The Official “Bitch About FOX and their asstastic coverage of the World Cup” Thread

Goo Punch

I think this nails it for me on why Fox's coverage blows:

This is what Fox is doing here. What NBC does with the Olympics. What ABC/ESPN did for a long time with the World Cup.

When ESPN finally said, screw it, we are going to cover this straight, they had their best World Cup coverage. This guy hits the nail on the head with NBC and the EPL (weird they get the Olympics wrong).

And what baffles me is that Fox covers soccer on a regular basis. They don't do it great, but this is exceptionally bad.

• Like 1

Fox had months to find a chick who speaks Russian and English and we get this very good looking Russian reporter.... with one of the most cliche MOOSE & SQUIRREL accents out there.

shes hot, but its really tough trying to understand her- especially since it seems like she's yelling at me the whole time, like the fake Mexican announcer we have all tuned away from

I have been watching Telemundo at home, but Fox Sports at the office on my tablet.  I hate to admit, but I think Tony Meola is slowly growing on me.  I thought he did well with the Germany-Mexico match and the first half of the one today.  His voice leaves something to be desired and it sounds like he is falling asleep, but his analysis is reasonable and not filled with platitudes.  Not perfect, but in comparison to Cobi Jones, Aly Wagner and Barton, not bad.

I had as much hope for Stu Holden's playing career as I have hate for his announcing one.  May they both be similar in length.  By the way, what is Johnny Evans up to these days?

Edited by Kringelbert Fishtybuns

They keep referring to teams by their FIFA world rankings like it's college football. "Coming up a tof top 10 teams as no.10 Spain takes on no.3 Portugal." I can't even explain how a company that's been covering the sport for so long can do something so out of touch.

Edited by Goo Punch

23 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

They keep referring to teams by their FIFA world rankings like it's college football. "Coming up a tof top 10 teams as no.10 Spain takes on no.3 Portugal." I can't even explain how a company that's been covering the sport for so long can do something so out of touch.

It just comes back to them putting out coverage for people that don't even follow the sport which is in and of itself out of touch. Fox sucks. 

• Like 1

Haven't seen much as I'm @ DisneyDisney, but tuned in late last night and saw 2 1/2 women (well 2 women and Grant Wahl), some guy, and some other guy playing the role of a goofy Mexican caricature and that was enough for me.  I get what yall are bitching about.

32 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

FIFA rankings currently say Switzerland is the 6th best team in the world.  So, yeah.  

FIFA’s “rankings” also had the US at No. 4 before the 2006 World Cup. We know how that turned out. 

Fox sucks big time. I was glad when Fiore was gone from Univision now I have to deal with him on Fox and I lose Lalas which I like. I am getting Telemundo to see if I can get good coverage. Univision because they lack the rights sucks. Telemundo from streaming looks like it might suck too.

honest question for those of y'all who like Lalas- do you honestly like him and what he brings, or is it one of those, "he's so comical and blatantly American ("it's about guts and balls", lol) that you find it endearing, a la Bill Walton? because both are absolutely terrible, yet they have these fan bases that i can't explain.

4 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

honest question for those of y'all who like Lalas- do you honestly like him and what he brings, or is it one of those, "he's so comical and blatantly American ("it's about guts and balls", lol) that you find it endearing, a la Bill Walton? because both are absolutely terrible, yet they have these fan bases that i can't explain.

i like Lalas because he was one of the heros of '94; fellow sammers have a strong connection to that generation of players, such that one might say "he's one of us".

he has had to tone down his takes in the past several years, but along with waldo and martino, he harbors the mild sanitized form of opinions shared by very very few.

5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

But you just did.

Frankly, where I get him is this:

4 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I like him because he doesn't toe the line w/ US Soccer.  He was the absolute first to criticize what was going on long before it became "cool".  He's about 150th in line per my list of complaints about sports channels, announcers, etc...

Is he great? No. Is he good enough? Yes.

This article says that although Telemundo is in far fewer homes in the US, it is edging out FS1 & FOX.

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2018/06/20/telemundo-beating-fox-world-cup-tv-ratings-battle/

What I don't think that they take into account is that people may just be watching Telemundo without cable/satellite. (That's what I would be doing at my parents' house, because they don't have cable.) And Telemundo is available via traditional broadcast to far more homes than they state. Every city of any size at all has Telemundo. I would say that it is available in more homes than FS1 due to people needing cable and a cable package that offers FS1.

Anyways, FOX sucks.

Hes kind of a smart ass. But I'm not getting the same smart ass vibe with fox as I did when he was with ESPN. Hes a little more quiet.

I have no problem with Lalas criticizing US Soccer nor with his overt homerism.  In fact, I would rather have my commentators for US games be blatantly biased.

The problem I have with his criticism is most of the times when pressed, he would make platitudes about attitude/desire, but have no real ideas for positive changes to be made either with team tactics or soccer development in the country.  Which makes sense, because as a player he had the touch of an elephant, the vision of Mr Magoo and only performed due to effort - essentially a less talented Jeff Agoos. Thus he comes off as nothing but a drunk DKR fan yelling "get him". 

Harkes, Wynalda and Balboa were all from '94 and have all criticized US Soccer with legitimate ideas on how we change tactics, player roles and how we go about in youth development/recruitment.  I may not agree with them on everything, but there is substance.  For all his faults as a coach, Klinsmann fought to add more youth to the side and was outspoken about Americans running back home to the safety of the MLS at the first sign of difficulties in Europe.  He was also good in his TV spots on previous WCs as well.

My problem with Lalas is that he is given a platform to make real commentary, but doesn't have the substance to back it up.  There are others with legitimate ideas that don't get the same chance.  I think that chance solely stems from the fact that he had a recognizable goatee/name and therefore will have perceived market value for Fox to the non-soccer fan.  If he were just there to play the Fiore role, he would be just fine.

Edited by Kringelbert Fishtybuns
  • Like 2

On 6/19/2018 at 9:18 PM, Irwin F Fletcher said:

Holy Hell! I didn't really understand what everyone was bitching about regarding Fox's commentators. I'm watching the replay of Japan vs Columbia............what the flying fuck?!?! If I want to listen to a Hispanic broadcaster I'll tune into Telamundo. 

Nothing wrong with having a Hispanic broadcaster.  It's just that the main one for Fox is  horribad.

Oh also I was bored the other night and flipped over for the start of World Cup Tonight on FS1.

Wow that was so bad I couldn't last more than 5 minutes.  Clearly they're trying to replicate the ESPN version from before but they have Fernando Fiore as the host instead of a Bob Ley or Rece Davis.  And Fiore plays it up like a stooge insead of an actual host.  Just terrible

On 6/21/2018 at 8:09 AM, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

My problem with Lalas is that he is given a platform to make real commentary, but doesn't have the substance to back it up.  There are others with legitimate ideas that don't get the same chance.  I think that chance solely stems from the fact that he had a recognizable goatee/name and therefore will have perceived market value for Fox to the non-soccer fan.  If he were just there to play the Fiore role, he would be just fine.

Maybe Lalas continues to be hired, because he doesn't get too critical of US Soccer. Perhaps if he used his platform, it would be taken away... and he's on a pretty nice gravy train at the moment. I don't now what else he would do if he weren't a talking head.

Colombia scores a goal which means the second is spot is decided on fair play points

Ten minutes later JP Dellacamera mentions it for the first time on the broadcast

Ten more minutes later he says "We don't know about the yellow cards in the Japan game"

So two things:

1) The match producer should've IMMEDIATELY made sure he knew that fair play was in play

2) I don't fully blame him for not knowing the yellow card situation in the Japan game, but he's not in the stadium. He's in a studio in Los Angeles. Every resource should've been available to him and his producer to find out.

That was an atrocity in broadcasting by Fox.

12 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Watched the England-Colombia game on fox and the crowd mic is pumped in about 47x louder than Telemundo. I don’t blame fox for wanting to drown out their shitty announcers but shit the crowd noise was loud. 

You should try to listen to this on Sirius.  We were on the road last week and the radio broadcast was completely unlistenable.

I also think it's weird that you can hear the ball's being kicked but none of the vocals/talking on the field.

When on TV - change to Univision/Telemundo (fuck it: channel 27).

When in the car - listen to Fox with the sound turned down enough I can stand it.

Fuck, just hire some British guys who don't posture all the time or try to fill up every second with idiot talk.