Bourdain on the Red-Blue Divide

MaybeACoordinator

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Meh.  I bring you the value you deserve.

Kinda like we get the government we deserve.

This shit sandwich is what you signed up for.  Now, eat up.

Can you do the projection thing again where you accuse others of endorsing the tactics that feed the death spiral right after you explicitly endorse the tactics that feed the death spiral. Cause that was that good freebase brisket nonsense that we've come to expect. 

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Can you do the projection thing again where you accuse others of endorsing the tactics that feed the death spiral right after you explicitly endorse the tactics that feed the death spiral. Cause that was that good freebase brisket nonsense that we've come to expect. 

I dunno, can you do the thing where you pretend to be all "both sides" but excuse the Trumpism bullshit?  It's totes adorbs, as the kids say. 

That way, we could do a cool little give-and-take dance that the crowd will surely love.

You're the one who wants to burn this motherfucker down.  I propose the novel idea of giving you EXACTLY what you want, and giving it to you good and hard.  Not sure why you're bitching.  This is what you want.

47 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

No, he'll go down as one of the better ones. Because he was. 

repeating something doesn't make it true, he'll go down in history as the first black president a man who did not keep campaign promises of closing gitmo, getting out of Afghanistan, making bills public for 5 days before he signs them. A stagnant economy, the rise of the jv team err isis, benghazi, using the irs to attack conservatives, worsening race relations and his war on fox news.

I can go on and on, certainly not one of the worst we've had but hes far from one the greatest.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

You're the one who wants to burn this motherfucker down. 

Not sure how many times I can flesh out my perspective. Apparently not enough that you actually get it. But you do you b. Rant at your imaginary strawmen, while you become the thing that you tell us all that you deplore. 

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Sure I did.  That's what happens when facts, logic, and reason are burned to the ground.  They don't.  Fucking.  Matter.

I personally think it's insane that people are watching what's happening and NOT seeing it as a complete fucking multidimensional disaster that we will never recover from, even if things go well after 2020.

Your facts are just name calling. Hilarious how butt flustered and delusional dude. Get a life and turn off msnbc.

Your facts are just name calling. Hilarious how butt flustered and delusional dude. Get a life and turn off msnbc.

I’ve seen MSNBC maybe a handful of times in my life.

I’ve tried facts. I’ve posted paragraphs of them, particularly on the other board. They don’t make a fucking difference. Not a single bit. Trumpkins and enablers don’t care.

Pick up an issue of the Economist. Read any of the facts in that. Those are what I go with. They don’t matter, either. Post-truth world now. If I’m deluded, then the fine folks at the Economist share much of my delusion.

But you’re probably right. This is all fine, nothing to be concerned about. Happy days are here again!

4 minutes ago, Mole said:

You've posted this before. It's an interesting snapshot of a time, but putting much stock in the rankings of the last several presidents is painfully shortsighted. Harding was once wildly popular. 

No list worth a damn has a president who's not been out of office for at least 20 years. It's about as reliable as a Memorial day top 100 rock song countdown and the no. 1 song is something by Coldplay.

I actually think Obama was a fine president and history will look fondly upon him. I also, as the sands of time have fell, have come to really appreciate Dubya as a man who tried to do the best he could within his ideological framework and with what he had, and had some grade-A empathy, humor and people-skills. That being said, I probably would have grown to see some really favorable and honorable things about Hillary, like I did with Michelle Obama, given some time to co-exist. Maybe that's just how I am, I eventually see the good traits bubble up over the heavier silt.

Regardless, I think from reading Brisket's posts it sounds like he's upset that people have read his bloviated "facts" on this board and the last, have read every one of his repackaged paragraphs with the exact same emotional charge with both the psuedo-authority markers of the breathlessly urgent absolutes and the stilted sentence fragments and punctuation emphases, and we aren't falling all over ourselves to nominate him as Surly's wise elder statesman and giving him the message board Nobel peace prize. Brisket, I know pontificating and looking like a genius to your 9 year old's is fun (frankly, it's part of the job as a leader/father at times, I get it), but we aren't your rebellious teenagers who just don't know better. For the most part these people calling you out for being a loon and lamenting the old you, are smarter than you. In fact, in what other aspect do most sane people lament the old someone and are worried and concerned for psycho behavior? Isn't that usually in some sort of intervention setting. Has it truly not dawned on you that, at the very minimum, you should take some time and check-in somewhere for exhaustion?

Take that for what is is worth, and we all have anecdotes and truths and experience that inform our thoughts, attitudes and other cognition and by all means enjoy yours, but the deranged behavioral psychology falling out of your ass on every thread the last 6 months is like the sick dog who immediately shits his food he ate as he limps around howling in pain.

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

He's going to go down in history as one of this country's better presidents.

You should get used to that.

You're going to go down in history as one of this country's worst predictors.  You should get used to that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

You're always on the wrong end of the big bad liberal conspiracies, aren't you snowflake? It's so unfair.

How many damn people on the political board am I going to have to post the "this may well be the stupidest person in the world" clip from Ruthless People for?

From Ranking the Presidents on Wikipedia.

A 2013 History News Network poll of 203 American historians, when asked to rate Obama's presidency on an A–F scale, gave him a B- grade. Obama, whom historians graded using 15 separate measures plus an overall grade, was rated most highly in the categories of communication ability, integrity and crisis management; and most poorly for his relationship with Congress, transparency and accountability

Sounds good except it is impossible to rate high in integrity and rate poor in transparency and accountability. Transparency and accountability are components of integrity.  It is like rating high in math while rating poorly in addition and subtraction.  This is the problem with "measuring" history.  There are no measurements for history.  Not even the goofiest  Euroweenie academic has tried to apply the metric system to history.

15 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Sounds good except it is impossible to rate high in integrity and rate poor in transparency and accountability. Transparency and accountability are components of integrity.  It is like rating high in math while rating poorly in addition and subtraction.  This is the problem with "measuring" history.  There are no measurements for history.  Not even the goofiest  Euroweenie academic has tried to apply the metric system to history.

One could take poll results to individual qualities and apply a geometrical weighting system.

Edited by JBJ

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I love Bourdain.  I used to think the way he did.

But he was wrong.  I know such people.  I'm related to several such people.  We've tried to understand them.  We've tried to listen to them, understand them, and reason with them.  It can't be done.  The Trumpkins do not speak facts, logic, and reason.  They speak only in terms of anger, cruelty, and joy in the suffering of others. 

They can't be converted -- I'm not even talking about converting them to some other side of the political spectrum; I'm simply talking about converting them to a world of facts and logic.  It can't be done, so trying to do so is an utter and complete waste of time.  100% waste of time.  Effectively ZERO Trumpkins will ever change.  They have tied their entire self-worth - and there ain't much there - to the success of their orange God.  That means that they can never back off of that, because that would admit failure, and deplete the minimal self-worth that they have.  They'd sooner die.  They NEED to see others suffer.  They NEED to revel in cruelty.  They aren't going up.  So others must suffer.

Time to speak their language.

And the country will be destroyed because of it.  The cycle can't end.  It can only get faster, and worse.

Wow, talk about someone living rent -free in your head.  You’ve officially gone off the rails. 

• Like 1

i don't haven't the slightest idea why you are trying to interact with posters who offer nothing but condescending BS. its a fucking disease. ignore them.

Did you just mention Brisket and condescension in the same sentence but refer to someone else? This is indeed madness.

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

How about the rage and anger from the center-right?  We're included in this shitshow too.

You are not center right. You’re insane. 

This presidency will improve Obama's standings in the rankings of presidents through history. There were a lot of problems with it, but when you're followed by a petulant child who Time has put on the cover dressed as a king it only makes you look better in retrospect.

I have zero doubt that Trump has done some good things. I have zero doubt there are aspects of what he is doing that he fundamentally believes are right and good for America. However, anyone that supports his way of doing it just shits all over the democracy that we have been built upon and would be up in arms if the shoe was on the other foot.  

2 minutes ago, Tennesseehorn said:

GotDamn that is one idiotic statement. 

You might disagree with it politically, but it is a historically true statement.

I understand why it angers you. Most of your guys suck and fuck everything up.

Edited by David Dennison

8 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Bourdain was just peddling a different flavor of patronizing, patriarchal liberal bullshit that presumes that right-wingers and the rurals are feckless, emotional, incompetent pussies who can't take criticism or jokes. That may be a valid presumption, but it's way more insulting than, "Get your shit together you fucking rednecks." because at least that is built on the presumption that the rednecks can do better.

To add two points to this:

1. It makes the assumption that people who are making squirrel stew three days a week vote for Trump and the people with indoor plumbing didn't, which is horseshit. Sure, Trump did better in some demographic than other, or some regions than others, but it wasn't the deciding factor.  Class and region are not the deciding factors; a conscience decision to vote for bigotry, fear, and basic assholishness is what defines a Trump voter. I'm not going to restrict my comments out of some bullshit fear of offending this sensitive subtle subculture of America.  He pulled in suburbanites from across the country who were afraid of the "rapists and drug dealers" that Mexico are sending us, who rail against the uncontrolled migration of Muslim terrorists, and who really feel they need to take a stand against black people who object to getting murdered by the police.  Its not like Donald Trump is anything other than an East Coast elitist. I don't give a fuck if it's Cletus hoping for that sweet keno payoff so he can afford a double-wide, or Janis from HR who talks about that time she was heroic when a panhandler asked her for change, or Chip whose net worth just went up another $72M based on nothing else than money grab in the tax code, I'm going to insult them all just the same for voting for this piece of shit. 

2. As a Nebraskan who grew up in the 80s, let me say "fuck you" to my rural Nebraska brethren who feel that liberals are being so condescending to them that they had to vote for this piece of shit.  It wasn't the Rush Limbaugh who held FarmAid when the banks were legally taking your farms in the 80s.  It wasn't the conservatives who thought there should be a buffer against the normal fluctuations in a free market economy.  If I had an issue with your culture, I would not have given a fuck if your family farms were consolidated into more efficient corporate farms.  I thought there was a piece of culture worth preserving there.  Now, excuse me while I fail to give a shit. 

• Like 4

On 6/11/2018 at 4:11 PM, Brisketexan said:

And that's fair.  It's all forward-looking. One of us is going to be closer to right than the other.  I genuinely hope it's you.  I'm just not betting on it.

Maybe if you tell us 18,832 more times we'd get your point.   

Edited by Hornius Emeritus
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tuco said:

To add two points to this:

1. It makes the assumption that people who are making squirrel stew three days a week vote for Trump and the people with indoor plumbing didn't, which is horseshit. Sure, Trump did better in some demographic than other, or some regions than others, but it wasn't the deciding factor.  Class and region are not the deciding factors; a conscience decision to vote for bigotry, fear, and basic assholishness is what defines a Trump voter. I'm not going to restrict my comments out of some bullshit fear of offending this sensitive subtle subculture of America.  He pulled in suburbanites from across the country who were afraid of the "rapists and drug dealers" that Mexico are sending us, who rail against the uncontrolled migration of Muslim terrorists, and who really feel they need to take a stand against black people who object to getting murdered by the police.  Its not like Donald Trump is anything other than an East Coast elitist. I don't give a fuck if it's Cletus hoping for that sweet keno payoff so he can afford a double-wide, or Janis from HR who talks about that time she was heroic when a panhandler asked her for change, or Chip whose net worth just went up another $72M based on nothing else than money grab in the tax code, I'm going to insult them all just the same for voting for this piece of shit. 

2. As a Nebraskan who grew up in the 80s, let me say "fuck you" to my rural Nebraska brethren who feel that liberals are being so condescending to them that they had to vote for this piece of shit.  It wasn't the Rush Limbaugh who held FarmAid when the banks were legally taking your farms in the 80s.  It wasn't the conservatives who thought there should be a buffer against the normal fluctuations in a free market economy.  If I had an issue with your culture, I would not have given a fuck if your family farms were consolidated into more efficient corporate farms.  I thought there was a piece of culture worth preserving there.  Now, excuse me while I fail to give a shit. 

To your first point, I agree with you. I remember the first time it dawned on me that real life "normal" people of means and success (and ostensibly brains) were taking Trump seriously when I got lost in a really affluent neighborhood after a birthday party and dead-ended into the cul-de-sac and noticed, "wow, these huge houses all have Trump signs in their yard and I don't think they are being ironic..."

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I love Bourdain.  I used to think the way he did.

But he was wrong.  I know such people.  I'm related to several such people.  We've tried to understand them.  We've tried to listen to them, understand them, and reason with them.  It can't be done.  The Trumpkins do not speak facts, logic, and reason.  They speak only in terms of anger, cruelty, and joy in the suffering of others. 

They can't be converted -- I'm not even talking about converting them to some other side of the political spectrum; I'm simply talking about converting them to a world of facts and logic.  It can't be done, so trying to do so is an utter and complete waste of time.  100% waste of time.  Effectively ZERO Trumpkins will ever change.  They have tied their entire self-worth - and there ain't much there - to the success of their orange God.  That means that they can never back off of that, because that would admit failure, and deplete the minimal self-worth that they have.  They'd sooner die.  They NEED to see others suffer.  They NEED to revel in cruelty.  They aren't going up.  So others must suffer.

Time to speak their language.

And the country will be destroyed because of it.  The cycle can't end.  It can only get faster, and worse.

The lack of self-awareness is breath-taking.

27 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

To your first point, I agree with you. I remember the first time it dawned on me that real life "normal" people of means and success (and ostensibly brains) were taking Trump seriously when I got lost in a really affluent neighborhood after a birthday party and dead-ended into the cul-de-sac and noticed, "wow, these huge houses all have Trump signs in their yard and I don't think they are being ironic..."

It's always been true, but the election of Trump is a lesson that we are all on the same planet but in different worlds.

Now, more than ever, I try to keep political discussions in social situations turned 180 degrees away from political parties and specific politicians. Policy-focus is where common ground can be found -- or at least interesting conversation.

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I’ve seen MSNBC maybe a handful of times in my life.

I’ve tried facts. I’ve posted paragraphs of them, particularly on the other board. They don’t make a fucking difference. Not a single bit. Trumpkins and enablers don’t care.

Pick up an issue of the Economist. Read any of the facts in that. Those are what I go with. They don’t matter, either. Post-truth world now. If I’m deluded, then the fine folks at the Economist share much of my delusion.

But you’re probably right. This is all fine, nothing to be concerned about. Happy days are here again!

Stop calling people Trumpkins it instantly alienates people from taking any of your ideas seriously. You feed into the troll culture that you hate.

If you really want a black pill read this.

http://kunstler.com/writings/clusterfuck-nation/

11 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

From Ranking the Presidents on Wikipedia.

High integrity like IRS targeting conservative groups, accountability like Fast and Furious, transparency like Benghazi. Sure thing.

14 hours ago, Aphelion said:

This may come as a surprise to you, but around 158 years ago the country divided into two and went to physical war against one another in what is known as the civil war.  It's true they didn't post mean-spirited memes and say condescending things to each other on message boards and social media, so we do have those significant hurdles that they didn't have to deal with; but they did have muskets and bayonets and cannons and they used them to decapitate and disembowel each other and generally just tried to massacre one another with in a rather brutal fashion; and beyond this they were sometimes even impolite and would say hateful and insulting things to one another, even directly to each other's face.  It was pretty horrific.  You could see how the whole thing could get pretty heated, somewhat similar to how heated you can get when you have to talk with someone who voted for Trump.  So even in the past the country had to deal with the significant obstacles similar to what you have to put up with on a day to day basis.

But the good news is that the country survived the civil war.  So there is hope that the country may survive our modern day equivalent with the message board battles, even though there will be many unfortunate casualties like all wars must have.   

preston-brooks.jpg

1 hour ago, Bill Clinton said:

High integrity like IRS targeting conservative groups, accountability like Fast and Furious, transparency like Benghazi. Sure thing.

You mean that thing the GOP investigated for years and ended up quietly abandoning when they found it didn't actually happen?  That IRS targeting?

Edited by DixonHur
Damn it...David beat me to it

1 hour ago, Bill Clinton said:

Stop calling people Trumpkins it instantly alienates people from taking any of your ideas seriously. You feed into the troll culture that you hate.

I just don't understand.  I mean, I see what Trump and his team is doing, and all that I'm proposing is more of the same. 

I thought this stuff was a-ok, right?  Nothing to be alarmed about?  No problem at all, this is fine?  Hell, not only is it fine, it's going to Make America Great Again.  I like America. I want it to be Great Again.

I am puzzled why anyone thinks I'm going off the deep end for saying effectively "I think the rest of us should act like the President of the United States and his team of advisers and fans."  Is that not the order of the day?  Was the wrong memo routed to me?  Is this because Peter didn't put the cover sheet on the damned TPS report?

• Like 1

You went off the deep end several months ago. Your long winded rants each post, with several words in all-caps for EMPHASIS, are repetitive garbage. You are not who you purport to be and suspect never were. You’ve become one of the most annoying posters here. 

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I just don't understand.  I mean, I see what Trump and his team is doing, and all that I'm proposing is more of the same. 

I thought this stuff was a-ok, right?  Nothing to be alarmed about?  No problem at all, this is fine?  Hell, not only is it fine, it's going to Make America Great Again.  I like America. I want it to be Great Again.

I am puzzled why anyone thinks I'm going off the deep end for saying effectively "I think the rest of us should act like the President of the United States and his team of advisers and fans."  Is that not the order of the day?  Was the wrong memo routed to me?  Is this because Peter didn't put the cover sheet on the damned TPS report?

I think you should calm down and realize politics has become a game, and the name of the game is internet troll culture wars. The click bait articles, the loose and fast truth, the overwhelming amount of information on the internet. It all adds up, fortunately it all adds up to zero. It's ideas perpetuating though the internet to people who consume it, people who sweep the floor at fucking mcdonalds and will never do anything with their life.

It's entertainment for the mob. Left vs. Right, who is going to win this heated battle of empty promises. Watch on the next episode of American Politics (tm). It's fake. If you haven't noticed that, you are still under the spell. You still believe pro wrasslin is real too, can't wait for your favorite good guy to body slam the hated bad guy huh?

Not trying to be a nihilist, but it's pretty obvious that the money and wars aren't going to change based on what color the "controlling" party is. The alphabets do what they do, the puppets in politics do what they do, none of it has anything to do with what is said on tv or in the news.

Edit: Listen to this.

https://www.dancarlin.com/product/common-sense-318-for-whom-the-bell-trolls/

Edited by Bill Clinton

3 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

You went off the deep end several months ago. Your long winded rants each post, with several words in all-caps for EMPHASIS, are repetitive garbage. You are not who you purport to be and suspect never were. You’ve become one of the most annoying posters here. 

Well, my posts have gotten much shorter.  You should appreciate that.

As for being annoying, I'm simply trying to be presidential.  Does it not look good on me?  Should I tie my tie to fit a bit longer or something?

One problem, Bill -- the game DOES translate to reality.  It translated to votes, which translated to a candidate like Trump winning.  The game has jumped into the real world.  And the stupid rhetoric has become reality.

But, I mean, that's cool.  Let's play, right?  I love games.

23 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

One problem, Bill -- the game DOES translate to reality.  It translated to votes, which translated to a candidate like Trump winning.  The game has jumped into the real world.  And the stupid rhetoric has become reality.

But, I mean, that's cool.  Let's play, right?  I love games.

It's not cool, someone with a 70 IQ, zero investment to the country, and is 100% manipulated has the same voting power as someone with 135 IQ, owns a business with employees, thinks for themselves.

A Well-Informed Electorate Is a Prerequisite for Democracy - Some old white dude

We don't have that. Democracy is now a joke. If the lazy outnumber the working class, they can vote for the government to take away money from the working class to give to themselves. Sweet! Until it drives more people to the welfare state, and the whole thing collapses...

Do you really believe the most powerful military force in the world chooses it's commander-in-chief every 4 years based on what bubble illiterate 18 year olds fill in?