. I was able to finally contribute to our meals which happened most weekends. I saw this thread and felt like it might allow me to do even more cooking. When cooking I'm looking to make tasty and easy meals that I can tweak to be healthier. Healthier for me means more veggies and less carbs. This meal was great.

The base was Low Carb tortillas, 50 Cal and 3g net carbs each.

The protein was this recipe with some small changes.

The toppings you can get at most standard grocery stores.

Great stuff, green chili Verde next weekend.

20220130_182247.jpg

20220130_190327.jpg

20220130_183320.jpg

20220130_190921.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

I can't cook at all and my wife is great at it. When we got married we thought separating duties was a good idea. She would take the skilled labor meal roles(cooking) and I would take the unskilled roles (cleaning up and dishes). This worked for 10 years until we got a pellet smoker (judge away). Turns out any dumb monkey, which I am, can make decent food using it. I was able to finally contribute to our meals which happened most weekends. I saw this thread and felt like it might allow me to do even more cooking. When cooking I'm looking to make tasty and easy meals that I can tweak to be healthier. Healthier for me means more veggies and less carbs. This meal was great.
The base was Low Carb tortillas, 50 Cal and 3g net carbs each.
The protein was this recipe with some small changes.
The toppings you can get at most standard grocery stores.
Great stuff, green chili Verde next weekend.
20220130_182247.thumb.jpg.bfae35a05e39c1274248ee620b0a576c.jpg
20220130_190327.thumb.jpg.75dda5722d1b7e390ef146abdd457f6a.jpg
20220130_183320.thumb.jpg.126ba049452c168dff05fd9ad2d382bc.jpg
20220130_190921.thumb.jpg.32910b5fbed65fd40f449270f931dc07.jpg

Looks great, all I would add is some thin sliced radish and lime wedges.

That would also make great enchiladas. Take your tortillas and soften in hot oil. Put in your chicken and some chopped onion, grated cheese if you want. Roll up. Pour some of that chicken au jus over the enchiladas then make a sour cream sauce (sour cream, whole milk, garlic, chile) and cover the rolled enchiladas. Cover with grated Jack cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

On 8/21/2019 at 12:30 PM, SydneyCarton said:

I made this recipe this weekend and it is fucking tremendous. I've been eating off it all week, to date:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/pressure-cooker-fast-and-easy-chicken-chile-verde-recipe.html

Just really, really good solid food. And I'm not keto or anything, but it's definitely going to be a low carb recipe for this with that kind of diet. Nothing in there but veggies and chicken. I did add a bit of chicken stock to get things going, about half a quart maybe. But damn this was good. I also used chicken thighs (costco organic) over chicken breasts. 

Made a variation of this last night. Wife loved it but I was a bit underwhelmed. Just didn't feel like the stew base developed enough flavor for me.

Started by charring the veggies and browning the pork, let stew for 30 mins, natural release, serve topped with cilantro, avocado, green onion, and lime. Wife opted to add some cheese, crema, and a tortilla chip base to hers. She stays alot thinner than me naturally and thus gets to eat alot worse.

Might try making enchiladas with the substantial leftovers.  Also, still much better than anything my incompetent hands could make on the stove or in the oven. 

20220206_170716.jpg

20220206_193540.jpg

20220206_193749.jpg

Edited by Bodhi
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 1 year later...

If I had the leftovers I would make either composed nachos or tostadas. It’s so easy to make some frijoles refritos. Spread on a tostada, top with cheese and the protein on hand, jalapeños and bake. Cut into quarters for nachos or plate. Cover with lettuce tomatoes guac whaever. I’m only saying this as I have a hankering for it. Might make some now with some leftover brisket.