I had coffee with McCauley HALF AN HOUR AGO!

Parliament

Now if he'd said nothin', I'd have thought nothin'.  But he goes on and on running down to me about how he ain't been doing nothin' and nothin's been going on and all this other bullshit, so right then and there I know............

this cat's got somethin' goin' down.

1 hour ago, Quagmire said:

Cause there’s a dead man on the other end of this line .

Man that shit always gave me chills.

What I love about it is that it turns the standard story on its head.  Normally, it's the working crew that fucks with some made man's cash and they're fucked, or at least they are in for heap of trouble.  In Heat, DeNiro has supreme confidence his crew can slice through organized crime if needs be.  Complete badassery.

8 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Now if he'd said nothin', I'd have thought nothin'.  But he goes on and on running down to me about how he ain't been doing nothin' and nothin's been going on and all this other bullshit, so right then and there I know............

this cat's got somethin' goin' down.

Pretty fucking great.

Albert, what's wrong with you? You drag me here, waste my time like this. You saw a guy, on the street, who's an ex-con?

That's right.

Well I am... over-fuckin' whelmed. What d'you want for that, a junior g-man badge?

My life's a disaster zone. I got a stepdaughter so fucked up because her real father's this large-type asshole. I got a wife, we're passing each other on the down-slope of a marriage - my third - because I spend all my time chasing guys like you around the block. That's my life.

One of my favorite movies despite a few moments of over-acting by Al Pacino. 

I'm gonna really blow your mind. Heat was a remake of LA Takedown, an 1989 made-for-tv movie intended to be a pilot.

Cheesy by today's standards, but it featured several of the iconic scenes. Like:

Edited by Parliament

• 3 years later...

I love that police leadership:

-Believe in completely random coincidence that "slick" ex-con is the exact guy you're looking for?  Absolutely.

-Take unbelievably dangerous risk in hunting down Vincent in 1:1 airport runway shootout?  Absolutely.

-Risk dozens of innocent lives in unnecessary crowded public shootout during business hour in broad daylight?  Absolutely. 

-Gamble the lives of multiple police officers on questionable tips from dirtbags like Waingro, Marciano, Trejo, and Hugh Benny?  Absolutely.

-Having risked rank, badge, pension, marriage, personal health, and life of a step child in order to bring the last two members of this crew to justice...maybe still insist that "John Peterson" be postponed for a few minutes, while you or your Sergeant at the scene who both know Chris by sight, can take a quick look at the Camaro driver in person to verify?  NAH, I gotta get back to my hunch! 

14 minutes ago, Lobo said:

-Believe in completely random coincidence that "slick" ex-con is the exact guy you're looking for?  Absolutely.

-Take unbelievably dangerous risk in hunting down Vincent in 1:1 airport runway shootout?  Absolutely.

-Risk dozens of innocent lives in unnecessary crowded public shootout during business hour in broad daylight?  Absolutely. 

-Gamble the lives of multiple police officers on questionable tips from dirtbags like Waingro, Marciano, Trejo, and Hugh Benny?  Absolutely.

-Having risked rank, badge, pension, marriage, personal health, and life of a step child in order to bring the last two members of this crew to justice...maybe still insist that "John Peterson" be postponed for a few minutes, while you or your Sergeant at the scene who both know Chris by sight, can take a quick look at the Camaro driver in person to verify?  NAH, I gotta get back to my hunch! 

heat-deniro.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

Denzel Washington Smoking GIF

You want to question the great Lt Vincent Hanna you do it somewhere else. Bon voyage motherfucker. I’m gonna sleep. For a month.

Well he's right. Because if you want out, this is out. You believe you have to betray Chris?

No shit!

That's right, you would have to. See if you don't betray Chris, you victimize Dominick because he becomes an orphan when you go to prison as an accessory because got no living parents to take him. So he ends up state raised in foster homes and juvenile facilities. Then he steals a car. Then he winds up at gladiator academies like Chino and Tracy, fucked for life. You know what happens, because you've been there. Dominick didn't get a chance yet to choose his life but Chris did. If you give up Chris you get off clean. You can do it for your kid so you can raise him. 

What else are you selling?

All kinds of shit. But I don't have sell this and you know because this kinda shit here sells itself. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Well he's right. Because if you want out, this is out. You believe you have to betray Chris?

No shit!

That's right, you would have to. See if you don't betray Chris, you victimize Dominick because he becomes an orphan when you go to prison as an accessory because got no living parents to take him. So he ends up state raised in foster homes and juvenile facilities. Then he steals a car. Then he winds up at gladiator academies like Chino and Tracy, fucked for life. You know what happens, because you've been there. Dominick didn't get a chance yet to choose his life but Chris did. If you give up Chris you get off clean. You can do it for your kid so you can raise him. 

What else are you selling?

All kinds of shit. But I don't have sell this and you know because this kinda shit here sells itself. 

I rewatched it recently, and this is one of the best exchanges in the movie.  Mann removes all the slick camera shots, action scenes. and cool posturing, and peels back the human side in a very real way. 

It’s crazy to think that the cops backing up Pacino are Mykelti Williams, Wes Studi, & Ted Levine. 

That’s a Hall of Fame Character Actor list in its own right.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

mccauley's inspiration, from wikipedia:

Heat is based on the true story of Neil McCauley, a calculating criminal and ex-Alcatraz inmate who was tracked down by Detective Chuck Adamson in 1964.[8][9] In 1961, McCauley was transferred from Alcatraz to McNeil, as mentioned in the film. When he was released, in 1962, he immediately began planning new heists. With Michael Parille and William Pinkerton, they used bolt cutters and drills to burgle a manufacturing company of diamond drill bits, a scene which is recreated in the film.[10] Detective Chuck Adamson, upon whom Al Pacino's character is largely based, began keeping tabs on McCauley's crew around this time, knowing that he had become active again. The two even met for coffee once, just as portrayed in the film.[9] Their dialogue in the script was based on the conversation that McCauley and Adamson had.[10] The next time the two met, guns were drawn, just as the movie portrays.[9]

On March 25, 1964, McCauley and members of his regular crew followed an armored car that delivered money to a National Tea grocery store at 4720 S. Cicero Avenue, Chicago.[11] Once the drop was made, three of the robbers entered the store. They threatened the clerks and stole money bags worth $13,137[11] (equivalent to $110,000 in 2020) before they sped off in a rainstorm amid a hail of police gunfire.[9][10]

McCauley's crew was unaware that Adamson and eight other detectives had blocked off all potential exits, and when the getaway car turned down an alley and the robbers saw the blockade, they realized they were trapped. All four exited the vehicle and began firing. Two of his crew, Russell Bredon (Breaden) and Parille, were slain in an alley while a third man, Miklos Polesti (on whom Chris Shiherlis is very loosely based),[9] shot his way out and escaped. McCauley was shot to death on the lawn of a nearby home. He was 50 years old and the prime suspect in several burglaries.[12] Polesti was caught days later and sent to prison. As of 2011 Polesti was still alive.[10]

Adamson went on to a successful career as a television and film producer, and died in 2008 at age 71.[13] Michael Mann's 2009 film Public Enemies stated in its end credits "In memory of Chuck Adamson". As an additional inspiration for Hanna, in a 1995 interview Mann cited an unnamed man working internationally against drug cartels.[14] Additionally, the character of Nate, played by Jon Voight, is based on real-life former career criminal and fence turned writer Edward Bunker, who served as a consultant to Mann on the film.[9][10][15]

i watched "thief" not long ago, and it's funny how many of the same phrases and words his characters used (i can only assume he wrote the original scripts around the same time).  these are still the only 2 times i've heard the word "penologist". 

• 1 year later...
On 1/20/2022 at 8:09 PM, henrygandorf said:

i can't remember where i read it or heard it, probably on the wiki page, but apparently hanna is supposed to be on blow the entire movie.

keeps him sharp, on the edge, where he's gotta be.

Pacino talks about this in the audio commentary on the DVD. He said he and Mann agreed that Hanna was "chipping" coke that he would boost from crime scenes, busts, the evidence room, etc. 

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Ari Gold as Dr. Bob is my favorite side character. 

Shout outs are also in order for : 

Henry Rollins as Benny 

Buffalo Bill as Bosko

Chief Wiggum as Alan Marciano

Bubba as Drucker 

Beansie as Sergeant Heinz 

Donald from Jurassic Park as the explosives ID check guy

Tone Loc

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Ari Gold as Dr. Bob is my favorite side character. 

Shout outs are also in order for : 

Henry Rollins as Benny 

Buffalo Bill as Bosko

Chief Wiggum as Alan Marciano

Bubba as Drucker 

Beansie as Sergeant Heinz 

Donald from Jurassic Park as the explosives ID check guy

Magua from Last of the Mohicans as Det Casals

Pedro Cerrano (fuck you, Jobu, I do it myself) as the getaway driver grill man

Fucking Machete as Trejo

Edited by mdmost