Jack Ryan Season 1

Parliament

• 2 months later...
On 6/12/2018 at 7:09 AM, Chet Steadman said:

I’m sure Krazinski is a fine actor and all and he was great in ‘A Quiet Place’, but I still only see Jim Halpert in every movie or show he stars in.  

Haven't seen A Quiet Place, but I've always been disappointed with him in anything but The Office. Who knows, maybe he can pull a Ryan Reynolds and turn his career around.

1 hour ago, lateshow said:

Wife and kids are gone tonight, I figure I'll give this a go after the local football game. 

Do not watch it with kids around.  It did a very good job of earning its mature/R/whatever rating.

I finished three last night.  Cast and locations have been fantastic. Impressed they filmed in Morocco, but as I said, they spent the bucks on this thing.  Editing feels very tight.  Just a well-made series.

Spoiler

Liked the shoutout to Alec Baldwin

Liked the 50 year old who got nekkid and freaky.  She needs to be in the 40 and over thread.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

Question for those who watched through the first 7 episodes.  

[spiler]

So in episode 5, much of the CIA management is wiped out, and Jack becomes the Director of the CIA (or Director of Central Intelligence).  Then in episode 6, at the beginning, a bunch of management in the other intelligence agencies gets wiped out, and Jack becomes the Director of National Intelligence over all agencies.

Episode 7 sees him become Secretary of State after his predecessor dies in a mysterious car crash, and then finishes when the President is addressing Congress, and everybody in the Capitol building is killed by the North Korean airliner.  

Jack becomes President, simply because he was in Maryland on a date with Cathy.

Doesn't that seem a bit contrived and rushed?

[/spoiler]

And in that vein

Spoiler

I'm just kidding, but I still worry that this thing ends in 3-4 seasons with him becoming President.

19 hours ago, RPM said:

Haven't seen A Quiet Place, but I've always been disappointed with him in anything but The Office. Who knows, maybe he can pull a Ryan Reynolds and turn his career around.

Ever seen 13 hours?  I thought he was great in that.  The movie was really good, too.  Crazy intense.

On 6/14/2018 at 4:42 PM, F250 said:

I don't get the Jack Ryan vibe from this trailer. It seems like a generic CIA series using the Ryan name.

I am 5 episodes in and its definitely a lot of this.   

Its still an interesting watch, but if this was called  "Random CIA analyst tracks down a bad muslim"  it would hold the same concept.

I mean they do have James Greer, and they have Cathy Mueller written in,  but for some odd fucking reason, even though Clancy gave a pretty good backstory to all 3 of those characters, this show has completely re-written their backstory.

I know it sounds petty, but why the fuck do you take the time to buy the rights to Jack Ryan, and suddenly have him graduate from Boston College instead of Annapolis?    

And Cathy Mueller- Ryan.... it was established in all the books that she was a badass ophthalmologist.    So now shes suddenly a badass epidemiologist?

and James Greer might actually not have even served in the Navy, he's just a lower-level CIA middle manager

I get that its a reboot, and they are trying to catch Jack when he was "younger" but it just seems  pretty stupid to change normal backstories without a specific reason.  So far, I see no reason why we changed Cathy's specialty, or Jack's alma mater.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I get that its a reboot, and they are trying to catch Jack when he was "younger" but it just seems  pretty stupid to change normal backstories without a specific reason.  So far, I see no reason why we changed Cathy's specialty, or Jack's alma mater.

The fact that there was hit you in the face "CATHY TRAVELS THE WORLD" references makes me think that it will come into play at some point (Season 2?).  Ophthalmologists don't exactly get around as much.  Perhaps some terrorist creates some nasty bug and she gets pulled in.

Agreed on Greer.  I'm guessing it's more about creating somebody to be a buddy to Jack, rather than a mentor, but I could be wrong.

As for changing Jack's alma mater, there's a couple of things going on, with the main one being that this Jack gave up a lucrative career in finance/trading to join the Marines, and he got his injuries and was discharged, so he picked something that would still "keep him in the game" so to speak, rather than go back to trading or whatever.  

I don't think the timeline quite matches up to him joining the Marines right after 9/11 - I think somewhere when Greer was looking at his record, it said he was born in 1982, so if he wanted to join up after 9/11, he would have not have finished college by then.  I could be wrong and might have missed it, but it seems like he was in the private sector for at least a few years, long enough to get noticed by Cathy's dad, and then he joined the Marines (maybe around 2006-2008?).

I haven't finished, but I am guessing they will tell us why he joined the Marines.

If they had kept him at Annapolis, the timeline would be for him to graduate around 2003-2004, spend several years in the Marines, get injured, join the private sector, then come back to the CIA.

But we are talking about folks that worked on Lost, so who knows where things are going to go.

25 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

As for changing Jack's alma mater, there's a couple of things going on, with the main one being that this Jack gave up a lucrative career in finance/trading to join the Marines, and he got his injuries and was discharged, so he picked something that would still "keep him in the game" so to speak, rather than go back to trading or whatever.  

I don't think the timeline quite matches up to him joining the Marines right after 9/11 - I think somewhere when Greer was looking at his record, it said he was born in 1982, so if he wanted to join up after 9/11, he would have not have finished college by then.  I could be wrong and might have missed it, but it seems like he was in the private sector for at least a few years, long enough to get noticed by Cathy's dad, and then he joined the Marines (maybe around 2006-2008?).

again, nitpicking, but Jack could have been born in 81, graduated Annapolis in 2002,  served for a year, had the helicopter crash (which is what forced him out of the Marines originally anyway),  gone back to school for his MBA for 2 years, worked in finance afterwards, for 7 years (and gotten his doctorate at the same time), quit and joined the CIA and still been there 4 years,  with 2 years of fudge time to spare and still fully have the rest of his backstory. 

Edited by AUS-97HORN

3 episodes in and it's better than I expected. Not perfect by any means, but very watchable. Krasinski doesn't have the Jim vibe at all. That was my biggest concern. Supporting cast is above average and the action scenes are well done. We'll see how the writing holds out.

I haven't read any books, just watched the movies, so the back story didn't bother me like tons of people on imdb. I didn't get spending so much time on the drone pilot, especially the Vegas scenes. Other than that I enjoyed it. I would give it a 7.5. probably won't watch again, but looking forward to the following seasons.. now starting Ozark

I'll be vague for spoiler since I'm on Tapatalk.

Spoiler

I also didn't get the scene where he's chasing the guy out of the building, doesn't get a shot, and just stops chasing him?

I also didn't get the scene where he's chasing the guy out of the building, doesn't get a shot, and just stops chasing him?

Edited by BNB

9 hours ago, Spoetzl said:

Ryan in the books did go to BC.  He taught at Annapolis.

Just finished it, thought it was good.  Kind of slow moving at times.  I did like that they show him as decisive, a key trait in the books.

well then god dammit, neg rep the shit out of me.

Ive read the books but its been too long and the movies must have overlapped my brain. 

sorry for the rant folks you can all now tell me to shut the fuck up. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I am 5 episodes in and its definitely a lot of this.   

Its still an interesting watch, but if this was called  "Random CIA analyst tracks down a bad muslim"  it would hold the same concept.

I mean they do have James Greer, and they have Cathy Mueller written in,  but for some odd fucking reason, even though Clancy gave a pretty good backstory to all 3 of those characters, this show has completely re-written their backstory.

I know it sounds petty, but why the fuck do you take the time to buy the rights to Jack Ryan, and suddenly have him graduate from Boston College instead of Annapolis?    

And Cathy Mueller- Ryan.... it was established in all the books that she was a badass ophthalmologist.    So now shes suddenly a badass epidemiologist?

and James Greer might actually not have even served in the Navy, he's just a lower-level CIA middle manager

I'm 3 episodes in and all of this 

Your thoughts aren't petty, they are spot fucking on and the small things like all this are kind of turning me off. 

I''ll finish the series but so far its very generic, not a fan of the actress playing Cathy and not only was Greer not  a Navy vet but he's a muslim convert ...

And a little disappointed this isn't in 4k

• Like 1

It's quite lukewarm. Problem is in trying for "balance" other shows have done the angles that Jack Ryan wants to play up much better. Hell Homeland is better (when it wants to be) on the CIA and understanding fundamentalism ("this is a serious drama") part. Action set-piece wise, Strike-Back was far more enjoyable..

I thought it was more like the ghost written ones- at least Greaney's, which are pretty good.  To that end, I'm wondering why they didn't just make the show for Jack Ryan Jr. instead of Sr.  The timeline would be correct, as would the fact that Jr. is a financial guy who morphs into a field operative.  He also answers to Clark- who is a lot more like the TV show's Greer than the books' Greer.  The other characters of "The Campus" could have been written in seamlessly too.

As for the show, I liked it enough to have finished it quickly but only, I think, because I mentally dissociated it with the Clancy universe after a few episodes.  I knew when they set it current day that it wasn't going to be super true to the books but I guess I was hoping for something closer to what Amazon did with Michael Connelly's Bosch series, where plenty of concessions are made but the core personalities and story-lines are true to the novels and woven together nicely. 

Edited by TexasHooch
  • Like 1

I'm 3 episodes in and all of this 
Your thoughts aren't petty, they are spot fucking on and the small things like all this are kind of turning me off. 
I''ll finish the series but so far its very generic, not a fan of the actress playing Cathy and not only was Greer not  a Navy vet but he's a muslim convert ...
And a little disappointed this isn't in 4k

It’s in 4K on my tv.

Three episodes in and the jury’s still out. But so far, some of the cuff thoughts:

Positives

- I like the Cathy casting

- I like seeing Jack and Cathy’s dad’s backstory

- I’m enjoying seeing Jack this young in his career

Negative

- so far, I think Greer’s all wrong. The temperament doesn’t feel right, nor does the execution. It feels like Bunk Moreland playing Greer

- the storyline is ok but the writing starting to feel like a higher budget NCIS. I expect more thought from a Clancy story. 

2 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

hahhaha.  I loved the look on Jack's face when he walks into the briefing about ebola.  

Spoiler

Given that it's the Lost guys behind this series, I knew that was why they changed Cathy's background - it was a clever/funny way for her to find out he was in the CIA.

So last November, the 18th Jack Ryan novel came out.

I am glad I stopped reading at Red Rabbit.  I read a few others (Rainbow 6 stuff), but yeah, the Clancy Universe is insane.

Edited by atomheartbevo

So for those curious about Season 2 - spoilers ahead.

Spoiler

The second season will be set in South America, where Ryan takes on "a dangerous, declining democratic regime."

https://deadline.com/2018/04/tom-clancys-jack-ryan-renewed-season-2-amazon-ahead-of-premiere-john-krasinski-star-1202375532/

Season 2 has been filming this summer.