Fallout 76

BurntOrange&White

I think it looks incredible. If they can pull it off, it's a huge step forward for both the Fallout franchise as well as whatever they are cooking up for Starfield and TES VI.

I hope that you can do the entire game alone, but I think Bethesda will address the griefers concerns quickly. 

I was excited for it, but I don't think I'll get it. They've repeatedly said that every person you see in the game is real person and the community is taking that to mean no NPCs. If there is a compelling story then I'll deal with the trolls and all, but if it's just GTAOnline plus building I'll sit it out.

3 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I was excited for it, but I don't think I'll get it. They've repeatedly said that every person you see in the game is real person and the community is taking that to mean no NPCs. If there is a compelling story then I'll deal with the trolls and all, but if it's just GTAOnline plus building I'll sit it out.

NPCs doesn't necessarily imply that they have to be humans. There's plenty of Mr. Handys, Ghouls, etc for them to use as quest-givers.

I skimmed the E3 videos that @MillerEP posted and IIRC, the Bethesda rep mentioned that the Vault 76 overseer sends on you on six quests (forcing you to explore the six map areas).  I don't know if that means there are only six quests in the game, or if that's the starting point for exploring the world (with more quests to be found out and about).  It does appear that there will not be an overarching story (main quest line).

2 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

They said you will be able to solo so I imagine they’ll have pvp servers and pave servers.

I'm betting it will be like Ark, where you could rent your own servers, which is what they mean by playing it "solo" if you want.

If not then you jump on the public servers, and your character is cloud saved so he can jump from server to server.

Edited by MillerEP

I'm betting it will be like Ark, where you could rent your own servers, which is what they mean by playing it "solo" if you want.
If not then you jump on the public servers, and your character is cloud saved so he can jump from server to server.

That’s exactly what I told someone I feel like it’s going to be like imo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I like the idea, Borderlands was really fun with other people. I think it could be cool to get a team and to fuck with big monsters and other teams.

I downloaded and started playing Fallout 4 because New Vegas wasn't my thing. I have about 2.5 hrs into it, and it's kind of just empty and not very fun. Hoping it gets better. The choices and forks seem really deep but the game still feels linear.

Maybe 76 will be awesome, but after playing fallout 4 for a little while, I think I'll wait and see if it's a piece of shit or not. Especially because it's an all online game, I'll have to buy it full price.

I'm on the fence as I think Bethesda is really good at world building and narrative, but this is kind of a different direction for their studio.  Having no human NPCs is a negative to me as I would have loved to have some kind of cool "hub" area/town with NPC traders and quest givers (maybe even a seedy bar, etc) where players can just chill, role play, trade, etc.  I think the initial launch will likely be riddled with server issues, but that it will later stabilize and become a better game after 3-6 months.  I think I would seriously be looking at this right about when something like Anthem is coming out or so.  

1 minute ago, UTDD said:

I'm on the fence as I think Bethesda is really good at world building and narrative, but this is kind of a different direction for their studio.  Having no human NPCs is a negative to me as I would have loved to have some kind of cool "hub" area/town with NPC traders and quest givers (maybe even a seedy bar, etc) where players can just chill, role play, trade, etc.  I think the initial launch will likely be riddled with server issues, but that it will later stabilize and become a better game after 3-6 months.  I think I would seriously be looking at this right about when something like Anthem is coming out or so.  

No human NPCs? Are you sure? I don't understand how that will work on a big map with only 32 players or whatever it is..

1 minute ago, Zavala said:

No human NPCs? Are you sure? I don't understand how that will work on a big map with only 32 players or whatever it is..

This is the article I read a while back on this -- haven't heard of anything changing...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/06/12/there-are-no-npcs-in-fallout-76-only-other-players-and-robots/#5a25f48641c9

22 hours ago, Zavala said:

I downloaded and started playing Fallout 4 because New Vegas wasn't my thing. I have about 2.5 hrs into it, and it's kind of just empty and not very fun. Hoping it gets better. The choices and forks seem really deep but the game still feels linear.

How many hours did you give New Vegas?

And Fallout 4 seems linear to you? Definitely not my experience.

Most helpful tip I could give someone starting FO4 is to avoid elaborate settlements until late in the game. I made the mistake of pimping mine out as soon as possible. Got rich quick, but there were so many locations and they got attacked so often that it was difficult to explore, focus on missions, or just fuck around.

5 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

How many hours did you give New Vegas?

And Fallout 4 seems linear to you? Definitely not my experience.

Most helpful tip I could give someone starting FO4 is to avoid elaborate settlements until late in the game. I made the mistake of pimping mine out as soon as possible. Got rich quick, but there were so many locations and they got attacked so often that it was difficult to explore, focus on missions, or just fuck around.

Maybe 2.

I'm about 2.5 hours into FO4.

I absolutely  loved New Vegas and feel it's the best of the Fallout "reboot" titles. Graphics are janky af and the combat mechanics are quirky, but the overall gameplay and story were phenomenal.

Obsidian wanted to develop more Fallout content, but Bethesda won't deal, me thinks because Obsidian took something of Bethesda's, made it better, and everyone raved about it. 

Anyway, Fallout 4 catches a lot of flak, but it's a great game that offers hundreds of hours on one playthrough. Settlement defense is borked, and the non-stop procedural quests from Garvey are annoying, but all things considered, it's tons o' fun.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I absolutely  loved New Vegas and feel it's the best of the Fallout "reboot" titles. Graphics are janky af and the combat mechanics are quirky, but the overall gameplay and story were phenomenal.

Obsidian wanted to develop more Fallout content, but Bethesda won't deal, me thinks because Obsidian took something of Bethesda's, made it better, and everyone raved about it. 

Anyway, Fallout 4 catches a lot of flak, but it's a great game that offers hundreds of hours on one playthrough. Settlement defense is borked, and the non-stop procedural quests from Garvey are annoying, but all things considered, it's tons o' fun.

I thought New Vegas was okay, but it was really boring style wise, and story wise I wasn't as interested in, now the DLC was great. Fallout 3 was the better game of the 2 in my opinion. 

Fallout 4 was good, I just wished the Underground Railroad and Minute could get together and get along.

I thought Fallout 4 started too slow (although I liked the very start with vault exit) and the Minutemen stuff was not the best start, but over time I think it had a lot of good content.  The best thing about FO4 is that like Skyrim there are some pretty good mods to make the game a lot more fun.  I didn't like the dialogue style as a lot of times it just felt like 4 variations of the exact same choice and FO3 had a lot more depth in dialogue.  New Vegas had better dialogue as well, but the combat in FO4 is vastly better than both of the others in my opinion.  Still, it was a cool world and it easily gives you hundreds of hours of play so it's a good value to me for sure.  What the studio does next with Starfield is the interesting question for me right now.   

I keep playing 4, but I feel like I'm just grinding. Waiting for a cool boss battle or better missions, but eh. I keep running out of juice in the bad ass power armor. Hope there's a way to scrap though enough shit and built a few additional power cells. I keep waiting for a mission to be too difficult where I would need it, but that's not happening. Upgrading weapons is pretty cool. The building mechanics are crazy for what you really need to do. Why is there a ball and rail system to build some type of rube Goldberg machine?

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, GabrielsHorn said:

They are doing a stress test if you pre-ordered early AND are an Xbox One insider. I was able to get in, but there is an NDA. 

Test starts 10/13. If anyone else is doing it, let's team up and kick some Scorned ass/launch nukes on WVU.

Admit nothing, deny everything.

• 2 weeks later...

Played the BETA and got further than the stress test. It's great fun if you enjoy the first person Fallouts, and I really appreciate the emphasis on environmental story telling (i.e. reading the Terminals, the Survivor Stories, etc). Game is gorgeous as well with the view of the Appalachians stepping out of the vault being jaw-dropping. 

17 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

So I’ve never played FO before.

Got the Xbox 1X fo76 bundle deal with RDR2 and deciding if I want to keep fo76.

How painfully rpg is this series? Like taking turns in fights or more like Borderlands?

Is this going mp some thing crazy or new?

I can't speak for 76 specifically but the series had been more like Borderlands since Fallout 3. You can switch between 1st and 3rd person and fights are live, not turn-based. You can pause a fight though. Fallout 1 and 2 were turn-based. Don't let that persuade you though, they are classics and you should play them although you will need a PC to do so. Multi-player is new with 76 and why I chose not to play this one.

So I’ve never played FO before.

Got the Xbox 1X fo76 bundle deal with RDR2 and deciding if I want to keep fo76.

How painfully rpg is this series? Like taking turns in fights or more like Borderlands?

Is this going mp some thing crazy or new?

76 is supposed to play like Fallout 4 but with multiplayer. Combat is like most any first person shooter but with a twist. VATS allows you to occasionally target specific body parts for crippling shots. It's good, gory fun.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, bernorange said:

So now that the game is officially released, could someone explain how the game works playing multiplayer vs solo? Can you switch back and forth between modes, or do you need to pay for private servers or what?

There is only one mode and it is always multiplayer.  When you sign on you get put on a server that has 23 other players.  During the BETA I pretty much ignored everyone else and had no problems.  There is the situation that another player can be using a workbench of talking to a quest giver and you have to wait. I think this was more a problem in the BETA because everyone was emerging from the vault at the same time and doing the same early quests.  After a few weeks the players will be much more spread out. I did participate in an "Event" which was to clear out some robots from a building with other random players, but I didn't have to team up.  You can walk right up to anyone and ask them to team up and you can leave the team at anytime.  I didn't do any pvp but I do know you can't get killed by another player until level 5, and then you can turn back on Pacifist mode.

Reviews are tearing it up. I haven't watched any gameplay but people seem to not be impressed.

It’s not bad, it’s buggy as shit still but fun so far. Granted I’m only like level 8 or something like that. Some people make it their mission to bitch about everything.

8 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Some people make it their mission to bitch about everything.

Sounds like this message board I go to sometimes. 

Aside - is 76 worth the price tag? About to get a 2k 144hz and some fans and star overclocking this motherfucker. I need some candy to feed it. 

Never played FO4 but love Oblivion and FNV. 

On 9/26/2018 at 8:54 AM, Zavala said:

Damn anthem looks pretty great. Wonder how close it will be to this gameplay reveal from June 2017... Seems like it could be a no-man-sky situation?

Well let's see... No Man's Sky was backed by 16 limey fuck con artists in the UK... Anthem is backed by the 6th largest publisher in the industry that clears $3B in revenue each year. 

Not saying that EA can't find a way to fuck it up, but No Man's Sky isn't a good comparison.

1 hour ago, Jersey Man10 said:
7 hours ago, ztejas said:
Sounds like this message board I go to sometimes. 
Aside - is 76 worth the price tag? About to get a 2k 144hz and some fans and star overclocking this motherfucker. I need some candy to feed it. 
Never played FO4 but love Oblivion and FNV. 

Don't buy it. Get RDR2 instead if you haven't already.

Word. Thanks G. 

17 hours ago, MillerEP said:

It’s not bad, it’s buggy as shit still but fun so far. Granted I’m only like level 8 or something like that. Some people make it their mission to bitch about everything.

Ditto. It's pretty fun to explore the West Virginia landscape, and it leads to some fun situations. The focus much more on eating and drinking make it more survival-y, but it never feels overbearing sans the diseases. Still, it's going to be choppy and the gunplay isn't the best when comparing it to a Destiny or something else.

Glad I barely finished RDR2 as I don't think I can play both at the same time