Michael Dickson

Machinator

• 1 month later...

Michael Dickson meets clause in contract, receives significant pay increase for 2021

ByJEFF HOWE Feb 28, 2021

The Seattle Seahawks trading up to snag former Texas punter Michael Dickson in the fifth round of the 2018 NFL Draft reportedly drew laughter from one franchise, but Dickson is now laughing all the way to the bank. According to a report from SBNation property Field Gulls, Dickson hit a Proven Performance Escalator in his rookie contract by way of earning a first-ballot Pro Bowl bid in 2018, which has him in line for a significant raise for his fourth season in the league.

How significant? Dickson is entitled to a salary increase equal to a second-round tender, which is estimated to be $3.384 million (subject to change pending the finalization of the salary cap) in 2021, a nice bump from a 2020 base salary of $750,000.

Dickson’s salary could match that of his former Texas teammate Poona Ford. The Seahawks are expected to tender Ford with a second-round tender as a restricted free agent, which means any other club looking to pluck the 2017 Big 12 Defensive Lineman of the Year away from the franchise would have to send a second-round draft choice to Seattle in return.

Dickson’s Pro Bowl berth came in his rookie season when he was also named first-team All-Pro, finishing second in the league in 2018 in yards per punt (48.2). In 2020, Dickson set a career-high by averaging 49.6 yards per punt, which was the second-best average in the league.

Dickson also led the NFL with 32 punts downed inside the 20-yard line while his net punting average (44.4) ranked No. 3 in the league. After going through his final season on the Forty Acres with former head coach unwilling to mention him by name when speaking with reporters, Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll heaped a lot of praise on Dickson and kicker Jason Myers (24-of-24 on field goals, including a franchise-record 61-yard kick) in his final press conference before entering the offseason.

"Look at our kickers, man, our kickers were phenomenal this year," Carroll said. "I haven't mentioned Jason Myers; I didn't talk about him at all because he had that streak going, so we just stayed away from it, but what a great, great season he had. Mike's a great player too."

Dickson left the Texas program with one season of eligibility remaining, but he departed after compiling one of the best individual seasons in program history. After coming to Texas from the ProKick Australia program, Dickson was the 2016 Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Year, a first-team All-Big 12 selection, a second-team All-American and a finalist for the Ray Guy Award in the season before he solidified himself as arguably the best punter in school history.

Dickson’s 2017 season saw him match his school record of 47.4 yards per punt while establishing new school single-season marks for punts (84) and punting yards (3.084) en route to winning the Ray Guy Award as the nation’s top punter. The program’s all-time leader in punting average (45.32), total punts (226) and total punting yards (10,242), Dickson was a unanimous All-American, was named Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Year for the second year in a row and a first-team All-Big 12 selection.

Dickson capped his career with an MVP performance in the team’s Texas Bowl win over Missouri. In the 33-16 victory, 10 of Dickson’s 11 punts were downed inside the 20-yard line.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Michael-Dickson-Texas-Longhorns-football-Seattle-Seahawks-significant-pay-increase-2021-Proven-Performance-Escalator-161669033/

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I remember well the 2018 draft. I watch all of them because I am a dork. But I remember when Seattle traded up to get him and they showed the Denver Broncos war room and Elway and others were laughing their asses off. Is it funny now Denver? Ha ha! 🤘

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, texifornia said:

I mean, yeah, Charlie fucked us and Herman hadn't gotten us up to his own level of slightly-above-mediocrity, but Dickson singlehandedly fucking Mizzou's shit up was admittedly hilarious.

I still go back and watch that game whenever I want a good laugh.  What's scary is that game may rank in the top 10 of Longhorns single game player performances.

• Hook 'Em 1

I give it top 10 in the decade, quite easily.  After all of the Vince and Colt performances, I put it next in line for performance of the century.  It would probably be in the top ten of the 90s, had it occurred then.  

That bowl game always reminds me how a punter really can control a football game. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I wish there was a follow up to this. I bet after Dickson's performance they changed their tune and thought "good move " by Seattle

22 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

I give it top 10 in the decade, quite easily.  After all of the Vince and Colt performances, I put it next in line for performance of the century.  It would probably be in the top ten of the 90s, had it occurred then.  

That bowl game always reminds me how a punter really can control a football game. 

As stupid as it was, I was almost excited to watch him punt (yeah the team sucked). Was like watching Tiger pitch from 100 out and seeing how close he could stick it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/3/2021 at 1:44 AM, orangecat92 said:

Of the 10 out of 11 punts "inside" the 20 .... ZERO between 20 and 15 yard lines; TWO between 15 and 10 yard lines; FOUR between 10 and 5 yard lines, and; FOUR BETWEEN 5 yard line and Goal line.

5 hours ago, Lidig8r said:

Of the 10 out of 11 punts "inside" the 20 .... ZERO between 20 and 15 yard lines; TWO between 15 and 10 yard lines; FOUR between 10 and 5 yard lines, and; FOUR BETWEEN 5 yard line and Goal line.

He was like an ace pitcher just fanning the entire team over and over. Beautiful

On 3/3/2021 at 6:20 AM, Mr. Drummond said:

My memory might be off, but didn't he almost beat Okie lite by himself as well.  I remember gundy on the field after the game saying something like "that punter almost beat us" .   Just sad.   But Dickson is awesome.

Yes. I remember 100% Gundy without a question even being asked volunteered opinion that the punter nearly beat them by himself.  

9 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

John Elway is a great qb, but he's a fucking moron at drafting his own fucking position. Maybe he shouldn't be laughing at anyone.  

Drew Lock

Chad Kelly

Paxton Lynch

Trevor Siemian 

Brock Osweiler 

He got so much hype as a GM because of Peyton coming over and the super bowl but since then he's been really bad.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He got so much hype as a GM because of Peyton coming over and the super bowl but since then he's been really bad.

Yep, I was gonna say this, but figuit it was known. What's weird is he's done pretty well for defense, but yeah, the dude can't even draft a barely serviceable QB. He's pretty much a dumbass. 

17 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Yep, I was gonna say this, but figuit it was known. What's weird is he's done pretty well for defense, but yeah, the dude can't even draft a barely serviceable QB. He's pretty much a dumbass. 

I always thought he signed Manning's corpse because Tebow was popular with a lot of the fan base and he couldn't cut him without bringing in a big name. 

3 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

I always thought he signed Manning's corpse because Tebow was popular with a lot of the fan base and he couldn't cut him without bringing in a big name. 

41 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Yep. Forgot about Tebow. Oof. 

He became GM in early 2011. Tebow was drafted in the 2010 draft. He's drafted a lot of shitty QB's but was at least smart enough to know that Tebow was a fucking bust. And as a broncos fan, I thought that was exactly why Elway brought in Manning. I personally didnt care if Peyton's head fell off the first week of fall camp, giving reason to shitcan Tebow's sorry ass was worth the signing alone. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

He became GM in early 2011. Tebow was drafted in the 2010 draft. He's drafted a lot of shitty QB's but was at least smart enough to know that Tebow was a fucking bust. And as a broncos fan, I thought that was exactly why Elway brought in Manning. I personally didnt care if Peyton's head fell off the first week of fall camp, giving reason to shitcan Tebow's sorry ass was worth the signing alone. 

You're right, good call. I thought he was 2010, but he was promoted in 2011. I do wonder if he had any say in the Tebow pick before he was given his current role?

14 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

You're right, good call. I thought he was 2010, but he was promoted in 2011. I do wonder if he had any say in the Tebow pick before he was given his current role?

Obviously, I have no inside information, but I'd say, not just no, but Hell, no. 

First, the organization shit a collective brick when Josh McDaniels drafted him in the first round. 

Second, I was watching a Monday Night Football game, Broncos against the Jets. Tebow engineered a comeback in the final minutes. When the Broncos scored the winning touchdown, they did a camera shot of John Elway in the luxury suite. He wasn't celebrating. He looked like the Kingpin after Daredevil foiled one of his plots. 

Elway was pissed that Tebow had that six game winning streak, cause he wanted someone else at QB. John Fox had replaced McDaniels, and figured he'd throw Tebow in there over Kyle Orton when the team was sitting at 1-4. Neither Fox or Elway expected the winning streak, especially when most of them were nail biting come from behind wins. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/15/2021 at 1:10 PM, Machinator said:

Love dickson and i guess this stat is interesting but really hate the nerdification of football. It isn't baseball, fuck fantasy league stats, no need to know who has more receiving yards at night, in over 85 degrees Fahrenheit, in october, in cities west of 94 degrees longitude, when the moon is waning... hate that shit. See ball, hit ballcarrier; see endzone, run that way, fuck all the rest. 

On 3/6/2021 at 1:00 PM, Richard Kimball said:

Obviously, I have no inside information, but I'd say, not just no, but Hell, no. 

First, the organization shit a collective brick when Josh McDaniels drafted him in the first round. 

Second, I was watching a Monday Night Football game, Broncos against the Jets. Tebow engineered a comeback in the final minutes. When the Broncos scored the winning touchdown, they did a camera shot of John Elway in the luxury suite. He wasn't celebrating. He looked like the Kingpin after Daredevil foiled one of his plots. 

Elway was pissed that Tebow had that six game winning streak, cause he wanted someone else at QB. John Fox had replaced McDaniels, and figured he'd throw Tebow in there over Kyle Orton when the team was sitting at 1-4. Neither Fox or Elway expected the winning streak, especially when most of them were nail biting come from behind wins. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMVnLsODqqg

Love dickson and i guess this stat is interesting but really hate the nerdification of football. It isn't baseball, fuck fantasy league stats, no need to know who has more receiving yards at night, in over 85 degrees Fahrenheit, in october, in cities west of 94 degrees longitude, when the moon is waning... hate that shit. See ball, hit ballcarrier; see endzone, run that way, fuck all the rest. 

What a miserable fucking take. Why would you hate such a fantastically nerdy bit of trivia?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

What a miserable fucking take. Why would you hate such a fantastically nerdy bit of trivia?

B/c it is insidious and permeates all of the nfl unnecessarily. Dickson ran fast, great, who gives a shit about next gen stats. I’m comfortable with knowing Dickson is a bad ass and great longhorn and can run down a motherfucker after a kick ass punt, but give no fucks about stat minutiae. 

Edited by achooloco