Vote for Augie as most iconic coach in CWS history

Goo Punch

38 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I may be a homer, but in my mind it's not even close.  None of the others did it with two different universities and that means it's the coach.

Not only that he did it multiple times at each school. And how about the fact that every single class he ever signed at Texas went to Omaha. He's the definition of a legend.

I voted for Augie, but this is impressive:

-Won more games at the College World Series than anyone else

-His 11 national championships are more than twice that of the next closest coach

-Five straight national championships

-Won nearly 80 percent of the games he coached in Omaha

5 minutes ago, n64ra said:

I voted for Augie, but this is impressive:

-Won more games at the College World Series than anyone else

-His 11 national championships are more than twice that of the next closest coach

-Five straight national championships

-Won nearly 80 percent of the games he coached in Omaha

Yeah, Dedeaux's resume is impressive, no doubt.  What tips it to Augie for me is that he did it in multiple eras, including the more recent era when the sport is much more competitive than it was when the USC dynasty was in place.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Yeah, Dedeaux's resume is impressive, no doubt.  What tips it to Augie for me is that he did it in multiple eras, including the more recent era when the sport is much more competitive than it was when the USC dynasty was in place.

this is why Augie got my vote

12 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

It appears that you can go back and vote again...and again...and again with no notice that you’ve already voted. 

Thanks for that. You are correct. I just went back and voted again for the second time today. And will again after I’m done here. 

The link so that you don’t have to go back to the top for it:

http://dataomaha.com/media/sports/2018/cws/legends/index.html

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

Yeah.   I really appreciate what Augie did but 11 national titles is pretty damn impressive.

It is, but the tournament/CWS format back then was arguably less competitive than it is today or has been for a number of years. Augie won em in a variety of formats.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Yeah, Dedeaux's titles are gaudy but it's pretty glaring how he only made it to Omaha once after the tournament changed to a regional format in 1975 and USC suddenly had to do more than just beat Cal State LA or Occidental or Portland in a three-game series to win District 8.

So  the argument against Dedeuax is that his tournaments were easier from the late 40's to mid 70's of winning consistently?   Isn't that like aggy saying our regional was easy while they were included in the regional?  If they were so easy why didn't anyone else win them?

Don't get me wrong, Augie belongs on the Mt Rushmore of college baseball for what he did at Cal State Fullerton alone.  But your argument for him is basically "durr, he coached Texas"

Of course in this era Rod would have been fired in 1967 for being a has been.

Edited by petscii
went full derka...
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, petscii said:

So  the argument against Dedeuax is that his tournaments were easier from the late 40's to mid 70's of winning consistently?   Isn't that like aggy saying our regional was easy while they were included in the regional?  If they were so easy why didn't anyone else win them?

Don't get me wrong, Augie belongs on the Mt Rushmore of college baseball for what he did at Cal State Fullterton alone.  But you argument for him is basically "durr, he coached Texas"

Of course in this era Rod would have been fired in 1967 for being a has been.

Well, as opposed to plowing through a field of 48 and then 64, being picked as essentially a top 8 seed and going straight to the CWS to play double elimination.  Yeah, that's easier.

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, as opposed to plowing through a field of 48 and then 64, being picked as essentially a top 8 seed and going straight to the CWS to play double elimination.  Yeah, that's easier.

It's like the John Wooden argument -- the playoffs were easier, but you did have to win your conference to get into them.

A lot of Gus's CWS appearances came from beating Trinity or Pan Am or LaTech in the regionals.  But he had to win the SWC to make the regionals.