All things Nachos!!

Hook1997

In Fort Worth Benito's has the best nachos. Nice thick homemade chips. Large pieces of chicken and good amount of beans and cheese on every chip. Fresh or pickled jalapenos. 

To me nachos have to be beans and cheese on every chip. Not a big plate of chips with beans and cheese and lettuce thrown on top. 

I like to do pulled chicken in the crock with a jar or two of salsa and some spicy taco mix. Lay the chips out, some refried beans, chicken over the chips, some shredded cheddar and monterey jack on top, top with jalapenos and diced red onions. When it comes out of the oven, I like to put refrigerated hot salsa on top. No sour cream or guac, get that shit away from my naoch. 

24 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

I like to do pulled chicken in the crock with a jar or two of salsa and some spicy taco mix. Lay the chips out, some refried beans, chicken over the chips, some shredded cheddar and monterey jack on top, top with jalapenos and diced red onions. When it comes out of the oven, I like to put refrigerated hot salsa on top. No sour cream or guac, get that shit away from my naoch. 

That sounds legit

Anyone who supports the big plate of chips with a bunch of crap poured over the top is a fucking communist.  Each individual nacho should be prepared with care.  A proper bean to cheese ratio on each chip, plus whatever topping you care to include (beef, pork, shrimp, chicken, etc.)

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Anyone who supports the big plate of chips with a bunch of crap poured over the top is a fucking communist.  Each individual nacho should be prepared with care.  A proper bean to cheese ratio on each chip, plus whatever topping you care to include (beef, pork, shrimp, chicken, etc.)

Edited by Baboontyme

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

Subscribed.  You'll laugh, but North Dakota does nachos very well.  I like my loaded and extravagant.  I'll eat a large order as a meal.

Luckys 13 nachos are the GOAT. These Texans have no idea. Yea...keep putting your crappy beans on your nachos. 

Ruins everything 

My go-to naoch:

• El Milagro Kitchen Style Chips
  • Brisket Burnt Ends
  • Diced smoked sausage
  • Beans - if you don't have some pintos you made ready that you can mash and (re)fry, the best lazy version is an undrained can of Ranch Style Black Beans blended with a pack of Goya Sazon. Perfect consistency and tastes great.
  • Queso with HEB pico
  • Grilled jalapenos
  • Diced tomatoes and onion

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Native Horn said:

No beans?  Are you a Communist, or just a Yankee?

Neither.  Adding a bunch of refried beans is a good way to end up with soggy nachos.  I prefer a crisp chip with the simple gooiness from the cheese and heat from the jalapeno.

Laugh or don't, but there used to be an Irish restaurant on 34th St. north of campus called "O'Brien's' that eventually renamed to "Senor O'Brien's" as they started adding TexMex items to their menu.  Their nachos were incredible.  A huge mountain of well-layered chips, cheese, pico, jalapenos, and black beans with a little sour cream and guac on the side.

And to the Nazi who thinks the only good nacho is some sort of hand-smeared tostada, fuck that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Agreed.  When my wife and I were in college at least once a week we used to make a pan of layered nachos assembly line style.  I'd get a bag of Santitas and a can of refrieds and spread the beans on each individual chip, then she'd top with taco meat, cheese, and a fresh jap slice.  Layered until we ran out of stuff.  Throw some lettuce, tomatoes, and sour cream on them when they come out of the oven.   And probably some Van de Walles picante sauce on the side, because college.  So great.  We still make them maybe once a year for nostalgia's sake.

• Like 1

I'm on TeamIndividualChips and they must have refried beans on them.

Also, while ballpark chips and queso are not nachos, they can still be tasty and appropriate for the venue.

When I make them at home I layer the beans, cheese, onions, and diced fresh jalapeno.  Then I like fajita beef on top of that.  But shredded chicken or pork are welcome, too.

This thread inspired me to eat nachos for supper. Chips, black beans, chicken, shredded cheese, salsa and guacamole on top, just the way god intended it.

I forgot pictures but I can get you follow up pictures in the next hour or so I believe.

Edited by Brew
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Was watching Carnival Eats(don’t judge me) and saw they had someone making pulled pork nachos using pork rinds in place of tortilla chips.  I was intrigued. 

Had these in New Orleans at Emeril’s

• PORK CRACKLIN NACHOSpâté, jalapeño-onion salsa, queso 

did not suck

1zwz2tt.jpg

*not my photo

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Brew said:

Nachos are so much better with actual black beans instead of refried mush on them. Black beans, chicken, actual shredded cheese, salsa, eat. 

You can refry “actual black beans” too. And they’re delicious.

Of course, if you just dislike refried beans period...we’ll, that’s a strange and sad existence, but to each his own.

• Like 1

I love a wide variety of nachos. Here in the shithole that is College Station, of course, my options are limited. Chuy's, in fact, is the only place serving a halfway decent nacho, and they are of the carefully crafted individual nacho variety. But pretty much every time we're in Austin, we go to Mother's Cafe for the very Austin-ish black bean and every veggie you'd think might go on a nacho style nachos. 

Love me some restaurant nachos, but some of my favorites are ones I make myself.

Fajita bacon and Nicks Boudin naoch from the old site
222306b8a79cd2f45eecf2df47b2a1a1.jpg

Bacon wrapped Dove naoch from old site
72b36e72c030c1c493691e4d80af143c.jpg

And tonight a simple chicken fajita naoch
ec2c2d2afe70540350e6bc8878f53145.heic

• Like 4

When Johnny Carino’s was still around, occasionally I would go in there and get the Italian nachos. Chips were fried wonton wrappers and the cheese was Alfredo sauce. Italian sausage, chicken, pepperonchini peppers. Damn they were good.

3 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I love a wide variety of nachos. Here in the shithole that is College Station, of course, my options are limited. Chuy's, in fact, is the only place serving a halfway decent nacho, and they are of the carefully crafted individual nacho variety. But pretty much every time we're in Austin, we go to Mother's Cafe for the very Austin-ish black bean and every veggie you'd think might go on a nacho style nachos. 

I have a soft spot for Mothers but really holding myself back and not negging this. 

I may be different but I prefer the meat/beans/etc to be hot enough to melt the shredded cheese itself. In the oven for a little help along, but I don’t want any crispy cheese edges. Just melted to the point of the individual cheese shreds not being identifiable any more.

25 minutes ago, Brew said:

I may be different but I prefer the meat/beans/etc to be hot enough to melt the shredded cheese itself. In the oven for a little help along, but I don’t want any crispy cheese edges. Just melted to the point of the individual cheese shreds not being identifiable any more.

Go on. Slowly. 

40 minutes ago, po elvis said:

single layer nachos.

spread the chips out. put the toppings individually on each one. not a big fan of everything just plopped on top of a big bed of chips where the chips underneath have nothing on them and the top ones have too much.

So that's why you layer them up.  These are nachos, you gotta work.