Michael Dickson

Machinator

I wouldn't be shocked to see a team take him in the late 3rd or 4th.  As pointed out:  good punting is something that your average fan totally ignores, but smart teams know is a critical and hard to find element of the game.  You need to pin the opponent inside there 10? Done.  Against a sideline to prevent a dangerous returner from getting loose? No Problem.  You need to completely flip the field and force an O to go the distance late in the game? Dicko will drop a 60+ punt reliably. Dickson fits the Planet theory in this regard. 

Ask the Raiders if they thought they got good value for Lechler in the 5th round.  As somebody else pointed out:  Should you reach on an athletic linebacker with character problems or Dickerson in the late 3rd? Which one is more likely to hit and turn into a probowler for you?  I'd argue he actually has second round value to the right team, but that's probably too rich for most people.

Edited by Bateshorn

On 4/8/2018 at 4:02 PM, Zone Read said:

Missouri started on their 3, 9, 12, 10, 7, 3 and 2.  That's just crazy.   

NOT A SINGLE ONE OF HIS PUNTS HAD A RETURN!

his punts ended up at the 3, 9, 12, 10, 7 ,3, 14, 2, 10, 4.... and finally the 50 yard lines.

literally his only punt that wasnt at or inside the 14 yard line was the punt he had to make from 4 yards deep in his own endzone. and that one ended up at the 50

If there was every a more dominant game by a college punter I've never heard of it.  Amazing stats and effect on the game.  Actually one of the more dominant games by any player at their respective position in a long time.  

Just now, UDontKnow said:

He was a 1st rounder. Taken 17th overall.

Incredible!  Think about Shane Lechler as a punter and the career he has had.  If you could go draft Lechler today give his production, where would he go?  5th round?  If so, then maybe they took Dickson at the right place.  Yes, I'm saying that Dickson has the potential to be as productive in the NFL as Lechler!

I noticed that Dickson (and the other Aussie punter we got) follow through with their knee bent and toe down.  The classic punter follow through is a straight leg with a high toe.  Dickson is small guy and doesn't seem to have especially powerful legs.  I wonder if the Australian rules way of kicking that that school teachers is just better.  If you follow through with knee bent more rotational inertia of your leg is transferred to the ball instead of staying in your leg?

6a5cb620500c3bfc924b65257bc73e33.jpg920x920.jpg

1 hour ago, Nonbryan said:

Incredible!  Think about Shane Lechler as a punter and the career he has had.  If you could go draft Lechler today give his production, where would he go?  5th round?  If so, then maybe they took Dickson at the right place.  Yes, I'm saying that Dickson has the potential to be as productive in the NFL as Lechler!

he was drafted in the 5th, the same year as janikowski. the raiders took kickers in the 1st and 5th round

21 hours ago, Nonbryan said:

Lechler outkicked his coverage on a regular basis. Sure, he was great compared to the vast majority of other punters, but I'll take a guy with Dicko's directional control any day. I think he's got a chance to be "the guy" for punting, the way Ray Guy used to be. Simply unbelievable control. I mean, he was basically playing pitch-and-catch with his gunner any time he kicked from anywhere close to midfield. Mind-blowing.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

I noticed that Dickson (and the other Aussie punter we got) follow through with their knee bent and toe down.  The classic punter follow through is a straight leg with a high toe.  Dickson is small guy and doesn't seem to have especially powerful legs.  I wonder if the Australian rules way of kicking that that school teachers is just better.  If you follow through with knee bent more rotational inertia of your leg is transferred to the ball instead of staying in your leg?

Dickson is 6’3, 205. He’s not a small guy by any means and he’s pretty built. 

I do think following through with a bent knee probably allows the punter to create more torque than if he tries to follow through with a straight leg. I’m sure most punters are starting to be taught to kick like the Aussies considering how much success they’re having. 

He is an absolute steal in the 5th. He will be punting well into his 40s, and giving much more than he will ever get. The NFL is so dumb in some ways. Take QBs in the 1st who are mostly flops, but leave a for sure game changer til the 5th. Idiots.

• Like 1

Not that I think Dickson is going to be anything besides a stud, but I'd wager that the difference between the best punter in the league and the 16th-best punter in the league is much smaller than that between the best QB and the 16th-best QB. Not to mention the relative impact of a QB on the game vs. that of a punter.

Hell, look at UT. We had the best punter in the country and QB play that was right around 90th best. Now let's say we had the 90th-best punter and the best QB. Do we still go 7-6?

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Not that I think Dickson is going to be anything besides a stud, but I'd wager that the difference between the best punter in the league and the 16th-best punter in the league is much smaller than that between the best QB and the 16th-best QB. Not to mention the relative impact of a QB on the game vs. that of a punter.

Hell, look at UT. We had the best punter in the country and QB play that was right around 90th best. Now let's say we had the 90th-best punter and the best QB. Do we still go 7-6?

Thanks for informing us the QB position is more important than punter. I do think Dickson should have been taken in the third round if you're looking at expected values though.

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Best QB? Or best QB production? Those are two different things. The best QB behind that OL would still not have been all that great.

• Like 1

He made our defense better and our offense less worse. I’d say we won 2 games last year because of him vs some avg college punter.  Also stayed a field goal or 2 closer to the teams we lost to because of him.  He was a weapon. 

Edited by EZ$

12 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Thanks for informing us the QB position is more important than punter. I do think Dickson should have been taken in the third round if you're looking at expected values though.

Sure. That's a bit of a reach for me, but with Dickson's elite placement and consistency, I can buy it. But acting like letting him drop to the 5th is some massive blunder by GMs on par with drafting projects at QB in the first round is silly.

Poona Ford going undrafted bothers me much more.

21 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

6a5cb620500c3bfc924b65257bc73e33.jpg920x920.jpg

He said in a interview that that was the way they kicked in Aussie rules. Probably helps with control and hang time. Those are more important where he grew up than absolutely kicking the shit out of the ball.