Bourdain on the Red-Blue Divide

MaybeACoordinator

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Bourbon, dude.  Bourbon.  Or scotch.  I'm down with all the brown liquors.  I've got plenty of chairs.

If we drink enough of it together, I'd probably even give you a hug, and tell you how awesome you really are, or something like that.  I'm not a mean drunk.

I am though. That's why I'm the lead singer of Purse Chihuahua.

Edited by RDCanecutter

Just now, RDCanecutter said:

I am though. That's why I'm the lead singer of Purse Chihuahua.

You and my wife, man.  You and my wife.

She ONLY gets mean when she drinks WAY too much.  It's good that she doesn't drink like she did in her younger days.

Isn't it absolutely insane, looking through the prism of 2018, that such a minor thing as an awkward and poorly executed rally/pep talk punctuated with a weird scream-like noise was something that was a total deal-breaker back then? That clip posted on the last page wouldn't crack the top 100 of outrageous sound bytes in the 2016 election cycle, but it was enough for all of America to lose their shit and be like, "nope. can't do it. the man is a monster. psycho. who screams like that? can you imagine THAT in the white house? nope."

And the media. Complete character assassination from the media. Just watch the minute long clip to take a jog down that memory lane and do a comparison yourself. Pretty hilarious actually.

5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Remember when being a dork riding in a tank was enough to cost you an election.

No, who was that? Sounds like something John Kerry would do. Being a dork, that is, not rid on a tank.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Remember when being a dork riding in a tank was enough to cost you an election.

That didn't cost him that election.  Any more than any one of Swoopes incomplete passes costing us our last game against Arkansas in the Texas Bowl.

6 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

I'm in the same boat. That said to this day I still "understand" why people would vote for Trump. I don't agree with them obviously but that doesn't make them ALL a racist, redneck, Trumpkin, misogynist, idiot, moron, etc. 

What I don't understand is how those people who supposedly aren't racist, redneck, misogynistic, etc. still support Trump.  I get voting for him.  Not the decision I made, but two bad options on the ballot.  I get it. I'm not angry over that.  What I am angry about are that those same people who repeatedly say they don't support Trump, see Johnny Sack on the Trump thread and innumerable members of Congress and too many of my friends and family, while simultaneously carrying water for Trump as he acts like a racist, misogynistic fucktard.   There's zero justification for supporting his racism and idiocy at this point, regardless of how you voted.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

That didn't cost him that election.  Any more than any one of Swoopes incomplete passes costing us our last game against Arkansas in the Texas Bowl.

This. 

39 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Isn't it absolutely insane, looking through the prism of 2018, that such a minor thing as an awkward and poorly executed rally/pep talk punctuated with a weird scream-like noise was something that was a total deal-breaker back then? That clip posted on the last page wouldn't crack the top 100 of outrageous sound bytes in the 2016 election cycle, but it was enough for all of America to lose their shit and be like, "nope. can't do it. the man is a monster. psycho. who screams like that? can you imagine THAT in the white house? nope."

And the media. Complete character assassination from the media. Just watch the minute long clip to take a jog down that memory lane and do a comparison yourself. Pretty hilarious actually.

Wait, so you are saying the media can overreact and push a narrative based on a silly video or statement? Who knew. 

19 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Wait, so you are saying the media can overreact and push a narrative based on a silly video or statement? Who knew. 

The narrative that The Scream had a significant impact is the false one.

The reality is that his poll numbers had already dropped to the 20s and he performed worse than expected in the early caucuses before The Scream.  He dropped out because he had no chance.

"The Scream ruined him" is just a better story.

Edited by JBJ