Texas roster 2018

Machinator

Offense:
QB (4) - Buechele (Jr), Ehlinger (So), Rising (Fr), C. Thompson (Fr)

RB (7) - Porter (Jr), Houston (Jr), Townsend (Jr), K. Johnson (Jr), Young (So), Carter (So) , Ingram (Fr)

TE (5) - Beck (RS Sr), Brewer (So), Leitao (RS Fr), Max Cummins (RS Fr), Epps (Fr)

WR (10) - Heard (RS Sr), Burt (Sr), C. Johnson (Jr), Dev. Duvernay (Jr), LJH (Jr), Curtis (RS So), Pouncey (RS Fr), Eagles (Fr), Woodard (Fr), J. Moore (Fr)

OT (9) - Anderson (RS Sr), Rodriguez (RS Sr), Urquidez (RS So), Kerstetter (So), Cosmi (RS Fr), Angilau (Fr), Ghirmai (Fr), R. Moore (Fr), C. Jones (Fr)

OG (5) - Vahe (Sr), Okafor (Jr), Imade (RS So), Hudson (RS So), Grandy (So)

C (1) - Shackelford (Jr)

Defense/ST:
DE (10) - Omenihu (Sr), Hager (Sr), Chisholm (Sr), Roach (Jr), Graham (So), Fitzgerald (RS So), Bimage (So), Carson (Fr), Williams (Fr), Ossai (Fr)

DT (5) - Nelson (Sr), Wilbon (Jr), Christmas (Jr), Coburn (Fr), Ojomo (Fr)

LB (8) - Freeman (RS Sr), Wheeler (Sr), G. Johnson (Sr), McCulloch (Jr), D. Boyd (RS So), Adeoye (Fr), Hobbs (Fr)

CB (9) - K. Boyd (Sr), Davis (Sr), Cuffee (RS So), Don. Duvernay (RS So), J. Thompson (So), Boyce (RS Fr), Cook (Fr), Green (Fr), Jamison (Fr)

S (8) - Locke (Sr), Bonney (Sr), B. Jones (Jr), Brown (RS So), Estell (RS Fr), Foster (Fr), Sterns (Fr), Overshown (Fr)

K (2) - Rowland (Sr), Dicker (Fr)

P (1) - Bujcevski (Fr)

Scholarship count now at 83.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Since I made this original post, Townsend made the move to RB, which I've now fixed.

We have two open scholarship spots. We're currently recruiting two graduate transfers, slot WR Tabari Hines from Wake Forest and RB Tre Watson from Cal. I bet there's more attrition and we continue to go after transfer OL.

Copy/pasta from the imposter thread..

Kinda scary to think about how many starters/heavy contributers on defense we'll lose to graduation/eligibility for 2109, not to mention Jr's that could potentially leave early..(Roach, Wilbon, Christmas, B Jones etc..)

1 minute ago, ousux said:

Kinda scary to think about how many starters/heavy contributers on defense we'll lose to graduation/eligibility for 2109, not to mention Jr's that could potentially leave early..(Roach, Wilbon, Christmas, B Jones etc..)

Wilbon and Christmas aren't NFL early entry candidates, unless you mean you think they transfer.

Just now, ousux said:

Copy/pasta from the imposter thread..

That's one of the things that struck me when I took my first look at the roster. 
We keep hoping for the rebuild to take off, but our roster is still wonky. Strong fixed some Mack mistakes but made several of his own.
Herman seems to be doing better than either of them, but his guys are only Sophs. It will take some time before it evens out.

12 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

During the Spring Game, Kerstetter was trying C and Okafor was at tackle.
During practices, E Rod was at RG, but I didn't see where he was in the O/W game.

I didn't watch close enough but from my view most of the OL breakdowns were from Okafor and Urquidez at tackle. Which is why judging much off the spring game is worthless because neither of those guys are going to see many reps at tackle. 

There were still breakdowns inside but the biggest issue from my perspective were Okafor and Urquidez at tackle. 

Edited by texasstrong12

8 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I didn't watch close enough but from my view most of the OL breakdowns were from Okafor and Urquidez at tackle. Which is why judging much off the spring game is worthless because neither of those guys are going to see many reps at tackle

There were still breakdowns inside but the biggest issue from my perspective were Okafor and Urquidez at tackle. 

Well, we hope. Urquidez got smoked multiple times. How much of that was due to our elite DEs is hard to say though.

31 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

Well, we hope. Urquidez got smoked multiple times. How much of that was due to our elite DEs is hard to say though.

I think our pass rush is legit but Urquidez isn't ready. 

Like I said in another thread, I would be more worried about our pass rush/DL if Omenihu and Hager weren't smoking Urquidez and Okafor. Omenihu and Hager should be dominating those guys. 

I don't see Urquidez or Okafor getting many reps at tackle next year unless the injury bug hits again. 

Edited by texasstrong12

I'm not whining. I'm just saying that if we're once again put in the position of having to start our OT3 and OT4 (which is exactly what happened last season), it's not going to be pretty. That's a pretty big "if", but it's not impossible. I don't expect us to be as poor as we were this past season.

Last year's OL issues were an anomaly, but a recurrence is possible.
While the injuries and attrition were higher than average, the lack of depth was the real problem. The loss of 5 upperclassmen puts us at risk once again.
If, however, we have a 'normal' amount of injuries we should be better. Probably not the big leap we were hoping for but improvement nonetheless.

9 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

If Keontay Ingram is half as good as he looks, he will be in heavy rotation this Fall. And bring on the Cal transfer.

Yeah, Ingram is one of my "three", although I may be jumping the gun with a true freshman.

It's not that I don't think Porter is completely useless, but if he sees significant work as RB1 next season I'm going to be quite frustrated.

55 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We have 7 RBs on the roster, but I feel good about maybe 3 of them. That's false depth if I ever saw it.

Very disappointed with both Young and Carter in the O/W game. I'm hoping it was because it was just the 4/21 hangover, but even that is a bad omen.

Young was our only bright spot at RB last year. Carter did well for several games, but Young was better. 
I don't understand Porter. He has talent but it doesn't show on game day. Meanwhile Yoder the walk-on and Houston shine in the spring. 

4 hours ago, taybo20 said:

If Ingram has ball security, he will play. A lot.

Not necessarily. This O asks a lot out of the RB from a blocking standpoint. He likely won’t play much until he proves he can block well, which is a tough task, especially for a lighter TR FR running back.

5 hours ago, Disco Missile said:

Very disappointed with both Young and Carter in the O/W game. I'm hoping it was because it was just the 4/21 hangover, but even that is a bad omen.

Young was our only bright spot at RB last year. Carter did well for several games, but Young was better. 
I don't understand Porter. He has talent but it doesn't show on game day. Meanwhile Yoder the walk-on and Houston shine in the spring. 

He is Tre Newton 2.0. Very good in practice, does all of the right things but only athletic enough to go as far as the play is blocked. The textbook definition of JAG. 

I just read an article where Herman referred to our "two young quarterbacks" in the Spring game, and only after a while realized he wasn't talking about our likely starters for the upcoming season.

How long has it been since that were true? And David Ash doesn't count; I still can't believe anyone thought he'd survive a game, much less a season.

In theory, Kirk Johnson could be an asset if he ever gets healthy. My money's on that not happening.

Houston is scout team fodder and not an optimal use of one of the 85. Hopefully after his junior year he can graduate and find another home where he can actually get playing time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the Tre Watson addition:

Offense:

RB (8) - Watson (Sr), Porter (Jr), Houston (Jr), Townsend (Jr), K. Johnson (Jr), Young (So), Carter (So) , Ingram (Fr)

TE (5) - Beck (RS Sr), Brewer (So), Leitao (RS Fr), Max Cummins (RS Fr), Epps (Fr)

WR (10) - Heard (RS Sr), Burt (Sr), C. Johnson (Jr), Dev. Duvernay (Jr), LJH (Jr), Curtis (RS So), Pouncey (RS Fr), Eagles (Fr), Woodard (Fr), J. Moore (Fr)

OT (9) - Anderson (RS Sr), Rodriguez (RS Sr), Urquidez (RS So), Kerstetter (So), Cosmi (RS Fr), Angilau (Fr), Ghirmai (Fr), R. Moore (Fr), C. Jones (Fr)

C (1) - Shackelford (Jr)

Defense/ST:
DE (10) - Omenihu (Sr), Hager (Sr), Chisholm (Sr), Roach (Jr), Graham (So), Fitzgerald (RS So), Bimage (So), Carson (Fr), Williams (Fr), Ossai (Fr)

LB (8) - Freeman (RS Sr), Wheeler (Sr), G. Johnson (Sr), McCulloch (Jr), D. Boyd (RS So), Adeoye (Fr), Hobbs (Fr)

CB (9) - K. Boyd (Sr), Davis (Sr), Cuffee (RS So), Don. Duvernay (RS So), J. Thompson (So), Boyce (RS Fr), Cook (Fr), Green (Fr), Jamison (Fr)

S (8) - Locke (Sr), Bonney (Sr), B. Jones (Jr), Brown (RS So), Estell (RS Fr), Foster (Fr), Sterns (Fr), Overshown (Fr)

P (1) - Bujcevski (Fr)

Scholarship count now at 84.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skyline said:

That's a lot of Running Backs. I wish we could get another grad transfer at Center or Tackle. 

Porter (who is apparently doing brilliantly at McCombs) and Houston (lol who knows) are probably getting a solid sell about the value of getting your UT degree this year so they can get a nice grad transfer and postgrad degree.

• 1 month later...

With Edwin Freeman grad transferring:

Offense:

RB (8) - Watson (Sr), Porter (Jr), Houston (Jr), Townsend (Jr), K. Johnson (Jr), Young (So), Carter (So) , Ingram (Fr)

C (1) - Shackelford (Jr)

Defense/ST:

LB (6) - Wheeler (Sr), G. Johnson (Sr), McCulloch (Jr), D. Boyd (RS So), Adeoye (Fr), Hobbs (Fr)

P (1) - Bujcevski (Fr)

Scholarship count now at 83.

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Guard and Center not too good.

Guard is actually decent. Out of Vahe, Okafor, Rodriguez, Hudson, Grandy, Angilau  (new redshirt rule works in our favor here), and Imade, I think we can find two decent OGs. Center is a huge issue, of course, and tackle still needs another recruiting cycle, a year or two of development, and maybe another incoming transfer to be in good shape.

The line will get sorted by way of the tackles moving to the interior. We know Hand doesn't run with the traditional method of creating his depth charts. So the bemoaning of having 1 center and 5 guards will be assuaged once the deadzone of the offseason ends and fall camp starts. There is at least enough big bodies on the roster now to be able to let young players develop and grow physically.

20 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I certainly hope we didn’t sign only one OT in that class.

I think Elmer Fudd is way premature in deeming Christian Jones an interior guy. He has prototypical tackle size and frame, but he needs at least two offseasons before he sees the field. Also, Angilau can play RT, but his ceiling is probably OG.