2018 College World Series

sidis

Had to look up the records to see who was first in titles, I forgot that USC used to have a good baseball program.  How do you burn down that type of program?
Nebraska football gives a soft shoulder shrug, walks sheepishly to the corner of the room, sits on the floor and begins to sob quietly

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

I’m  still bitter about the College World Series loss to Wichita State and Dan Dreifort. That year they changed the championship game format to a winner take all, yet we hadn’t lost a game all series. Dreifort beat us but we would’ve brought back  dressendorfer for the finale. Let’s win this one for Kirk !!

CBS insisted on that, they didn't want the scheduling uncertainty of a possible game 3.  Scumbags.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

CBS insisted on that, they didn't want the scheduling uncertainty of a possible game 3.  Scumbags.

Hold on. So the championship game wasn’t always winner take all before we lost to Whitchita St?? Btw I’m 38 before anybody talks shit about me not knowing that lol

that game was one of the first games I remember watching the Horns play. 

25 minutes ago, BERT said:

Hold on. So the championship game wasn’t always winner take all before we lost to Whitchita St?? Btw I’m 38 before anybody talks shit about me not knowing that lol

that game was one of the first games I remember watching the Horns play. 

We were the first team in maybe forever to leave Omaha with only one loss and no trophy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeadArmadillo said:

Nebraska football gives a soft shoulder shrug, walks sheepishly to the corner of the room, sits on the floor and begins to sob quietly

just like Lawrence Phillip's girlfriend...  fuck you dirty huskers, fuck you

Just booked my trip.  I'm going up Saturday evening and coming back Wednesday morning so I can see the first two games.  Only hotel I could get was Quality Inn in Council Bluffs, but fuck it I'm not planning on spending much time there and it looks convenient to Downtown and the ball park.  I really wanted my daughter to come with me she is a big Horns fan and is the only one who will go to the baseball games with me.  She was with me for the regional and the final game of the super regional.  Unfortunately, she has a summer program that starts Monday morning and I can't find any flight that will get her back in time so she could at least see the Sunday game.

You’ll love it. Council Bluffs is easy. Glad you’re going!
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

We were the first team in maybe forever to leave Omaha with only one loss and no trophy.

I just looked that season up, and unless Wikipedia is wrong (impossible), witchita state sent FSU home with a single loss in that CWS too. 

This new format is the only correct way to do it.  

I just looked that season up, and unless Wikipedia is wrong (impossible), witchita state sent FSU home with a single loss in that CWS too. 

The original double elimination format was better, not two brackets just straight up undefeateds in the winner bracket three straight rounds and a massive dog fight in the losers bracket. The drama in the losers bracket was so intense. No reset after surviving a 4 team bracket, you had to make it all the way through perfect including beating an undefeated twice in a row at the end to win the title.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jinx said:

Nope.  Wikipedia shows FSU beating Wichita once and Wichita beating FSU twice.

3 hours ago, sidis said:

i was really young for the wichita state loss but was very much a fan during the fullerton and lsu losses.  fullerton makes me more angry.  we had absolutely fucking steamrolled everything along the way in 2004 and looked unstoppable.  i've never seen such a hot player completely lose it like drew stubbs did in that final series and it killed us.  he redeemed it next year but man, he disappeared. 

we had a relative layup in the regional being the 1 seed and crushing younstown and oral roberts twice.  i was at all three.  then we utterly buttfucked vanderbilt in the supers 15-3 and 10-2...was at both of those.  i remember vandy had some top draft pick pitcher that came in talking a bit of shit and we scored 15 with a few homers that still haven't come down. 

show up to omaha and face arky in the first round (sound familiar?) and they had some hot shit pitcher as well.  game was over in the first inning and we won 13-2.  then we beat georgia's ass in game 2 9-3.  we finally got a close one against georgia when they came back from beating arizona but prevailed 7-6.  we had not lost a single game and really only played one close one in the entire postseason.  i was 100% confident we would destroy fullerton who had to go through the losers' bracket in their own regional, and dropped a game in omaha as well.  fucking snake bit.

09 pissed me off as well because we were so damned sloppy in how we lost game 1 and 3.  but jungmann put on a hell of a show in game 2.

Wichita State still hurts. Just like when Texas lost to Georgia at the Cotton Bowl Jan 2, ‘84. Painful. Forever!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeadArmadillo said:

They used their best reliever to beat Tech on a Tuesday but got the Wednesday game called because of very light rain.

Bitches were afraid to give Tech a chance even the series

Lol. Arkansas threw 3 pitchers. One who has already transferred due to playing time. Another who is terrible, and Barrett Loseke, who Arkansas’ third best reliever. And the game wasn’t even close.  And the vaunted Tech offense amassed 4 hits and 1 run against that group with 17! strikeouts.  And Arkansas two best players ( Shaddy and Martin) didn’t even play in the game.

Who wouldn’t be scared of playing that squad again. 

That was then.  This team is on a mission.  They have the skills.  We will see if they have the patience, temperament, and get the hits with RISP!(not to mention great defense and pitching)  

Texas teams win with solid leadership from guys like Clemens and McKenzie(great playoffs so far), even Ryan Reynolds clutch hitting on Monday, etc, etc.  The players have to get it done in the clutch to win.  Win the fucking games one by one.  Arkansas is next.

Edited by zork

8 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I kind of enjoy going to SECRant, because every other school's posters hate A&M and make fun of them, but there are still a few aggies hanging around, desperate for acceptance, taking the hate.  This one from last week made me blow my drink out my nose:

mule.jpg

Aggy hanging with the rest of the SEC:

Edited by J.R. Juniors Junior Jr.
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, troph said:

The original double elimination format was better, not two brackets just straight up undefeateds in the winner bracket three straight rounds and a massive dog fight in the losers bracket. The drama in the losers bracket was so intense. No reset after surviving a 4 team bracket, you had to make it all the way through perfect including beating an undefeated twice in a row at the end to win the title.

I agree but I do like the 3 game series to settle the championship and I'll take this over the bullshit we got fed against Wichita St by CBS.  that was after the bullshit Spike Owen call.  the 80's were just constant kicks in the nuts.

2 hours ago, DaysOff said:

It was a double elimination tournament. Losing for the first time shouldn't eliminate you.

Today, the CWS is basically an 8 team Regionals/Super Regionals.  We have 2 4-team double-elimination "Regionals" going on separate from one another.  And then the 2 winners play in a best 2-of-3 "Super Regionals". Since 2003, you can actually lose 2 times and still win it all....

And I really like the setup now.

It might have been posted before, but Augie's 1st title in 2002 was the last year of the winner take all title game.  We entered that game against South Carolina with 0 losses in the 4-team double elimination set up with wins over Rice, Stanford 2-times. That was also the last year the CWS finals were on CBS (all the other games leading up were on espn).

I’m pretty sure Texas is the only team ever to get sent home with one loss. I haven’t looked it up, but I’m old and know shit.
  • Like 1

You definitely want to go to the titters on the Council Bluffs side.  The Razzle Dazzle used to be the best/closest one over there.

On the Nebraska side, they have to keep their nipples covered.  (No, I'm not joking; it's pathetic.)

My daughter would be really happy if I came home with a new mom for her.

36 minutes ago, RD3 said:

Today, the CWS is basically an 8 team Regionals/Super Regionals.  We have 2 4-team double-elimination "Regionals" going on separate from one another.  And then the 2 winners play in a best 2-of-3 "Super Regionals". Since 2003, you can actually lose 2 times and still win it all....

And I really like the setup now.

It might have been posted before, but Augie's 1st title in 2002 was the last year of the winner take all title game.  We entered that game against South Carolina with 0 losses in the 4-team double elimination set up with wins over Rice, Stanford 2-times. That was also the last year the CWS finals were on CBS (all the other games leading up were on espn).

I like the symmetry of the current 4-team tournament, 2-team best-of-3-series, 4-team tournament, 2-team best-of-3-series format.

But I actually MUCH preferred the 6-team regionals from the late 80s through the late 90s.  It was an incredibly fun, festival atmosphere with so many diverse teams and fan bases, in a 6-game double elimination tournament that could last almost a week.  I found that to be a lot more fun than the 4-team regional and then a 2-team super-regional.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BERT said:

Is it bad that the '09 CWS still pisses me off? 

I haven't gotten over that 9th inning in game 1 when we brought in Taylor Jungmann.... He had a great game2 but we pissed away game1...

14 hours ago, utee94 said:

Arkansas is really good, playing them on Sunday will be a tremendous challenge.  I think the Horns are quite a bit better than they were back in mid-March but I can understand piggy confidence for this one.  It's up to the Horns to change that.  I like our chances.

Kendall Rogers had them as his team to win it all. They are good.

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

Lol. Arkansas threw 3 pitchers. One who has already transferred due to playing time. Another who is terrible, and Barrett Loseke, who Arkansas’ third best reliever. And the game wasn’t even close.  And the vaunted Tech offense amassed 4 hits and 1 run against that group with 17! strikeouts.  And Arkansas two best players ( Shaddy and Martin) didn’t even play in the game.

Who wouldn’t be scared of playing that squad again. 

The team that refused to come out and play the second game or go on the road to play in Lubbock.  The day of the second game it rained less than a half inch in Fayetteville, but the game was called well before first pitch and Arkansas made zero attempt to play, even though you have field turf.  Tech was in no hurry to leave.  They spent Wednesday night in NW Arkansas and then bussed to Fort Worth on Thursday.  The game could have started and finished Thursday late morning if needed.  You only need five innings for an official game.  Tadlock wanted to do that, but VanHorn was not willing to even start.  He got his win and would not risk a home loss 

That's a team that is scared to play a good team on the road out of conference.  Go to Lubbock or Fort Worth or Austin and play a two or three game series then come on here and talk.  Until the pigs actually go on the road and play a real out of conference game, what have you really done?  Yell SEC a few times and act like that alone makes you good?

Tech and Arkansas are on the same side of the bracket.  You can't run from good teams in Omaha.  And you can't hide in the locker room and whine that it's too damp to play.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I like the symmetry of the current 4-team tournament, 2-team best-of-3-series, 4-team tournament, 2-team best-of-3-series format.

But I actually MUCH preferred the 6-team regionals from the late 80s through the late 90s.  It was an incredibly fun, festival atmosphere with so many diverse teams and fan bases, in a 6-game double elimination tournament that could last almost a week.  I found that to be a lot more fun than the 4-team regional and then a 2-team super-regional.  

It made for fun Regionals,  but was murder on pitching staffs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, troph said:

I prefer this method because what if the teams we are playing are better than the teams in the other half? The winner in the other half isn't playing our teams so let's reset and do best of 3.

The only thing wrong with the current format was revealed  when Oregon State showed how a team could win the championship while losing two games in Omaha.  IIRC, before then, that had never happened.  In previous formats it couldn't happen.  I will also agree the one game championship series was awful.

Edited by J.R. Juniors Junior Jr.

4 hours ago, troph said:

This is the correct answer.

8 hours ago, DeadArmadillo said:

The team that refused to come out and play the second game or go on the road to play in Lubbock.  The day of the second game it rained less than a half inch in Fayetteville, but the game was called well before first pitch and Arkansas made zero attempt to play, even though you have field turf.  Tech was in no hurry to leave.  They spent Wednesday night in NW Arkansas and then bussed to Fort Worth on Thursday.  The game could have started and finished Thursday late morning if needed.  You only need five innings for an official game.  Tadlock wanted to do that, but VanHorn was not willing to even start.  He got his win and would not risk a home loss 

That's a team that is scared to play a good team on the road out of conference.  Go to Lubbock or Fort Worth or Austin and play a two or three game series then come on here and talk.  Until the pigs actually go on the road and play a real out of conference game, what have you really done?  Yell SEC a few times and act like that alone makes you good?

Tech and Arkansas are on the same side of the bracket.  You can't run from good teams in Omaha.  And you can't hide in the locker room and whine that it's too damp to play.

Every bit of that is comical including Baum has field turf.  I'm sorry your lineup struck out 17 times against a bunch of second rate pitchers, in a midweek loss to an Arkansas team playing without its two best players.  But at least you get the opportunity to come on a Texas message board and claim it was against Arkansas' best reliever.   No doubt Arkansas was scared to death after that experience the night before.

Evidently it was a really important series for y'all and you got embarrassed and have the sads that you didn't get to try and split the series.  I know this - at the time, your fanbase was thrilled the second game was cancelled.  Hope you have better luck going forward.

10 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

It made for fun Regionals,  but was murder on pitching staffs.

6 team regionals were awesome actually.  but yeah it was murder.  I think they may have changed it to expand to 64 but it is probably better for the players too.

13 hours ago, troph said:

I liked that old way better, too.  Same format for 8 regionals, too, which was pretty cool.