Earl Thomas holding out

Goo Punch

Seattle is foolish if they won't accept a 2nd rounder for Earl. He's going to walk regardless at the end of the season and they're not competing with the Rams for the West Division, not going to happen. Seattle is headed for a 7-9 or 8-8 type of season  and needs picks to build for the future, if they refuse a 2nd rounder they're just foolish. KC has an extra 2nd rounder from trading Peters to the Rams so that's a nice bargaining chip. Earl and Berry would form the best safety duo in the NFL.

The problem with "trade him now" is that Seattle has the cap room to place the full range of tags at the end of the season.  Barring injury or complete meltdown, he's worth the same or more at the end of the year.  And he won't be able to simply walk without Seattle getting something.

Plus, someone might find him worth the two 1st-round picks.  I think he'd be the oldest player to fetch that deal, but crazier deals have been made.

On 9/23/2018 at 10:31 PM, BigOrange1 said:

This is pretty spot on.

Deadspin had a piece about this yesterday:

https://deadspin.com/listen-to-earl-thomas-1829265298

From the post game media session

What’s your mindset now? Was this your last game as a Seahawk?

ET: I don’t know if it was, but I had a damn good time and I’ll go out like that if I have to.

Is there any part of you that is still hopeful that something can be worked out in Seattle or has that ship sailed?

ET: I just want to be appreciated.

And you don’t think you’re appreciated here by this organization?

ET: I mean, show me.

To me the NFL player's union is just objectively terrible relative to the other unions.  To the point where it seems like the owners run it.  Why did they agree to slotted contracts based on draft round and position?  'Oh well it only applies to rookies and they have not put in their dues'.  But then you peel the onion back and...the teams have a 5th year option for every 1st round player which is a hedge against having to pay them market value for another year when if a guy is good enough to pull that 5th year trigger the team has almost certainly already gotten the player for 4 years at below market value.  Then if he's really good but they don't want him long term, bang franchise tag.  Year 7 coming up?  Still don't want to get married, bang franchise tag again!  Player gets hurt...team cuts bait and now the player is gonna get on a vet minimum shit deal with someone willing to gamble on him and a positional need.

They got so incredibly screwed in the last CBA with league...and they keep re-electing the same idiot who agreed to that deal.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bluto said:

he supposedly gave the middle finger to his own bench as he was carted off the field, just what my buddy was saying, haven't seen the clip yet

No he didn't. His issue is with coaches/management not his teammates... 

Edited by SDG

On 9/25/2018 at 3:52 PM, Hozz said:

To me the NFL player's union is just objectively terrible relative to the other unions.  To the point where it seems like the owners run it.  Why did they agree to slotted contracts based on draft round and position?  'Oh well it only applies to rookies and they have not put in their dues'.  But then you peel the onion back and...the teams have a 5th year option for every 1st round player which is a hedge against having to pay them market value for another year when if a guy is good enough to pull that 5th year trigger the team has almost certainly already gotten the player for 4 years at below market value.  Then if he's really good but they don't want him long term, bang franchise tag.  Year 7 coming up?  Still don't want to get married, bang franchise tag again!  Player gets hurt...team cuts bait and now the player is gonna get on a vet minimum shit deal with someone willing to gamble on him and a positional need.

They got so incredibly screwed in the last CBA with league...and they keep re-electing the same idiot who agreed to that deal.

if you're not discussing the percentage of revenue going to the players, you're simply moving furniture around in the living room and bitching because it hasn't miracled itself into being new.

The good teams are going to be at the salary cap, or previously mentioned percentage. Possibly, slotted contracts were a concession for bigger percentage of revenue?  Rookies making a bazillion dollars out the gate hurts the average player way more than it impacts what the owners are going to spend.

8 minutes ago, jebusshuttlecock said:

if you're gonna hold out, you gotta do what le'veon bell is doing.  earl lost a ton of money today

Agreed. He rightfully wanted the $10 million he is owed and tried to hold out during the week and play on Sunday and collect his game check. Duane Brown and Le’veon Bell held out while under contract and lost the cash they were owed but also didn’t get hurt and look like an ass at flicking off their own sideline.

• Fuck You 4

The nfl players union is weak as wet toilet paper. The problem is anytime there is a work stoppage 40% of the players are at a payday lender within a month. They need some billionaire former player to bankroll a walkout. 

Absolutely no reason for them to not have guaranteed contracts. Also, why the shit is there still testing for marijuana?

Acho is very articulate.

On the serious side, he’s 100% correct. ET has been one of the best safeties in football, and deserves to not be jerked around.

I hope that wasn’t his last play.

Definitely his last play in Seattle. But he's playing again. This was a clean break and no ligament damage. Best case scenario with this injury.

Agreed. He rightfully wanted the $10 million he is owed and tried to hold out during the week and play on Sunday and collect his game check. Duane Brown and Le’veon Bell held out while under contract and lost the cash they were owed but also didn’t get hurt and look like an ass at flicking off their own sideline.

Would neg your dumb ass if I weren’t on Tapa.

3 hours ago, Chopper said:

Here's the play

Based on this video, seems like the leg injury probably occurred earlier during the game and just gave way with no contact on this play.

Early Reports are good: 

"star S Earl Thomas suffered a clean, lower leg break but no ligament damage and no displacement, source said. Not nearly as bad as a ligament tear would’ve been. He should be 100% by the Super Bowl... and free agency."

Edited by LTtxfan

On 9/25/2018 at 3:52 PM, Hozz said:

If you want to bemoan the lack of guaranteed salaries that's fine, but the rest of your statement is pretty much straight out of the Adam Sandler playbook. It's doesn't sound like you have any idea how the fifth year rookie deal option or transition/franchise tag works.not to mention any understanding of tuition reimbursement, severance pay, 401k match, pension, annuities, etc. It's absolutely an impressive package of benefits.