Sometimes life throws you a curveball

XYZ

21 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Sorry, Bro. That sucks. But he passed knowing he had an awesome son who I'm sure he was proud of. I can't imagine how many times he bragged to his buddies that his kid was sending him to Italy.

This.  God bless your father and family.  

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

Last May was my dad's 80th birthday. To celebrate it, I bought my parents and me plane tickets to go to Italy and visit the towns were his ancestors lived. That's what was supposed to happen. What actually happened was that one week before the trip, my mom calls me to tell me that we had to cancel the trip because my dad fell, was taken to a hospital, and they did some kind of imaging and found a brain tumor. I didn't get to say happy birthday to him because he was not lucid. He died this morning. I'm glad he didn't suffer for very long.

We all have to die, and when we die, we will all leave something undone.

What we don't all get is a son who buys us tickets to Italy. You did right by your father, and I bet he appreciated you.

• Like 1

Same exact story for me, minus the planned trip.  "Dad keeps falling, I couldn't get him up this time, we're at the hosptial, they see something on the image."

He died less than 6 months later.

It will never get easier but you will feel his presence as a guiding light.  It is strangely comforting.  Sorry for your loss.  RIP to Mr. XYZ.

Sorry for your loss, but at least it was quick and he didn't suffer. My Dad was in and out of the hospital for years, wiped out his savings on medical bills and lived a pretty miserable existence before he died. To be fair, he was a raging alcoholic that smoked 3 packs of Camels a day and brought most of his health problems on himself.

Damn man.   So sorry to hear about this.   We’re scheduling the same trip for my dad/mom next summer for their 40th anniversary.  I know how excited I am about it, and no doubt you were in the same boat. God comfort you and your family.  

Surl hug to you @XYZ. Life's a bitch, but at least you have a place to vent. You have a realistic outlook on the situation with your dad. Try to be there for mom as much as possible. Obviously, I don't know her - but if you can get her to open up and talk about her feelings, that would be a start. I know we're men, but it's healthy to speak about your feelings as well (especially to mom). My mother taught me that the night must give way to the day, so this dark time will pass for you. Hang in there!

On 6/11/2018 at 4:04 PM, Cheeseweasel said:

Sorry, Bro. That sucks. But he passed knowing he had an awesome son who I'm sure he was proud of. I can't imagine how many times he bragged to his buddies that his kid was sending him to Italy.

On 6/11/2018 at 4:36 PM, orange dream said:

Hate to hear that.  I know it isn't much consolation at this point, but if he was still at a spot at 80 where he could consider a trip to Italy he had lived a great life and beaten the house.

RIP to your dad.

Both of these.  Your dad had a great run and was a great enough dad to have a son who wanted to send him to Italy at 80.  I promise you he told all of his friends about it and they wished their kids would have done something like that.

Sorry to hear about your dad but congrats for having a great one.