Fallout 76

BurntOrange&White

7 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

Well, this private server subscription sure is not going over well.

Heh yeah $100 paywall for (most) stuff you could do in previous games for free, and that everybody has been asking for for a while.

Edited by MillerEP

Jesus, Bethesda.  Per Reddit:

-Scrap container contents are disappearing upon logging back in.  They also wont take bulk junk or the very heavy hardened mass

-Anyone on your friends list is able to hop onto your "private" server without your permission

-At least some of the worlds are used, as in they just assigned you a regular one where everyone dropped (forced?) off. As in, you go to a location and it is already looted with dead enemies on the ground

-Various other old and new bugs

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 7:16 AM, GabrielsHorn said:

Biggest thing for me, and why I've taken a break after finishing the last mission, is just the stability of the game. Sometimes it can still be pretty rough. All that said, the last things I did was the Fasnacht event as it was probably the way the game was meant to be played. Doing the short event and also doing the later big boss (though, I think that was a different event) was really fun and brought the entire server into the same spot. 

I'll definitely be back for Wastelanders though. The game has some great ideas, but can also be frustrating at certain points (e.g. the guy who quit at the last mission when being swarmed - had a similar experience where the game crashed right before I launched the nuke. Thankfully, BGSA responded back to my e-mail pretty quick and was re-motivated to do it.)

Sup dudes. An update from my end.

Stability has actually been going up (% wise) in the recent months. We've gathered a lot of data over the past month on areas where memory is right on the edge and we're actively fixing that stuff right now. PC owners aren't all that affected by it. It's mostly PS4 Pro players. There's usually 1 or 2 server/client crashes that gets resolved in each hotfix. Also, the amount of level and quest design bugs that we're crushing right now is amazing. These will be going in future patches and will really help the QoL.

Fasnacht is super popular and will come back. Mischief Night and Meat Week are also insanely popular. We have more of these planned. Did a playtest for a new event today. It's really challenging.

Wastelanders is going to be really cool and it was the right decision to push it back. We all know internally that it was going to suck to have to roll out Fallout 1st without a content beat, and we knew it would be met with resistance and anger from some people. Even though I can talk much about it, I can say though that this is one of those cases where the data is completely opposite of the sentiment. Don't get me wrong, there were some big bugs there that we needed to fix, but our Live Team is good at jumping on those things ASAP. We still want to make it better and fix a lot of the issues, but FO1st is holding its own quite well. And quite frankly, the scrap box, atoms, survival tent, and Ranger Armor are really a good deal.

Regarding the private servers, you guys all play games where private servers are featured, so you kind of know where this will eventually lead. I think you'll like what we roll out in the future.

On 10/24/2019 at 9:55 AM, Dr Fear said:

-Scrap container contents are disappearing upon logging back in.  They also wont take bulk junk or the very heavy hardened mass

-Anyone on your friends list is able to hop onto your "private" server without your permission

-At least some of the worlds are used, as in they just assigned you a regular one where everyone dropped (forced?) off. As in, you go to a location and it is already looted with dead enemies on the ground

-Various other old and new bugs

We were on the scrap box issues that first day and got some solutions in place. The others are all getting fixed.

And just to clear something up, your private server was/is intended to be private with only your data. There were/are no shenanigans going on. Just bugs and we'll get those issues fixed. Completely unintended.

Back to Death Stranding. I mean Amazon Delivery Simulator 2020.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 2/17/2020 at 2:41 PM, vtaenz said:

Just saw on LinkedIn that Chris looks to have left (or been let go) from the company. So, new director for 76. I'm sure this was probably already done or decided on weeks/months ago.

I can't believe they haven't pulled the plug on this thing yet.  It's been a disaster from day 1, and I'm not sure the recent changes can or have really saved it.  Adding NPCs to it sounds promising, but I don't think I have the stomach for it again.  Gave this turd a solid 6 months for them to get it right and the changes they made weren't enough to change my mind.  Bethesda is ruining this franchise, they should let Obsidian have a turn with it again.

On 2/17/2020 at 1:41 PM, vtaenz said:

Just saw on LinkedIn that Chris looks to have left (or been let go) from the company. So, new director for 76. I'm sure this was probably already done or decided on weeks/months ago.

Yeah, he left a month ago or so; on his own. Chris is a good dude and he’s certainly a lot less stressed now. Things have been reshuffled a little bit and we all have taken on more responsibilities. 

Wastelanders is coming along great, though. I don’t know if you saw, but we opened up PTS to a lot of players to check it out. Response has been overly positive and they love the main quest. It feels a lot more like Fallout now. The back half of 2020 has a lot of good stuff, too, and you’ll see some of that at E3.

On 8/20/2019 at 9:08 PM, LonghornJudas said:

I’m really excited to start. I mean I played Wasteland on the Apple ][e and of FO and FO2 at launch. It’s truly one of my favorite franchises.

This is where I'm at.  I first found FO because of a demo in Game Informer or some other PC magazine back in the day.  I was hooked right away, picked up the retail copy and haven't looked back since.  FO2 is still my favorite in the franchise with New Vegas coming in at a close 2nd.  I hated to see them cut the Karma system in FO4.  There were a lot of RPG elements that took a backseat in that iteration tbh, felt like they started catering more to the FPS crowd.  For me Bethesda has always done RPGs better than just about anyone else, so I was a bit disappointed to see them go in a different direction.  Hopefully you can help steer them back to the light now that you're there.

Speaking of Wasteland, I tried to get a job with inXile last year so I could be a part of the Wasteland 3 team.  I was all set to move the family down to Louisiana if I got the job.  It was some admin job that I should have been overqualified for, and I was already familiar with a lot of Brian Fargo's work of course, but I never heard anything back.  I was pretty bummed.  

Edited by ulukinatme

19 hours ago, ulukinatme said:

This is where I'm at.  I first found FO because of a demo in Game Informer or some other PC magazine back in the day.  I was hooked right away, picked up the retail copy and haven't looked back since.  FO2 is still my favorite in the franchise with New Vegas coming in at a close 2nd.  I hated to see them cut the Karma system in FO4.  There were a lot of RPG elements that took a backseat in that iteration tbh, felt like they started catering more to the FPS crowd.  For me Bethesda has always done RPGs better than just about anyone else, so I was a bit disappointed to see them go in a different direction.  Hopefully you can help steer them back to the light now that you're there.

I think there was just a lot of underestimating on what it would take to build a live version of the game with the FO4 base. This is a first for Bethesda, so a lot of learning has gone on and is still going on across the studios. A lot of really great people here, though. The best company I have ever worked for. We're very diverse, we all play the game at work and at home, we're objective about the game, we look at data to support and even counter our assumptions in the design, and we're doing better at engaging with the community on PTS. All positive things.

I think we're on the right track with Wastelanders and we'll be playing close attention when we launch.

19 hours ago, ulukinatme said:

Speaking of Wasteland, I tried to get a job with inXile last year so I could be a part of the Wasteland 3 team.  I was all set to move the family down to Louisiana if I got the job.  It was some admin job that I should have been overqualified for, and I was already familiar with a lot of Brian Fargo's work of course, but I never heard anything back.  I was pretty bummed.  

Sorry to hear that. We've all been there and it can certainly be disappointing. I had the same experience when I interviewed with Turn 10. Keep at it, though. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, LonghornJudas said:

Anyone playing this morning? Feel free to post your feedback, both good and bad.

Just messed around with it for about an hour.  It was buried in the patch notes, but the lighting improvements are great and I noticed them immediately.  For example, in the Blackwater Mine (Uranium Fever event) there are two stairwells going up on either side of the tunnel a bit down from the entrance. Before with the light off the platforms were completely dark, now you can make out what is over there.  Great stuff. On the negative, part of the inventory sort was busted for me.  On my pip boy sort for spoilage was just the standard with alpha for all items, spoilage sort at the Whitesprings Train Station vendor worked except the items I had just made (with 100% condition) were sorted alpha with the items that have no condition, only stuff that had started to spoil was at the top.  I'm sure that will get sorted out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

So how is it and is it now worth 39.99?

do they have a history with fallout games?  on xbox there is fallout 3, then fallout new vegas, fallout 4, then fallout 76, now wastelander.  Go to gamestop to get used versions of all of the others first, then play wastelander.  If you want to be real OG get the old PC version of fallout, then fallout 2.  I have spent a zillion hours on all of them except just recently getting fallout 4 and fallout 76.  

Great series of games if you are into it.   Some might not like it of course.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, zork said:

do they have a history with fallout games?  on xbox there is fallout 3, then fallout new vegas, fallout 4, then fallout 76, now wastelander.  Go to gamestop to get used versions of all of the others first, then play wastelander.  If you want to be real OG get the old PC version of fallout, then fallout 2.  I have spent a zillion hours on all of them except just recently getting fallout 4 and fallout 76.  

I've played all of FO3, NV, FO4, and some of the OG. Haven't tried 2 or 76 yet. I did like Outer Worlds. I was mainly wondering if Wastelanders made it as good as at least 4 which I liked, but I know a lot did not.

On 4/17/2020 at 11:48 PM, zork said:

On 4/18/2020 at 12:46 AM, SimonBolivar said:

I've played all of FO3, NV, FO4, and some of the OG. Haven't tried 2 or 76 yet. I did like Outer Worlds. I was mainly wondering if Wastelanders made it as good as at least 4 which I liked, but I know a lot did not.

Fallout 2 may be the best, Sulik is legendary.  I find NV to be pretty close, just so many options on quests and endings, incredibly entertaining too.  After that I would have to say the original or Fallout 3, FO4, then finally Fallout: Tactics.  I don't rank Brotherhood of Steel, it was an abomination, kind of like 76 prior to Wastelanders.

• Like 1

Fallout 2 may be the best, Sulik is legendary.  I find NV to be pretty close, just so many options on quests and endings, incredibly entertaining too.  After that I would have to say the original or Fallout 3, FO4, then finally Fallout: Tactics.  I don't rank Brotherhood of Steel, it was an abomination, kind of like 76 prior to Wastelanders.

I don't think any game in the series will ever match the desolate and hopeless atmosphere of the original fallout.

I re-installed it and have been giving it a fair shake again. The NPCs are a definite improvement. However, I have to ask @LonghornJudas, what is up with the bow? The rifle's bolt being on the wrong end only mildly irks me since it's fired from the right side, but the bow is all kinds of fucked. You hold it with your right hand, draw with your left, and the bow reticle is off-center. Also, Crossbow is great and accurate, but why is it so weak? Like the art department has seen how these are fired right? Are they all left-handed?

Edited by MillerEP

1 hour ago, MillerEP said:

I re-installed it and have been giving it a fair shake again. The NPCs are a definite improvement. However, I have to ask @LonghornJudas, what is up with the bow? The rifle's bolt being on the wrong end only mildly irks me since it's fired from the right side, but the bow is all kinds of fucked. You hold it with your right hand, draw with your left, and the bow reticle is off-center. Also, Crossbow is great and accurate, but why is it so weak? Like the art department has seen how these are fired right? Are they all left-handed?

Yeah, the bow has some issues, and I have them compiled into their own folder for review this week. Unfortunately, it's a bit of a Frankenstein weapon in its creation. I can't remember off the top of my head why the bow animation was that way, but I'll check tomorrow. I think there was a specific art reason.

As for the crossbow, we'll just have to look at the current data and see where it sits.

• Like 1

I re-installed it and have been giving it a fair shake again. The NPCs are a definite improvement. However, I have to ask [mention=940]LonghornJudas[/mention], what is up with the bow? The rifle's bolt being on the wrong end only mildly irks me since it's fired from the right side, but the bow is all kinds of fucked. You hold it with your right hand, draw with your left, and the bow reticle is off-center. Also, Crossbow is great and accurate, but why is it so weak? Like the art department has seen how these are fired right? Are they all left-handed?
Crossbow used to benefit from the Rifleman perks but now I believe it is under the Archer perks post wastelands. Makes a big difference. I used it for a while a few weeks ago (with Rifleman) and though it was decently effective for using up cheap ammo.

Some of the developers did an AMA on Reddit today, here is a summary someone did:

• A Mole Miner NPC similar to Murmgh will be making their way to Appalachia very soon.

• Some “very fun” features will be added to C.A.M.P’s this year.

• A roadmap of content in 2020 is being worked on, and will be revealed “very soon”.

• The developers are “looking into” expanding the budget in the future.

• The Brotherhood of Steel will be making a possible return in Fallout 76 - they're "watching" us very closely...

• Legendary Perk Cards, Perk Loadouts and One Appalachia update are coming this Summer.

• Pets are on their way (surprise!) to be added as an addition to the companions system.

• A full-on Wendigo Colossus event is coming this Summer.

• Marine Combat Helmets will be craftable in the future.

• Possible expansion for the Blue Ridge Caravan is hinted.

• You will be able to change your Allies' clothes next month.

• Potential Mothman cultist content is being "explored", not confirmed.

• There will be more Allies in the future.

• Content outside of Appalachia is a possibility in the future - "stay tuned".

• "New Teams" system coming this summer, similar to a public "looking for group" system, where Team Leaders will appear on the map with buffs in explorations and events.

• New Fasnacht masks are coming with the revamped Fasnacht Day seasonal event with drop fixes.

• Rotating dungeon system to replace Vault Raids with different awards, etc.

• Player-built settlements are currently not possible due to limitations, but they're planning a workaround for players to make thriving settlements like Fallout 4 as they continue to expand the C.A.M.P system.

That's a list of what was shared to us regarding content this year. More content is expected to come beyond this list.

One Appalachia Update Info: One Appalachia will introduce balanced zones and remove high level zone restrictions, meaning every single enemy across Appalachia will scale to YOUR level. This is very similar to Elder Scrolls Online's One Tamriel update.

Edited by Dr Fear
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Do any of these new updates allow for single player or am I still forced to play with 3 other characters?

It never forced you to play with anyone else and unless you are doing the public events you can easily go a whole game session without running across another player.  I have player the game 99% solo without issue.

5 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Do any of these new updates allow for single player or am I still forced to play with 3 other characters?

You can get your own private server for $12 a month. Or find a friend with one, and then just do your own thing and ignore them, but if it's a friend's server they have to be online when you play, otherwise you'll get kicked after 20 mins back to a random public server.

Edited by MillerEP

Oh, one more thing I'd LOVE to see (aside from the bow fixed and the bolt on rifles being on the right-side) is the ability to do a respec. It's super annoying to have to keep starting new guys because you realize a couple levels in you've gimped yourself. If you're new you have no idea really what play style or build you want to do, and it's really easy to start putting points and grabbing cards that are useless to you. One example is I started trying to go for a solo sneak shotgun build, but now that I'm a few levels in I've started playing with friends, so now all my lone wanderer and shotgun cards are useless as I want to play with coop cards and a rifle build (since they go in guns blazing). I also am gimped from ever doing a Power Armor build, so if I want to do that I have to now start a new guy and plan really really early. As a newbie I had no idea what I was doing, so now I'm stuck with some useless cards, and want less strength and more perception, etc.

You can charge me to do it if you want, even make it progressively more expensive if the goal is to punish or discourage it, hell you can force me to use Atoms if need be, but I definitely need it.

• Like 1

Glad to see you caught the AMA. A lot of great stuff today and info on some of the 2020 features coming up.
The Wendigo Colossus event is super fun.
I'm against the BoS being in the game. They were founded in California how many years after the bombs fell? They didn't even try to head east until much later.
Unless my timeline is completely wrong it just doesn't make sense to have them in Appalachia.

Technically you're right. The BoS were founded in 2077 and didn't start moving East until 2254 after they got the Enclave's Vertibirds.  Fallout76 takes place in 2102. However, it's a little too late they already threw in Paladin Elizabeth "Lizzy" Taggerdy (https://fallout.gamepedia.com/Lizzy_Taggerdy) as the head of the Appalachia BoS. So they already found a way to have a faction of them out here.

Edited by MillerEP

1 hour ago, MillerEP said:

Technically you're right. The BoS were founded in 2077 and didn't start moving East until 2254 after they got the Enclave's Vertibirds.  Fallout76 takes place in 2102. However, it's a little too late they already threw in Paladin Elizabeth "Lizzy" Taggerdy (https://fallout.gamepedia.com/Lizzy_Taggerdy) as the head of the Appalachia BoS. So they already found a way to have a faction of them out here.

The writers that okay-ed that need a talking to. 

Holy shit how did the entire BoS story line in F76 get erased from my mind randomly? I guess I never even questioned it while playing the game. Based on Taggerdy's story, someone with more knowledge than me in radio, how did she make radio contact with Maxson after nuclear fallout? 

13 hours ago, MillerEP said:

Oh, one more thing I'd LOVE to see (aside from the bow fixed and the bolt on rifles being on the right-side) is the ability to do a respec. It's super annoying to have to keep starting new guys because you realize a couple levels in you've gimped yourself. If you're new you have no idea really what play style or build you want to do, and it's really easy to start putting points and grabbing cards that are useless to you. One example is I started trying to go for a solo sneak shotgun build, but now that I'm a few levels in I've started playing with friends, so now all my lone wanderer and shotgun cards are useless as I want to play with coop cards and a rifle build (since they go in guns blazing). I also am gimped from ever doing a Power Armor build, so if I want to do that I have to now start a new guy and plan really really early. As a newbie I had no idea what I was doing, so now I'm stuck with some useless cards, and want less strength and more perception, etc.

You can charge me to do it if you want, even make it progressively more expensive if the goal is to punish or discourage it, hell you can force me to use Atoms if need be, but I definitely need it.

Yeah, this is a common request, even by internal folks, and a very good QoL feature. My own opinion is that the system needs to achieve that balance of providing players a necessary avenue to correct mistakes, or make slight adjustments, and not make the character specialization irrelevant. The legendary perks will actually make creating alts with different specs a bit more fun IMO.

7 hours ago, LonghornJudas said:

Yeah, this is a common request, even by internal folks, and a very good QoL feature. My own opinion is that the system needs to achieve that balance of providing players a necessary avenue to correct mistakes, or make slight adjustments, and not make the character specialization irrelevant. The legendary perks will actually make creating alts with different specs a bit more fun IMO.

What about completely ditching the % to less carry weight and lockpick and hacking perks? I think it would feel better if you equipped one version of the card (let's be honest everyone takes these cards exploring solo) and through some elaborate quest chain or something you upgrade the card to higher tiers. Same kind of goes with equipping 9 cards to increased Big Guns or Melee damage. If it was just 3 cards fine but having to equip 9 (or is it 12) just feels like we're stuck. I get that you make sacrifices if you're trying to min/max your build but I think having to commit to 9+ cards to get the most out of your preferred weapon eliminates or at least stunts player ingenuity and experimentation with completely different and radical builds (to a degree).